At what point you're still you?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Alpha1
New Trial Member

At what point you're still you?

Post by Alpha1 »

Scenario 1: 1 half of your brain was transplanted to ROBOT A and the other half of your brain was transplanted to ROBOT B. Who are you then? Are they both you or you are the robot with the most identical thought processing, personality and memories with your human self? pls try scenario 2

Scenario 2: if you upload your consciousness in COMPUTER A and COMPUTER B copies your consciousness, disregarding the originality, who are you then? if you say both because they have the same datas then you are reproducible. If I reproduce another copy of those data would that be you? pls try scenario 3

Scenario 3: Supposed you had an accident affecting your body mostly and requires your brain to be transplanted to another synthetic body. You then wake up without memories of who you are and you're thought processing change and personality turn exactly opposite of who you are originally, is this still you? Except for your brain, everything in this synthetic body is new with regards in the set of data, information and hardware can we still call this synthetic person to be you?

At what point do we draw the line whether or not you're still you? are we all just streams of data and information and thought processing? if so, if we can make a human exactly like you in appearance and everything would that be you? what if we replace you with him, would you matter if you're just reproducible?
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re: At what point you're still you?

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Alpha1 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm Scenario 1: 1 half of your brain was transplanted to ROBOT A and the other half of your brain was transplanted to ROBOT B. Who are you then? Are they both you or you are the robot with the most identical thought processing, personality and memories with your human self? pls try scenario 2

Scenario 2: if you upload your consciousness in COMPUTER A and COMPUTER B copies your consciousness, disregarding the originality, who are you then? if you say both because they have the same datas then you are reproducible. If I reproduce another copy of those data would that be you? pls try scenario 3

Scenario 3: Supposed you had an accident affecting your body mostly and requires your brain to be transplanted to another synthetic body. You then wake up without memories of who you are and you're thought processing change and personality turn exactly opposite of who you are originally, is this still you? Except for your brain, everything in this synthetic body is new with regards in the set of data, information and hardware can we still call this synthetic person to be you?

At what point do we draw the line whether or not you're still you? are we all just streams of data and information and thought processing? if so, if we can make a human exactly like you in appearance and everything would that be you? what if we replace you with him, would you matter if you're just reproducible?
In scenario one, the robot with your left hemisphere is going to have lots of questions about the new body. The robot with your right hemisphere may have some questions, but will not be able to ask them.

In scenario two, there are two computer copies of you that are not you. They may think they are you, but they would be mistaken. The third copy is just another copy.

In scenario three, the accident has radically changed you, but it is still you.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

On my view, you're still you when your present state has a contiguous, casual connections to previous states, where changes occur a bit at a time and not via a big chunk all of a sudden.

At this, you're never literally identical from moment to moment.

So re suddenly having half your brain in one location and half in another, neither location would be anything like you were prior to that change--that's too much of a change too suddenly.

Re the computer, there's no reason at present to believe that the idea of that is coherent. Your consciousness is the properties of the materials that comprise brains, in the exact structure, with the exact dynamic relations of your particular brain. There's no reason to believe that different materials, in different structures, undergoing different processes would have anything similar to the same properties.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I'm always me. That's the problem. Try as I might, I can't get away from myself.

I also wish I could be elsewhere, but I'm always here.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Alpha1 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm by Alpha1 » Yesterday, 3:54 am

Such questions are intriguing and debates date back at least as far as that concerning the ship of Theseus. I think there is merit in all three of the answers above. I wonder if it is possible that the answers to questions about identity might depend on who is asking and who is answering them?

Can we argue that, barring some dissociative disorder, a self is always itself to itself? Asked if you are you, you reply of course, who else could I be? Who do you think you are asking if not me? At any rate, it is me who is answering. So from your own POV you are always you. If you ask “am I me?”, then the reply must be “who wants to know”?

But external observers might see matters differently. A small change, and you are still recognisably you. But you might be changed to such an extent that the external observer decides you are fundamentally different, and no longer the person they once knew. Clearly the point at which such a decision is made is not clear and depends on the observer’s judgement. You are always you to you, though you may understand that you are different to how you once were. “Am I me?” is not the same question as “am I still the same as I was?” (We never are).

In scenario 1, the two robots would be cognitively and behaviourally quite different. I tentatively suggest that each robot might consider itself a rather different and diminished version of who it used to be. Observers might agree with that assessment or they might consider each robot to be so different that you are no longer the same person in either incarnation, but it would, I think, be a matter of individual judgement.

In scenario 2 I agree with Marvin. A copy of you is just that.

Scenario 3 seems a bit tricky. Marvin suggests you are still you though changed beyond recognition. I confess I am not sure here. I think others are unlikely to agree that you are still you. You may look like a different person and you talk and behave like a different person, and if it walks like a duck etc.. Asked if you are you, you reply yes, but you do not recognise the person other people claim you once were. You are you, but you are not him/her. Without memories, you are effectively cast in the role of an observer regarding your former self, and that person is a stranger to you.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Alpha1 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm Scenario 1: 1 half of your brain was transplanted to ROBOT A and the other half of your brain was transplanted to ROBOT B. Who are you then? Are they both you or you are the robot with the most identical thought processing, personality and memories with your human self? pls try scenario 2
There is an surgical operation which divides the brain in two. I should look into the implications of that.

You can't copy the Mona Lisa with a blunt stick in the sand, and expect it to look the same.

If the transplant were possible (which it is not).. Why have you lost your memories? If those memories are lost, then the transplant aspect of the question adds nothing.
Lost of memories implies a lost of personhood.

It is not possible to make a totally identical copy, since it would occupy a different part of time/space. But if you want to think about this question you already have the example of identical twins. Twins start to differentiate in early gestation.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

At this point I'll be already dead and neither ROBOT A or B will be even close to taking up myself. So there will not be me anymore.
Alpha1 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm Scenario 2: if you upload your consciousness in COMPUTER A and COMPUTER B copies your consciousness, disregarding the originality, who are you then? if you say both because they have the same datas then you are reproducible. If I reproduce another copy of those data would that be you? pls try scenario 3
Consciousness is not a computer program, neither is the brain a computer. Neither of these are me, they are not even people.
Alpha1 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm Scenario 3: Supposed you had an accident affecting your body mostly and requires your brain to be transplanted to another synthetic body. You then wake up without memories of who you are and you're thought processing change and personality turn exactly opposite of who you are originally, is this still you? Except for your brain, everything in this synthetic body is new with regards in the set of data, information and hardware can we still call this synthetic person to be you?
A person is not his brain alone, is an organism. Can you have a synthetic body with synthetic nerve endings, synthetic neurotransmitters and so on? Nice for a sci-fi movie, but too unreal.
Alpha1 wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm At what point do we draw the line whether or not you're still you? are we all just streams of data and information and thought processing? if so, if we can make a human exactly like you in appearance and everything would that be you? what if we replace you with him, would you matter if you're just reproducible?
Organisms are not machines run by computer programs.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
The_architect

Post by The_architect »

In all scenarios you are you. Just because a part of you is missing or altered, you remain you. Sadly, bad things happen to people that changed them dramatically. Memories do get eradicated, body parts do get taken, brains do get destroyed.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

If these transplants were feasible, then I would say that twins had been created.

And each then would have become a new distinct conscious entity.

This is like mitosis, where cells split to form two new cells.

"You" would have ceased to exist, and two new unique "you's" would have been created in your stead.
Cassaya
New Trial Member

Post by Cassaya »

This is the old ship question.

As long you/your conciseness recognize yourself as yourself. You are you. At least that is it, what you would believe.

Each copy can and will develop independently because they will get exposed to different inputs and perspectives, therefore will evolve differently.
Jing or Jang

Post by Jing or Jang »

You are always "you":
You, the devout man of the cloth standing before me just as much as you were "you" when you shot that man in Reno just to watch him die.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream