Pearl blankets vs. Friston blankets

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Papus79

Pearl blankets vs. Friston blankets

Post by Papus79 »

Reading this article after having listened to Curt Jaimungal's interview with Dr. Karl Friston and hearing some of the rather interesting ways in which his use of Markov blankets seems to support hypotheses for answering previously philosophical questions such as agent/environment demarcations. This article is critical of Friston to a degree but mostly to the extent that the authors believe that Friston et al. are starting to play a bit loose with the distinction between map and territory and thus are starting to get into the metaphysics game through assumptions about Markov blankets, free energy principal, etc..

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/18467/1 ... ankets.pdf

I'd be curious if anyone else has looked into this and gathered their own thoughts on this? I personally find the Markov chains fascinating as they offer some type of formal inroad into processes, and it doesn't surprise me that there'd be something of a gold rush on it in the research communities - both in biology and computer sciences.

I'm still somewhat early in reading this paper and my mind could be changed on this but my sense is that when you're in a hot area and you're getting a lot out of it - it might take a while before you start feeling comfortable laying down 'no go' zones or at least stipulating new ones. That could be part of why they're leaving map and territory distinctions a bit blurry. The paper above is only 47 pages long so I think its something I could cover end to end in the next few days.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Pearl blankets vs. Friston blankets

Post by Terrapin Station »

I'm nowhere near familiar enough with a lot of the ideas and issues here to be able to comment on this, but reading through the paper you linked to, I'm extremely dubious towards most of what's being presented. But I'd have to spend a lot more time learning about it to be able to comment very much.
Terrapin Station

In general, by the way, I'm even rather skeptical of probability, but I'm especially skeptical of Bayesian approaches to probability.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Terrapin Station wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:08 pm In general, by the way, I'm even rather skeptical of probability, but I'm especially skeptical of Bayesian approaches to probability.
I don't know what your familiarity is with Markov chains but I've been interested for a while before this in how those map dynamic equilibrium in complex systems. It appears that a Markov blanket might be a way of framing the cradle of inputs that those rest in and so they'd lend themselves well to troubleshooting problems within complex systems. That's part of why I can see a lot of the intuitions that Karl Friston et al are voicing, particularly with what kinds of inroads this kind of math that provide in understanding what goes right or wrong in biological ecosystems, political systems, even JIT supply chains or traffic infrastructure, and how to improve our maintenance, building, and perhaps when or if we have to nudge an ecosystem or social system in one direction or another we can do it with fewer ugly second and third order consequences.
Terrapin Station

Papus79 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:08 pm In general, by the way, I'm even rather skeptical of probability, but I'm especially skeptical of Bayesian approaches to probability.
I don't know what your familiarity is with Markov chains but I've been interested for a while before this in how those map dynamic equilibrium in complex systems. It appears that a Markov blanket might be a way of framing the cradle of inputs that those rest in and so they'd lend themselves well to troubleshooting problems within complex systems. That's part of why I can see a lot of the intuitions that Karl Friston et al are voicing, particularly with what kinds of inroads this kind of math that provide in understanding what goes right or wrong in biological ecosystems, political systems, even JIT supply chains or traffic infrastructure, and how to improve our maintenance, building, and perhaps when or if we have to nudge an ecosystem or social system in one direction or another we can do it with fewer ugly second and third order consequences.
I'm somewhat familiar with Markov chains, but what I've always been curious about since becoming familiar with Markov chains but I've yet to explore very much is the extent to which real-world empirical verifications in a variety of contexts bear out the probability predictions of Markov chains.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

My knowledge of Markov chains is vague (I dimly remember studying them a little bit a very long time ago) and my knowledge of Markov blankets is non-existent. But I presume Markov blankets are a generalization of Markov chains? I am interested, though, in the general theme of using probability and statistics to arrive at effectively deterministic end results. Possibly this is where Markov chains have applications to thermodynamics and statistical mechanics? It's always been interesting to me that laws of Nature with rock solid reliability, and which seem to say useful things on subjects like non-reversible physical processes, are statistical. And therefore they are only applicable to systems with large numbers of parts.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Steve3007 wrote: May 25th, 2021, 5:15 am My knowledge of Markov chains is vague (I dimly remember studying them a little bit a very long time ago) and my knowledge of Markov blankets is non-existent. But I presume Markov blankets are a generalization of Markov chains?
I actually saw this used in quite different ways.

It seems like one analogy, the difference between Markov boundaries and Markov blankets, is that a boundary is the minimum set of states or variables where to drop below that threshold loses information. Where I get a bit confused is when they say 'useful' information for Markov blankets, possibly a bit like added capacity in the context of disequilibrium systems?

Friston actually seemed to use this in a particular manner with living systems, talking about what I think a lot of people term the inside/outside or subject/object boundary where you have information going out, information coming in, that that barrier facilitates certain kinds of gating and exchange that - going with the 'Free Energy Principal' act as aids not only in terms of protecting the interior states but also aiding in reduction of uncertainty or wasted / free energy.
Steve3007 wrote: May 25th, 2021, 5:15 amI am interested, though, in the general theme of using probability and statistics to arrive at effectively deterministic end results. Possibly this is where Markov chains have applications to thermodynamics and statistical mechanics? It's always been interesting to me that laws of Nature with rock solid reliability, and which seem to say useful things on subjects like non-reversible physical processes, are statistical. And therefore they are only applicable to systems with large numbers of parts.
I think the thing that was really interesting to me, at an entry level, was seeing that if you had an equal exchange of different effects between modes then enough circulations of those exchanges lent itself to a steady state (ie. crunching a given matrix enough times). That seems to describe what happens when you have plants, animals, etc. with relatively fixed characteristics, fixed amounts of prey, you get multiyear predator/prey cycles, if something can gestate long enough you get things as odd as cicadas whose cycles are set to prime numbers, I'm not sure how far down the drive for 'survival' can be mapped but at least in biological life it seems like it almost 'grids' relationships. I also think back, on a much different level, to things like Slate Star Codex's 'Meditations on Moloch' and how our culture really gets electrified by basins of attraction where those basins may not be rational but they're statistical and it's a bit like if you aren't in those 'right places' or tuned to chasing them, being early to them, etc., you can fall farther and farther behind.

Friston was talking about steady states and mentioned circular motion/orbit as one kind of steady state and plasma as another, and where life seems to come into play is where you have these orchestrated states of... I guess you could say collapsed or 'bundled' disequilibrium where you get organized flow.

For determinism, I don't if I've ever felt comfortable trying to pick that off from physical relationships but I've much more often felt comfortable looking at relationships in time (gotten into the weeds with a lot of people in free will threads) where for me if time is as linear as it presents itself then you should find no more high fidelity replica (perfect or near-perfect) as replaying some short slice of time in your life (a few seconds to a few minutes) because the starting inputs and states should - in theory - be identical every time, the environment unfolding around you should be identical every time, so there doesn't seem to be anyplace to than on 'some' kind of optimal path (what may or may not look optimal to an outside observer but the outside observer can't see all of your internal states).
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Something I'm watching today which is helpful, Karl Friston addressing the Institute for Science in Society in December of 2020 with an hour long lecture and almost an hour Q & A. It's a more condensed unpack of the ideas rather than the four hour dialog he had with Curt Jaimungal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4KrWxrP-T0
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

A Markov blanket of a random variable in a random variable set is any subset of , conditioned on which other variables are independent with : It means that contains at least all the information one needs to infer , where the variables in. are redundant. In general, a given Markov blanket is not unique.

A human conceit wrapped in a fantasy wrapped in an abstraction.
No such things exist out side the human imagination, so you cannot expect any of it to make any more sense than any other fantasy from Acromantula to Zoony the Space dog.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

An update on this topic, there's increasing dovetail between Karl Friston and Michael Levin's work, and it's really cool to see that Kurt Jaimungal got them together along with Chris Fields to have a group discussion.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream