Are we finally approaching the end of physics?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Are we finally approaching the end of physics?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Raymond wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:33 am Seems you take the Popperian stand. But why always try to falsify?
I agree with this sentiment, as I am definitely not a follower of Popper. But I observe that modern science and physics do follow the Popperian model, and that is what I commented on.

Raymond wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:33 am After enough scrutinizing, shouldn't one be able to say "This is it" finally?
Is 0.97 equal to 1?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:48 am
Raymond wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:33 am Seems you take the Popperian stand. But why always try to falsify?
I agree with this sentiment, as I am definitely not a follower of Popper. But I observe that modern science and physics do follow the Popperian model, and that is what I commented on.

Raymond wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:33 am After enough scrutinizing, shouldn't one be able to say "This is it" finally?
Is 0.97 equal to 1?
"Is 0.97 equal to 1?"

One drop of water plus one drop of water gives one drop of water. So we can say 0.97 equals 1. If 1 is the truth we can know 1. And 0.97.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:48 am
I agree with this sentiment, as I am definitely not a follower of Popper. But I observe that modern science and physics do follow the Popperian model, and that is what I commented
You really think science proceeds Popperian? I don't think that progress proceeds like that.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Raymond wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:59 am So we can say 0.97 equals 1.
Then physics has surely reached its end.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 1:09 pm
Raymond wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:59 am So we can say 0.97 equals 1.
Then physics has surely reached its end.
Haha! The final formula: 1=0.97...
intentes_pupil

Post by intentes_pupil »

Raymond wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 8:35 am [...]why should you wanna change it? In my mind I have found one. Well, almost. But the general outcome for the model seems to be not further reducible. I think that that's the goal for every physicist. You can be open to change but always trying to falsify, like sir Karl Popper demands, has its limits.
[...]
It is not about willing to change the model. It is about the humbleness principle to be open for contradictions, given the observations, and allow to modify or expand the model. It is the very fact of accepting (or at least starting from the assumption) that you don't know everything, the key point to differentiate physics from dogmatism.

If someone finds a model and claims to have found the definitive knowledge, that person might be a saint, a guru, the pope; but this person is not a physicist.

I am interested in your idea of falsifying having it's limits. Could you develop more on that?

KR
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

intentes_pupil wrote: April 5th, 2022, 3:52 pm
Raymond wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 8:35 am [...]why should you wanna change it? In my mind I have found one. Well, almost. But the general outcome for the model seems to be not further reducible. I think that that's the goal for every physicist. You can be open to change but always trying to falsify, like sir Karl Popper demands, has its limits.
[...]
It is not about willing to change the model. It is about the humbleness principle to be open for contradictions, given the observations, and allow to modify or expand the model. It is the very fact of accepting (or at least starting from the assumption) that you don't know everything, the key point to differentiate physics from dogmatism.

If someone finds a model and claims to have found the definitive knowledge, that person might be a saint, a guru, the pope; but this person is not a physicist.

I am interested in your idea of falsifying having it's limits. Could you develop more on that?

KR
Yes, I understand the feeling of humbleness but I don't think this has to be connected with limiting our knowledge. If you have a humble approach to nature I can see no reason why nature won't show herself. Why shouldn't you be a true physicist if you consider your fundamental theory or model as true. Feynman said he wouldn't be surprised that the final fundaments wouldn't be math but a simple thing (he differed from Einstein who said you have to be able to explain your theory to a 6 year old, while he said that anyone claiming to understand quantum physics hasn't understood it; or don't they differ? I think you can explain qm very well to a 6 year old, maybe even the best). Is considering your theory or model as fundamentally true a sign of not being a physicist? There is soooo much more than fundamental laws or structures. I think it might even be a sign of not being a true physicist if you don't wanna know the fundamentals of nature, or claiming you found them. If it really is reasonable, after scrutinizing, criticizing, refining, falsifying, etc. Why not? It even gives a feeling of awe and maybe even more humble.
intentes_pupil

Post by intentes_pupil »

Raymond wrote: April 5th, 2022, 4:24 pm [...] Why shouldn't you be a true physicist if you consider your fundamental theory or model as true. [...]
If you believe you reached the limits of what can be known and that to be true, there is no room for new knowledge. The very first time some observation happen to challenge your so called truth you have two options:
1. Accept you had not reached the limits of physics (knowledge) and expand your knowledge --> this is what science is about.
2. Reject the observation and burn the heretics. --> this is what dogmatism can lead to.

I don't really understand your argument rationally.

Do you speak from a theological, religious, spiritual point of view?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

intentes_pupil wrote: April 6th, 2022, 7:40 am
Raymond wrote: April 5th, 2022, 4:24 pm [...] Why shouldn't you be a true physicist if you consider your fundamental theory or model as true. [...]
If you believe you reached the limits of what can be known and that to be true, there is no room for new knowledge. The very first time some observation happen to challenge your so called truth you have two options:
1. Accept you had not reached the limits of physics (knowledge) and expand your knowledge --> this is what science is about.
2. Reject the observation and burn the heretics. --> this is what dogmatism can lead to.

I don't really understand your argument rationally.

Do you speak from a theological, religious, spiritual point of view?

Having reached a fundamental rock doesn't mean there is no room for new knowledge. It just means you can't go deeper, not that you can't go higher. Untill observations prove otherwise I consider my model fundamentally true and objective. And I'm pretty convinced there won't arrive objections from experiment or theory. On the contrary. Experiments corroborate my model (muon g2 experiment).

Part of my cosmology is religion-inspired. They combine perfectly.
intentes_pupil

Post by intentes_pupil »

Raymond wrote: April 6th, 2022, 9:24 am
Having reached a fundamental rock doesn't mean there is no room for new knowledge. It just means you can't go deeper, not that you can't go higher.

[...]

Part of my cosmology is religion-inspired. They combine perfectly.
Ok. Now I understand your point. You mean we cannot go deeper to the fundamentals of physics, am I right? That meaning we found the simplest axioms and theory of the smallest that cannot be further atomized and from which the whole physics can be derived. Right?

That is an interesting point.

First things first. Given your phrase "..can't go deeper, not that you can't go higher", I hope you agree with me that the title of this feed is then misleading (..the end of physics..) since I understand that as having reached the limits of physical understanding (what you call "go higher").

Apart from that and back to the point of not being able to go deeper. I agree that the observation might suggest that. We might have reached the limit of the fundamentals and might not be able to go smaller. But given that we study and understand things given axioms and principles, if for some reasons in the future those principles are shaken (as Einstein did with space and time), a whole new way of doing physics might be discovered that would allow us going "deeper" to find the smallest principles from that branch.

So if you suggest you found the ultimate principles from which the whole physics can be explain, good. That might not change in your lifetime or even in a couple of hundreds of years and it will be fine. But the possibility of that at some point happening is from my point of view really high. Therefore, I prefer to be skeptical about everything, even the principles of physics in order not to worry about changing them in the future in need be.

I think that is the approach physicist and scientist take (and should take).

And totally agree that science and religion is compatible. Science/Physics is the tool that describes what and Religion/Philosophy take care of the Why. Mixing both is from my point of view dangerous illegitimate. Meaning, religion shouldn't be aspiring to describe phenomena and science shouldn't aspire to give answers to whys.

I am curious about your "religion-inspired". Can you elaborate more on that? Maybe being more specific what do you mean by that?

KR
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

intentes_pupil wrote: April 7th, 2022, 4:10 am Apart from that and back to the point of not being able to go deeper. I agree that the observation might suggest that. We might have reached the limit of the fundamentals and might not be able to go smaller. But given that we study and understand things given axioms and principles, if for some reasons in the future those principles are shaken (as Einstein did with space and time), a whole new way of doing physics might be discovered that would allow us going "deeper" to find the smallest principles from that branch.
I have no rigorously-argued case to offer here. But my limited awareness of history says that we've concluded we know it all quite a few times, and each time, we've been wrong, sometimes very badly wrong. Now, I am of the opinion that we will never – even if we last another 1000 million years – know all that is there to be known. I don't think we could even begin to approach that point. Life, the Universe and Everything is very big, and very complicated, and we are very small, and very limited.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
intentes_pupil

Post by intentes_pupil »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 7th, 2022, 8:14 am I have no rigorously-argued case to offer here. But my limited awareness of history says that we've concluded we know it all quite a few times, and each time, we've been wrong, sometimes very badly wrong. Now, I am of the opinion that we will never – even if we last another 1000 million years – know all that is there to be known. I don't think we could even begin to approach that point. Life, the Universe and Everything is very big, and very complicated, and we are very small, and very limited.
As my older post follows, I totally agree with you.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Indeed I meant physically there can a fundament be found. I don't see any reason why not. Democritus already saw all physical forms as basic atomics hooked up in diversity. I wonder how Plato looked at this, by the way. There is a variety of approaches. Not being tied to a particular one, careerwise or "peer-to-peer-wise" I have a rather ideosyncratic take on the "matter". Maybe I was born the wrong way up or down. Most people, after having gone through the process of learning stick to the prevailing standard and wanna exclude the non-standard view. To give an example: I yesterday answered a question on a physics forum about the fractional charge of quarks. I answered that electrons have a triple charge because of three charged preons it's made of and quarks thus have not a fractional but an integer charge. A good explanation and answer to the question. But it got deleted because it flies into the face of the standard. The preon model even offers a unifying principle beyond the standard model, though it doesn't subscribe to the Higgs mechanism (not the Higgs particle). It seems so obvious to me. Together with a model of particles themselves, space and time, it offers a powerfull rock bottom package. We will never know what their true nature is all about (say their physical charges with which they are filled or what they are) but because we eat them we come to know their nature somehow (consciousness). So untill there are observations contradicting this model, or good arguments against it I hold it for true knowledge of the fundaments.

Of course in the other direction, there is no limit to our knowledge. There is no ToE because there is too much to know.

My theology, which may be pretty ideosyncratic also, made me change my cosmology. It literally stimulated me to invent a structure for which this can happen. And it solves dark energy. Try to tell that to the cosmological priests in their towers of saddened ivory! They are too much involved in trying to keep up the image of being the bearers of some special knowledge, obtainable only for the chosen few...
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

On the other hand, it is not known how gauge blocks stick together by wringing. So to say that knowledge of the fundaments is knowledge of everything is nonsense.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream