Philosophy or Physics? Which one do you think accurately explains limits of technology?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Maximum7
New Trial Member

Philosophy or Physics? Which one do you think accurately explains limits of technology?

Post by Maximum7 »

I am obsessed with the speculation that science and technology may reach an endpoint or inversely never end. Philosopher Bernard Stiegler argued that technology is a living form of memory and is constantly advancing. It is almost a law of nature. Yet physicists like Isaac Arthur argue that science and technology has a limit because there are only so many different things you can do with the particles of the universe. Both offer excellent points. Philosophy is the science of thinking of why things are, based on logic. Technology will always advance because logically there will always be stuff we want to create (as long as people are still around of course). However, physics measures things in the universe with cold hard facts and it may be that the universe itself is finite and humans may actually find themselves “retiring” science as a study in 3000 AD or something.

Anyway, which school of thought should I believe? Which one is more likely to be true?

PLEASE. If you have any sources besides Stiegler or Isaac Arthur that touch on this subject; please share with me. I NEED some closure.
JackDaydream

Re: Philosophy or Physics? Which one do you think accurately explains limits of technology?

Post by JackDaydream »

@Maximum7

I don't see why you have to make a choice between physics or philosophy as the two can be complementary. Science has been important not simply for making things which we need, but has been central in philosophy. But paradigms change within scientific thinking and the quantum physics of Einstein's thinking has broken down the Cartesian-Newtonian system of thinking about the world and science is evolving. In some ways, aspects of science may be starting to replace the ideas of philosophy in academic and popular thinking, but philosophy is still needed to interpret the findings of the scientists and even physics and other physical sciences make certain metaphysics assumptions and have inherent sets of values.
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Re: Philosophy or Physics? Which one do you think accurately explains limits of technology?

Post by Leontiskos »

Physics can accurately explain the physical limits of technology. Philosophy can accurately explain limitations of technology that go beyond physical barriers.

As to the question of whether science and technology have a limit, and whether humans will eventually exhaust the finitude of reality, I do not think it will be exhausted. Humans have an infinite curiosity, and it is also important to remember that humans are themselves finite, limited by their lifespan among other things. There is no such thing as "science and technology" apart from scientists themselves, and scientists have limitations of various kinds. The limitations of scientists are probably far more significant than the limitation of the universe's finitude.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Maximum7 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm I am obsessed with the speculation that science and technology may reach an endpoint or inversely never end. Philosopher Bernard Stiegler argued that technology is a living form of memory and is constantly advancing. It is almost a law of nature. Yet physicists like Isaac Arthur argue that science and technology has a limit because there are only so many different things you can do with the particles of the universe. Both offer excellent points. Philosophy is the science of thinking of why things are, based on logic. Technology will always advance because logically there will always be stuff we want to create (as long as people are still around of course). However, physics measures things in the universe with cold hard facts and it may be that the universe itself is finite and humans may actually find themselves “retiring” science as a study in 3000 AD or something.

Anyway, which school of thought should I believe? Which one is more likely to be true?

PLEASE. If you have any sources besides Stiegler or Isaac Arthur that touch on this subject; please share with me. I NEED some closure.
Science and technology are theoretically limited by the combination of properties of the physical, which of course is a finite number so large, from the human perspective it is functionally infinite. What is a much smaller number is the length of time the total human experience will end up being.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Maximum7 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm I am obsessed with the speculation that science and technology may reach an endpoint or inversely never end. Philosopher Bernard Stiegler argued that technology is a living form of memory and is constantly advancing. It is almost a law of nature. Yet physicists like Isaac Arthur argue that science and technology has a limit because there are only so many different things you can do with the particles of the universe. Both offer excellent points. Philosophy is the science of thinking of why things are, based on logic. Technology will always advance because logically there will always be stuff we want to create (as long as people are still around of course). However, physics measures things in the universe with cold hard facts and it may be that the universe itself is finite and humans may actually find themselves “retiring” science as a study in 3000 AD or something.

I tend to agree with those who have commented before me. Science and philosophy are complementary. Neither one is sufficient in itself: they offer different understandings of life, the universe and everything.

As for limits, and how far we can go, I don't think we will ever stop learning new things about the universe. Someone - Aristotle? - famously opined that the wise man knows how little he knows, and I definitely subscribe to this point of view.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

https://www.amazon.com/Money-Meaning-Li ... 0385262426

Science provides facts and the source of technology. Philosophy is the love of wisdom and the source of wisdom is meaning. But what is meaning? When a person is guided by the relativity of meaning, then they have wisdom

Money represents meaning but why is a dollar meaningful? I know of no better intro to this essential topic you bring than Jacob Needleman's book: https://www.amazon.com/Money-Meaning-Li ... 0385262426

Maybe it can help your need for closure as it helped my need to understand.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Physics deals with natural laws. Technology is not a natural phenomenon, no matter how hard you try to find examples of other living beings modifying their environment and using tools. It will not do it. The study of technology falls outside the scope of physics.

Technology is always a human issue, so one might expect that philosophy somehow deals with it, however, since there are many issues that would require specialized knowledge from many fields, the methods of philosophy alone are very limited. The best chances of producing interesting insights on the possibilities of technology fall within the scope of social sciences.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Physics discovers; philosophy interprets...meaning the limits of technology are not determined by philosophy.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Tegularius wrote: August 31st, 2021, 12:09 am Physics discovers; philosophy interprets...meaning the limits of technology are not determined by philosophy.
No, but they might be explained by philosophy (or physics), which is what the title topic asks about.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:31 am
Tegularius wrote: August 31st, 2021, 12:09 am Physics discovers; philosophy interprets...meaning the limits of technology are not determined by philosophy.
No, but they might be explained by philosophy (or physics), which is what the title topic asks about.
Each of the technological artifacts humans have created are designed with a purpose and implemented accordingly. They don't need to be further explained beyond the motive which created it. Tools don't require a philosophy.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:31 am No, but they might be explained by philosophy (or physics), which is what the title topic asks about.
Tegularius wrote: August 31st, 2021, 5:40 pm Each of the technological artifacts humans have created are designed with a purpose and implemented accordingly. They don't need to be further explained beyond the motive which created it. Tools don't require a philosophy.
The title asks about explaining the limits of technology, not explaining technology.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 1st, 2021, 8:58 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:31 am No, but they might be explained by philosophy (or physics), which is what the title topic asks about.
Tegularius wrote: August 31st, 2021, 5:40 pm Each of the technological artifacts humans have created are designed with a purpose and implemented accordingly. They don't need to be further explained beyond the motive which created it. Tools don't require a philosophy.
The title asks about explaining the limits of technology, not explaining technology.
...and I replied directly by writing...the limits of technology are not determined by philosophy.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 1st, 2021, 8:58 am
Tegularius wrote: September 1st, 2021, 5:02 pm ...and I replied directly by writing...the limits of technology are not determined by philosophy.
...which is what I commented on. We've gone round in a circle. The limits of technology are not determined by philosophy, I agree. But they might be explained by it, which is what this topic asks us to consider.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 10:59 am...which is what I commented on. We've gone round in a circle. The limits of technology are not determined by philosophy, I agree. But they might be explained by it, which is what this topic asks us to consider.
Words, their meanings and how they're applied is not exactly fixed in many minds. Different perspectives abound, though the words are the same. This is certainly noticeable in philosophy and philosophy forums unlike the methods imposed by Law and the sciences where meanings are meant to be much more precise.

I take the position if it were possible to explain the limits of technology then that explanation would also determine those limits based on the reasons provided. This, of course, has nothing to do with whether the explanation is correct or not.

To me, an explanation usually leads to at least some kind of intermediate determination on some subject. Though not precisely synonymous, they are connected since something determined is not likely to occur without first being explained.
FranknBerry

Post by FranknBerry »

Neither can provide an accurate explanation. People who declare themselves to exist as either one of such titles can share a perceptual explanation of how technology is limited, yet any notion that such an explanation would be accurate is entirely subjective. Even the concept of "limitation" is subjective in how it's perceivable. Limits of technology are not determined by categories, but instead by individuals. Semantics aside, my perception of what technology is doesn't align with existing concepts shared within either perceived field of study. As such I find myself not leaning toward either direction but rather away from both.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream