Intelligent design

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Sculptor1

Re: Intelligent design

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Mark1955 wrote: July 5th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Well you obviously think so, some of us may choos to differ. The concept of 'first' anything is a product of a limited human consciousness that cannot think beyond the limiited sensory inputs except by describing things in the limited terms that it can perceive. If there was no begining and there will be no end then there is no need for a creator because nothing has been created just changed and our observations of physics and chemistry and biology show that lots of change is going on.
My view is that every state of the universe is a function of the previous temporal state. If things have existed 'forever' then there is by definition no first state. If there is no first state, then the second state is undetermined, and the third, so by induction, the universe has no present state and does not exist.
Non sequitur.
A temporal infinity does not imply a first state, and the non existence of a first state , doe not imply a second state. You are imposing arbitrary boundaries, which cannot exist in the sense that one becomes the other. We all move through time at different rates according to our vector's ration to the speed of light. There is no "second state" determinable or not. Since all things according to their velocity are moving through time at their own rates the idea of a present state is not coherent, but it does not follow that the universe does not exist.
Nothing exists in a time bubble.
The universe is existing.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 6th, 2019, 6:48 am
devans99 wrote: July 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm

My view is that every state of the universe is a function of the previous temporal state. If things have existed 'forever' then there is by definition no first state. If there is no first state, then the second state is undetermined, and the third, so by induction, the universe has no present state and does not exist.
Non sequitur.
A temporal infinity does not imply a first state, and the non existence of a first state , doe not imply a second state. You are imposing arbitrary boundaries, which cannot exist in the sense that one becomes the other. We all move through time at different rates according to our vector's ration to the speed of light. There is no "second state" determinable or not. Since all things according to their velocity are moving through time at their own rates the idea of a present state is not coherent, but it does not follow that the universe does not exist.
What I mean is a temporal infinity implies NO INITIAL STATE and everything requires an initial state to be fully defined/determined:

- A system (like the universe) has a state
- That state is determined by the previous states
- Existing forever implies no initial state
- So none of the states of the system can be fully determined (they all depend on that missing initial state)

An example would be from pool. The initial state is the balls racked. That initial state is a determinant all the subsequent states. If the initial state is removed (take the balls away) there are no subsequent states.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 6th, 2019, 8:08 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 6th, 2019, 6:48 am
Non sequitur.
What I mean is a temporal infinity implies NO INITIAL STATE and everything requires an initial state to be fully defined/determined:
No. in a temporal infinity there is no meaning to "initial state". Nothing has an initial state and determinism requires no initial state.
All effect have multiple causes. You are using one way to look at reality and then applying a different one to offer a paradox
- So none of the states of the system can be fully determined (they all depend on that missing initial state)
No. There is nothing missing. "A state" is only a matter of perspective, in just the same way the idea of initiating an effect, is also a perspectival problem. Since we apply a sense of initiating things; we are born, we die. We switch from childhood to adulthood. Yet these are all subjective to our lived experience. But when you step back for a moment NONE of these things ever has an initiation. A birth is just part of a process of growth.

An example would be from pool. The initial state is the balls racked. That initial state is a determinant all the subsequent states. If the initial state is removed (take the balls away) there are no subsequent states.
Just a matter of convenience. Ask yourself this. Is the initiating moment of a game of pool, when they balls are stacked; when the rack frame comes off the balls; when the first shot happens; when someone offers you a game; or when you decided to go out tonight and find a pool hall. Maybe it was the moment those balls came off the production line?
So where is your initial state?
Nowhere.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 2:45 pm
devans99 wrote: July 6th, 2019, 8:08 am

No. in a temporal infinity there is no meaning to "initial state". Nothing has an initial state and determinism requires no initial state.
All effect have multiple causes. You are using one way to look at reality and then applying a different one to offer a paradox
No. There is nothing missing. "A state" is only a matter of perspective, in just the same way the idea of initiating an effect, is also a perspectival problem. Since we apply a sense of initiating things; we are born, we die. We switch from childhood to adulthood. Yet these are all subjective to our lived experience. But when you step back for a moment NONE of these things ever has an initiation. A birth is just part of a process of growth.

Just a matter of convenience. Ask yourself this. Is the initiating moment of a game of pool, when they balls are stacked; when the rack frame comes off the balls; when the first shot happens; when someone offers you a game; or when you decided to go out tonight and find a pool hall. Maybe it was the moment those balls came off the production line?
Nowhere.
Everything has to an initiation. Or are you are saying you think you could exist without being born?

Would you agree that any system, studied over a finite period of time, has an initial state that determines all subsequent states? It is that initial state that makes all the subsequent states real. So if we now extend out to a system studied over an infinite period of time, then there is no initial state (because -∞ / past eternity has no start by definition). A start of time is required to make the contents of the universe 'real'.

So with pool, the choice of the initiating moment can be varied according to the period of time we consider, but there must be an initiating moment and that is not possible with a past infinity of time - no pool and no universe.

One example I gave on another thread: imagine an eternally existing clock. What time does it read now? Past eternity has no start - so the clock never started keeping time - so it cannot have a current time. In fact the clock never started existing either so it does not exist. Same argument applies to the universe.

So past time must be finite. There are many other arguments for this. Here is one:

1. If past time is infinite the universe should go through all possible states eventually
2. But some states are equilibrium states
3. Isolated systems naturally tend towards equilibrium with time
4. Once equilibrium is reached, no further change in the universe is possible
5. Example equilibrium states would be all matter in the universe in one gigantic black hole, or all matter converted to energy
6. So because we are not in equilibrium, time must be finite

Or I could argue from the BB, or entropy, or the measure problem, or the impossibility of the actually infinite, or BGV theorem. I think 'past time is infinite' is not a defensible position - there is just too much evidence on the other side of the debate.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 3:23 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Nowhere.
Everything has to an initiation. Or are you are saying you think you could exist without being born?
My being born was just one event in a long line of events. There was no initial stage.
The egg from which my body was formed had been in my mother's ovaries since the moment she was born in 1931. The seed which bonded with that egg was formed in my father's testicles in 1959. Every day I live, I change. There is not a molecule in my body that was there seven years ago.
When was I ?
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 6:06 pm
devans99 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 3:23 pm

My being born was just one event in a long line of events. There was no initial stage.
The egg from which my body was formed had been in my mother's ovaries since the moment she was born in 1931. The seed which bonded with that egg was formed in my father's testicles in 1959. Every day I live, I change. There is not a molecule in my body that was there seven years ago.
When was I ?
Yes there was an initial stage - all of your matter is part of a wider system - the universe - and that matter/wider system has to start existing at some point - else it does not exist. It has to have an initial state or else there are no subsequent states.

Another example using a pool analogy: Imagine a frictionless perfect pool table. The balls are all wizzing around. We know they cannot have been wizzing around eternally - we can infer an initial state of the white being set in motion by the player. If that initial state did not exist, then there would be no motion. With your view of eternal past time, the balls would be wizzing around and would never have been set in motion - which is clearly impossible.

Past eternity has no start so everything within it is undefined - there is no initial state so there can be no subsequent states.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 6:06 pm

When was I ?
Yes there was an initial stage - all of your matter is part of a wider system - the universe - and that matter/wider system has to start existing at some point - else it does not exist. It has to have an initial state or else there are no subsequent states.

Another example using a pool analogy: Imagine a frictionless perfect pool table. The balls are all wizzing around. We know they cannot have been wizzing around eternally - we can infer an initial state of the white being set in motion by the player. If that initial state did not exist, then there would be no motion. With your view of eternal past time, the balls would be wizzing around and would never have been set in motion - which is clearly impossible.

Past eternity has no start so everything within it is undefined - there is no initial state so there can be no subsequent states.
The universe has no interest in your self appointed "initial stages". That is just the tendency of the human mind to organise things to understand them better.
As far as reality goes I'm just another collection of atoms, which continually collect and disperse.

Here is the point where you are confusing yourself;
"We know they cannot have been wizzing around eternally..."
This is ********. You cannot say this. You don't know this. You cannot have the perspective.

All the evidence points to ball wizzing all the time. In your brief life all the evidence points to wizzing balls, with NO remittance. Nothing is still, not ever. You have no evidence of ANY initial state.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 6:58 pm
The universe has no interest in your self appointed "initial stages". That is just the tendency of the human mind to organise things to understand them better.
As far as reality goes I'm just another collection of atoms, which continually collect and disperse.

This is ********. You cannot say this. You don't know this. You cannot have the perspective.

All the evidence points to ball wizzing all the time. In your brief life all the evidence points to wizzing balls, with NO remittance. Nothing is still, not ever. You have no evidence of ANY initial state.
What evidence can you provide for infinite past time?

The Big Bang points to a start of time. The low entropy of the universe points to a start of time. The fact we are not in equilibrium points to a start of time. I am not aware of any evidence that things have existed forever in time and as I've pointed out, that's logically impossible.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 7:18 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Duh!
None. Neither can you say anything about it either, yet you pretend it is impossible on no logoc or reason at all.

The Big Bang points to a start of time.
BB is a theoretic construct, in which the very laws of nature are in flux. Nothing can be know about what existed before that point. Sadly nothing can even be said about that point either.
The low entropy of the universe points to a start of time.
No a low entropy universe points to a low entropy universe

The fact we are not in equilibrium points to a start of time.
No lack of apparent equilibrium points to lack of equilibrium.

I am not aware of any evidence that things have existed forever in time and as I've pointed out, that's logically impossible.
No what is logically impossible is that something can come from nothing.

The questions about things existing forever is not a logical point; It is an empirical claim, sadly one that is impossible to verify.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 8:19 am
devans99 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Duh!
None. Neither can you say anything about it either, yet you pretend it is impossible on no logoc or reason at all.

The Big Bang points to a start of time.
BB is a theoretic construct, in which the very laws of nature are in flux. Nothing can be know about what existed before that point. Sadly nothing can even be said about that point either.
The low entropy of the universe points to a start of time.

The fact we are not in equilibrium points to a start of time.

I am not aware of any evidence that things have existed forever in time and as I've pointed out, that's logically impossible.

The questions about things existing forever is not a logical point; It is an empirical claim, sadly one that is impossible to verify.
So you admit there is no evidence to support an always existing universe, but you doubt the evidence that points to a start of time. Lets review it:

The BB - as matter density increases as we get closer to the singularity, time slows down in the strengthening gravitational field. Just before the singularity time would be running incredibly slow. At the singularity we cannot say what happens to time but you have to admit it looks a lot like the start of time.

Entropy - always increases with time. So with infinite time, entropy would be at a maximum. But the entropy of the universe is low - so time cannot be infinite.

Equilibrium - with infinite time, the universe must have gone through every possible state. Some of those states are equilibrium states. Once in equilibrium, we stay in equilibrium. We are not in equilibrium. So time must be finite.

I did not say something came from nothing - it is probably the case that matter entered time at the start of time (the BB) - that is not something from nothing.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 11:24 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 8:19 am
Duh!

So you admit there is no evidence to support an always existing universe, but you doubt the evidence that points to a start of time. Lets review it:

The BB - as matter density increases as we get closer to the singularity, time slows down in the strengthening gravitational field. Just before the singularity time would be running incredibly slow. At the singularity we cannot say what happens to time but you have to admit it looks a lot like the start of time.

Entropy - always increases with time. So with infinite time, entropy would be at a maximum. But the entropy of the universe is low - so time cannot be infinite.

Equilibrium - with infinite time, the universe must have gone through every possible state. Some of those states are equilibrium states. Once in equilibrium, we stay in equilibrium. We are not in equilibrium. So time must be finite.

I did not say something came from nothing - it is probably the case that matter entered time at the start of time (the BB) - that is not something from nothing.
These only apply to a narrow view of the universe. The limited visible universe. One that assumes that the BB was a start and not part of a wider process.
For all we know the universe is continually expanding and contracting on and infinite cycle.
The massive problem with BB is that it asserts that something comes from nothing. Such a thing has never been witnessed.
The stuff about equilibrium is without merit. All examples where equilibrium can be seen to be achieved are all temporary.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 11:59 am These only apply to a narrow view of the universe. The limited visible universe. One that assumes that the BB was a start and not part of a wider process.
For all we know the universe is continually expanding and contracting on and infinite cycle.
The massive problem with BB is that it asserts that something comes from nothing. Such a thing has never been witnessed.
The stuff about equilibrium is without merit. All examples where equilibrium can be seen to be achieved are all temporary.
The leading multiple universe theory is eternal inflation and it has the multiverse with a definite start in the past. Don't believe that theory personally (violates Occam's Razor and common sense).

I think a cycle of continuous expansion/contraction is not possible - the cycle length would either increase (so be infinite by now - contradicts BB being 14 billion years ago) or decrease (so everything would be one big black hole by now). A constant cycle length would appear very unlikely and fine tuned (pointing to a fine tuner). I know there are cosmologies based on this but they far fetched IMO.

The BB is not something from nothing. It could be that the zero energy universe hypothesis holds and energy/matter was created in exchange for negative gravitational energy. Or it could be that energy/matter existed timelessly and entered time with the BB.

The point with equilibrium is that there are no net forces acting - once a system is in equilibrium it does not ever come out unless some external agent acts upon it. So if the universe ever entered equilibrium (which it must with infinite time) then it would still be in equilibrium.

Here is a thought experiment of infinite time for your consideration:

1. Imagine a backwards travelling, counting, eternal, time traveller
2. Then the traveller, will from our perspective, have counted every number!
3. If this is not an actually completed infinite process, I’m not sure what would qualify
4. So a believe in an eternal past equates to a belief that it is possible to count all numbers (surely an impossible task?)
5. BTW, no number called 'infinity' will ever be counted - actual infinity is not a number IMO
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

devans99 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 1:01 pm The BB is not something from nothing. It could be that the zero energy universe hypothesis holds and energy/matter was created in exchange for negative gravitational energy. Or it could be that energy/matter existed timelessly and entered time with the BB.ber IMO

Is that ordinary fudge, or far fetched fudge.
This is all just hot air since there is no answer possible
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Syamsu
The human brain is an extension of the information processing capability of the dna system.
Just a thought: If you are looking for structure or design, then you don't have far to look at all, for all you see is conditioned by your rational mind, and what is greater evidence of "design" than a hypothetical proposition, or modus ponens, or a formal argument in symbolic logic?
But it is not a question of design, it is a question of meaning. It is within the depth of experience (and I am aware there are those who don't know what I am talking about on this. Oh well) that affirmation of purpose is found, not in the formal conditions of design or reason. As Hume made clear, "Tis not contrary to reason to prefer the destruction of the whole world to the scratching of my finger." Design "means" nothing in itself, but the presence of love, happiness, suffering, despair and so forth--these make for what would be at the center of a "sufficient reason" argument that the argument by intelligent design seeks.
Without value, the world is a stone. Perhaps a diamond, but who cares?
Jonathan A Bain
New Trial Member

Post by Jonathan A Bain »

I enter the fray like this:

The idea I am about to express is a combination of Descartes proof of God
as well as the proof from Aquinas. (Both those are worth exploring in themselves).

It goes like this:

Which is greater: A slug or nothing?
Obviously a slug is infinitely greater than nothing.

Would you believe somebody if they said a slug caused the universe?
Not likely!

So why do you believe those who say nothing caused the universe?
It is infinitely more likely that the slug did it because we already
know that a slug is infinitely greater than nothing.

Ok well that is just likelihoods. Something like the universe is much
greater than the slug, so that which is greater cannot come from that
which is lesser.

But the universe is still infinitely greater than nothing!
So on that basis you cannot say the universe comes from nothing.

Ok so maybe it was not God but just super-aliens that caused the universe.
Perhaps this entire universe is just a theme-park or the set of an elaborate
alien movie, and we are just the decorations and extras.

Well in that sense, the super-aliens are pretty much God, not so?
At least from our perspective, there is precious little difference...

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream