The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
growthhormone
Posts: 45
Joined: December 19th, 2017, 1:25 am

What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by growthhormone » January 30th, 2018, 12:08 am

What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy? It is a philosophical question. Can anyone see it? :D

User avatar
Frost
Posts: 510
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Frost » January 30th, 2018, 1:41 am

The universe and life as self organizing systems tend toward the state of least action, an this is fundamental to The existence of being. The structural manifestation of this energy conservation directs us toward the state of least action of being, the highest spiritual state. In other words, the structural manifestation of conservation of energy is suggestive of the transcendental.

Or something like that. Just a wild guess.

Steve3007
Posts: 5828
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes
Location: UK

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Steve3007 » January 30th, 2018, 4:14 am

Or perhaps because beauty is associated with symmetry and symmetry is associated with minimal energy states. Symmetry is associated with simplicity - being able to describe a relatively large physical system with a relatively small description. Perhaps simplicity is beautiful because it implies order and the brains that recognize beauty are themselves expressions of order. Perhaps we find things beautiful if we recognize them as essential to our own existence.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3495
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by LuckyR » January 31st, 2018, 5:09 pm

growthhormone wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 12:08 am
What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy? It is a philosophical question. Can anyone see it? :D
See what? The question, or the answer?
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
Albert Tatlock
Posts: 183
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Albert Tatlock » January 31st, 2018, 5:53 pm

growthhormone wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 12:08 am
What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy? It is a philosophical question. Can anyone see it? :D
Sleep is the link. Sleep conserves energy and sleep can be beautiful. Although I have a feeling that your answer will be even more ridiculous than mine.

growthhormone
Posts: 45
Joined: December 19th, 2017, 1:25 am

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by growthhormone » January 31st, 2018, 9:52 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 4:14 am
Or perhaps because beauty is associated with symmetry and symmetry is associated with minimal energy states. Symmetry is associated with simplicity - being able to describe a relatively large physical system with a relatively small description. Perhaps simplicity is beautiful because it implies order and the brains that recognize beauty are themselves expressions of order. Perhaps we find things beautiful if we recognize them as essential to our own existence.
"beauty is associated with symmetry and symmetry"

Beauty has nothing to do with symmetry or asymmetry.

Steve3007
Posts: 5828
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes
Location: UK

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Steve3007 » February 1st, 2018, 7:21 am

Beauty has nothing to do with symmetry or asymmetry.
I disagree.

User avatar
Frost
Posts: 510
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Frost » February 1st, 2018, 10:55 am

growthhormone wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 9:52 pm
"beauty is associated with symmetry and symmetry"

Beauty has nothing to do with symmetry or asymmetry.
Even physicists see beauty in the symmetry of the equations of physics.

User avatar
Albert Tatlock
Posts: 183
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Albert Tatlock » February 1st, 2018, 2:04 pm

Many people say they think the sunset is beautiful. In what way could a sunset be said to be symmetrical?

User avatar
Frost
Posts: 510
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Frost » February 1st, 2018, 2:18 pm

Albert Tatlock wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 2:04 pm
Many people say they think the sunset is beautiful. In what way could a sunset be said to be symmetrical?
It's not, but that is irrelevant. The claim was "Beauty has nothing to do with symmetry," not that beauty requires symmetry.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3495
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by LuckyR » February 1st, 2018, 2:35 pm

Albert Tatlock wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 2:04 pm
Many people say they think the sunset is beautiful. In what way could a sunset be said to be symmetrical?
There's no there there. Beauty has more to do with the firing of neurons in various parts of the brain when certain patterns are detected, than physics and simplistic equations.
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
Albert Tatlock
Posts: 183
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Albert Tatlock » February 1st, 2018, 2:48 pm

Frost wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 2:18 pm
Albert Tatlock wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 2:04 pm
In what way could a sunset be said to be symmetrical?
It's not,
No, I thought not.

growthhormone
Posts: 45
Joined: December 19th, 2017, 1:25 am

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by growthhormone » February 1st, 2018, 9:23 pm

Frost wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:55 am
growthhormone wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 9:52 pm
"beauty is associated with symmetry and symmetry"

Beauty has nothing to do with symmetry or asymmetry.
Even physicists see beauty in the symmetry of the equations of physics.
The most reliable thing to support a theory/concept is fact not any human being including physicists. There are too many facts that discredit the notion of symmetry being the foundation of beauty

User avatar
Frost
Posts: 510
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by Frost » February 1st, 2018, 9:28 pm

growthhormone wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 9:23 pm
Frost wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 10:55 am


Even physicists see beauty in the symmetry of the equations of physics.
The most reliable thing to support a theory/concept is fact not any human being including physicists. There are too many facts that discredit the notion of symmetry being the foundation of beauty
Such as?

Saying it is not the foundation is not the same as saying it has nothing to do with beauty.

User avatar
A_Seagull
Posts: 949
Joined: November 29th, 2012, 10:56 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Re: What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy?

Post by A_Seagull » February 2nd, 2018, 4:17 pm

growthhormone wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 12:08 am
What is the link between beauty and the law of conservation of energy? It is a philosophical question. Can anyone see it? :D
That's easy!

The law of conservation of energy is a beautiful theory!
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!

Post Reply