Life "must" exist elsewhere but why?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Re: Life "must" exist elsewhere but why?

Post by Atreyu »

Steve3007 wrote:Atreyu:
Now, of course, one could argue that science, when using the term 'life', merely means 'life as we know and define it' (carbon-based' life), but again, that was why I said it's a shame. Rather than considering 'life' outside of their narrow definition, and considering what it could or might be, they assume that the life that we know is the only life worth discussing, thinking about, or searching for....
The entire post up until this point seemed to be demonstrating that there is no point in searching for anything other than "life as we know it" - for the higher forms of life that you demonstrated with your mathematically illiterate horse analogy. There's no point in searching for something that we have no ability to find, is there?
It can only not be discovered in our current state of awareness. The idea is that they might be found in an augmented state of awareness. If the horse becomes "enlightened" and its psyche rises to the level of our own, it will then be able to understand the human condition, and will immediately realize that a man is the more intelligent species.

In a higher state of consciousness a man might be able to directly perceive the Earth as a living organism, i.e. in a higher state of consciousness he might be able to "see" it.

And my point was basically that it's too bad that science isn't concerned with learning about the possibilities of attaining such a state of consciousness, particularly considering that such a knowledge is definitely out there...
Steve3007 wrote: Atreyu:
However, if you define life in a more broad and encompassing way - life as we might not know or recognize it - then I would argue that it is everywhere.

I can't argue with that. Trouble is it just shifts the problem onto the question of how broadly you are defining the word "life". If you define it in the broadest possible way then, by definition life is everywhere, because "Life" is another word for "The Universe". You don't need to argue for it. It's true by definition.
True, but I would never argue for such a ludicrously broad definition. In my definition, "life" implies a certain awareness, perhaps any awareness. If the Universe is not aware of anything I would certainly not argue that it is "alive"....
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

In my definition, "life" implies a certain awareness, perhaps any awareness.
That seems to me not too bad a definition of intelligent or perhaps conscious life. But I'm not sure I would accept it as a definition of life in general. I think it could be argued quite convincingly that a plant or a bacterium is clearly alive but doesn't possess awareness in any meaningful sense. But I don't think there is any hard dividing line between living things that are aware and living things that are not aware - things that can be regarded as complex biological analogues of machines.

Also, this definition of life, like pretty much all definitions (in my opinion), is only really meaningful if it goes hand-in-hand with the way in which it is observed or measured. The definition of awareness is inextricably linked to the method that we propose to use to decide if any given thing is aware. What criteria do we use to determine if awareness is present? We have a pretty good idea when we are dealing with familiar things like human beings. But it's more problematic when looking for life elsewhere in the universe. And we've been caught out before - seeing patterns and regularities thought must be evidence of intelligent life but which have turned out to be things that most people (but perhaps not all?) would not regard as any kind of life, like pulsars.
Frewah

Post by Frewah »

I think life is pretty common, life exists where there’s liquid water. Oxygen and hydrogen is common in the universe, water is therefore common as well. I think there may exist life in Europa, a moon of Jupiter.

Intelligence depends on where you draw the line. Are cats intelligent? What about elephants or dolphins? A much more interesting question is if the alien life is technological. Neither elephants nor dolphins have hands which makes it impossible for them to make tools. Aliens on Europa live in a water world. Heat is generated in the core as a result of the elliiptic orbit. The surface temperature is very low and the radiation is high. Even if these creatures have ”hands”, they will never be able to make fire, they are stuck. I don’t think it’s possible for sea dwelllers to develop any kind of technology.
Chasw
Favorite Philosopher: GWF Hegel

Post by Chasw »

I concur with the proposition that life is probably ubiquitous throughout the universe. However, intelligent life must be quite rare, since it requires a long period of suitable conditions for evolution to work its magic. Furthermore, intelligent life by its very nature is self-limiting in that these organisms, including humans, inevitably face extinction by adapting to artificial environments and cutting themselves off from nature. Thus intelligent lifeforms likely emit signals through space for a relatively short while, then disappear. Also the vast expanse of the universe means that by the time such a signal from another galaxy reached out planet, the species that sent it would be long gone. Chancing upon contemporary intelligent life in our galactic neighborhood (say less than 100 lightyears distant), must be quite small compared to the universe at large. - CW
The central question of human existence is not why we are here, but rather why we behave the way we do - http://onhumanaffairs.blogspot.com/

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream