Modern Science is quackery; here is why

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Modern Science is quackery; here is why

Post by Terrapin Station »

Steve3007 wrote: July 20th, 2020, 3:05 am
Palumboism wrote:That's how science works. When you see something that doesn't make sense, you come up with a hypothesis for the reason why. In this case calculations for many galaxies show they should fly apart based on the amount of matter they have. The math indicates dark matter should be there.
So, putting it more generally, we observe patterns in our observations. We use mathematics as the language to describe those patterns; like English but more precise and quantitative. That then helps us to extrapolate from those patterns and make predictions of future observations. In some cases, the predictions lead to the hypothesis that the best way to describe those future observations would be to propose the existence of some thing. In this case, that something is "dark matter", but in principle it could be anything.

The issue that some people seem to have with this process is that last part. There appears to be a view that jumping from patterns in observations to proposing the ontological existence of "things" whose proposed existence fits the patterns in the observations is going too far. It seems almost like a form of dualism - i.e. a fundamental separation into two parts - between ontology and utility; between what is and what is useful for predicting the results of experiments. In some ways ( but certainly not all ways) it reminds me of the disdain for experimentation that is often traced back to the likes of Pythagoras, and which led, for a thousand years or more (at least in Western Science/Natural Philosophy), to the view that if you want to understand the way that the world is, the one thing you don't do is look at it!
One of the core problems--maybe the single core problem--lies in what we take mathematics to be. If one is a mathematical platonist, and one tends to think that we've more or less correctly figured out "real" mathematics, then one is far ore likely to take mathematical manipulations that lead to predictive success to be telling us something about what the world is really like.

Similar comments go for physical law realism and the like.

Re instrumentalism, if we're taking our theories to be telling us what the world is really like, then we're no longer in the world of instrumentalism. Per the Wikipedia article on instrumentalism, for example (and there's a very extensive citation for this), "According to instrumentalists, a successful scientific theory reveals nothing known either true or false about nature's unobservable objects, properties or processes."
Terrapin Station

Oops I missed an "m" in "more" above lol
Faustus5

Post by Faustus5 »

Terrapin Station wrote: July 19th, 2020, 4:34 pm Obviously I hold it.
Call me confused--you believe energy somehow exists "on its own" ? You called that view nonsense in your first post of this thread!
Terrapin Station wrote: July 19th, 2020, 4:34 pmI explained this already. The mismatch is that what's really going on is something instrumentalist, but it's talked about in the guise of realist ontological commitments.
You may have thought you explained it sufficiently, but you didn't. I'm a fairly smart, educated guy--I know when an argument coheres and when it doesn't. I'll try to invent a charitable version of what you might be trying to say and you can correct me.

So instramentalism is to be understood as a pragmatic approach to doing science which de-emphasizes getting at "truth" or "the way reality is independent of us" and instead focuses on models just being useful tools for prediction. This, in opposition to realism, which I think is pretty obviously where most mainstream scientists sit, in some form or other. We good so far?

So what's really going on is that our current models fail to correctly predict what we are observing, but since most scientists are realists who project ontological reality from their models onto the universe, they imagine that some new forces and particles must exist to save their models and this is "nonsense" because if they were being wise they'd just invent new models which made the correct predictions and call it a day?

Is that a fair interpretation of what you are saying or at least in the ballpark?
Palumboism
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche

Post by Palumboism »

Steve3007 wrote: July 20th, 2020, 3:05 am So, putting it more generally, we observe patterns in our observations. We use mathematics as the language to describe those patterns; like English but more precise and quantitative. That then helps us to extrapolate from those patterns and make predictions of future observations. In some cases, the predictions lead to the hypothesis that the best way to describe those future observations would be to propose the existence of some thing. In this case, that something is "dark matter", but in principle it could be anything.
Math is used to describe the science, but it's also doing much more than that. In the case of Dark Matter, the math told us we were wrong about our understanding of the universe because there was a mathematical contradiction. It was not a small something we were missing, it was huge.

James Clerk Maxwell won the Adams Prize in 1859 for his essay "On the stability of the motion of Saturn's rings" using sixty pages of mathematics to prove what Saturn's rings were made of. This is a case where the math is doing more than describing something. It's proving something from millions of miles away. James Maxwell went on to develop some of the most important equations in science, the Maxwell equations.
Palumboism

Post by Palumboism »

Papus79 wrote: July 19th, 2020, 1:44 pm
It could be that we picked most of the low-hanging fruit with industrial application in the middle of the 20th century but I think we're getting close to needing a new framework in which to think about the Big Bang, quantum mechanics, etc.
Science can make discoveries thousands of years before any industrial application can be made of the discovery. Is there any current industrial application of Einstein's theory of relativity?

Why do we need a new framework to think about the Big Bang and Quantum Mechanics?
Terrapin Station

Faustus5 wrote: July 20th, 2020, 9:06 am
Terrapin Station wrote: July 19th, 2020, 4:34 pm Obviously I hold it.
Call me confused--you believe energy somehow exists "on its own" ? You called that view nonsense in your first post of this thread!
I must have gotten very confused somewhere. I thought you were asking about my view. You were asking about people believing that energy can exist on its own?

This is not an example from someone known to be a physicist, unfortunately, but for example, "Radio waves, light, and other forms of radiation all have energy, but do not need matter" is a clear instance of this from https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... out-matter

For examples from physicists, I'd have to quote a lot more, because we have to quote stuff about fields, too, as well as talk about spacetime as if it exists as something "on its own."
Terrapin Station

Here's an example from someone who has a physics background:

https://www.thoughtco.com/light-and-hea ... ter-608352
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Terrapin Station wrote: July 20th, 2020, 8:22 am
Steve3007 wrote: July 20th, 2020, 3:05 am

So, putting it more generally, we observe patterns in our observations. We use mathematics as the language to describe those patterns; like English but more precise and quantitative. That then helps us to extrapolate from those patterns and make predictions of future observations. In some cases, the predictions lead to the hypothesis that the best way to describe those future observations would be to propose the existence of some thing. In this case, that something is "dark matter", but in principle it could be anything.

The issue that some people seem to have with this process is that last part. There appears to be a view that jumping from patterns in observations to proposing the ontological existence of "things" whose proposed existence fits the patterns in the observations is going too far. It seems almost like a form of dualism - i.e. a fundamental separation into two parts - between ontology and utility; between what is and what is useful for predicting the results of experiments. In some ways ( but certainly not all ways) it reminds me of the disdain for experimentation that is often traced back to the likes of Pythagoras, and which led, for a thousand years or more (at least in Western Science/Natural Philosophy), to the view that if you want to understand the way that the world is, the one thing you don't do is look at it!
One of the core problems--maybe the single core problem--lies in what we take mathematics to be. If one is a mathematical platonist, and one tends to think that we've more or less correctly figured out "real" mathematics, then one is far ore likely to take mathematical manipulations that lead to predictive success to be telling us something about what the world is really like.

Similar comments go for physical law realism and the like.

Re instrumentalism, if we're taking our theories to be telling us what the world is really like, then we're no longer in the world of instrumentalism. Per the Wikipedia article on instrumentalism, for example (and there's a very extensive citation for this), "According to instrumentalists, a successful scientific theory reveals nothing known either true or false about nature's unobservable objects, properties or processes."
"According to instrumentalists, a successful scientific theory reveals nothing known either true or false about nature's unobservable objects, properties or processes"

I see no problem with this. Science is an attempt to describe in order that experiments are replicable, and repeatable. That is the basis of a working theory.
Since science describes, what it says cannot be the object of its decription but a set of meptaphors around and about things in themselves. Whilst we might get close to "truth", it is really of no consequence. The real question is, does it work? If not then your description is poor.
The history of science is littered with the shibboleths of monumental ideas that have all been dumped in the trash can. Monuments of understanding like "coldness", "geocentricity", "phlogistan", "the four humours" have been fetishized as over arching truths, protected knowledge that only hermentic organisations protect.
We are always in danger of continuing this folly on the periphery of scientifc specualtion, by scientists staking their careers on various favoured systems; Steady state, quantum entanglements, strings, dark matter. If these move from the realm of specualtion into the core of science they had better have a good empirical basis, but remain open for modification and/or rejection.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Terrapin Station wrote: July 20th, 2020, 12:24 pm Here's an example from someone who has a physics background:

It's a bit simplictic.
Types of "energy" are more diverse than his description allows, but only hints at.
The potential energy held in a pencil that could fall to the ground is not of the same order as light which, incidentally needs extension to exist, in contradiction to what he says. Heat can travel through, or exist in a solid object but causes expansion- need for space. Light cannot travel through a solid object and needs extension to express itself. I'll not list the different types of heat.
Sound requires matter, and is not present without it. thus also requiring space.
So boiling down energy as something that is not quite right and misleading to the children that read that sort of web page for the year 6 sats test.
Terrapin Station

Again, I wasn't complaining about instrumentalism. I was complaining about instrumental approaches accompanied by comments that aren't at all instrumentalist in flavor. So something where an instrumental approach is taken but then statements are made about what objects, processes, etc. in the world are really like, especially where that turns out to really just be an interpretation of the mathematical conventions that were employed for the instrumental approach.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Terrapin Station wrote: July 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm Again, I wasn't complaining about instrumentalism. I was complaining about instrumental approaches accompanied by comments that aren't at all instrumentalist in flavor. So something where an instrumental approach is taken but then statements are made about what objects, processes, etc. in the world are really like, especially where that turns out to really just be an interpretation of the mathematical conventions that were employed for the instrumental approach.
If this is directed to me. I was not taking you as complaining. I was just commenting on it.
I'd never used the jargon "instrumentalist" as such before, so was interested in the wiki entry.
Just seems reasonable, even wise to appraoch science like that, rather then have some high and mighty -"Look what I have uncovered about the fundemental truth of the universe"- that some scientists are lured to express to futher thier careers and to establish a place for themsleves in history.
Faustus5

Post by Faustus5 »

Terrapin Station wrote: July 20th, 2020, 12:24 pm Here's an example from someone who has a physics background:

I wonder why this person thinks the distinction is so important. I mean, all energy is still mediated by some sort of particle, correct? At least, that is what I've always been lead to believe. That means it doesn't magically exist "on its own".
Palumboism

Post by Palumboism »

Faustus5 wrote: July 21st, 2020, 8:02 am

I wonder why this person thinks the distinction is so important. I mean, all energy is still mediated by some sort of particle, correct? At least, that is what I've always been lead to believe. That means it doesn't magically exist "on its own".
That's not true at all. Electromagnetic radiation doesn't have a particle. Matter can be converted to energy by the formula E=MC^2.
Faustus5

Post by Faustus5 »

Palumboism wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:05 pm That's not true at all. Electromagnetic radiation doesn't have a particle.
That is an absolutely false statement, sorry. Have you never heard of electrons or photons?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Palumboism wrote:James Clerk Maxwell won the Adams Prize in 1859 for his essay "On the stability of the motion of Saturn's rings" using sixty pages of mathematics to prove what Saturn's rings were made of. This is a case where the math is doing more than describing something. It's proving something from millions of miles away.
The maths doesn't prove anything about the real world. It helps us to elucidate patterns in what is observed and allows us to ask what we'd expect to observe if those patterns continued. In that case, the patterns were Newton's laws of motion and gravitation. The things that Maxwell concluded about the nature of Saturn's rings were based on the notion that Newton's laws apply to Saturn's rings as they do to other things. The mathematics was the language in which he elucidated the consequences of that notion.
James Maxwell went on to develop some of the most important equations in science, the Maxwell equations.
Yes, Maxwell's equations were, I think, the most important achievement in theoretical physics of the 19th Century, bringing together decades of experimental findings by numerous experimental physicists (e.g. Faraday) in four simple equations. Among other things, it was a consideration of the implications of Maxwell's Equations in reference frames that are moving relative to each other which led to Einstein et al's Special Relativity.
Is there any current industrial application of Einstein's theory of relativity?
Yes. There are many. General Relativity is famously required for GPS systems and for plotting the trajectories of space probes. Special Relativity is intimately connected to the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It's what allows us to see electricity and magnetism as the same phenomenon (electromagnetism) viewed from different reference frames. And electromagnetism obviously has numerous industrial applications.
Electromagnetic radiation doesn't have a particle.
Imagine it's the end of the 19th Century. Maxwell's equations are superbly accurate and succinct mathematical descriptions of the phenomena of electricity and magnetism, united via the constant c. Newton's laws do something similarly powerful for the dynamics of moving bodies, including the action of gravity. But then along come such things as the ultraviolet catastrophe and the photoelectric effect.

Could you imagine an alternative history in which Max Planck didn't propose, as a working kludge to get around the ultraviolet catastrophe, the photon concept? Or, if he did, one in which the photon concept wasn't then promoted from a working kludge to a thing that exists in the world?

In general, when do we decide to promote working kludges to things that exist in the world? Some people (Idealists) don't do it at all. They see the entire idea of an extra-mental world, existing independently of our perceptions of it, as a working kludge! Others pick some particular thing and decide that just that type of thing is real, and the rest is a working kludge. What's you position on this?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream