How would literal materialism work? The Lego Hypothesis

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: How would literal materialism work? The Lego Hypothesis

Post by Steve3007 »

Gee wrote:My biggest problem with this idea is "Where is the plug?". When people argue that computers are conscious, I always remind them that computers use electricity to activate. So with materialism, if these Lego's are bouncing and floating and doing all sorts of things, then where do they get the energy? Is there a big plug that plugs in the universe? Or how does materialism work?
I guess you see energy as synonymous with electricity, eh?
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Steve3007 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:15 pm In the literally materialist world that I attempted to partially describe in the third paragraph of the OP, I stated that the only interactions between objects would have to be perfectly elastic, instantaneous (i.e. impulsive) collisions.
In my view conservation is a theoretical convention (and "potential energy" is an extension of that theoretical convention), not something that we can really know is the case. "Perfectly elastic interactions" assume conservation of energy. Remember that I'm not a realist on physical laws, by the way.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Steve3007 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:15 pm
In the literally materialist world that I attempted to partially describe in the third paragraph of the OP, I stated that the only interactions between objects would have to be perfectly elastic, instantaneous (i.e. impulsive) collisions. The reason I stated this was that this is the only way to preserve the idea that the only existent is matter and the properties of matter.
Properties do not belong to "matter" as such, but rather to the objects made of matter. The properties and behavior of objects is a function of their organization, rather than the atoms of which they are made. Atoms of oxygen and hydrogen behave differently than molecules of H2O.

Matter can be organized into three main classes: inanimate objects that behave passively to physical forces, living organisms that behave purposefully to survive, thrive, and reproduce, and intelligent species that can also behave deliberately, by reason and calculation.

So, we cannot find the properties of living organisms within the atoms of which they are made. We only find these properties in the organization of a life form.
Steve3007 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:15 pm So, does this mean that you regard the notion of a force existing (being real) as compatible with literal materialism because you regard forces as inalienable properties of matter, just as other properties like their relative motion are?
Literal materialism only needs to mean that all objects are made of the same underlying material. Since that material behaves differently according to how it is organized, all properties are derived from the nature of the organization.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: August 18th, 2020, 6:37 pm
Properties do not belong to "matter" as such, but rather to the objects made of matter. The properties and behavior of objects is a function of their organization, rather than the atoms of which they are made. Atoms of oxygen and hydrogen behave differently than molecules of H2O.
I'd say that properties "belong" to matter, but that matter in particular dynamic relations with other matter amounts to different properties than an elementary particle has in relative isolation.

The term "belong" is misleading I think. There's not a distinction between matter and properties, as if matter is more basic and then it gains properties. Matter/properties are the same thing, or it's two different ways of looking at the same thing. But the two are inseparable. And dynamic relations of matter and properties that uniquely obtain with the dynamic relations are inseparable, too.
Angel Trismegistus

Post by Angel Trismegistus »

Gertie wrote: August 17th, 2020, 2:07 pm Consciousness tho, isn't in any of these pictures. Isn't predicted by the 'rules' implied by these models. That's where materialism meets its match, for now at least.
Hear, hear.

The mind is not in the brain -- the brain is in the mind. Along with everything else in the so-called material world.
Terrapin Station

Angel Trismegistus wrote: August 19th, 2020, 2:37 am
Gertie wrote: August 17th, 2020, 2:07 pm Consciousness tho, isn't in any of these pictures. Isn't predicted by the 'rules' implied by these models. That's where materialism meets its match, for now at least.
Hear, hear.

The mind is not in the brain -- the brain is in the mind. Along with everything else in the so-called material world.
Mind is simply a subset of brain function.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Mind is what the brain creates. Where else is it supposed to come from?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Steve3007 wrote:...Any non-instantaneous collision between two objects requires the kinetic energy of those objects to be temporarily converted to potential energy during the collision process. There is a non-zero period of time during which their relative movement (their relative kinetic energy) reduces to zero and kinetic energy is converted to potential energy. In an instantaneous collision there isn't. So this is the only kind of interaction that literal materialism allows.
...and yet instantaneous/impulsive collisions (or any other instantaneous process) are abstract concepts. They don't exist in the real world for the same reason that dimensionless points don't exist in the real world. Therefore literal materialism, if it doesn't allow the real existence of fields and associated potential energy, appears to me to be self-contradictory.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote:Properties do not belong to "matter" as such, but rather to the objects made of matter. The properties and behavior of objects is a function of their organization, rather than the atoms of which they are made. Atoms of oxygen and hydrogen behave differently than molecules of H2O.
Yes. This is what is meant when it is stated that materialism is the view that the only existents are matter and things that supervene on matter. That is how the concept of "supervention" is used. It roughly means that a relatively complex physical system, such as the H2O in your example, can be more than simply the sum of its parts while still not physically consisting of anything other than its parts. At least that's my understanding of supervention in the context of materialism and physicalism.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote:The mind is not in the brain -- the brain is in the mind. Along with everything else in the so-called material world.
So you're an immaterialist idealist, like Berkeley? How's that going?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: August 20th, 2020, 6:23 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote:The mind is not in the brain -- the brain is in the mind. Along with everything else in the so-called material world.
So you're an immaterialist idealist, like Berkeley? How's that going?
LOL.
He lost his mind!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Jklint wrote: August 19th, 2020, 5:49 pm Mind is what the brain creates. Where else is it supposed to come from?
Yes, the mind is what the brain does. Like legs in motion creates walking or running, like water falling from the sky creates rain; the brain in action creates mind.
The mind is wholly dependant on the brain as is evident.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Hear, hear.

Heh. That's a bit bold for me.

Two separate issues there really - all we can know directly for certain is our mental experience. But materialism might still be true.

Then there's the issue that even if material stuff exists, we still don't have a handle on how it could explain mental experience. There are speculations - for example mental experience might be a novel emergent property of complex material processes which we find in brains. Or the monist notion that mental experience is physical brain processes.

But then again we might be living in a panpsychic world, or a dualist world, or an Idealist world, or something we haven't thought of. And nobody knows how to test such hypotheses.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Gertie wrote: August 20th, 2020, 6:37 am
Hear, hear.

Heh. That's a bit bold for me.

Two separate issues there really - all we can know directly for certain is our mental experience. But materialism might still be true.

Then there's the issue that even if material stuff exists, we still don't have a handle on how it could explain mental experience. There are speculations - for example mental experience might be a novel emergent property of complex material processes which we find in brains. Or the monist notion that mental experience is physical brain processes.

But then again we might be living in a panpsychic world, or a dualist world, or an Idealist world, or something we haven't thought of. And nobody knows how to test such hypotheses.
Nothing is going to "explain" the world of experience, ever. All we can do is describe it and show where it comes from. Why would you think otherwise?
Since we can only have our world of experience to understand our world of experience we are the photographed, the photo and the photographer. Its an endless cycle that it is impossible to break out of.
All we know right now, is that damage and changes to the brain make equal and compensurate changes to aspect of the mind, indivisibly. Physical forces, drugs traumas, all have their effects.
Describing these things in detail has given us amazing insights into the working of the brain/mind.
But like all science, it is fundementally descriptive.
Dualism is an outdated and empty theory, based on ancient notions of soul. It's not helpful.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Steve3007 wrote: August 20th, 2020, 6:06 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote:Properties do not belong to "matter" as such, but rather to the objects made of matter. The properties and behavior of objects is a function of their organization, rather than the atoms of which they are made. Atoms of oxygen and hydrogen behave differently than molecules of H2O.
Yes. This is what is meant when it is stated that materialism is the view that the only existents are matter and things that supervene on matter. That is how the concept of "supervention" is used. It roughly means that a relatively complex physical system, such as the H2O in your example, can be more than simply the sum of its parts while still not physically consisting of anything other than its parts. At least that's my understanding of supervention in the context of materialism and physicalism.
I think "emergence" is the concept you mean. New properties emerge in the organization that cannot be found in the parts.

Supervention seems, from what I've read, to be a rather technical term that applies to very specific circumstances. So, I avoid using the phrase "supervenes on", because those circumstances are too complex for my small mind.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream