Covid-19 highlights the pros and cons of mathematical models

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: Covid-19 highlights the pros and cons of mathematical models

Post by Steve3007 »

The fact that we disagree as to what herd immunity actually is, and how it works, means that I'm going to have to say no, we don't agree. Sorry.
RJG

Post by RJG »

So then you disagree with science? :shock:

The protective effect of herd immunity is an irrefutable scientific fact (as well as being an undeniable logical/mathematical truth).
RJG

Post by RJG »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/speeding-i ... 1641847062

Interesting article from Wall Street Journal.

Very interesting. And Yes, the masking and social distancing of our healthy population is the direct cause of the perpetuation (continued mutations) of this virus (and the resulting massive destruction of lives). Logic tells us this. Following Bad Science (science that disregards logic) is our downfall.

If we want to stop this virus, then healthy people need to unmask and fully socialize asap.

I am hoping that the swift spread of Omicron is a "gift from the heavens" to save us all from our stupidity of following the very Bad Science.

I am hoping people, especially healthy people, don't foolishly mask up and social distance during this Omicron wave. If they do, or the government mandates we do, then things will only get much worse.

Follow the Logic!
sofee18
New Trial Member

Post by sofee18 »

From 15-17 November 2021, the WHO Global Evidence-to-Policy (E2P) Summit convened experts in health, policy, and knowledge translation from across the world to determine the current state of evidence-informed decision-making, identify lessons learned at the evidence-policy-society interface during the pandemic, advance the institutionalization of evidence-informed decision-making, and strengthen multisectoral collaboration at country, regional and global levels. Science has always been key to ensure safe and effective health policies and for improving healthcare programmes. The global COVID-19 health crisis has revealed additional deficits and differences in countries’ capacity to generate and translate reliable evidence into tangible health policy, and clearly emphasized the need to institutionalize evidence-informed decision-making further. telemedicine history http:// curogram. com /blog/ history-of-telemedicine
The Summit was organized by the World Health Organization’s Evidence-informed Policy Network (EVIPNet), a global leader in empowering countries to put actionable evidence in the hands of users. With over a decade of successful knowledge translation initiatives in more than 50 countries, EVIPNet supports member countries in working towards safe and cost-effective health interventions through systematic use of the best-available evidence and participatory decision-making processes.More than 3200 people from 138 countries registered to participate in the Summit, and some 2’500 participants joined one or several sessions of the three-day virtual event. Amongst the keynote speakers were Dr Angela Merkel, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, Ban Ki-moon, former UN Secretary General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General, Dr Soumya Swaminathan, lead of WHO’s Science Division, Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Health Ministers from the WHO regions, as well as representatives of a wide circle of renowned national and international academic institutions, among them McMaster University, Canada, Agha Khan University, Pakistan, London School of Hygiene Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom, University Gadjah Mada, Indonesia, University of Hong Kong, Harvard Law School, United States of America, and London School of Economics, United Kingdom.
Roobaba

Post by Roobaba »

Being short on time and not being able to afford to needlessly waste my time going down 'blind alleys' and based on 'what I know of RTG' I will leave the critical examination of the cited Wall Street Journal article to others here more knowledgeable than me. I listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme Inside Health (for those in the UK) yesterday afternoon it was about the Omicron variant, discussing the latest scientific findings/data, it was very interesting and informative. Much of what we would like to know is still not known due to the data not yet being available. I have recently been updated on developments in Australia and New Zealand from a relation 'down under' in the antipodes.. we'll have wait and see how they get on following their approach to Covid-19. I would recommend watching Dr John Campbell on Youtube, I put my trust in him, not on unknown people (to me) on a PDC such as this one.
RJG

Post by RJG »

The UK has announced that they will be eliminating all covid masking and social distancing mandates. It seems that they have come to their senses that masking and social distancing only makes matters worse.

Now if only we Americans could also come to our senses, and realize the self-destruction we have and are causing with the bad science (science that disregards logic) of Dr. Fauci.

One of the great tradgedies of this covid era is the inability by many to recognize the tremendous life saving benefits of unmasked socialization.

We have been so brainwashed into separating and masking people, that we are blinded to the massive damage it causes.
Roobaba

Post by Roobaba »

RJG, I have to politely reply that I disagree. Based on 'the science', in view of the current situation with regard to the strain/overload of the healthcare systems in the UK and USA, it's too early to lift restrictions.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Hi Roobaba,

1. What is the ONLY thing that all legitimate scientists and medical experts agree on that stops the continuous perpetuation (mutations) of this virus?
Answer: herd immunity.

2. What is herd immunity?
Answer: Herd immunity is when immune people surround vulnerable people to prevent the transmission of the virus from infecting the vulnerable population. If enough immune people "participate" in achieving herd immunity, this will effectively eradicate the virus (and its future mutations).

3. How does one "participate" in herd immunity?
Answer: firstly one must be immune (healthy and preferably vaccinated). Secondly, they must socialize unmasked around vulnerable people. Refer to the Mosquito Analogy (in the General Philosophy section) to understand the mechanics of the tremendous life saving benefits of unmasked socialization.

4. What is the role of 'vaccination' in achieving herd immunity protection?
Answer: vaccination gives us immune people. Immune people that "participate" in achieving herd immunity give us herd immunity protection.

So now Roobaba, Sound Science tells us that masking and social distancing of our healthy vaccinated people prevent us from achieving herd immunity protection.

If herd immunity is the ONLY way to stop this virus, then why are we listening to the Bad Science that advises immune people to continue to mask up and social distance?

Science that advises against herd immunity is Bad Science, as it is encouraging more deaths and more mutations (which potentially could be more contagious/deadly).

Science that tells us that massive people will die or get sick if we implement herd immunity, is Bad Science. Herd immunity provides 'protection' (not 'death') to vulnerable people!

If herd immunity is the ONLY way to stop this virus, then what are we waiting for? ...more deaths and mutations???

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream