The January Philosophy Book of the Month 2019 is The Runaway Species. Discuss The Runaway Species now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.) Discuss The Fourth Age now.

Where did the 'Big Bang' occur?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Re: Where did the 'Big Bang' occur?

Post by Rr6 » August 11th, 2016, 10:30 am

BardoXV wrote:you may believe as you like but there is no evidence to prove either idea, but it is more reasonable to assume that the expansion is uniform in all directions, thus the universe is more spherical than not.
I do indeed believe as I like, as all humans do.

Spherical is not a perfect sphere. I previously stated that Universe is not a perfect sphere. A perfect sphere only exists as a metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept.

A undulating lumpy Universe can have sphericity. Here is link to Greg Egan graphic of undulating surface, that conveys this lumpy idea I've espoused for many years now.

http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.a ... CHILD.html

There is no evidence for, or against any specific shape of our finite, occupied space Universe, that I'm aware of.

Since I believe, that, our finite, occupied space Universe, is composed of dynamically operational tori at ultra-micro scales of Space ( ) - Time ^v - Space )( existence, it follows, that, there will exist some degree of undulating lumpiness at many differrent frequencies.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

Frewah

Post by Frewah » November 2nd, 2018, 7:32 pm

There was no ’place’ where the Big Bang occured. The Big Bang created time and space. I think the mistake people make is to think of the Big Band as some kind of explosion *in* space which isn’t what the theory says. It is a difficult idea to grasp, we like to think there was some kind of enclosure. I think it may help to do a thought experiment where you reverse time. Anything and everything would end up in an infinitesimal singularity. So, you can’t point in any particular direction and say that the Big Bang happened in that direction. All of your atoms, or their constituent parts, were once in that singularity.

UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien » November 24th, 2018, 5:40 am

Frewah wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 7:32 pm
There was no ’place’ where the Big Bang occured. The Big Bang created time and space. I think the mistake people make is to think of the Big Band as some kind of explosion *in* space which isn’t what the theory says. It is a difficult idea to grasp, we like to think there was some kind of enclosure. I think it may help to do a thought experiment where you reverse time. Anything and everything would end up in an infinitesimal singularity. So, you can’t point in any particular direction and say that the Big Bang happened in that direction. All of your atoms, or their constituent parts, were once in that singularity.
This might be true IF there is only one universe - But many physicists now believe in the multiverse
- Many universes.

IF this is true - Then indeed it might be possible to find a place where this universe, the one you are living in,
occured originally - The so called singularity that occured here may have occurred at a different time
and place from the place where the other universes began.

Of course even if this hypothesis is true it would still be difficult to find the place {or time} where this
universe happened in relation to the others as you would have step outside of all existence
- For now I can not imagine how you would step outside of existence - Still if a multiverse exists
a relative place may be determinable.