Is strong emergentism a valid view ? And can special sciences have their own laws independent of physics ?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
NickGaspar
Favorite Philosopher: Many

Re: Is strong emergentism a valid view ? And can special sciences have their own laws independent of physics ?

Post by NickGaspar »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:35 pm
NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:17 pm You are asking answers for "why something feels the way it does" useless questions, when the real question is how the brain does what it does.

The ᴡᴀʏ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄɪᴇɴᴄɪsᴛ tells us that a question that cannot be addressed or answered by science is not a question worth answering. That question should correctly and justifiably be dismissed.

As there are questions that I consider worthwhile, that science cannot address, I refute this piece of propagandist nonsense. One cannot, in my view, reasonably discount or dismiss questions just because our favourite tool is inappropriate to them. To simply say that a question is trivial, or useless, or some other silly insult, is to avoid/evade the question, and its answer.
You shouldn't. Try answering the "why" questions fired from a child and you will understand why ...."Why" teleological questions are useless when we are trying to understands Nature.

Why questions are only relevant in Social Sciences and Philosophy on values when we deal with thinking agents who express intention and purpose in their behavior.
Sure I can see the colloquial role of a question like "Why is the sky blue", but the answer we give is about "how the sky gets to appear blue in our eyes/brain".

Think about it for a moment before you dismiss that bring your feedback.
NickGaspar

Re: Is strong emergentism a valid view ? And can special sciences have their own laws independent of physics ?

Post by NickGaspar »

Atla wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:24 pm
NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:16 pm
Atla wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:36 pm
NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:24 pm
Unfortunately, this is Atla game! His 3 main tools are:
1. Strawmannning /the distortion of your position
2. ad hominems
3. Tap dancing/avoiding answering a direct question.

I had a discussion with Steve about him and he thought I was wrong about him. Well he is proving me right with every comment he posts I guess.
You merely threw a tantrum after I pointed out that you made up that paradigm of science.
So you are going to use an ad hominem just because you can not find a single example to support your claim?(not surprised).
I am sorry to hear that you are ignorant of the basic Scientific Paradigm..which happens to be our metric for distinguishing Natural from Supernatural claims.
Again in quantum scale we ONLY observe kinetic properties performed by particles. No matter how weird they might appear to us, (quantum tunneling,entaglement,superposition etc etc) all those phenomena are created by MOVING, Spinning, Charged particles,.
So next time try to include an example of a non kinetic property performed by A particle...with your ad hominem.
You're basically saying: "by examining single particles, we can't find whole brains, therefore brains aren't made of particles".

Well I don't think that your view is a current paradigm of science.
lol. No and you know that I am not saying that Atla

If you are not on purpose strawmanning my point, then you don't know that a brain is not a property but a biological structure!!!

I am saying that mind properties(consciousness, reason, intelligence,memory, etc), biological properties(digestion, mitosis, photosynthesis, etc), Chemical properties (combustion,flammability, toxicity, acidity, reactivity etc.) are not observable in the quantum scale and not properties displayed by particles. In order to observe such properties you will need molecular structures....
When one claims that any of those properties can exist independent of structured molecules, he is making a supernatural claim.
Lets see your next strawman...
Atla

Post by Atla »

NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:34 pm
Atla wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:36 pm
You merely threw a tantrum after I pointed out that you made up that paradigm of science.
So you are going to use an ad hominem just because you can not find a single example to support your claim?(not surprised).
I am sorry to hear that you are ignorant of the basic Scientific Paradigm..which happens to be our metric for distinguishing Natural from Supernatural claims.
Again in quantum scale we ONLY observe kinetic properties performed by particles. No matter how weird they might appear to us, (quantum tunneling,entaglement,superposition etc etc) all those phenomena are created by MOVING, Spinning, Charged particles,.
So next time try to include an example of a non kinetic property performed by A particle...with your ad hominem.
You're basically saying: "by examining single particles, we can't find whole brains, therefore brains aren't made of particles".

If you are not on purpose strawmanning my point, then you don't know that a brain is not a property but a biological structure!!!

I am saying that mind properties(consciousness, reason, intelligence,memory, etc), biological properties(digestion, mitosis, photosynthesis, etc), Chemical properties (combustion,flammability, toxicity, acidity, reactivity etc.) are not observable in the quantum scale and not properties displayed by particles. In order to observe such properties you will need molecular structures....
When one claims that any of those properties can exist independent of structured molecules, he is making a supernatural claim.
Same nonsense about scale. There is no known reason why we should think that all those more complex things can't be in superposition.
True philosophy points to the Moon
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Atla wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Same nonsense about scale. There is no known reason why we should think that all those more complex things can't be in superposition.
-"There is no known reason why we should think that all those more complex things can't be in superposition."
-superposition?...complex things? Do you even understand what you wrote there lol.
Atla

Post by Atla »

NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:15 pm

-"There is no known reason why we should think that all those more complex things can't be in superposition."
-superposition?...complex things? Do you even understand what you wrote there lol.
Or display other quantum behaviour. Whatever, dividing the world into the micro world of bizarre quantum behaviour and the macro world of familiar classical behaviour was a Copenhagen trick to contain the "weirdness" and sweep it under the rug, concentrate on practical results without having to worry about broader implications. But fyi, more complex phenomena like human consciousness, reason, intelligence, memory, digestion, mitosis, photosynthesis etc. are just more of your "quantum particles" bunched together, some of them behaving like classical particles. We don't get complex "properties" by looking at a single particle, but if we look at enough particles and also consider how they relate to each other and everything else, we get to those more complex phenomena. This should be fairly obvious.

So scale is no fundamental factor. Viewing reality in terms of fundamentally different scales is of course very simple and straighforward, but it's just lazy thinking and gives a false picture.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Atla wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Or display other quantum behaviour. Whatever, dividing the world into the micro world of bizarre quantum behaviour and the macro world of familiar classical behaviour was a Copenhagen trick to contain the "weirdness" and sweep it under the rug, concentrate on practical results without having to worry about broader implications. But fyi, more complex phenomena like human consciousness, reason, intelligence, memory, digestion, mitosis, photosynthesis etc. are just more of your "quantum particles" bunched together, some of them behaving like classical particles. We don't get complex "properties" by looking at a single particle, but if we look at enough particles and also consider how they relate to each other and everything else, we get to those more complex phenomena. This should be fairly obvious.

So scale is no fundamental factor. Viewing reality in terms of fundamentally different scales is of course very simple and straighforward, but it's just lazy thinking and gives a false picture.
Nice argument from salad bar.
Now I am still waiting for your example on a verified observation of a mental, chemical or biological property being expressed by single particles(supernatural claim).
Atla

Post by Atla »

NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Now I am still waiting for your example on a verified observation of a mental, chemical or biological property being expressed by single particles(supernatural claim).
So because you lost the argument (again), you're asking me for evidence for a nonsense claim that I never made.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Nick
Gertie wrote: ↑
Yesterday, 3:10 pm

To explain where I'm coming from, my own area of interest here is conscious experience, philosophy of mind. Unfortunately my knowledge of science is laughable, so what I want is to get to the 'in principle' possible explanations for 'what it is like' phenomenological conscious experience. Here I'm trying to establish whether physicalism (which I believe to be essentially reductionist to particles and forces) or other scientific approaches have a way of explaining conscious experience (the 'what it is like' qualiative nature of consciousness).
-If you admit that you are unaware of the science on the field of Cognitive Science and Neuroscience that is a huge problem.
How can you ever expect to do meaningful Philosophy on the mind when you are unaware of our latest epistemology? Are you just reproducing Kastrup's, Chalmer's,Hammerof's, Hoffman's, Chopra's pseudo philosophical ideas or are you interested in what science "knows" about the brain?
I believe I can 'do meaningful philosophy' of mind by using as a basis what the people who study the brain tell us about it, just like you. And as far as I'm aware, this amounts to noting mind-body correlations, in ever greater detail. If you have evidence of neuroscience providing an explanation for the mind-body problem, a bridging mechanism or somesuch which doesn't boil down to 'when the brain does X a person experiences Y', give me the link, and I'll notify the Nobel Prize committee.
So my question is does complexity science or any other science offer a possible in principle explanation for that?
-Sure, we have a huge list of competing frameworks on how the brain does what it does. Here is a crash "course" on our current scientific material.
Great podcast, presents all competing ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGwOfSKmo_I
I didn't ask how the brain does what it does, I asked for a scientific explanation for why what the brain does correlates with experiential states. This is a straightforward question. If you don't have an answer, if current science doesn't have an answer, just say so. Then we have a shared starting place to to explore what that might mean, which is philosophy of mind territory.

If you think the question itself is somehow absurd or irrelevant, can you specify why?
OK. If you hypothetically agree -

That novel emergent properties in more complex systems are still reducible, and therefore in principle deducible and predictable, in terms of the physicalist model of what the universe is made of and how it works

Then -

That physicalist model (currently) has no place for conscious experience as fundamental stuff, and no apparent in principle way of predicting it as an emergent property reducible to the fundamental stuff the universe is made of, and the forces which act upon that stuff resulting in emergent properties.
That is a huge argument from personal incredulity fallacy plus a strawman. Science doesn't use "physicalist models" whatever that means.

To clarify - I mean what physics tells us using the scientific method about about the universe, what it's made of and the forces which result in processes. Would you be happier if I used the Materialist Model? So how about a serious response.
Science has verified BEYOND Strong Correlations(even if they are sufficient)the Causal role our brain has in producing all our mental states.
That's a big claim. OK, lets break it down. First what do you mean by ''causing'' and ''producing'' here? That mental experience is not actual brain processes themselves, but a different kind of thing created by brain processes? Or that mental experience simply is brainstuff (eg 'pain IS the firing of C fibres), or an emergent property of brainstuff in motion, or... ? (These are the sort of questions an actual explanation would answer, using physics, QM or some other model).

And how has whichever claim you're referring to been proven beyond noting that when physical brains perform particular processes, particular mental states manifest? Link please.

It seems to me these are the two options available to the physicalist model - stuff and its properties are either fundamental (irreducible) or reducible/emergent. If neither of these options account for conscious experience, then the physicalist scientific model is flawed or incomplete. (The philosophers of mind in the piece on the explanatory gap I quoted think this is the case, and are offering alternatives, a perfectly respectable position).
-The Scientific (not physicalistic) models are Necessary and Sufficient to describe the mental states of our brain. We can produce diagnostics, predictions,surgery and medical protocols. We even can decode complex conscious thoughts by just reading fMRI scans! We have identified the part of the brain responsible for our conscious states and the networks that during those states enables connectivity with the rest of our brain modules responsible for symbolic language, reason, memory and previous experience etc etc, allowing our conscious states to enjoy meaningful content!

Sure. This isn't contoversial, except the term 'responsible for' would be better replaced by 'correlated with' pending an explanation of the relationship between the physical and mental. We know there is a mind-body relationship whereby specific physical brain states correlate with specific mental states. So clearly brain processes possess the necessary and sufficient conditions for mental states to manifest.

We also assume this isn't the case with a computer or a toaster or a rock. But we can only make that assumption because their behaviour doesn't look conscious to us. It's assumption based on analogy to known conscious beings with particular behavioural features and them not having an organic brain which we know has the necessary and sufficient conditions.

It can only be an assumption based on analogy/similarity because we don't know what those necessary and sufficient conditions are. And we don't know what the necessary and sufficient conditions are because we don't have an explanation for why physical brain processes correlate with mental experience.

See the problem? If we had a scientific explanation for the mind-body relationship we would know the necessary and sufficient conditions, be able to predict mental experience arising as a result of certain brain processes in humans, chimps and mice, but not computers or rocks. We'd be able to build a consciousness-o-meter to detect the necessary and sufficient conditions in lieu of our inability to detect mental experience, for example to see if some sophisticated AI has mental experience rather than relying on them convince us by passing a Turing test displaying behavioural similarity. But we don't have that kind of explanation.
If you agree, then we can look at whether complexity theory or other scientific paradigms can account for conscious experience as an emergent property. If you don't agree, where do you think I've gone wrong?
-Sure,but this is really old, scientifically uninformed philosophy that you are pushing here Gertie. You are asking answers for "why something feels the way it does" useless questions, when the real question is how the brain does what it does.

No. That's just hand-waving.

How the brain does what it does is an in principle answerable question within current materialist scientific paradigms, no problem. The legitimate question remains - if a materialist model of the world which is what the scientific method arrives at (the standard model of particles and forces) can't/doesn't address mental experience, what other scientific approach does? That's really my question to you, and you dodge it.

If you don't believe it's a legitimate question - specifically why not? Presumably you don't believe that noting the correlation between turning the truck engine on and it moving is a scientific explanation of why the truck moves. There is a whole materialist explanatory paradigm underlying that. I'm similarly asking you what you believe the scientific explanation is for the mind-body correlation.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Gertie wrote:To explain where I'm coming from, my own area of interest here is conscious experience, philosophy of mind. Unfortunately my knowledge of science is laughable, so what I want is to get to the 'in principle' possible explanations for 'what it is like' phenomenological conscious experience. Here I'm trying to establish whether physicalism (which I believe to be essentially reductionist to particles and forces) or other scientific approaches have a way of explaining conscious experience (the 'what it is like' qualiative nature of consciousness).

So my question is does complexity science or any other science offer a possible in principle explanation for that?
It would partly depend on what you regard as an explanation; what you think it means to explain something.

If (as it seems reasonable to suppose) our brains are made from elementary particles - the same ones that non-conscious things are made from - then it should in principle be possible to put those elementary particles together to make a conscious brain. Of course, we can do that already. We have sex and then wait nine months. But it should be possible to to it manually, so to speak, too. If that were possible, and if it were successful, and the result was a brain showing all the signs of being conscious, would you regard that as having provided an explanation?

A step further: Suppose, for the sake of argument, that the behaviours and interactions of those elementary particles are accurately described by physical laws that can be expressed as mathematical equations. Suppose we can therefore plug those mathematical equations into a computer and accurately simulate the behaviours and interactions of elementary particles. Suppose there was a computer powerful enough to do that for as many elementary particles as there are in our brains. Suppose we did that and the result was a simulated brain showing all the signs of being conscious. (A lot of "supposes"!) Would you regard that as having provided an explanation?

If you didn't regard either of the above as an explanation, would you need to be able to understand, all at once, how those elementary particles (or simulated elementary particles) are interacting to result in consciousness? If so, I don't think that version of explanation will ever happen. I know from personal experience that even for much, much simpler tasks it's possible to create an entirely deterministic computer simulation and not be able to predict in advance what it's going to do. One of the defining features of neural network simulations in computers is that we don't explicitly program them to carry out a specific task with a list of instructions that map directly to that task. Even though we know how we programmed their individual building blocks, it can still be impossible to predict in advance how they're going to behave.

So it may be possible to demonstrate, beyond reasonable doubt, that the human brain is indeed made from lots and lots of particles whose behaviours and interactions can be described by laws that can be expressed as mathematical equations. But that's not the same as intuitively understanding, all in one go, how those behaviours and interactions are giving rise to consciousness, simply because the system is too complex.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Atla wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:13 pm
NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:07 pm

So because you lost the argument (again), you're asking me for evidence for a nonsense claim that I never made.
Still waiting from you to provide evidence for your "superposition" thing...
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Gertie wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:27 pm

I believe I can 'do meaningful philosophy' of mind by using as a basis what the people who study the brain tell us about it, just like you.
- That is really good to know! So what is your opinion about your philosophy when you yourself stated that your "knowledge of science is laughable"?
And as far as I'm aware, this amounts to noting mind-body correlations, in ever greater detail. If you have evidence of neuroscience providing an explanation for the mind-body problem, a bridging mechanism or somesuch which doesn't boil down to 'when the brain does X a person experiences Y', give me the link, and I'll notify the Nobel Prize committee.
-First of all we will never have a Nobel Prize awarded for the "mind-body proplem. Science doesn't address problems-product of 17th century bad philosophy based on fallacious reasoning(argument from ignorance and poisoning the well, teleology).
Neuroscience provides evidence well above Strong Correlations on how the brain achieves those mental states. By understanding how the brain does it, we understand that the mind-body problem was nothing more than an "intuition pump".
You may reject the "when the brain does X a person experiences Y" but the fact is that if our brain doesn't interact with our environment during our childhood and doesn't do X no one would be able to experience Y.
Its also a fact that if we tamper brain's X (or pathology does that for us) we observe a person experiencing Z(not Y). So a brain is a Necessary and Sufficient condition for Y to be experienced...but not only that, we can even predict,intervene and correct a Z experience by fixing X thus reestablishing Y! This is an important aspect of our epistemology on the subject.
Your argument resembles every supernatural claim that ignores documented and verified Causal Mechanisms and tries to keep the magic by assuming additional ontological causality beyond our observations on the basis of "this doesn't looks sufficient to me".
i.e. Its like a theist who accept evolution but keeps asserting god's role behind the observable phenomenon. Its like asserting the existence of a "Ghost mold" responsible for the shape of a liquid in a cup, just because "shapeablity doesn't sound like a property matter can display.
-"I didn't ask how the brain does what it does, I asked for a scientific explanation for why what the brain does correlates with experiential states. This is a straightforward question. If you don't have an answer, if current science doesn't have an answer, just say so. Then we have a shared starting place to to explore what that might mean, which is philosophy of mind territory. "
-Well "why'' teleological questions are not serious philosophical or scientific questions , at least when they do not address intention and purpose in a thinking agent's behavior. We are talking about Nature and how a biological structure produces such properties. The "why" question is irrelevant on this "problem".Things in nature happen without teleology in mind.
The electron produces photons without a "why", our brain interprets the energy carried by different wavelengths of light as different colors without a "why" , the water has strange properties in all three states without a why etc etc.
I don't know WHY people in 2021 still use teleology to create mysteries!
What is important is that we have established STrong Correlations between an environmental or organic stimuli and the produced brain function.
The Scientific Literature and evidence are overwhelming. They are way too Sufficient that allow us to have Technical Applications in Medicine.
As Anil Seth argues in the following essay, Philosophers and Scientists might have made consciousness far more mysterious than it needs to be, by distracting people with those "why" questions.
https://aeon.co/essays/the-hard-problem ... e-real-one

-"To clarify - I mean what physics tells us using the scientific method about about the universe, what it's made of and the forces which result in processes. Would you be happier if I used the Materialist Model? So how about a serious response."
-I am not sure that you understand the differences between Metaphysical Worldviews like Philosophical Naturalism,Materialism, Physicalism and the Epistemic Acknowledgement of Methodological Naturalism that is used in Science!
Science DOESN'T accept materialistic or physicalistic assumptions in its frameworks! It acknowledges that our Methods have limits in evaluating, observing and testing the World, IF of course our goal still is to produce Objective Descriptive Frameworks! Those limits confine our frameworks within the naturalistic realm either we like it or not (Pragmatic Necessity)
Science doesn't say that non materialistic or non naturalistic are wrong! It only studies the phenomenon within the realm it manifests and evaluates if the observable natural mechanisms are necessary and sufficient to account for the phenomenon. In the case of the Mind, the observed brain functions are not only necessary and sufficient, they even enable us to produce Technical Applications, Diagnostics and Predictions (Instrumental value!).
Sure maybe a transcendent realm could be the source of those states, but none of our observations render this assumption necessary or sufficient and "why" questions are not a good excuse to introduce them in to our Philosophy.
-"That's a big claim. OK, lets break it down."
-Sure it is. Its as big as our groundbreaking foundings on how the brain achieves all those different states.
First what do you mean by ''causing'' and ''producing'' here? That mental experience is not actual brain processes themselves, but a different kind of thing created by brain processes?
-All mental experiences, conscious or unconscious are the product of brain function like hardness is the product of the molecular structure of a granite even if we will never find hardness in an individual atom or molecule of the rock. Its our brains interacting with numerous stimuli per second, one of them reaching a crucial threshold by arousing our Central Lateral Thalamus beyond "return".... resulting to a conscious experience.
So Mental Experiences are not "things". They are processes occurred by the continues interaction of our brain functions with our organic and environmental stimuli.
Or that mental experience simply is brainstuff (eg 'pain IS the firing of C fibres), or an emergent property of brainstuff in motion, or... ? (These are the sort of questions an actual explanation would answer, using physics, QM or some other model).
-Mental experiences are the product of brain functions. Metabolic molecules provide the energy to different modules of the brain where a giant complex network connects the stimuli, the area responsible for awareness and the rest brain modules responsible for reason,memory/past experiences,pattern recognition, prediction, symbolic language etc providing the Mental conscious experiences with "Content".

And how has whichever claim you're referring to been proven beyond noting that when physical brains perform particular processes, particular mental states manifest? Link please. "
Well a simple example is the technology (from 2017). By observing the brain function of individuals through fMRI scans , we can accurately (~85% more than ...a married couple lol) decode their complex conscious thoughts. The patterns emerging in those brains display Empirical Regularity and External limitations in relation to the stimuli or the produced thought.
https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news- ... ughts.html

But that is just one example out of thousands of studies that establish Strong Correlations between brain mechanisms and mental properties.
Just search "how the brain does" in the large database of studies (https://neurosciencenews.com/) and you will be flooded with an overwhelming number of results on how the brain achieves many of the properties of the mind.
-"Sure. This isn't contoversial, except the term 'responsible for' would be better replaced by 'correlated with' pending an explanation of the relationship between the physical and mental. We know there is a mind-body relationship whereby specific physical brain states correlate with specific mental states. So clearly brain processes possess the necessary and sufficient conditions for mental states to manifest. "
-Sure, Correlations are the ultimate evaluation we can have in explaining causality. Science establish Strong correlations and goes beyond them when we establish the Sufficiency and the Necessity of a mechanism in relation to the manifestation of a phenomenon.
As a great Frenchmen allegedly responded to Napoleon. "There is no need for such a hypothesis" specially when the current framework address all our questions...(except "why" questions). So "correlations" is the way to go and the moment to assume external agency is only if it is detected or verified.

We can not exclude anything, but it is irrational and useless to waste time in assuming additional insufficient sources since we can not remove the brain from the equation.
-"We also assume this isn't the case with a computer or a toaster or a rock. But we can only make that assumption because their behaviour doesn't look conscious to us. It's assumption based on analogy to known conscious beings with particular behavioural features and them not having an organic brain which we know has the necessary and sufficient conditions."
-No, science goes deeper than behaviour. It can investigate the mechanisms for their capability to be aroused by external stimuli (be aware of their environment) and even compare them with known mechanism that are known to be responsible for establishing conscious states. So its not just an assumption. Its an evidence based conclusion on the highest of standards. If a physical structure, is unable to receive, process and react to external or internal stimuli or doesn't have some kind of homeostasis that could drive its emotions(be aware of self),and a processing unit that could reason those emotions in to feelings and meaning then it is nonsensical to talk about conscious computers and toasters. This is our current knowledge and our Null Hypothesis and Default position should be defined by it.
-"It can only be an assumption based on analogy/similarity because we don't know what those necessary and sufficient conditions are. And we don't know what the necessary and sufficient conditions are because we don't have an explanation for why physical brain processes correlate with mental experience."
-Of course we know. Philosophy might ignore them but in science we understand the necessary conditions for an entity to be conscious and the brain and behavior(a processing unit that manages and processes environmental and organic stimuli) are the conditions to beat.
Now,asking "Why" the physical brain processes correlate with mental experiences is like the "why" questions made by 5 year olds. "why the kitten drinks milk-because it is hungry- why the kitten is hungry- Because it is growing- Why the kitten is growing etc etc". Eventually this barrage of why questions ends to a nonsensical answerable question, because it isn't a why question in the first place. This is where Philosophy of mind has being with this why question.
The serious question is HOW the brain does it and we are working on connecting the dots of this "mystery" .
-"See the problem? If we had a scientific explanation for the mind-body relationship we would know the necessary and sufficient conditions, be able to predict mental experience arising as a result of certain brain processes in humans, chimps and mice, but not computers or rocks."
-We have an explanation or better a description on how the brain produces mind properties, but that explanation has nothing to do with that "why" question. Well we are able to predict mental experiences....its this thing called Marketing for example. People have been making money by predicting other people's mental experiences. We have drugs and diagnostics that find the problem and address problems in our mental experiences.We produce painkillers and sleeping pills and antidepressants and we prescribe them based on the symptoms.
The facts of reality doesn't support your statements.
-"We'd be able to build a consciousness-o-meter to detect the necessary and sufficient conditions in lieu of our inability to detect mental experience, for example to see if some sophisticated AI has mental experience rather than relying on them convince us by passing a Turing test displaying behavioural similarity. But we don't have that kind of explanation."
-The links I provided show that we are in a good position in detecting and decoding peoples conscious experiences. Here are two more recent breakthroughs on the area responsible for our conscious states.
https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/tiny- ... sciousness
https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/neuro ... -explained
-"How the brain does what it does is an in principle answerable question within current materialist scientific paradigms, no problem. The legitimate question remains - if a materialist model of the world which is what the scientific method arrives at (the standard model of particles and forces) can't/doesn't address mental experience, what other scientific approach does? That's really my question to you, and you dodge it."
-This is a subject you should discuss with materialists. Science doesn't do metaphysical worldviews. Science studies natural mechanisms and establishes strong correlations(necessity and sufficiency) between the mechanism and phenomena.(as I already explained).

NOW Standard models and particles and forces have nothing to do with a BIOLOGICAL PHENOMENON. Consciousness is an emergent property of the brain...not of particles and forces.
You need to study biological systems in order to understand how conscious states are achieved by the brain. Particles are unable to display far less advanced properties (like liquidity,hardness,wetness,toxicity, elasticity, combustion etc) so searching for answers in particles or forces is unscientific.
This is the problem of a epistemically isolated Philosophy. The questions made are not even wrong or relevant. They are nonsensical.
-"If you don't believe it's a legitimate question - specifically why not? Presumably you don't believe that noting the correlation between turning the truck engine on and it moving is a scientific explanation of why the truck moves. There is a whole materialist explanatory paradigm underlying that. I'm similarly asking you what you believe the scientific explanation is for the mind-body correlation."
-I think I already addressed the problem of "why" teleological questions when we address natural phenomena, (not behavior.)
Science offers naturalistic explanations, not because it accepts the indefensible materalistic worldview, but because the brain is all we can observe and study. We start from the brain and we try to find out if the mechanisms of the system are necessary and sufficient to explain the phenomenon.
So its Pragmatic Necessity that limits us to Naturalistic frameworks since we can test and falsify them by observing the brain.
We can not start by assuming a source beyond the realm we are able to investigate and we can not assume an additional realm a. without objective evidence and b. without a real need since our observations render the brain sufficient and necessary to explain our mental properties.
Making up a "why" teleological question is not proper philosophy and not enough to allow invisible realms in our frameworks.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:25 pm
NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:17 pm You are asking answers for "why something feels the way it does" useless questions, when the real question is how the brain does what it does.

The ᴡᴀʏ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄɪᴇɴᴄɪsᴛ tells us that a question that cannot be addressed or answered by science is not a question worth answering. That question should correctly and justifiably be dismissed.

As there are questions that I consider worthwhile, that science cannot address, I refute this piece of propagandist nonsense. One cannot, in my view, reasonably discount or dismiss questions just because our favourite tool is inappropriate to them. To simply say that a question is trivial, or useless, or some other silly insult, is to avoid/evade the question, and its answer.
You shouldn't. Try answering the "why" questions fired from a child and you will understand why ...."Why" teleological questions are useless when we are trying to understands Nature.

So you dismiss the question as "useless", as I describe. "Why" questions can sometimes be diffficult to answer, for all kinds of reasons, but that doesn't mean they cannot or should not be answered, or that we should at least try to answer them. "Why is the sky blue?" can be answered, although other questions are more difficult. But none of this changes the observation that people with opinions like yours tend to dismiss questions that science cannot answer, instead of simply acknowledging that science is not omnipotent. Why would it be? It's a great tool. We all know what it can and has achieved. But it can't address all questions or matters of dispute. So what?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Atla

Post by Atla »

Steve3007 wrote: March 19th, 2021, 6:20 am It would partly depend on what you regard as an explanation; what you think it means to explain something.

If (as it seems reasonable to suppose) our brains are made from elementary particles - the same ones that non-conscious things are made from - then it should in principle be possible to put those elementary particles together to make a conscious brain.
First we need understand the depth of the Hard problem of consciousness. (except for Nick, no hope there)

Consciousness as in human consciousness (human consciousness / organism consciousness / AI consciousness), and consciousness as in the 'what it is like' phenomenological consciousness, may be two different things that co-occur in humans. The question isn't simply how they are the same thing, but also whether they are the same thing.
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:45 am
NickGaspar wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:25 pm

So you dismiss the question as "useless", as I describe. "Why" questions can sometimes be diffficult to answer, for all kinds of reasons, but that doesn't mean they cannot or should not be answered, or that we should at least try to answer them. "Why is the sky blue?" can be answered, although other questions are more difficult. But none of this changes the observation that people with opinions like yours tend to dismiss questions that science cannot answer, instead of simply acknowledging that science is not omnipotent.
Sure, "why" questions are difficult to answer mainly because they involve the subjective take of a thinking agent. But when we ask questions about the world, assuming intention,purpose and meaning in natural processes is just useless and fallacious. Gertie keeps repeating this fallacious teleological question "Why physical brain processes correlate with mental experience." This is a great example of how one can derail his reasoning by asking useless teleological questions about Nature's blind processes.

-" "Why is the sky blue?" can be answered, although other questions are more difficult."
-We agree but in this case we are answering a "how" or "what" instead of a "why" question, i.e. how natural mechanisms produce this phenomenon.

-"But none of this changes the observation that people with opinions like yours tend to dismiss questions that science cannot answer, instead of simply acknowledging that science is not omnipotent.Why would it be? It's a great tool. We all know what it can and has achieved. But it can't address all questions or matters of dispute. So what?"
-Again the issue is not whether science can or can't answer a question. The issue is the fallacious nature of these questions. We first need to prove that there is a hidden purpose behind natural phenomena before we decide to answer such "why" questions. Can you really demonstrate intention purpose and meaning in Natural processes??
NickGaspar

Post by NickGaspar »

Atla wrote: March 19th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Steve3007 wrote: March 19th, 2021, 6:20 am It would partly depend on what you regard as an explanation; what you think it means to explain something.

If (as it seems reasonable to suppose) our brains are made from elementary particles - the same ones that non-conscious things are made from - then it should in principle be possible to put those elementary particles together to make a conscious brain.
First we need understand the depth of the Hard problem of consciousness. (except for Nick, no hope there)

Consciousness as in human consciousness (human consciousness / organism consciousness / AI consciousness), and consciousness as in the 'what it is like' phenomenological consciousness, may be two different things that co-occur in humans. The question isn't simply how they are the same thing, but also whether they are the same thing.
Maybe the second "type" of consciousness is in the superposition...lol
So to be conscious of your self and your experiences as a human is a different type of "what it is like ". Oh boy.
The same pseudo philosophical deepities reproduced by people who have zero understanding about the science of the field.
BTW I am still waiting for your evidence for the ..."superposition of consciousness, toxicity, radioactivity, combustion"

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream