Tachyons, perhaps.

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Shado

Tachyons, perhaps.

Post by Shado »

If tachyons exits, is it possible that some of them are somehow slowed to the speed of light? Wouldn't this cause them to radiate some type of energy, and possibly quite a lot of it? Might this be the nature of "dark" energy, or possibly a source for "dark" matter? I sure don't know, but it is fun to speculate!! I do know, howver, it is possible to solve some actual inductive-capacitive circuits using "imaginary" numbers.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Tachyons, perhaps.

Post by Sy Borg »

How do you visualise them? Like neutrinos, just whizzing around with no obvious purpose or function, barely interacting with matter?

My favourite dark energy hypothesis is that it's caused by clumps of antimatter exerting repulsive gravity (antigravity) from the relative voids of intergalactic space. news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/0 ... e-science/

It makes me wonder if intergalactic travel is physically even possible - I can't imagine good things happening to a space craft made of matter passing through a vast antimatter field. Or maybe it would have the potential to act as wormholes?

Yep, it's fun to speculate :)
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Shado

Post by Shado »

I would imagine them as quanta, in their supra-light configuration, as long as they are travelling above light speed. In theory, they could only exist in what we call the past at that rate. However, if they possess any quanta-like characteristics, rather similar to light, they may undergo refraction somehow, which would slow them and release some form of energy. If they were to slow to any velocity below c, I imagine they would probably collapse into particles and release a tremendous amount of energy. Ergo, my "dark" energy and "dark" matter hypothesis. Of course, that and a fiver might get you a Balti...

I can definitely see a case for antimatter being the cause of an accelerating universe, if the clumps were as big as planets. This would seem to give rise to a sort of "annihalition buffer zone" , where matter and antimatter encounter each other. A tremdendous amount of energy to be had there, as well. This is assuming space is a generally uniform construct, which we can not know for sure.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It's an intriguing thought - that something travelling faster than the speed of light would effectively travel to the past. I like the idea of superspeed particles being slowed to a point where they become what we think of as "matter", and then entropy/time begins for them.

I wonder if experimental clues could be found in the experiments by physicist, Kater Murch, where quantum particles were found to be affected by affected by future observations? ibtimes.co.uk/time-runs-bizarre-quantum ... re-1487456. We knew quantum particles were affected by current observations but they are also equally pulled and pushed by the past and future.

Maybe something moving faster than light is involved in those interactions?
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Diploid

Post by Diploid »

There are two parts to the question of time travel, into the past and into the future. I'll cover the simpler one first, to the future.

Time travel to the future is possible, but there's a catch (see below). Believe it or not, EVERY time you move with respect to something else, you travel into the future with respect to the not-moving object. This is a consequence of the theory of Special Relativity.

The time predictions of the theory have long ago been confirmed experimentally and are actually used in practical applications like GPS where very accurate timing is important. If the very slight time travel of the GPS satellites were not corrected for in the equations that characterize the system, GPS would not work. I mean this literally. GPS satellites time travel into the future. Really!

In fact, everything that moves with respect to something else time travels. When you fly somewhere in an airliner, you time travel. The only reason you don't notice it is because at ordinary day-to-day human speeds, the effect is very tiny so your wrist watch can't detect it. But this has been confirmed using very accurate atomic clocks. Two atomic clocks are exactly synchronized, then one is left on the ground while the other flies in an airplane. When the plane lands, the two clocks are compared and the result is that the flying clock's time is a few nanoseconds ahead of the one that remained on the ground. This effect is called Time Dilation and it's a central theme in relativity theory. The faster the moving object goes, the more time dilation occurs.

Weird, eh? Well, it gets weirder.

Light (or radio waves which are just light at a frequency our eyes can't detect) takes about 10 minutes to get from here to Mars. If we sent an astronaut to Mars, we couldn't have an ordinary radio conversation with him. We'd have to say something into the microphone, then wait 10 minutes for him to get the message. When he replies, we'd have to wait another 10 minutes to hear the reply.

Now imagine you hop on a rocket that travels very close to c (physicists use the lower-case letter "c" to represent the speed of light). Understand that when I say "very close" I mean REALLY very close. Even though there's a tiny numerical difference between 99.999% c and 99.999999999999999999999999% c, there's a very big difference in the resulting time dilation. It's what math geeks call asymptotic. So I'm talking 99.(a million more nines)% c here. Extremely close to c but just a hair less. So imagine you hop on a rocket that travels that fast and head out to Mars. When you get there, it will have seemed (to you) like only one second passed. Your heart beat once and you're there. Your watch second hand ticked just once and you're there. But time will seem normal to you. You wouldn't notice anything different at all, just the passing of one second of time.

But back on Earth, everyone watching your trip saw it take a whole 10 minutes. Their heart beat many times and the minute hand on their watch ticked off 10 minutes.

If you had a telescope looking at people on earth, in the one second that passed for you during the trip, you saw people on Earth zipping around very quickly. If you pointed your telescope at Big Ben, the clock tower in London, you would have seen the minute hand zip across 10 minutes during your one heartbeat that it took to get to Mars.

Meanwhile, if someone back on Earth pointed a telescope at you in the rocket, he would have seen you nearly frozen still for the whole trip. He would have seen the second hand on your watch tick off one second during the 10 minutes your trip took from his point of view.

So you see that if you get to Mars and immediately turn around and return to Earth, when you got back, you would have experienced two heartbeats and your watch's second hand would have ticked twice. But if you compare with every else's watch, you would notice that your watch would be 20 minutes behind everyone else's.

Now weirder still. Imagine that instead of Mars, your trip was WAY out to the Andromeda Galaxy. Here's a pic I made in 1993:

Andromeda is 2.5 million light years away. It takes light (from our point of view) 2.5 million years to cover the distance there. Now imagine hopping on your rocket again and taking off for Andromeda. When you get there, it will seem like to you as if an hour passed. You wouldn't have to wait 2.5 million years because, again, due to your very high speed, time dilation makes your personal time pass differently than it does on Earth. But again, you wouldn't notice anything different. You'd walk around, maybe have some lunch, read a book, then an hour later (to you) you're at Andromeda.

But back on Earth, 2.5 million years passed. If someone on Earth pointed a telescope at you, they would have seen you almost frozen still because you will have done one-hour's worth of activity during 2.5 million years from Earth's point of view. If you pointed a telescope back at Earth, you would have seen a blur of activity. For every second that ticked off on your watch, 40,000 years will have passed back on Earth. Civilizations would have come and gone every time your watch ticked off one second. But other than the strange sight in your telescope, everything else would seem perfectly normal to you. One hour would pass and your trip is over.

Now here's the catch I mentioned. If you get to Andromeda then turn around and head back to Earth, you'd arrive in another hour from your point of view. A two-hour round trip (for you). But Earth will have experienced another 2.5 million years during your return trip. A total of 5 million years will have passed on Earth after your 2-hour round trip. All your friends and family will be long dead and you'd have a huge electric bill from that night-light you forgot to turn off when you left.

So in this sense it IS possible to time travel into the future. In two hours (to you) 5 million years (to Earth) passed and so you time traveled 5 million years into the future. And again, this is not hypothetical. This is a verified effect and so well-understood that it allows us to create the GPS system which wouldn't work without this understanding.

OK, now time travel into the past.

Although there is no known hard limit on time travel into the past, most physicists consider it unlikely to be possible. There are mathematical results that show backward time travel can hapen, but it's believed with high confidence that they're spurious. Here's a simple example of how these results can come about and why they're unlikely to have any physical relevance.

Recall from high school geometry class how to figure the surface area of a square. Say you have a square piece of plywood with a surface area of 9 square centimeters. What is the length of each side?

Well, if the square's surface area is 9 square cm, then each side must be square root of 9 centimeters long. The square root of 9 is 3 because 3 x 3 = 9.

The piece of wood is 3cm x 3cm. That gives you a total of 9 square cm of wood. The problem occurs in that 9 has two square roots, 3 and -3 because 3 * 3 = 9 and also -3 * -3 = 9.

But it is meaningless to say that the square in question has sides of length -3 cm even though the math tells you that such a square with negative length sides would indeed have a surface area of 9 cm. The math is interesting from an academic point of view, but it has no relevance to the physical world because pieces of wood can't have negative lengths.

This theme repeats in the concept of the Tachyon (faster than light particle) which is another mathematical curiosity that has nothing to do with reality. If tachyons existed, they would have a mass of something absurd like square root of -1 grams, which is meaningless (actually, it would be square root of -1 times some coefficient, but that's not important here).

I never say never, but it seems likely that time travel into the past is a similar curiosity but with no physical relevance. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

There's a related question that hasn't been settled regarding the quantization (granularity) of time. Is there a minimum interval of time that has physical meaning? There are some good theoretical reason that this might be true and some experimental evidence that suggests it.

This might be a little too technical for this thread, but the geeks in the audience will get it so I'll throw it out. Consider the energy of a photon. It is the product of a physical constant (Planck's constant) times the frequency of the light the photon represents. Because E = hc / lamda and c = lamda * v, therefore E = hv. But frequency (v) is the reciprocal of time, so they're in lock-step. Each frequency represents exactly one period (one time interval).

It is known that only discrete frequencies are possible for a photon. No in-between frequencies are allowed by the quantization of quantum mechanics. So if there is a one-to-one mapping from frequency to period (time interval), and only certain frequencies are possible, then only certain time intervals are possible. No in-between time intervals can occur in the wavelength of light. At least with respect to photon energy.

That's not anywhere near proof that time is quantized, but it one point of evidence (and there are others) that has some potentially deep implication. The time it takes for a photon to experience one wavelength is discontinuous. It can take a certain amount of time or a certain longer amount of time, but it can never take an in-between amount of time. Again, not proof, but food for thought.

I'll shut up now.
Mgrinder
Premium Member

Post by Mgrinder »

Shado wrote:If tachyons exits, is it possible that some of them are somehow slowed to the speed of light? Wouldn't this cause them to radiate some type of energy, and possibly quite a lot of it? Might this be the nature of "dark" energy, or possibly a source for "dark" matter? I sure don't know, but it is fun to speculate!! I do know, howver, it is possible to solve some actual inductive-capacitive circuits using "imaginary" numbers.
An interesting question, I don't know. There is no reason to think that tachyons, if they exist, would not have gravity too. Thus would not be a source for dark energy. However, I suppose it could be a source for dark matter, like neutrinos. Dark energy is usually hypothesized to be a field that permeates all space by physicists, and this field creates a repulsive "pressure" on the universe, but it is not a force. The tachyons would have to create such a field somehow.

The thing about tachyons is that you can use them to telephone yourself in the past. Creating time paradoxes, so they probably don't exist. At one point there appeared to be evidence that neutrinos were tachyons, so there was this joke: "The bartender says 'Hey, we don't serve neutrinos in here'. A few minutes later, a neutrino walks into the bar". He hee.

BTW, quantum mechanics uses imaginary numbers too, and wouldn't work without them. :)
Shado

Post by Shado »

I understand the concept of a false vacuum, as there is still energy there. How particles can pop into or out of existence is a mystery to me, since I assume they must come from somewhere and go somewhere. This would seem to indicate an exchange of energies between two fields, with the ability to transfer particles in the process. This would seem to involve some other reality or time construct than just our own, as we sort of know how they work here. If a massless, non-interactive quantity should pass our way, how would we know? I have no idea if membranes exist, but I can imagine refraction of quanta through certain densities of gravation, nonetheless. All of which amounts to pub talk...
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

What's a tachyon?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Shado wrote: June 16th, 2015, 7:58 pm If tachyons exits, is it possible that some of them are somehow slowed to the speed of light? Wouldn't this cause them to radiate some type of energy, and possibly quite a lot of it? Might this be the nature of "dark" energy, or possibly a source for "dark" matter? I sure don't know, but it is fun to speculate!! I do know, howver, it is possible to solve some actual inductive-capacitive circuits using "imaginary" numbers.
Think about what tachyons would look like in a Newtonian universe, where photons have infinite speed and cause and effect can't exists...
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Sy Borg wrote: June 16th, 2015, 8:22 pm How do you visualise them? Like neutrinos, just whizzing around with no obvious purpose or function, barely interacting with matter?

My favourite dark energy hypothesis is that it's caused by clumps of antimatter exerting repulsive gravity (antigravity) from the relative voids of intergalactic space. [url=http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/02/120215-dark-energy-antimatter-physics-alternate-space-science/]news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/0 ... e-science/[/url]

It makes me wonder if intergalactic travel is physically even possible - I can't imagine good things happening to a space craft made of matter passing through a vast antimatter field. Or maybe it would have the potential to act as wormholes?

Yep, it's fun to speculate :)
It's a pitty the link dont work no more. Antimatter causing repulsive gravity? Ain't the energy of antimatter positive?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream