What is the most important type of intelligence?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
LuckyR

Re: What is the most important type of intelligence?

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 2:48 am But where is the evidence for those so called “intelligences?”

By this I mean “social,” “intrapersonal,” “emotional,” and “practical.”
You mean that they exist at all?
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I am asking what they mean and what evidence there is for them.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 2:52 am I am asking what they mean and what evidence there is for them.
They are somewhat open to interpretation based on individual life experience, and similarly the "evidence" for them is likely equally imperfect to the evidence for the lay meaning of intelligence.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Alright, for example things like “emotional intelligence” can be explained away combining g with personality traits.

IQ tests, while not without faults, do show something related to the idea of g-factor. Things like “intrapersonal” are more likely a combination of extraversion and g.

The only widely accepted definition of “intelligence” splits intelligence into two main parts (“fluid” and “crystalline”.) It does really make sense to say which is the “most important” though, other than stating that without fluid intelligence we don’t learn and anything new - which seems important to me.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 3:20 am Alright, for example things like “emotional intelligence” can be explained away combining g with personality traits.

IQ tests, while not without faults, do show something related to the idea of g-factor. Things like “intrapersonal” are more likely a combination of extraversion and g.

The only widely accepted definition of “intelligence” splits intelligence into two main parts (“fluid” and “crystalline”.) It does really make sense to say which is the “most important” though, other than stating that without fluid intelligence we don’t learn and anything new - which seems important to me.
I am not sure that the OP was specifically asking about the comparo between fluid and crystalline computational intelligence.
oliverzhang
New Trial Member

Post by oliverzhang »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 3:20 am Alright, for example things like “emotional intelligence” can be explained away combining g with personality traits.

Perhaps something like "emotional intelligence" also has something to do with crystallized intelligence.

Crystallized intelligence is specialized; knowledge of chess doesn't largely apply to knowledge of social situations. Thus, we break crystallized intelligence into some categories like "emotional intelligence", "social intelligence", etc. The speed of the acquiring of knowledge in these categories then relies on fluid intelligence and personality traits.

The question of "Which intelligence is the most important?" becomes the question of "what type of knowledge should we try to acquire?" This is a useful question to answer. (My answer still, is intrapersonal intelligence.)

Is there anything I'm missing? I haven't done much research into the big 5 personality traits; am I misrepresenting that model in any way?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Yes, you are misrepresenting the model. The degree to which you mix sociallably would be more about your personality traits than intelligence. If you’re high in extroversion, openness, agreeable and have low neuroticism then you’ll be more sociable - if you’re also intelligence then you’ll be better able to orientate yourself in social circles, read people and be aware of others emotions because the g-factor is basically about how you sort the data and make connectons not about the subject matter it is applied to.
AKA badgerjelly
oliverzhang
New Trial Member

Post by oliverzhang »

I'm unsure what I'm misrepresenting; I agree with your statement. I'm just saying that the personality traits + g-factor model misses our on the amount of knowledge you've acquired.

If you have a more sociable personality, then you'll be more social. If you're g-factor is larger, you'll be better at socializing.

But also, if you have more experience socializing, you'll be better at it.

(And you'll appear to have more "social intelligence", but all of that "intelligence" can't be attributed to just g-factor and personality traits; some of it comes from experience. And from my readings, this experience is called "crystallized intelligence," though again, I could be wrong.)
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

The point of psychometrics is to distinguish distinct mental attributes. There is overlap, but it’s minimal.

“Social Intelligence” is simply two distinct points combined. That is all I was saying. I just prefer to use the term “intelligence” carefully in the sense that I don’t call combinations of g-factor and neuroticism “Stress Intelligence.”
AKA badgerjelly
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot »

A message from Council Leader Elijah Michael Karicas~~
So, as an intellectual of the (grand) Council, I believe before you know anything else it is always most important to be certain of yourself. The most important intelligence might well b situational, but you are the only true constant in your own self. I choose intrapersonal as the most important intelligence because one must know their own self and understand their self in each situation they act upon. However, it is true that fluid knowledge is widely considered the most important, because the ability to adapt is necessary in many situations, whether you realize why or not. It is very important to adapt, very important to be able to adaptively think so you can correctly act, but no action is confirmedly correct unless you can be certain is true to yourself. Here in Council town, we believe in ourself, the individual and have trained ourself to be CERTAIN of our morals and paths predetermined for action before we act. Stay Woke!
p.s. I am not a psychologist or any of that so this is all speculative BSing. Merry Studying!
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot »

Oooh, I already posted but I thought I might just say, it is VERY important to have crystal intelligence so that one does not find themselves unsure or incorrect in a situation that they should have been prepared for, since certain knowledges that could have secured their correctness that have been presented to them previously were incorrectly handled. STAY WOKE PEACE
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Weight wrote: September 7th, 2018, 3:04 pm There are many different types of intelligence's that a person can posses. Fluid intelligence is the ability to think through a problem that one has never been introduced to before. Crystallized intelligence is the type of intelligence that one gains from experience and learning. There are different models of intelligence that say successful or practical intelligence (the smarts to get ahead) is the best type of intelligence while others say that interpersonal (The ability to understand other peoples motives, thoughts and desires) or intrapersonal (Ability to be aware of ones own thoughts, motives, feelings) are more important.
What is the most important type of intelligence a person can posses? I think it is a mixture between the two intelligence's (Successful and intrapersonal) because then you would have control of your own inflictive emotions and would generally be more of a happy person, as well as being able to achieve more balance in your life and get ahead in what you do in your life (philosophy, work,studying or whatever).
Being able to find peace of mind and happiness for yourself and people you know is one of the most important things to do in life. The most important type of intelligence's are the ones that help achieve that in my mind.
Thoughts?
What division of sociology or anthropology are these definitions coming from?

Do you have a citation? A textbook? Anything like that?
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Burning ghost wrote: November 21st, 2018, 7:27 pm The point of psychometrics is to distinguish distinct mental attributes. There is overlap, but it’s minimal.

“Social Intelligence” is simply two distinct points combined. That is all I was saying. I just prefer to use the term “intelligence” carefully in the sense that I don’t call combinations of g-factor and neuroticism “Stress Intelligence.”
I agree.

I simply use the word "intelligence/intelligent" to denote all bright minds who can solve difficult problems efficiently and reasonably with soundness.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream