Help with falsifiability!

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Prof Bulani

Re: Help with falsifiability!

Post by Prof Bulani »

The question in my mind is this: does it matter if a hypothesis is worded in such a way that it is falsifiable instead of verifiable, for any practical purpose? From a scientific perspective, does the hypothesis "all swans are white" (falsifiable) change the testing methodology from the hypothesis "not all swans are white" (not falsifiable in a practical sense, but verifiable)? This seems to be much more of a semantic issue than a valuable distinction. In my view, either of these hypotheses would be testable in the same manner and answer the same question.
"The purpose of life is to survive and replicate" - Erik von Markovik
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Prof Bulani wrote:The question in my mind is this: does it matter if a hypothesis is worded in such a way that it is falsifiable instead of verifiable, for any practical purpose? From a scientific perspective, does the hypothesis "all swans are white" (falsifiable) change the testing methodology from the hypothesis "not all swans are white" (not falsifiable in a practical sense, but verifiable)? This seems to be much more of a semantic issue than a valuable distinction. In my view, either of these hypotheses would be testable in the same manner and answer the same question..
I agree. I've never seen the focus on falsifiability as a solution to the so-called Problem of Induction. Just a re-wording of the alleged problem.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: February 11th, 2020, 5:54 am
Pattern-chaser wrote:"It's still falsifiable"? So it counts if it can only be falsified in theory?
Yes, It can be falsified by finding a finite number of black swans. (One will do it.) But, as you said, it can only be verified by examining a potentially infinite number of swans.

I don't know what you mean by "counts".
Ooops! That's me, clarifying matters by ... muddying the waters. Sorry. 😊
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 3:26 am The question in my mind is this: does it matter if a hypothesis is worded in such a way that it is falsifiable instead of verifiable, for any practical purpose?
No, it doesn't. What matters is if it is falsifiable (or verifiable, I suppose?). What might matter more is if it is not falsifiable, and cannot be reworded to make it so. Some matters cannot be confirmed or denied. God's existence is one of them.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 12th, 2020, 5:47 am No, it doesn't. What matters is if it is falsifiable (or verifiable, I suppose?). What might matter more is if it is not falsifiable, and cannot be reworded to make it so. Some matters cannot be confirmed or denied. God's existence is one of them.
Although this is not the thread to go into this issue, God's existence is falsifiable. That is, either God exists, or God doesn't exist. One and only one must be true. And claiming that God cannot be defined (a claim that requires knowledge of God, like any other claim) doesn't make God unfalsifiable.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:54 am Although this is not the thread to go into this issue...
I think it's wholly appropriate to use God's existence here, but only as an example.

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:54 am God's existence is falsifiable. That is, either God exists, or God doesn't exist. One and only one must be true.
I think this is mistaken. If God's existence is falsifiable (and God does not actually exist), then there is a way to show that God's existence is false. That's what "falsifiable" means, isn't it? And there is no such way.

It is insufficient to assert that "one and only one must be true" if you can't demonstrate which one. Your 'truth' is valid and pointless.

God's existence is a great example of something that is not falsifiable by logical or scientific means.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Actually, it is easier to show that God's existence is false than to verify that God's existence is true, given any definition of God, and nothing else. Given any definition of God, it can be determined that it is either possible for God to exist per that definition, or that it is impossible for God to exist per that definition. Concluding that it is possible for God to exist per a particular definition doesn't necessarily means that God, per that definition, actually exists. But concluding that it is not possible for God to exist per a particular definition, necessarily means that God, per that definition, does not exist.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 10:15 am Given any definition of God, it can be determined that it is either possible for God to exist per that definition, or that it is impossible for God to exist per that definition.
How can it be determined? If God's existence is falsifiable, then there will be a way to show that God does not exist. What is this way, technique or process that you will use to show that God does not exist? For if God's existence is falsifiable, this way/process/technique does actually exist. That the promise of falsifiability. I'm not asking you to prove that God does not exist. But, since you have claimed that God's existence is falsifiable, I am asking you to describe the way/process/technique you would use to prove that God does not exist. For you have claimed that such a way exists. So reveal your secret, please?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Read the entire sentence, not just the part you highlighted. It answers your question.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 10:15 am by Prof Bulani » Today, 2:15 pm

Actually, it is easier to show that God's existence is false than to verify that God's existence is true, given any definition of God, and nothing else. Given any definition of God, it can be determined that it is either possible for God to exist per that definition, or that it is impossible for God to exist per that definition. Concluding that it is possible for God to exist per a particular definition doesn't necessarily means that God, per that definition, actually exists. But concluding that it is not possible for God to exist per a particular definition, necessarily means that God, per that definition, does not exist.
I think some definitions of God may be logically disprovable if the definition includes claims that are logically incoherent or metaphysically impossible. For example, we can ask whether an all-knowing and all-powerful God could invent a problem so difficult that He could not solve it. The definition seems logically contradictory. In these instances no appeal to empirical evidence seems necessary. The definition is incoherent.

If God is undefined, what sort of evidence could count against accepting His existence? There seems nothing to gainsay. Does not the claim of God’s existence need some actual content before we can evaluate it? If there is no content, what is being asked that is worth asking?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 11:08 am Read the entire sentence, not just the part you highlighted. It answers your question.
Sorry, I'm too stupid to see it. Perhaps you can show me?
Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 10:15 am Given any definition of God, it can be determined that it is either possible for God to exist per that definition, or that it is impossible for God to exist per that definition.
There's the whole sentence. I can see no description of how God's existence might be falsified, only an assertion that "it can be determined".
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Wossname wrote: February 12th, 2020, 11:18 am If God is undefined, what sort of evidence could count against accepting His existence? There seems nothing to gainsay. Does not the claim of God’s existence need some actual content before we can evaluate it? If there is no content, what is being asked that is worth asking?
You understand the point I'm making. My question is now: under what circumstances could God be possibly undefined, or more specifically, indefinable?
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 12th, 2020, 11:37 am
Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 11:08 am Read the entire sentence, not just the part you highlighted. It answers your question.
There's the whole sentence. I can see no description of how God's existence might be falsified, only an assertion that "it can be determined".
The word "definition" appears 3 times in the sentence. Given any definition of God, we can determine whether God, per that definition, can exist or not. The distinction between "we can determine whether God exists or not" may seem trivial from "we can determine whether God, per a particular definition, can exist or not", but it isn't.

Any statement containing the word "God" in it implies that there is a concept (definition) mapped on to that word. If the word has no concept it maps on to, statements cannot be communicated with that word in it.

You were the one who brought God into this discussion in the first place. When you mentioned the word God in your statement, was it your position that nobody, including yourself, had any inkling that a meaning was implicitly mapped on to the word? Was your sentence with the word God in it intended to be meaningless?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 12th, 2020, 11:37 am
Wait a minute! Prof Bulani, do you propose to show that X does not exist by inspecting X's definition? 🙄
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: February 12th, 2020, 12:16 pm Given any definition of God, we can determine whether God, per that definition, can exist or not.
Sorry, I wrote the previous post before I saw this one. 😳

I can't see how the existence of anything can be confirmed (or denied) by inspecting its definition. 😐
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream