What is the most important type of intelligence?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Weight

What is the most important type of intelligence?

Post by Weight »

There are many different types of intelligence's that a person can posses. Fluid intelligence is the ability to think through a problem that one has never been introduced to before. Crystallized intelligence is the type of intelligence that one gains from experience and learning. There are different models of intelligence that say successful or practical intelligence (the smarts to get ahead) is the best type of intelligence while others say that interpersonal (The ability to understand other peoples motives, thoughts and desires) or intrapersonal (Ability to be aware of ones own thoughts, motives, feelings) are more important.
What is the most important type of intelligence a person can posses? I think it is a mixture between the two intelligence's (Successful and intrapersonal) because then you would have control of your own inflictive emotions and would generally be more of a happy person, as well as being able to achieve more balance in your life and get ahead in what you do in your life (philosophy, work,studying or whatever).
Being able to find peace of mind and happiness for yourself and people you know is one of the most important things to do in life. The most important type of intelligence's are the ones that help achieve that in my mind.
Thoughts?
ThomasHobbes

Re: What is the most important type of intelligence?

Post by ThomasHobbes »

When the **** hits the fan, there is nothing more important than practical intelligence.
Without that you are dead.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

You could approach it like this: the most "important" (a loaded term) type of intelligence is that which is inclined toward inquiry. It stands in distinction to dogma. Now, dogma is certainly not therefore the worst kind, it is just at odds with what will contradict it, and is fundamentally important, for without dogma, there is no inquiry, but this is ahead of the game.
Inquiry opens doors to possibilities, for one thing. One could not have knowledge in the first place unless inquiry had been brought to bear upon presumptions of knowledge, prior to it inception. to know means having inquired, and inquiry is inherently destructive, which is required in order to bring new possibilities to light. For another, inquiry has no limits. it is quite an amazing phenomenon, for once it starts, it never ends by its own nature, but keeps going into any proposition that would make a claim to knowledge, and such claims are always forthcoming. Paradigms, Thomas Kuhn called them. Beliefs is another word, short of knowledge. Then knowledge, more secure but provisional. Third, inquiry shows us our own nature, for since every knowledge claim is subject to inquiry, and it is knowedge claims that are, as with all things, at the basis for understanding what we are, what I am, then, it follows that there is no finality to the quest for the identity of the self. This makes for the most interesting thing a person can do: shut up and let the world speak. To do this, we must give up the pretense to knowing.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

The OP is fault here in misunderstanding the terminology.

It is not a question of “fluid intelligence” or “crystalized intelligence”. They are both aspects of the g factor (general intelligence.) As an analogy we could perhaps say that “crystalized intelligence” is basically what a computer is.

Basically when it comes to psychometrics (from what I understand) there are reasonably well defined aspects including General Intelligence (IQ is one measurement and the most reliable and studied of all) and the Big Five personality aspects. The empirical data for anything else is either too flimsy or absent - and even the above mentioned measures are far from infallable.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Certain intellectual skills help in the avoidance of large negatives whereas others assist in furthering the acquisition of positives. Personally, the latter helped more in my youth, but the former ended up more valuable in the long run.
"As usual... it depends."
jlaugh

Post by jlaugh »

I think there can be no definitive answer to this question. At best, one can only provide a persuasive argument, which is still no mean feat. As it goes without saying, one may or may not agree with another's persuasive argument.

Here's my 2 cents' worth: I think intuition is highly important and largely misunderstood. All of us possess and exercise intuition on a daily basis. Yet, we hesitate to call it a faculty. It is often associated with the irrational. To be sure, it can't be defined very well, but it can be felt and nurtured nonetheless.

Anybody here read Gadamer's "Truth and Method"? There's a very interesting account of the phenomenon of artistic understanding in it. That could be considered quite a good definition of intuition.

In short, I'd say intuition is important.
Frewah

Post by Frewah »

I think it's social intelligence. It neatly explains why the neanderthals are gone wile we are not. Archaeology shows that what you find where there were neanderthals were local only while ours came from places very far away. This skill made it possible for us to get new ideas and to be part of different groups which can be very useful when times are hard. It could mean the difference between survival and starvation.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

I'm stuck thinking about this in terms of society and public weal, and the best form of intelligence to be common among people might simply be good common sense and in line with that the ability to make a balanced and cohesive picture of people, places, and events. Without that you get people buying into demagogues and all sorts of strange Manichean and utopian visions. Seems Steven Pinker may be right about our trajectory but we have to hold ourselves together long enough to cross the particular finish line he's thinking of.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Frewah wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 4:39 pm I think it's social intelligence. It neatly explains why the neanderthals are gone wile we are not.
No it does not. Neanderthals are thought to have a high level of social intelligence. They were wiped out by a lack of technology, which would indicate that practical intelligence were far more important.

Bone analysis indicates that N would care for their crippled fellows well beyond their usefulness to society. Too much social intelligence might be more accurate.
Frewah

Post by Frewah »

I had to look this up. What I read is that they were more intelligent than we give them credit for and that they were unable to adapt. A smithsonian paleonthropologist remarks that humans had long distance trade networks which could have provided some buffering when the preferred food wasn’t available. The neanderthals did not. Therefore, I still think that social intelligence is really important.

https://insider.si.edu/2015/08/why-did- ... o-extinct/
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

What I read is that they were more intelligent than we give them credit for and that they were unable to adapt.
Speak for yourself. I've always given them lots of credit but they just got a bad press. They probably needed a new agent.
A smithsonian paleonthropologist remarks that humans had long distance trade networks which could have provided some buffering when the preferred food wasn’t available.
And yet now it seems to be fashionable to say that globalism is a bad thing.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

The thing that's given globalism a bad name is the lack of planning for the reciprocal effects that it would have in the west. Even though we technically have to drop in wealth to some degree and move toward equilibrium with the rest of the world we're still on a 20th century economic model which only plans gracefully for growth and its crushing the working class, which in turn inspires both left and right-wing populism.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
oliverzhang
New Trial Member

Post by oliverzhang »

Let's say we have a person Bob.

If Bob is straight up missing any intelligence (emotional, social, intrapersonal, practical, IQ), then his life probably sucks. In that sense, a little bit of all intelligence is important. Okay, so let's say that Bob has average intelligence of all types, and he has a choice to get smarter in one area.

I would say that he should chose intrapersonal intelligence (the intelligence of knowing yourself) because it leads him to other intelligence as well.

Let's say Bob wants to be successful, surely Bob should chose practical intelligence right? Not quite; with practical intelligence Bob might be able to get ahead in a field, but choosing the right field is not that easy. Bob might wake up one day as a very successful doctor and realize that he's unhappy. Instead with intrapersonal intelligence, Bob might be slower than average doctor, but he's sure that this is the right path for him.

But since Bob understand himself well, Bob knows how to motivate himself. So Bob might not be as smart as a normal doctor, but Bob, with his powers of self-motivation, can work a little harder than the average doctor.

Furthermore intrapersonal intelligence teaches Bob social intelligence. Let's say that Joe's unhappy. Bob, with his average empathy, can place himself in Joe's shoes. Bob can then reason how Joe might be feeling based on what Bob would feel himself. This won't be a perfect match of course, since Bob isn't Joe, but in most circumstances its a good enough match.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

oliverzhang wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 12:44 pm Let's say we have a person Bob.

If Bob is straight up missing any intelligence (emotional, social, intrapersonal, practical, IQ), then his life probably sucks. In that sense, a little bit of all intelligence is important. Okay, so let's say that Bob has average intelligence of all types, and he has a choice to get smarter in one area.

I would say that he should chose intrapersonal intelligence (the intelligence of knowing yourself) because it leads him to other intelligence as well.

Let's say Bob wants to be successful, surely Bob should chose practical intelligence right? Not quite; with practical intelligence Bob might be able to get ahead in a field, but choosing the right field is not that easy. Bob might wake up one day as a very successful doctor and realize that he's unhappy. Instead with intrapersonal intelligence, Bob might be slower than average doctor, but he's sure that this is the right path for him.

But since Bob understand himself well, Bob knows how to motivate himself. So Bob might not be as smart as a normal doctor, but Bob, with his powers of self-motivation, can work a little harder than the average doctor.

Furthermore intrapersonal intelligence teaches Bob social intelligence. Let's say that Joe's unhappy. Bob, with his average empathy, can place himself in Joe's shoes. Bob can then reason how Joe might be feeling based on what Bob would feel himself. This won't be a perfect match of course, since Bob isn't Joe, but in most circumstances its a good enough match.
Well put. That's what I was referring to in post #5
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

But where is the evidence for those so called “intelligences?”

By this I mean “social,” “intrapersonal,” “emotional,” and “practical.”
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream