On the psychological need for unification in physics

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: On the psychological need for unification in physics

Post by Steve3007 »

I think you give a reasonable summary of some aspects of how empirical science works, except for the assertion that it is argumentum ad populum. That implies that it is primarily about canvassing opinions to establish a majority. The foibles of human nature ensure that it might sometimes end up like that, but that is not a correct use of the method. The method is about demonstrating repeatability of experimental results. Science is not democracy. It's not about being in a majority. It's about being able to demonstrate repeatable results. If you can do that, it doesn't matter whether you're in a minority of one. In theory.

Anyway, your description of the way in which the laws/models/hypotheses (whatever you're comfortable calling them) of science are arrived at suggest that, in your view, they are descriptions, not explanations. "Summaries of data" as you put it. So when you say "we are not even close to explaining everything yet" I presume you would add to this that we have never explained anything and never will?

---

Regarding the now-familiar anti-Hawking squawking in many of your posts:

Is it actually based on anything specific in what he has said, or is it just because for reasons not particularly related to physics he is probably the most prominent physicist in the public eye? Or is it just a little running joke?
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Steve3007 wrote:I think you give a reasonable summary of some aspects of how empirical science works, except for the assertion that it is argumentum ad populum. That implies that it is primarily about canvassing opinions to establish a majority. The foibles of human nature ensure that it might sometimes end up like that, but that is not a correct use of the method. The method is about demonstrating repeatability of experimental results. Science is not democracy. It's not about being in a majority. It's about being able to demonstrate repeatable results. If you can do that, it doesn't matter whether you're in a minority of one. In theory.

Anyway, your description of the way in which the laws/models/hypotheses (whatever you're comfortable calling them) of science are arrived at suggest that, in your view, they are descriptions, not explanations. "Summaries of data" as you put it. So when you say "we are not even close to explaining everything yet" I presume you would add to this that we have never explained anything and never will?

---

Regarding the now-familiar anti-Hawking squawking in many of your posts:

Is it actually based on anything specific in what he has said, or is it just because for reasons not particularly related to physics he is probably the most prominent physicist in the public eye? Or is it just a little running joke?
The community of scientists is clearly argumentum populum.

Never forget that.

There is no group of men (and women) no matter how bright and well educated that can ever be equal to the God(s).

-- Updated June 1st, 2016, 2:44 am to add the following --

Regarding Hawking, he is the most prima donna complete idiot that I have ever seen in science over the past half century.

It's no joke. Until he is gone and his gibberish forgotten there will be no progress in physics or astrophysics.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

As I said, humans are fallible. They are subject to such things as egotism and group-think. So I'm sure that, in practice, argumentum ad populum does happen in communities of scientists, as in other communities. But the whole point of science is to find a way to avoid argument from blind adherence to authority, whether it's the authority of a king or a majority.

If what you say is true of a community then they are, by definition, not a community of scientists, even if they claim to be one.

-- Updated Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:49 am to add the following --
Regarding Hawking, he is the most prima donna complete idiot that I have ever seen in science over the past half century.

It's no joke. Until he is gone and his gibberish forgotten there will be no progress in physics or astrophysics.
But you're still not willing to say what it is that he has actually said that winds you up so?

-- Updated Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 am to add the following --

You appear to have the curious impression that all physicists hang on the words of Stephen Hawking. I don't know why that is, but I can only presume that it's related to his global high profile in the general public eye. As far as physics is concerned, he's just another theoretical physicist among many. Don't fret.
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Steve3007 wrote:
As I said, humans are fallible. They are subject to such things as egotism and group-think. So I'm sure that, in practice, argumentum ad populum does happen in communities of scientists, as in other communities. But the whole point of science is to find a way to avoid argument from blind adherence to authority, whether it's the authority of a king or a majority.

If what you say is true of a community then they are, by definition, not a community of scientists, even if they claim to be one.

But you're still not willing to say what it is that he has actually said that winds you up so?

You appear to have the curious impression that all physicists hang on the words of Stephen Hawking. I don't know why that is, but I can only presume that it's related to his global high profile in the general public eye. As far as physics is concerned, he's just another theoretical physicist among many. Don't fret.
I will fret less when Hawking is dead and gone and someone else takes his place on the tv star shows that is more intelligible and who knows that the scientific model is not reality.
Aristocles
Premium Member

Post by Aristocles »

YIOSTHEOY wrote:
Steve3007 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

(Nested quote removed.)

I will fret less when Hawking is dead and gone and someone else takes his place on the tv star shows that is more intelligible and who knows that the scientific model is not reality.
Is this a pitch for Trump unifying physics for our psychological needs?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OK. You're still, to some extent, making me guess as to why you dislike this guy. You haven't mentioned anything specific, like Hawking radiation or something. I guess, from the above, that it is:

1. He is sometimes on TV.

2. In your opinion, he thinks that models are reality.

Ignoring point 1 for now (for hopefully obvious reasons). Could you explain in more detail your evidence for thinking that this particular theoretical physicist, more than any other, has "mistaken the map for the territory" as a previous poster on this site liked to put it.

-- Updated Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:36 am to add the following --

While we're on the subject, you could just dive in at the deep end and explain what this "reality" thing is and the way in which you think it differs from the models we carry around in our heads based on our experiences?
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Steve3007 wrote:
OK. You're still, to some extent, making me guess as to why you dislike this guy. You haven't mentioned anything specific, like Hawking radiation or something. I guess, from the above, that it is:

1. He is sometimes on TV.

2. In your opinion, he thinks that models are reality.

Ignoring point 1 for now (for hopefully obvious reasons). Could you explain in more detail your evidence for thinking that this particular theoretical physicist, more than any other, has "mistaken the map for the territory" as a previous poster on this site liked to put it.

-- Updated Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:36 am to add the following --

While we're on the subject, you could just dive in at the deep end and explain what this "reality" thing is and the way in which you think it differs from the models we carry around in our heads based on our experiences?
Don't make me belabor the point. Move on.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OK. It's probably a subject for another thread. It's certainly been discussed extensively on here before. (The subject of the difference between our mental models, based on our experiences, and the thing we like to call "reality").

-- Updated Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:59 am to add the following --

The subject of whether Stephen Hawking is on TV too much has not, to my knowledge, been discussed. Best left that way I guess.
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Steve3007 wrote:OK. It's probably a subject for another thread. It's certainly been discussed extensively on here before. (The subject of the difference between our mental models, based on our experiences, and the thing we like to call "reality").

-- Updated Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:59 am to add the following --

The subject of whether Stephen Hawking is on TV too much has not, to my knowledge, been discussed. Best left that way I guess.
You can start a Stephen Hawking thread and then we can all complain about him there.

My primary observation of him is that he is like Aristotle and the crystal spheres nonsense.

Philosophy was stifled for centuries after Aristotle because nobody questioned his nonsense.

Hawking has the same issue.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Well, at the risk of continuing to labour the point, I have to disagree. He's just another average, run-of-the-mill theoretical physicist whose most famous invention/discovery (delete according to preference) is Hawking radiation. It's only his high public profile, due to his illness having captured to public imagination, that makes it seem otherwise from the outside, I suspect.
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Steve3007 wrote:
Well, at the risk of continuing to labour the point, I have to disagree. He's just another average, run-of-the-mill theoretical physicist whose most famous invention/discovery (delete according to preference) is Hawking radiation. It's only his high public profile, due to his illness having captured to public imagination, that makes it seem otherwise from the outside, I suspect.
I don't have a problem with his grotesque disfigurement. I actually feel sorry for him.

I just wish he would try to be more coherent when he speaks.

I think coherence for him would come if he remembered that his own complex models are just models.

He seems to me to have built castles in the air and then moved into them himself.

He does not seem in touch with reality or with sanity. But that's another thread.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes, as I said, another thread about the relationship between models and reality - the map and the territory.

Actually, the idea of a 2nd new thread about physicists with annoyingly high public profiles might have legs. In the UK it's currently Brian Cox who claims that crown much more effectively than Hawking ever did. Brian Cox, a mop-haired telegenic Mancunian with a suitably cool history as a musician is the current carrier of the physics-can-be-cool torch in the media.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Steve3007 wrote:Yes, as I said, another thread about the relationship between models and reality - the map and the territory.

Actually, the idea of a 2nd new thread about physicists with annoyingly high public profiles might have legs. In the UK it's currently Brian Cox who claims that crown much more effectively than Hawking ever did. Brian Cox, a mop-haired telegenic Mancunian with a suitably cool history as a musician is the current carrier of the physics-can-be-cool torch in the media.
At least he's a practicing scientist, the next name along has to be Dara Ó Briain, although frankly I think science needs every bit of help it can get so even Mayim Bialik helps.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Well, Dara Ó Briain isn't a practicing physicists, that's true, but I think he does have a physics degree or something doesn't he? (By the way, well done for going to the trouble of adding the diacritic mark above the O. I just copied and pasted it from you.)
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

In the 70s the usual complaint was that scientists were not sharing their ideas, being too socially uninterested to communicate their findings without falling into impenetrable jargon. Today that problem is somewhat solved by scientists with communication skills, acting as a bridge between the hard science and public awareness. It's also possible that scientists are becoming more socially adroit through the increasingly managerial role they must take in large operations, with teams of technical officers performing tasks in large hubs - a far cry from the ole world of a scientist with his or her few research assistants working in a small lab full of small glass containers and books.

So an increasing number have the social skills to bring science to the people. Neil deGrasse Tyson is a personal favourite for his balanced views. He is an excellent advocate for the scientific method IMO.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream