Are COVID-19 vax passports the solution or another problem?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Are COVID-19 vax passports the solution or another problem?

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Some people don't get sick with COVID-19. So apparently, COVID-19 is not felt as a disease for everyone who is affected by the virus. If something isn't felt as a disease, can it still be an illness? I don't think so.

With COVID-19, you may or may not be sick. If the virus causes a disease in some people but not in others, it may be because some people have susceptibilities needed to cause a disease.

Are people who don't get the disease (while hosting the virus) more healthy than others and is not having susceptibilities to COVID-19 imply that COVID-19 is actually not a disease causing virus but rather a harmless one that attacks inadequate immune systems?

If the issue revealed by this pandemic is that some people have inadequate immune systems, could it be possible to shift the responsibility for the disease away from the virus and onto the problematic immune system of some people?

The purpose of this question is to find out whether we can play a "blame the victim" game with COVID-19. Don't blame me for passing it on to you when there's something inadequate with your system? So why should I self-isolate if I test positive with the disease since I believe to bear no responsibility for how your affected body will handle it?

I feel that people are busy getting the unethical vaccine (tested on animals) to get rid of a potential personal deficiency so that they can then play the "blame the victim" themselves, and attack unvaccinated people as they attack groups of people who haven't had the unethical vaccine and who oppose it.

I feel that this is narrow minded, as bigots are. If, when dealing with this issue, it isn't required to address the origin of the virus then you aren't addressing the root problem of animal abuse. And perhaps instead you are inclined to promoting an unethical solution that allows you to create a dominant supremacist "click" of vaccine passport users who receive benefits not open to everyone?
Be the machine that speaks against machines
LuckyR

Re: Are COVID-19 vax passports the solution or another problem?

Post by LuckyR »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:52 pm Some people don't get sick with COVID-19. So apparently, COVID-19 is not felt as a disease for everyone who is affected by the virus. If something isn't felt as a disease, can it still be an illness? I don't think so.

With COVID-19, you may or may not be sick. If the virus causes a disease in some people but not in others, it may be because some people have susceptibilities needed to cause a disease.

Are people who don't get the disease (while hosting the virus) more healthy than others and is not having susceptibilities to COVID-19 imply that COVID-19 is actually not a disease causing virus but rather a harmless one that attacks inadequate immune systems?

If the issue revealed by this pandemic is that some people have inadequate immune systems, could it be possible to shift the responsibility for the disease away from the virus and onto the problematic immune system of some people?

The purpose of this question is to find out whether we can play a "blame the victim" game with COVID-19. Don't blame me for passing it on to you when there's something inadequate with your system? So why should I self-isolate if I test positive with the disease since I believe to bear no responsibility for how your affected body will handle it?

I feel that people are busy getting the unethical vaccine (tested on animals) to get rid of a potential personal deficiency so that they can then play the "blame the victim" themselves, and attack unvaccinated people as they attack groups of people who haven't had the unethical vaccine and who oppose it.

I feel that this is narrow minded, as bigots are. If, when dealing with this issue, it isn't required to address the origin of the virus then you aren't addressing the root problem of animal abuse. And perhaps instead you are inclined to promoting an unethical solution that allows you to create a dominant supremacist "click" of vaccine passport users who receive benefits not open to everyone?
Several things. First animal testing is immoral (in your eyes and that of others) but is not unethical. Secondly, while you are naturally free to voice your opposition to vaccines and their use, I wouldn't be throwing around terminology like narrow minded and bigots if I were you. Lastly, I don't disagree that governmental requirements for vaccine proof to access certain priveleges has some legal (and thus practical) problems, most of what I have heard and read about in this area is by private institutions, thus they are fully ethical, within that context.
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

If you think the vaccine is unethical for whatever reason, don't take it. I'm not in favour of people being forced to take it, but of course there's inevitably a debate to be had as to what exactly constitutes "force". It would be unreasonable to literally only define it as physically holding someone down and injecting them. But, as Lucky pointed out, if a private organization doesn't want you on their turf unless you've taken the vaccine I see nothing wrong with that.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

No matter how much people bleat and moan the fact is that NO ONE has been forced to take the vaccine, and no one ever shall.
If you don't want to take it on grounds of "freeddom" then you do not have to.
But do not expect to gain entry to places that have decided to place restrictions. Do not expect to infringe the freedoms of others who would rather not admit people like yourself
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:If you think the vaccine is unethical for whatever reason, don't take it. I'm not in favour of people being forced to take it, but of course there's inevitably a debate to be had as to what exactly constitutes "force". It would be unreasonable to literally only define it as physically holding someone down and injecting them. But, as Lucky pointed out, if a private organization doesn't want you on their turf unless you've taken the vaccine I see nothing wrong with that.
I fully agree with all that you say here.

I further think that trying to force people to take vaccinations is an uphill battle. We can get much more bang for our buck; more results for our efforts (and stop this virus!) by simply encouraging all healthy/healthy vaccinated people to unmask and resume full socialization (i.e. safely implement herd immunity).
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

RJG wrote: September 14th, 2021, 7:43 am
Steve3007 wrote:If you think the vaccine is unethical for whatever reason, don't take it. I'm not in favour of people being forced to take it, but of course there's inevitably a debate to be had as to what exactly constitutes "force". It would be unreasonable to literally only define it as physically holding someone down and injecting them. But, as Lucky pointed out, if a private organization doesn't want you on their turf unless you've taken the vaccine I see nothing wrong with that.

I further think that trying to force people to take vaccinations is an uphill battle. We can get much more bang for our buck; more results for our efforts (and stop this virus!) by simply encouraging all healthy/healthy vaccinated people to unmask and resume full socialization (i.e. safely implement herd immunity).
This might be a good policy when most people are vaccinated but it would have been disastrous for the vast majority of the time you have been arguing for it for the simply reason that would you have had your way at any time in the last year, all hospitals would have exceeded capacity as we found when places were reluctant to lockdown.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

RJG wrote: September 14th, 2021, 7:43 am

RJG

I agree with you about the science of the mosquito scenario, however I still find a pair of gaps I hope you can fill in. One of the two follows:

If healthy/healthy vaccinated people take on the burden of Covid exposure, we will never reach an 80% level of population immunity. If only 70% or so are at least partially immune, and an unknown number are immunologically resistant, how will we ever attain herd immunity?
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 6:16 am No matter how much people bleat and moan the fact is that NO ONE has been forced to take the vaccine, and no one ever shall.
But do not expect to gain entry to places that have decided to place restrictions. Do not expect to infringe the freedoms of others who would rather not admit people like yourself
It is obvious to me, a person who cares for animals, that you are making a false statement when you say that no one has been forced to take the vaccine. I only wish you were correct. It's great to hear you take a stand that no one shall ever [be forced to take the vaccine]. You are a vegan in the making :D .
Be the machine that speaks against machines
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: September 14th, 2021, 1:56 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 6:16 am No matter how much people bleat and moan the fact is that NO ONE has been forced to take the vaccine, and no one ever shall.
It is obvious to me, a person who cares for animals, that you are making a false statement when you say that no one has been forced to take the vaccine. I only wish you were correct. It's great to hear you take a stand that no one shall ever [be forced to take the vaccine]. You are a vegan in the making :D .
No person has ever been forced to get vaccinated.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

No one has ever been forced to take the vaccine. If you want to persist with this fantasy then you will have to offer some evidence.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 3:33 pm
No one has ever been forced to take the vaccine. If you want to persist with this fantasy then you will have to offer some evidence.
Ha-ha-ha. I think Empiricist was trying to say that “someone” who is an animal in a vaccine trial has been forced to take the vaccine.
RJG

Post by RJG »

AverageBozo wrote:I agree with you about the science of the mosquito scenario, however I still find a pair of gaps I hope you can fill in. One of the two follows:

If healthy/healthy vaccinated people take on the burden of Covid exposure, we will never reach an 80% level of population immunity. If only 70% or so are at least partially immune, and an unknown number are immunologically resistant, how will we ever attain herd immunity?
I think you are right. Because we have fearfully/foolishly prevented herd immunity, I suspect that we are already past the "point-of-no-return"; already past the point of possibly achieving the herd immunity 'threshold' value. (i.e., our potential army of healthy/immune people is now too small). I hope I'm wrong.

But in any case, even if we can no longer eradicate this virus (reach the threshold value), we can still significantly reduce the number of deaths and serious illness caused by this virus.

Remember, there is a difference between herd immunity 'protection' and the herd immunity 'threshold' value.

1. The 'threshold' value is the point (saturation percentage of immune people to the given population) where we theoretically stop and eradicate the virus (it is mathematically determined by the contagious rate of the virus).

2. Herd immunity 'protection' can be gained by even 1 immune person within a local environment (or herd), which means that even 1% of immune people (within a herd) can provide protection. Of course, the more immune people within the herd, the more protection, and the safer, and the less prevalence of the virus within that local environment.

So, just because we can no longer reach the herd immunity 'threshold' value, does not mean that we should give up on 'protecting' people and making this virus as "mild" as possible. The longer we wait to implement herd immunity (via unmasking and socializing healthy/immune people), the worse (or un-mild) this virus will become, and the more dead people we will have.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

RJG wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:39 am
AverageBozo wrote:I agree with you about the science of the mosquito scenario, however I still find a pair of gaps I hope you can fill in. One of the two follows:

I think you are right. Because we have fearfully/foolishly prevented herd immunity, I suspect that we are already past the "point-of-no-return"; already past the point of possibly achieving the herd immunity 'threshold' value. (i.e., our potential army of healthy/immune people is now too small). I hope I'm wrong.

But in any case, even if we can no longer eradicate this virus (reach the threshold value), we can still significantly reduce the number of deaths and serious illness caused by this virus.

Remember, there is a difference between herd immunity 'protection' and the herd immunity 'threshold' value.

1. The 'threshold' value is the point (saturation percentage of immune people to the given population) where we theoretically stop and eradicate the virus (it is mathematically determined by the contagious rate of the virus).

2. Herd immunity 'protection' can be gained by even 1 immune person within a local environment (or herd), which means that even 1% of immune people (within a herd) can provide protection. Of course, the more immune people within the herd, the more protection, and the safer, and the less prevalence of the virus within that local environment.

So, just because we can no longer reach the herd immunity 'threshold' value, does not mean that we should give up on 'protecting' people and making this virus as "mild" as possible. The longer we wait to implement herd immunity (via unmasking and socializing healthy/immune people), the worse (or un-mild) this virus will become, and the more dead people we will have.
I see. Thanks.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eradication is off the table. Covid is here to stay. It has been found in deer so there is a non-human resevoir. It isn't about virus avoidance, it is about immune system improvement so that folks get Covid but it is more like a cold or the flu. Remember, if original Covid 19 was as lethal as a cold, we wouldn't even be talking about it right now.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream