Where did the 'Big Bang' occur?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Blake 789

Re: Where did the 'Big Bang' occur?

Post by Blake 789 »

Locations require physical space to be located within and space along with time only came into existence with the universe itself so you may as well ask what lays south of the south pole.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

"The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe."

You need to think of this theory of Hubble's more like a flour dust explosion in a grain silo. It supposedly according to the theory of it happened all at once everywhere.
This sounds a bit like what I call the "Inflation Model", which I endorse.

The "Inflation Model" is called such, because it is compared to a balloon being blown up. In this Model, we begin with zero matter/mass/space, each of which grows over time concurrently. In the Big Bang Model, one begins with zero matter/space, but energy/mass is said to be roughly equivalent to what it is today. This leaves us with the odd, perverse, and dare I say highly unlikely, view of the primordial Universe as Everything existing being compacted into a single geometric point.

In the Inflation Model, we need to visualize no such odd primordial configuration. We begin with Nothing, or virtually Nothing, from which Something grows.

Now, there will always be those, particularly in contemporary society, who will argue that the latter view (Inflation) seems much more nonsensical and "odd" compared to the former view (Big Bang). For is it not more sensical to just imagine Everything compacted into a point, rather than imagining "Something" coming from "Nothing"?

My answer to this would be to say that it is, unless One can grasp the idea that "Something" (Anything) can only exist if a corresponding "Mind" or "Awareness" is present alongside it. A solitary primordial Mind, with no peers to oppose or contradict it, could indeed, and quite easily, create Something/Anything from apparent "Nothingness", which could only be cognized 13.7 billion years later by the modern scientist, trapped by his insistence on fixed mass/matter (conservation of mass), as some kind of "Big Bang".....
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Atreyu wrote:
"The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe."

You need to think of this theory of Hubble's more like a flour dust explosion in a grain silo. It supposedly according to the theory of it happened all at once everywhere.
This sounds a bit like what I call the "Inflation Model", which I endorse.

The "Inflation Model" is called such, because it is compared to a balloon being blown up. In this Model, we begin with zero matter/mass/space, each of which grows over time concurrently. In the Big Bang Model, one begins with zero matter/space, but energy/mass is said to be roughly equivalent to what it is today. This leaves us with the odd, perverse, and dare I say highly unlikely, view of the primordial Universe as Everything existing being compacted into a single geometric point.

In the Inflation Model, we need to visualize no such odd primordial configuration. We begin with Nothing, or virtually Nothing, from which Something grows.

Now, there will always be those, particularly in contemporary society, who will argue that the latter view (Inflation) seems much more nonsensical and "odd" compared to the former view (Big Bang). For is it not more sensical to just imagine Everything compacted into a point, rather than imagining "Something" coming from "Nothing"?

My answer to this would be to say that it is, unless One can grasp the idea that "Something" (Anything) can only exist if a corresponding "Mind" or "Awareness" is present alongside it. A solitary primordial Mind, with no peers to oppose or contradict it, could indeed, and quite easily, create Something/Anything from apparent "Nothingness", which could only be cognized 13.7 billion years later by the modern scientist, trapped by his insistence on fixed mass/matter (conservation of mass), as some kind of "Big Bang".....
Very nice analysis and summary.

I am reminded that Big Bang is just a convenient hypothesis about explaining why the Universe's expanding galaxies show a red shift.

Whereas some people make science their religion, and others make religion their science, it is unwise to make a hypothesis into a God.

As for me, Philosophy will remain my telescope and scalpel.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Yes, so they say, everywhere at once - Why does that sound lke NOWHERE?

Because to say something occurred everywhere at once is meaningless - No such place.

Of course if you want to say it is meaningless question to ask "Where did the 'Big Bang' occur?" I might agree with you
IF the big band is really the beginning of all, if there aren't other big bangs, other universes, other dimensions of time and space.

If one day in the future we discover that there are indeed other universes - Than the question might actually become
meaningful, and then, and only then we could ask the question "Where did the 'Big Bang' occur?"

"SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Way of the FUTURE"
http://universalspacealienpeoplesassoci ... gspot.com/
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

YIOSTHEOY:
I am reminded that Big Bang is just a convenient hypothesis about explaining why the Universe's expanding galaxies show a red shift.
Yes. In the same sense that the presence of a computer keyboard beneath my fingers is just a convenient hypothesis for explaining various sensations I feel with my fingers and eyes. Alternative hypotheses to explain these red shift do exist but, as far as I'm aware, the Big Bang concept is the one that best fits the evidence so far.
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Steve3007 wrote:YIOSTHEOY:
Yes. In the same sense that the presence of a computer keyboard beneath my fingers is just a convenient hypothesis for explaining various sensations I feel with my fingers and eyes. Alternative hypotheses to explain these red shift do exist but, as far as I'm aware, the Big Bang concept is the one that best fits the evidence so far.
If it fits the observed data then it is a good theory indeed.

We must remember that in science we are always inferring from observed Empirical data.

Sometimes in some cases we can however design and experiment and measure the results and then deduce that the next experiment will result in the same observations. But that only works in the simplest of cases.

Most cases are way too complex to experiment with, so we are left with our crude inferred theories.

We must remember also that these theories of ours are only models.

The model is not the reality.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Blake 789 wrote:Locations require physical space to be located within and space along with time only came into existence with the universe itself so you may as well ask what lays south of the south pole.
Not physical space, just space.

Physical space is occupied space specific to observed time/frequency ^v^ or as \/\/\/

Universe occupies space aka Uni-Verse

Outside/beyond our finite, occupied space Universe is the macro-infinite non-occupied space.

Inflation has space-time-- gravity is property of space-time---expanding at speeds far beyond that of EM-Radiation.

Ergo gravitational property of space-time, gravity, must also expand at speeds far beyond that of EM-Radiation.

Space-time appears to be gravity, however, with the discovery of dark energy, we may need to have a 2nd property of space-time ergo we may now have to consider Space - Time - Space.

Space a gravity, positive shaped, outer surface, geodesic arcs of occupied space ( )

Time as observed time is the inversion trajectories >^v< of occupied space, from the surface arcs of gravity and dark energy surface

Space as dark energy is the negative shaped, inner surface, geodesic arcs of occupied space )(.

Space -Time - Space exists in every particle of our finite, occupied space Universe. These are Space-Time-Vectors and are shaped like a torus. A bisection of the torus as follows shows gravity surface arcs ( ), observed time inversions >^v< and dark energy surface arcs )(

(>^v<)(>^v<)

Observed time/frequency/physical/energy/reality is often expressed via a sine-wave pattern ^v^v or as \/\/\/\/

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

YIOSTHEOY:
If it fits the observed data then it is a good theory indeed.
Yes, if it consistently fits the data.
We must remember that in science we are always inferring from observed Empirical data.
As we are in everyday life. The model we have in our heads of an external world that continues to exist when we are not observing it is inferred.
Sometimes in some cases we can however design and experiment and measure the results and then deduce that the next experiment will result in the same observations. But that only works in the simplest of cases.
We hypothesize as to what the results of the next experiment will be. The idea that Nature follows patterns and that the next experiment's results will follow a pattern established by previous experiments is fundamental not just to science but to every aspect of how we make sense of the world. It is called Induction.

How do you define a "simple case"?
Most cases are way too complex to experiment with, so we are left with our crude inferred theories.
Remember, when we say "experiment" we don't just mean things that happen in a lab. We mean, in the most general sense, all empirical observations.
We must remember also that these theories of ours are only models. The model is not the reality.
Everything we think about the world is "only" a model. Is there anything at all we can say about this "reality" thing other than what we infer, as models, from our observations and experiments?
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

My apologies if this has already been covered. If the big bang did occur before anything else existed, then wouldn't it had to have occurred outside of, or before space and time existed? Since the big bang is responsible for space and time, prior to its occurrence, there was no space or time. If so, where is "outside" of space and time – couldn't that be described as another dimension to the universe we reside in where space and time exist, because of the big bang?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Fanman wrote:My apologies if this has already been covered. If the big bang did occur before anything else existed, then wouldn't it had to have occurred outside of, or before space and time existed? Since the big bang is responsible for space and time, prior to its occurrence, there was no space or time. If so, where is "outside" of space and time – couldn't that be described as another dimension to the universe we reside in where space and time exist, because of the big bang?
That might be pure speculation But:

Scientist May Have Found Proof Of
A cosmologist from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) believes he may just have found proof that an alternate and parallel universe does indeed exist.

In a study featured in the Astrophysical Journal, researcher Ranga-Ram Chary described evidence of a cosmic bruising, or the bumping of one universe against another, which could be used to identify an anomaly he discovered on the cosmic microwave background map.........
See whole aritcle here:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10334 ... iverse.htm

The existence of an Alternate, Parallel Universe might drastically alter Man's perception of this one.

What if space and time are somewhat different in the other universe{s} - Is that possible? - Or would you assume space
nd time must be consistent throughout all of existence :?:

"SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Way of the FUTURE"
http://universalspacealienpeoplesassoci ... gspot.com/
Blake 789

Post by Blake 789 »

What if space and time are somewhat different in the other universe{s} - Is that possible? - Or would you assume space
nd time must be consistent throughout all of existence :?:
Space and time isn't even consistence in our own universe time is relative to your location and rate of motion. If you left Earth at near light speed and returned 10 years later everyone you knew would be long dead the same kind of thing would happen if you lived on a planet orbiting somewhere in the vicinity of a black hole time would pass far more slowly for you than it would for people elsewhere.
Felix

Post by Felix »

In a study featured in the Astrophysical Journal, researcher Ranga-Ram Chary described evidence of a cosmic bruising
I warned that Universe not to drift over to that dingy section of the Cosmos, it could get mugged there, but it wouldn't listen! It got what it deserves for such rash behaviour!

But seriously, the solution is simple when you have the necessary environment: in this case you need a hyper-dimensional subzero womb in which your precious 3-D egg may hatch.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
BardoXV
New Trial Member

Post by BardoXV »

This is similar to the question of "where is the center of the Universe (expansion)?", and the usual answer is "everywhere is the center." So likewise the Big Bang occurred "everywhere" that now exists. Also the concept that something can not come from nothing, is not a valid concept, that is a concept that is good within human logic, but there is no requirement that the universe obey human logic or exist according to human expectations.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

BardoXV wrote:This is similar to the question of "where is the center of the Universe (expansion)?", and the usual answer is "everywhere is the center." So likewise the Big Bang occurred "everywhere" that now exists. Also the concept that something can not come from nothing, is not a valid concept, that is a concept that is good within human logic, but there is no requirement that the universe obey human logic or exist according to human expectations.
"everywhere" within scenario of infinite Universe is illogical, irrational etc...

"Everywhere" within a finite Universe doesnet make sense either, but for different reason. In a finite Unierse, there does exist center, however, if Universe is not perfect sphere or any static abstract-lie geometry i.e. if Universe is in dynamic change of shape, irrespective of how little change, then the center is every changing due to changing shape of Universe.

A where infers/implies a location. There can be no where or location, if infinity is the reference system.

Consider, our human body as shape of Universe. If our belly grows larger, over time then the center changes to account for changes in perimeter of body.
If Universe is spherical, not a perfect sphere, then the changing surface lumps we mean center center changes in relation those perimeter changes.

I think our finite Universe is lumpy.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
BardoXV
New Trial Member

Post by BardoXV »

Rr6 wrote:
I think our finite Universe is lumpy.

r6

you may believe as you like but there is no evidence to prove either idea, but it is more reasonable to assume that the expansion is uniform in all directions, thus the universe is more spherical than not.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream