Is There Another Force Besides Natural Selection?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
tommarcus

Is There Another Force Besides Natural Selection?

Post by tommarcus »

Is there another force besides natural selection which drives the development of life?

I look at animals and watch how they act based on instinct. And that instinct can usually be traced to some biological composition which would cause them to act a certain way. Hunger and eating would be a simple example.

But then I see an action for which no biological or learning appears present. A hunting dog leading a walk for which he never was taught to do. DNA transmits physical makeup but does it convey a program also? How could it?
LuckyR

Re: Is There Another Force Besides Natural Selection?

Post by LuckyR »

A couple of things. Natural selection is not a force, it is a human description of the fact that disadvantaged individuals don't breed as effectively as advantaged individuals. Instincts are in fact what appears to be "knowledge" without learning. Or biologic learning.
"As usual... it depends."
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

tommarcus wrote: August 25th, 2018, 12:19 pm Is there another force besides natural selection which drives the development of life?
Natural Selection is not a force or cause. It is an effect. It's an effect of variation.

When you understand that you will see how no other explanation is necessary.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

tommarcus wrote: August 25th, 2018, 12:19 pm A hunting dog leading a walk for which he never was taught to do.
Hunting dogs that do not have a tendency to do this tend to be less successful than those that do.
Animals that do not feel hunger tend to die of starvation, and fail to pass on that characteristic.

Over millions of generations traits necessary for survival tend to stick, whilst negative traits tend to diminish.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Tommarcus -

We don’t know. Also I could’ve said what LuckyR said, but I’m willing to look past misuse of scientific jargon and see the gist of what you’re asking.

The benefit to look at the world objetcively allows us a broader reach for subjective suggestions. What that means over all I’ve no idea and it may be relatively pointless to mere individual humans. We have a sense of things and we act in/with/about the world as we do regardless of how we choose to frame it causally in fluid narratives or fractured pieces of some assumed whole.

One thign for sure is the theory of evolution is far from complete just as our understanding of physics is far from complete. Neither are “wrong” though, merely unrefined and workable facts of how we view this causal existence called “life.” Ideas develop and change, but they don’t do so without building upon previous foundations that have already helped explain a great deal.

At certain scales of physical reality (meaning space-time) we’re able to present incredibly accurate predictions based on rules produced to explain natural phenomenon. Some proposed “unnatural phenomenon” is to me no phenomenon at all because if it lies beyond experience (as in in no way relates to human experience no matter how far removed) then what is it we’re talking about when we emptily “propose” such a ... well, ( ) zilch!
AKA badgerjelly
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

In contrast to others, I think it is very apt to describe natural selection as a force, albeit with the understanding that a more detailed explanation may not contain any mention of “force”. This is analogous to the “force” of gravity. In both cases referring to “force” simply indicates the observation of a tendency for things to develop in a certain way.

So to answer the OP, there are in fact other forces which drive life. For example, the forces that cause hydrophobic molecules to clump together to avoid water is how we get the lipid bilayers that form cells and how we get chains of amino acids to to take the correct form of proteins.

Now the instinctual behaviors you mention are almost certainly explainable via natural selection, i.e., determined by evolution. Note: more and more it seems there are epigenetic (so, non-DNA) mechanisms involved in particular circumstances, but I think all that still falls under “natural selection”.

The next level at which a “force” becomes involved is at the creation of abstract goals. Such goals generate behavior that tends in a certain direction. As life shifts to artificial life, it will be the forces of such goals which will begin to dominate the direction of life.

Felix

Post by Felix »

I would say that Will is the other force involved in evolution. Being a subjective impulse, it is not amenable to reductive analysis, but in fact natural selection depends on it. For example, ecological isolation is necessary to produce selective variation within species but forced geographic segregation alone cannot account for it. That is, force of will can drive organisms to seek out and adapt to new habitats, and in so doing they develop different traits and characteristics.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

tommarcus wrote: August 25th, 2018, 12:19 pm Is there another force besides natural selection which drives the development of life?

I look at animals and watch how they act based on instinct. And that instinct can usually be traced to some biological composition which would cause them to act a certain way. Hunger and eating would be a simple example.

But then I see an action for which no biological or learning appears present. A hunting dog leading a walk for which he never was taught to do. DNA transmits physical makeup but does it convey a program also? How could it?
I guess it depends on what you mean exactly by "drives the development of life" because then you go on to talk about origin or cause of innate behaviours.

Classically, natural selection is used to describe the process which drives evolution, in other words natural selection means survival of the fittest. Is there something else that intervenes in the evolution of species? Perhaps human intervention, but certainly not a force.

In regards to innate behaviour, such as hunting instincts in dogs, these traits are predisposed as a result of the genetic blueprint of the brain (gene expression). As specific genes are passed down from one successful generation to the next, it stands to reason that the same method responsible for passing down physical traits would also account for innate mental attributes. After all the brain is just another organ with some basic bio-chemical composite as the rest of the body.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

"Natural selection" refers to changes in biology over the last four billion years.

There was geological development that occurred before abiogenesis, a development that made abiogenesis possible. The Earth started out as an unstructured blob of rocks in the Sun's proto-planetary disc but over time developed the complexity in structure and form life to emerge.

That geological change is not formally referred to as "evolution". Nonetheless, "geological evolution" was obviously an earlier part of a larger process that later on included biological evolution, and now includes "technological evolution". It's all still the same process in the change from protoplanetary asteroid to a planet with intelligent technologically adept life.

If we consider our own journey from zygote to now, we too went through phases, turning points - in pregnancy, as babies, toddlers, children, teens, young adults, mature adults, older adults, elderly and geriatric. All these things are just growth and change in the universe, which occurs everywhere all the time at varying rates.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

I guess contraints of given forms would affect things.

IOW having an extra arm in the middle of your face would likely lead to structural problems. The small muscles of the face working around the circumferance of the skull suddenly integrating with a jutting out limb, more or less at a right angle, the torque...off the top of my head it seems unlikely to hold. So one can class this as a part of natural selection - that such homo sapiens with face arms would be able to use their senses less well, the arm would not qwork well, etc. and this leads to selection out. But another way to put it is that GIVEN the shape and functions of current bodies some changes are much more likely to take place and be a benefit. So the given bodies determine likely good forms.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

As a wannabe sci-fi writer, I very much like the idea of face arms :)

They would interfere with the field of vision, so a face-limbed mutant would be perhaps less likely to survive and reproduce than peers better able to see predator and prey. The ability to feed oneself with one's arms full is not enough of an advantage to overcome the disadvantages. Every "feature" on an animal or plant comes at a cost from its energy needs, so minimalism is the order of the day, with no more features than are necessary.

This is why humans have dull senses as compared with most other mammals. Our brain is so energy hungry that, if we had also incredible senses, we'd need many more calories to live than we do now. However, there was an ice age about 60,000 years ago, which killed off a huge portion of the human species at the time, drastically reducing their numbers.

In that scenario, it's easy to imagine how the people then with lower energy needs would have an advantage. That could have resulted in sharper senses and less intelligence but instead it seems that more effective brains were more advantaged and the senses dulled. There's probably not much to sense in vast snowy fields anyway :)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Elephants seem to do ok with their face-arms.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Good point. I was thinking of an extra appendage, like some horrid arm protruding from the forehead. I might have been thrown by associating trunks with tentacles rather than arms. Trunks are interesting things - multi purpose limbs. I wonder if they catch colds? I'm thinking that an elephant with a stuffy trunk might find its trunk mobility and grip restricted.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

JamesOfSeattle wrote: August 27th, 2018, 12:55 am In contrast to others, I think it is very apt to describe natural selection as a force, albeit with the understanding that a more detailed explanation may not contain any mention of “force”. This is analogous to the “force” of gravity. In both cases referring to “force” simply indicates the observation of a tendency for things to develop in a certain way.
This absurd misconception lies at the heart of one of the greatest confusions of our world.
It's no wonder that weird concepts such as ID and creationism persist when NS is so poorly conceived.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Felix wrote: August 27th, 2018, 3:23 pm That is, force of will can drive organisms to seek out and adapt to new habitats, and in so doing they develop different traits and characteristics.
Will is a trait arrived at by natural selection, so you only confirm that NS is at the heart of all evolution.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream