Parity value of 0: revised argument

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Alan Masterman

Parity value of 0: revised argument

Post by Alan Masterman »

AN AXIOMATIC TEST OF PARITY VALUE

The primitive natural number line is elaborated in parallel with the axioms of arithmetic. It is defined as the series 0 – 9; 0 is further defined as "not the successor of any number", 1 as the successor of 0, 2 the successor of 1, and so on. We symbolise this relation in the function S(), which evaluates to the number next after the number given in the argument; for example, S(0)=1. So, the logical structure of the natural number line is:

0, S(0), S(S(0)), S(S(S(0))), S(S(S(S(0))))…

The interval between each number and the next is self-evidently a unity; so, it must be true that:

S(S(0)) = S(0) + S(0)

This is important because it reveals the process by which the parity values of numbers become fixed at the axiomatic level. Those like S(S(0)), which we can analyse into two similar instances of a smaller cardinality, we choose to call "even". Those which are analysable only into dissimilar instances we call "odd".

It is obvious that this process cannot assign a parity value for 0, because 0 is not the successor of any number. There are now two options.

(1) We might try to devise a new test, or a modification of this test, which can encompass all of the numbers including 0 (without straying outside the context of the axioms, because parity value is determined, as we have just seen, at the axiomatic level). The main difficulty will be that "parity" is defined as a similarity of two subsets. The number 2 = 1 + 1; the original cardinality is distributed evenly between two subsets, which thereby attain to parity, so we say 2 is "even". The number 3, on the other hand, can approach no closer to parity than 2 + 1; the subsets are an odd pair, so we say 3 is "odd". No subsets of either kind can be identified for 0, because there is no smaller number in the number line. The only way forward, perhaps, is to shift the logical goalposts and allow 0 = 0 + 0; but we see at once that 0 may be equal to ANY number of 0's – there is nothing unique or privileged about 0 = 0 + 0; so it is difficult to see how this might lead us to an intelligible proof of parity value. (It would also imply a fundamental rewrite of set theory, which does not permit division of the null set).
(2) The other option is to accept the argument from succession at face value as the sole criterion of parity value, because it is self-evidently simple, valid, and presents no logical difficulties, at the modest price of conceding that 0 is neither odd nor even.

The parity value of 0 - if it has one - is a surprisingly difficult philosophical question. To address it properly, without even guaranteeing a successful resolution, presupposes a reasonable familiarity with basic set theory and with the Dedekind/Peano axioms, which I respectfully ask respondents to bear in mind. Please do not reply with arguments lifted from THAT website.

In conclusion, may I say the reason why 0/2=0 "works" for post-axiomatic arithmetic is philosophically interesting in its own right, but does not constitute a proof of parity value.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Parity value of 0: revised argument

Post by Terrapin Station »

First, you know that we're simply talking about stuff we're making up, right?

Mathematics is a very abstract way to think about relations. We invent a language to represent the abstract (largely quantificational) way that we're thinking about relations.
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

Well, that landed like a bomb! Is there NOBODY in this forum who feels qualified to comment on the Axiom of Induction or basic set theory?

Let me make a fresh start. Why is 0/2=0 NOT a proof of evenness? Because it is an iron rule of arithmetic that for every non-zero value of n, 0/n=0. It is important to fix in mind that the proof of this theorem does NOT in any way hinge upon parity value. There is no logical connection whatsoever. So it doesn't matter a rat's patootie whether 0 is even, or odd, or has no parity value; 0/2=0 will be true in any case. Consequently, 0/2=0 can not prove evenness.

We may approach the same conclusion from another direction. Let it be given that 0 is provably odd: will 0/2=0 be rendered false thereby? To answer 'yes', is to commit oneself to argue that (for every non-zero value of n) 0/n=0 is false. To answer 'no' is to concede that 0/2=0 is equally consistent with oddness.
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

Let me append a comment upon which I would really appreciate some genuine philosophical insight: given that "zero on zero" operations are forbidden by both the Dedekind/Peano axioms and by set theory, why does 0/2=0 appear to work for post-axiomatic arithmetic? Not only does it "work", it is useful and perhaps even necessary, for everyday purposes. My own (tentative) hypothesis is that the quotient is not really 0 but Ø;

0/2 = Ø

- in other words, a null value indicating that the operation of division has failed. Since arithmetic has no criterion to distinguish between Ø and 0, we may happily continue as if the outcome were really 0.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Alan Masterman wrote: February 5th, 2022, 6:06 am Let me append a comment upon which I would really appreciate some genuine philosophical insight: given that "zero on zero" operations are forbidden by both the Dedekind/Peano axioms and by set theory, why does 0/2=0 appear to work for post-axiomatic arithmetic? Not only does it "work", it is useful and perhaps even necessary, for everyday purposes. My own (tentative) hypothesis is that the quotient is not really 0 but Ø;

0/2 = Ø

- in other words, a null value indicating that the operation of division has failed. Since arithmetic has no criterion to distinguish between Ø and 0, we may happily continue as if the outcome were really 0.
As I mentioned before, there is a problem with how central processor units work in computers, that they only permit calculation of numeric quantities. There is no way to represent null values, not any imaginary numbers, nor the sign of zero, because of they way they are built. So there is 'practical alegbra' as computers think, which assesses 0/2 as 0 to avoid error conditions, and there is 'pure algebra' which can make a distinction but which cannot be implemented in real-world machines. It exists only conceptually.
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

Good point; but is there more which could be said, ernestm, from the philosophical point of view? I say this because we've surely been using 0/2=0 successfully since long before the age of computers. I don't pretend for a moment to see my way through to the end of this question, of course.
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

Here is an arithmetical statement of the argument I began with:

- For any natural number n: subtract one unit at a time from n, so that n tends towards 0; and, up to any given step, let m be equal to the total quantity thus far subtracted.

(1) If, at some point during this procedure, it occurs that n = m, then n was initially an even number. If n attains to 0 and this condition has not occurred, then n was initially odd.
(2) If n is such that no unit can be subtracted from it (ie n = 0), then there can be no “total quantity subtracted”, and no "m" value against which we can assess parity; and so n will not attain to either odd or even.

And here is the same argument in the vocabulary of basic set theory:

- For any natural number n: from a set A of cardinality n, remove one element at a time to a separate set B.

(1) If, at some point during this procedure, it occurs that B and A can be paired in one-one relation [ie the sets are "similar"/have the same cardinality/attain to "parity"], then n is an even number.
(2) If set A is exhausted and this condition has not occurred, n is odd.
(3) If the cardinality of A is such that no element can be removed from it [ie A is the empty set], then a second set can not be created, the question of parity [of subsets] will not arise, and n will not attain to either odd or even.

It is obvious, I hope, that the argument expresses itself in purely axiomatic terms: "natural number", addition and subtraction, and the relation of similarity (=). Assuming validity, the argument has many important consequences and implications. Here are two on which I especially invite comment:

(a) The operation of division, the number 2, and the concept of “remainder” are not logically necessary to a proof of parity value. Consequently a post-axiomatic or mathematical test which relies on any or all of these - for example the "test of even divisibility by 2", with or without a remainder - can be ONLY a test and not a proof, since the required relation of logical necessity does not exist.
(b) There is a conventional belief that the evenness of 0 can be proved by a test of even divisibility (of which there are many forms). The test I have outlined above helps to blow away some of the intellectual fog surrounding this question by supporting the position that 0 is neither odd nor even.

Critique please, somebody? All comments welcome. Help me out here!

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream