The Twin-Slit Experiment

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: The Twin-Slit Experiment

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:Steve, not wishing to butt in on your experiment, but I came across this video about the double-slit experiment that I especially liked, especially how he explained the measurement problem (hint: you don't need a conscious observer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h75DGO3GrF4
Thanks. I'll take a look at it when I have the ability to listen to the soundtrack.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Halc wrote:Perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to convey. For one, how does one send 27 photons "in a single wave pattern" as opposed to not sending them that way? It seems like case b is just case a done 27 times. You can do each of them in separate labs if you want. You get the same predicted results either way, per quantum theory.
This is what I've been trying to get him to explain coherently in his proposed model. He seems to be vaguely proposing that some particles travel across empty space in a related group, in a way that seems to be analogous to an oscillating drop of water or jelly moving across a space. How that is supposed to be in any way related to the observed interference fringes, I don't yet know.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:After all, what we're primarily doing in making predictions for experiments like this is using mathematics, but mathematical objects are not real. They're simply (a) a way that we think about some basic relations we observe, and then the bulk of mathematics is (b) a construction extrapolated from (a), much in the way of building elaborate structures from an erector set. It's simply a language for talking about the way we think about relations.
We're using mathematics in the same way that we're using English language. It's just less prone to ambiguity. We use mathematics to precisely describe the observed behaviour of the surface of water when a "dipper" bobs up and down in it. We use mathematics to precisely describe the observed behaviour of cathode rays as they go through two slits. We use the mathematics to note similarities between the two. We propose that the similarities might continue in the future. We test that proposition.

None of the above constitutes the reification of mathematics that you've discussed previously.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

We're talking about too many issues at once, where we keep going over and over and over them, and then gradually adding more, which I hate doing. For example, here, now we've also brought up the issue of Occam's razor. So one bit at a time, although I'll do one paragraph.
Steve3007 wrote: February 4th, 2020, 10:44 am That is true, in the sense that there is no experiment or observation that could be used to distinguish between different propositions as to what is going on ontologically if all of those propositions stem from the same set of observations. That is where such metaphysical devices as Occam's razor are sometimes invoked. But if our theory doesn't make falsifiable predictions as to what will be observed then it hasn't even reached the first stage. The first stage is to lay out various theories that achieve that basic aim. Only then can we decide among them.
Occam's razor is basically an aesthetic preference.

As I said, all the various possibilities could be set up--by applying the same or similar/at least equivalent mathematical constructions--so that they make exactly the same predictions. They'd all be falsifiable in the same way.

The point is that this fact doesn't enable us to make statements about "what's really going on" behind what we're observing, so that we can state that "this is the behavior of single particles" etc. That's not epistemically justified. What we're observing could be the behavior of all sorts of groupings of particles rather than of single particles.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I didn't intend to discuss Occam's razor specifically. I just brought it up as probably the most well known example of a device whose purpose is to choose between competing theories on purely ontological grounds; i.e. theories which all have already cleared the first hurdle of accurately describing and predicting what is observed.
Terrapin Station

Halc wrote: February 4th, 2020, 10:32 am In case (a), there would be one dot on the detector screen. A single data point. With the other cases, there would be 27 or 282 respectively.
A claim that would be based on what, exactly? How would you be observing 1 versus 27 versus 282 particles to check how many dots they'd make on the detector screen?
Perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to convey. For one, how does one send 27 photons "in a single wave pattern" as opposed to not sending them that way?
That might be the only way that it's possible to send photons, at least given the apparatuses we have.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 5:05 pm
Atla wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm
Never heard that according to known physics, that's how photons work.
So the way we'd know that something is the case is by conforming to conventions?
I don't know how else to put it anymore, really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-photon_source
True philosophy points to the Moon
Atla

Post by Atla »

(hint: you don't need a conscious observer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h75DGO3GrF4
Or do you? :)

"Collapse" happens when which-path information is available. Even if say no one is looking at say the result of a double-slit experiment, and we store the result in an atom, and send the atom to the other end of the universe, the collapse will still happen because which-path information is available.

But what or "who" is keeping this classical universe classical in the first place, which-path information is available to what or to whom?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Atla wrote: February 4th, 2020, 1:44 pm Or do you? :)

"Collapse" happens when which-path information is available. Even if say no one is looking at say the result of a double-slit experiment, and we store the result in an atom, and send the atom to the other end of the universe, the collapse will still happen because which-path information is available.

But what or "who" is keeping this classical universe classical in the first place, which-path information is available to what or to whom?
I mean classical PART of the universe.
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: February 4th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 5:05 pm

So the way we'd know that something is the case is by conforming to conventions?

That doesn't answer the epistemological question I'm asking.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Atla wrote: February 4th, 2020, 1:35 pm

It did answer it. If we can emit single photons, then it's not true that we may only be able to emit groups of photons together.
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:08 pm

It did answer it. If we can emit single photons, then it's not true that we may only be able to emit groups of photons together.
A conditional wouldn't answer the question I'm asking.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Atla wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:13 pm
You know it wasn't a conditional.

Why don't you academics try to solve the Measurement problem instead?
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:24 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:20 pm

You wrote: " If we can emit single photons, then it's not true that we may only be able to emit groups of photons together. "

That's a conditional. Conditionals are "if...then" statements.

What I was asking can't be answered by a conditional. It can't be answered by an "if...then" statement. I'm asking how we know we're emitting single photons. Saying "If we're emitting single photons, then . . . " doesn't address how we know that we are emitting single photons.

Re the "measurement problem," that only arises via reifying mathematics--taking the mathematical equations we use to be telling us what the noumenal/objective world is like.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Atla wrote: February 4th, 2020, 2:24 pm

You wrote: " If we can emit single photons, then it's not true that we may only be able to emit groups of photons together. "

That's a conditional. Conditionals are "if...then" statements.

What I was asking can't be answered by a conditional. It can't be answered by an "if...then" statement. I'm asking how we know we're emitting single photons. Saying "If we're emitting single photons, then . . . " doesn't address how we know that we are emitting single photons.

Re the "measurement problem," that only arises via reifying mathematics--taking the mathematical equations we use to be telling us what the noumenal/objective world is like.
I linked how we know we're emitting single photons. You just won't look it up because it refutes your pet theory.

And by saying that the measurement problem only arises via reifying mathematics, you've lost your remaining credibility as well. It arises directly from experiment.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream