Magical thinking in science and philosophy

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Atla

Magical thinking in science and philosophy

Post by Atla »

Here are my 3 favourites (there are more, but these take the prize in my opinion):

1. Strong emergence. We get something out of nothing, for example: we get mind out of matter; we get qualia out of the complexity of matter; we get the Big Bang and the entire universe out of nothing and so on.

People employ the technique of handwaving to demonstrate how something extra emeeeerges out of nothing.

2. Encoded information. Shannon information is a dimensionless abstract concept created in the last century. So then people employed the technique of the reification fallacy to treat information as a newly discovered thing that exists in addition to matter. So now bits of information are encoded 'in' matter and so on, effectively duplicating the universe.

3. Classical realm vs quantum realm. People employed the technique of shut up and calculate so they could sweep the problems under the carpet.
So if I zoom out and squint this way, it's all 'real' and it's the classical world. If I zoom in and squint that way, none of it is 'real' and it's the quantum world.

I don't get it, why are such fallacies still so mainstream?
True philosophy points to the Moon
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Magical thinking in science and philosophy

Post by Terrapin Station »

Matter isn't nothing. Matter necessarily has properties.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

Atla wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm Here are my 3 favourites (there are more, but these take the prize in my opinion):

1. Strong emergence. We get something out of nothing, for example: we get mind out of matter; we get qualia out of the complexity of matter; we get the Big Bang and the entire universe out of nothing and so on.

People employ the technique of handwaving to demonstrate how something extra emeeeerges out of nothing.

2. Encoded information. Shannon information is a dimensionless abstract concept created in the last century. So then people employed the technique of the reification fallacy to treat information as a newly discovered thing that exists in addition to matter. So now bits of information are encoded 'in' matter and so on, effectively duplicating the universe.

3. Classical realm vs quantum realm. People employed the technique of shut up and calculate so they could sweep the problems under the carpet.
So if I zoom out and squint this way, it's all 'real' and it's the classical world. If I zoom in and squint that way, none of it is 'real' and it's the quantum world.

I don't get it, why are such fallacies still so mainstream?
Something from nothing is not a logical proposition, so like you say, magic would have to be involved. The three most common ideas on how the universe came to be are:
1. The universe appeared out of nothing with a Big Bang
2. God created the universe
3. The universe was always here

Number 3 seems most logical to me, since the present moment is always here and everything exists in the present. Number 1 doesn’t make much sense and number two has the problem of whom created God?
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 10th, 2020, 8:17 pm Matter isn't nothing. Matter necessarily has properties.
Of course matter isn't nothing, but matter is its properties.
When we think of matter plus the properties it has (the information content of it), we are talking about two things so we have cognitively duplicated the universe.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I don't agree with the way that any of those 3 concepts have been characterized.

1. Emergence is simply the idea that there are properties of complex systems which cannot be extrapolated from consideration of their individual parts - from reductionism. This clearly appears to be the case. For example, human beings seem to have minds. Human brains appear to be composed of atoms. If that appearance changes in the future, I might think differently. But for now, it seems reasonable to suppose that mind is an emergent property of matter.

2, Encoded information. Obviously information exists. The Windows Operating System on this computer that I'm using exists. But it is not matter. So if you think it doesn't, you'll have to explain to me exactly what it means to you for something to objectively "exist" and we'll see if we disagree as to the definition of that word.

3. This seems to me to be a garbled account of what was meant by the short, pithy phrase "shut up and calculate". I don't see how you're trying to relate it to some idea that quantum and classical physics are different realms. You'd have to explain more.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 1:34 am
Terrapin Station wrote: January 10th, 2020, 8:17 pm Matter isn't nothing. Matter necessarily has properties.
When we think of matter plus the properties it has (the information content of it), we are talking about two things so we have cognitively duplicated the universe.
I wasn't saying that it's different than properties, I was just using the common language for this. Otherwise I almost always wind up having to explain the less common language, or folks just ignore it.

You're not addressing the point, though. Mental properties are simply properties of matter, just like all other properties.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Atla wrote:Strong emergence. We get something out of nothing,
If you regard this as magical thinking I presume that means you think we don't get something out of nothing.

What is your evidence for supposing that we don't get something out of nothing - Is it logical or empirical? i.e. do you conclude this by deduction purely by thinking about it, in the absence of any sensations, or do you conclude it by induction, by spotting patterns in sensations?
The act that you refer to as "zooming out and squinting" is a colloquial way of talking about reducing the range and accuracy of observations. Laws of physics are models, extrapolated from finite subsets of all possible observations. New observations, at new accuracy levels, are made as time goes by. Where the new observations don't fit the old model, a new model is created which fits all of the observations so far made and which includes the old model as a special case. i.e. you can derive the old model from the new one by making simplifying assumptions. ("assume the horse is spherical").

So Quantum Mechanics includes Classical physics as a special case. The laws of Classical Mechanics and Classical Electromagnetism can be derived from the laws of Quantum Mechanics by making simplifying assumptions.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Steve3007 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:02 am 1. Emergence is simply the idea that there are properties of complex systems which cannot be extrapolated from consideration of their individual parts - from reductionism. This clearly appears to be the case. For example, human beings seem to have minds. Human brains appear to be composed of atoms. If that appearance changes in the future, I might think differently. But for now, it seems reasonable to suppose that mind is an emergent property of matter.
You seem to be mixing weak and strong emergence, I can't really make heads or tails of this. Mind in the physical sense would be weak emergence, and mind in the mental sense would be strong emergence.

Weak emergence (these emergent properties) can be explained by taking into account all the actual parts, not just cherrypicking some parts. Also, we have to keep in mind that the universe has no known parts. So what appears to you to be clearly the case, is probably just magical thinking.

2, Encoded information. Obviously information exists. The Windows Operating System on this computer that I'm using exists. But it is not matter. So if you think it doesn't, you'll have to explain to me exactly what it means to you for something to objectively "exist" and we'll see if we disagree as to the definition of that word.
That's factually completely wrong. Windows is a software, and a software is always a part of the hardware. Software is just electrons flying around and such, depends on how the hardware is manufactured. There is no such thing as information by itself.

3. This seems to me to be a garbled account of what was meant by the short, pithy phrase "shut up and calculate". I don't see how you're trying to relate it to some idea that quantum and classical physics are different realms. You'd have to explain more.
The point is that they usually divide reality into the classical world and the quantum world, and then try to figure out how these two relate to each other. But there is only one world.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:15 am
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 1:34 am
I wasn't saying that it's different than properties, I was just using the common language for this. Otherwise I almost always wind up having to explain the less common language, or folks just ignore it.

You're not addressing the point, though. Mental properties are simply properties of matter, just like all other properties.
I didn't know that that's your point. So in that case, where does the Standard model for example list mental properties as properties of matter?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

So in that case, where does the Standard model for example list mental properties as properties of matter?
If the Standard Model could explicitly do that then obviously mental properties would not be classed as emergent. The Standard Model can't even explicitly and precisely describe complex molecules. It's Physics, not stamp collecting.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Atla wrote:That's factually completely wrong. Windows is a software, and a software is always a part of the hardware. Software is just electrons flying around and such, depends on how the hardware is manufactured. There is no such thing as information by itself.
If my proposition "The operating system of my computer exists" is factually completely wrong, the only reason I can think of for my error is that I've misunderstood the meaning of the word "exists". Could you tell me your understanding of that word to help me out of my ignorance? Do you propose that the only thing we're allowed to think of as existing is the thing we've postulated, in order to describe and predict our sensations, that we call "mass"?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Steve3007 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:17 am If you regard this as magical thinking I presume that means you think we don't get something out of nothing.

What is your evidence for supposing that we don't get something out of nothing - Is it logical or empirical? i.e. do you conclude this by deduction purely by thinking about it, in the absence of any sensations, or do you conclude it by induction, by spotting patterns in sensations?
So you don't consider getting something out of nothing to be magic?
There are no known cases of getting something out of nothing so what evidence are you asking me for?
The act that you refer to as "zooming out and squinting" is a colloquial way of talking about reducing the range and accuracy of observations. Laws of physics are models, extrapolated from finite subsets of all possible observations. New observations, at new accuracy levels, are made as time goes by. Where the new observations don't fit the old model, a new model is created which fits all of the observations so far made and which includes the old model as a special case. i.e. you can derive the old model from the new one by making simplifying assumptions. ("assume the horse is spherical").

So Quantum Mechanics includes Classical physics as a special case. The laws of Classical Mechanics and Classical Electromagnetism can be derived from the laws of Quantum Mechanics by making simplifying assumptions.
Umm no. It's about when or why or how things behace classically (like being in one place) or superpositionally (like for example being in 2 places at once or everywhere at the same time etc.)
Atla

Post by Atla »

Steve3007 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:39 am
Atla wrote:That's factually completely wrong. Windows is a software, and a software is always a part of the hardware. Software is just electrons flying around and such, depends on how the hardware is manufactured. There is no such thing as information by itself.
If my proposition "The operating system of my computer exists" is factually completely wrong, the only reason I can think of for my error is that I've misunderstood the meaning of the word "exists". Could you tell me your understanding of that word to help me out of my ignorance? Do you propose that the only thing we're allowed to think of as existing is the thing we've postulated, in order to describe and predict our sensations, that we call "mass"?
That's not what you said. You said that Windows isn't matter. But of course it is.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Atla wrote:So you don't consider getting something out of nothing to be magic?
There are no known cases of getting something out of nothing so what evidence are you asking me for?
Ah, so your answer to my question is that your evidence is empirical? Derived from sensations?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Umm no. It's about when or why or how things behace classically (like being in one place) or superpositionally (like for example being in 2 places at once or everywhere at the same time etc.)
Things don't "behave classically" or behave quantumly (new word I've invented). See my description of the way that models work.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream