Magical thinking in science and philosophy

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Atla

Re: Magical thinking in science and philosophy

Post by Atla »

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 10:51 am Or alternatively you can treat information as abstract, and say that everything is 'made of' information, but then there's no room for the matter concept.
I mean: alternatively you can treat information as concrete
really can't get used to the lack of an edit function sry
True philosophy points to the Moon
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 9:45 am
chewybrian wrote: January 11th, 2020, 7:18 am

Is the English language a part of your physical being? Were you born with the English language inside you? I think, rather, you were born with an ability to understand ideas, and the English language is one way of encoding ideas, and encouraging you to have an idea in your head similar to the idea in the head of the speaker or writer. You could just as easily have learned French or some other language, just as the computer could run on different software. But the language, for you, and the software, for the computer, are not physical elements built in.

If the computer had its memory wiped out, windows would go away with it, though you might have windows stored separately on discs or something. Similarly, if all humans died today, the English language would die with them, though it may remain stored in dictionaries or other means. In either case, the hardware of the computer could still be present, and your 'hardware', your dead body, may still be present, but the software is not part of that hardware. Software is only information, which the hardware stores, just as language is information which we store.
No, you are just making a similar reification fallacy with language, and then you draw a parallel with software.
Right back at you.

You have attributed a material existence to the ideas that are the essence of the software, and wish to pretend those ideas exist only in that material form, in the atoms and molecules inside the computer. But, the software entered into the computer is nothing if not encoding of ideas that existed in the mind of the man who wrote them. No idea ever enters the computer, but a keystroke or a reading of a spot on a disc is the physical reflection of the non-physical ideas. Such ideas have no material existence, and I am the one who is here trying to say they do not. Yet, I do not deny their existence, and the impact of ideas upon material things. They are real, yet not material--spooky, huh?

Restricting everything to a material existence, if that is what you are doing, is a construct you are trying to impose upon reality, and not reality as I see and experience it. My belief that ideas are real is an extension of my belief in myself and my free will. I can't see the logic in any conclusion I might make which excludes my being there to make it. The computer is not aware of itself; I am. But, I am not so aware of myself that I can convince myself that I do not exist. I see and accept that I, and all others, are more than our physical presence, and more important than anything physical. There is a part of me which is not material, yet real. Ideas exist in the same way, and they impact the material world, as I can. I can write down my idea, but the slip of paper does not become the idea, and more than alterations in the circuits in a computer become the software.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Atla

Post by Atla »

Steve3007 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 10:51 am If you haven't already seen it, you may enjoy this topic:

viewtopic.php?p=232485#p232485

In the video which inspired the topic, the presenter of the lecture discusses this idea of theories that are predicatively accurate but which some might regard as philosophically unsatisfying.
Well I've been trying to make sense of QM since a decade or so, it's still a work in progress. I'm training my mind to think in at least one more dimension. I won't get into it that now, but suffice to say from what I gather, of course the only way forward is some heavily modified variation of the MWI or some relative state interpretation. And it has to be within the nondualist philosophical metaparadigm, so Western philosophy doesn't play.
Atla

Post by Atla »

chewybrian wrote: January 11th, 2020, 10:53 am
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 9:45 am
No, you are just making a similar reification fallacy with language, and then you draw a parallel with software.
Right back at you.

You have attributed a material existence to the ideas that are the essence of the software, and wish to pretend those ideas exist only in that material form, in the atoms and molecules inside the computer. But, the software entered into the computer is nothing if not encoding of ideas that existed in the mind of the man who wrote them. No idea ever enters the computer, but a keystroke or a reading of a spot on a disc is the physical reflection of the non-physical ideas. Such ideas have no material existence, and I am the one who is here trying to say they do not. Yet, I do not deny their existence, and the impact of ideas upon material things. They are real, yet not material--spooky, huh?

Restricting everything to a material existence, if that is what you are doing, is a construct you are trying to impose upon reality, and not reality as I see and experience it. My belief that ideas are real is an extension of my belief in myself and my free will. I can't see the logic in any conclusion I might make which excludes my being there to make it. The computer is not aware of itself; I am. But, I am not so aware of myself that I can convince myself that I do not exist. I see and accept that I, and all others, are more than our physical presence, and more important than anything physical. There is a part of me which is not material, yet real. Ideas exist in the same way, and they impact the material world, as I can. I can write down my idea, but the slip of paper does not become the idea, and more than alterations in the circuits in a computer become the software.
Ideas are abstract, and made of matter too. Technically they are part of your head.
Now I'm not a materialist of course, by matter I just mean whatever we pretend that everything is made of.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:29 am
Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:15 am

I wasn't saying that it's different than properties, I was just using the common language for this. Otherwise I almost always wind up having to explain the less common language, or folks just ignore it.

You're not addressing the point, though. Mental properties are simply properties of matter, just like all other properties.
I didn't know that that's your point. So in that case, where does the Standard model for example list mental properties as properties of matter?
You're not thinking that the standard model lists every single property of all matter, are you? For example, does it list the properties of how stereo systems produce music from vinyl albums?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:17 am
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:29 am
I didn't know that that's your point. So in that case, where does the Standard model for example list mental properties as properties of matter?
You're not thinking that the standard model lists every single property of all matter, are you? For example, does it list the properties of how stereo systems produce music from vinyl albums?
Sure, the part of the inside of the human head called human mind is made of 'matter', and stereo systems are made of 'matter' etc., but then everything is a property of matter. I don't think that's a good definition for property.
Terrapin Station

Not that anything I was saying is in any way dependent on any current theory of physics, by the way. Physicalism/materialism isn't something that's subservient to the current state of physics as a science (as the social practice, the contingent set of beliefs under its rubric, etc.)

Physicalism/materialism is a stance in ontology, about what the nature of the world is.
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:22 am
Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:17 am

Sure, the part of the inside of the human head called human mind is made of 'matter', and stereo systems are made of 'matter' etc., but then everything is a property of matter. I don't think that's a good definition for property.
Wait--stop at "sure" as an answer to my question. Give me a citation for any statement of the standard theory listing the properties of stereo systems.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:31 am
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:22 am
Wait--stop at "sure" as an answer to my question. Give me a citation for any statement of the standard theory listing the properties of stereo systems.
What are you replying to?
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:35 am
Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:31 am

???

I asked you a question, and you responded "sure." I'm addressing "sure" as an answer to my question.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:43 am
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:35 am
???

I asked you a question, and you responded "sure." I'm addressing "sure" as an answer to my question.
Maybe you should read the rest of that comment.
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:51 am
Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:43 am
???

I said "Wait--Let's discuss 'Sure' first."

"Sure" was an answer to my question, no?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:10 pm
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:51 am

Umm no, did you read the rest of that comment?
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:17 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Yes, I read the rest of the comment. But I wanted you to answer my question.

So apparently you didn't answer my question, and I have no idea what "Sure" was in response to. Could you answer my question first?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:17 pm
Yes, I read the rest of the comment. But I wanted you to answer my question.

So apparently you didn't answer my question, and I have no idea what "Sure" was in response to. Could you answer my question first?
You are making pretty lame attempts at trolling, don't you think?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream