How do we recognize Bad Science from Sound Science?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
RJG

How do we recognize Bad Science from Sound Science?

Post by RJG »

[Note: This question is in respect to the current global crisis - covid virus]

Firstly:

1. What is the ONLY thing that all legitimate scientists and medical experts agree on that stops the continuous perpetuation (mutations) of this virus?
- Answer: herd immunity.

2. What is herd immunity?
- Answer: Herd immunity is the protective effect resulting from immune people surrounding vulnerable people, so as to prevent the transmission of the virus from infecting the vulnerable population. If enough immune people "participate" in achieving herd immunity this will effectively eradicate the virus (and its future mutations).

3. How does one "participate" in herd immunity?
- Answer: firstly one must be immune (healthy and preferably vaccinated/or acquired natural immunity). Secondly, they must socialize unmasked around vulnerable people. To help better understand the mechanism of herd immunity, refer to the famous Mosquito Analogy.

4. What is the role of 'vaccination' in achieving herd immunity protection?
- Answer: vaccination helps give us immune people. And immune people that "participate" in achieving herd immunity give us herd immunity protection.

So then, how do we recognize Bad Science from Sound Science?

- Bad Science tells us that implementing herd immunity will result in massive deaths/hospitalizations to our vulnerable population.
- Sound Science tells us that implementing herd immunity will result in massive life saving protection to our vulnerable population.

- Bad Science advises immune people to continue to mask up and not-socialize.
- Sound Science advises immune people to unmask and freely socialize.

- Bad Science tells us that to stop this virus we need to vaccinate enough people.
- Sound Science tells us that to stop this virus we need enough immune people to "participate" in achieving herd immunity. (Vaccination without "participation" will NOT stop this virus.)

One last question:

If herd immunity is the ONLY way to stop this virus, then what are we waiting for? ...more deaths and mutations???
stevie

Re: How do we recognize Bad Science from Sound Science?

Post by stevie »

To differentiate "bad science" and "sound science" isn't appropriate. Science is science. But those persons who call themselves or are called "scientists" may be applying science and deserve to be called "scientists" or may not be applying science and not deserve to be called "scientists".
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
RJG

Post by RJG »

stevie wrote:To differentiate "bad science" and "sound science" isn't appropriate. Science is science. But those persons who call themselves or are called "scientists" may be applying science and deserve to be called "scientists" or may not be applying science and not deserve to be called "scientists".
Stevie, this is how I define these terms:

Bad Science = Science that disregards or contradicts logic.
Sound Science = Science that is logically sound.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@RJG

The problem which I see with this thread is that there is a debate about what is good and bad science, but that is a separate matter to the issue of Covid_19. So, I was rather disappointed to read this thread title and find that it was focused on vaccines and masks, especially when there have been so many threads on the topics already. This one is not saying anything new.

Also, in your post above you are arguing that bad science is that which goes against logic as opposed to that which is based on logic. The problem is that anyone can try to say that their ideas are sound logic, which is why evidence based research is important in science.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

JackDaydream wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:54 pm The problem which I see with this thread is that there is a debate about what is good and bad science, but that is a separate matter to the issue of Covid_19. So, I was rather disappointed to read this thread title and find that it was focused on vaccines and masks, especially when there have been so many threads on the topics already. This one is not saying anything new.

Also, in your post above you are arguing that bad science is that which goes against logic as opposed to that which is based on logic. The problem is that anyone can try to say that their ideas are sound logic, which is why evidence based research is important in science.
RJG starts a new thread with these same tired arguments about once a week. They go in different sub-forums, and they have different sounding titles, but it is all the same nonsense.

I don't understand how these tactics don't violate some rule of the forum. If they don't, then someone should make a rule to apply to this and then stop this game. Nobody should be able to disguise their preaching and dominate the discussion with the same ideas over and over. He has an agenda to preach this stuff and drowns out real discussions of philosophy. He has had his say. He he said "AGREED?" about 100 times and nobody has consented.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
RJG

Post by RJG »

JackDaydream
chewybrian

Hey guys, if you see a flaw in the logic, then just point it out! This is a discussion forum here. I don't mind being proven wrong, but you gotta prove me wrong; show the flaw in my logic.

And Chewy, your constant ad hominem attacks against me are forum violations. If you can't respectfully contribute to this discussion, then please GO AWAY. No one is forcing you to look at anything I post.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

RJG wrote: January 24th, 2022, 3:41 pm @JackDaydream
@chewybrian

Hey guys, if you see a flaw in the logic, then just point it out! This is a discussion forum here. I don't mind being proven wrong, but you gotta prove me wrong; show the flaw in my logic.

And Chewy, your constant ad hominem attacks against me are forum violations. If you can't respectfully contribute to this discussion, then please GO AWAY. No one is forcing you to look at anything I post.
I am not attacking you; I am attacking your tactics. I am pointing out that you are not able to back up your claims (upon which you like to stack logic so you can declare victory). You try to get us to accept wild unproven claims as the foundation for a chain of logic, and also have repetitive and deceptive 'style' in which you are posting.

Was I 'forced' to look at your post? Of course not. But, I saw the title "How do we recognize bad science from sound science?", and I was intrigued. I was hoping to read a thread that matched the title, and I'm sure that a lot of people here would have compelling and interesting answers to the alleged subject of the thread. Then I open it up to see more of the same from you. I think it is very poor sportsmanship to post the same ideas over and over with different titles in different sub-forums. Again, I don't know the first thing about you and I have no basis nor desire to attack you personally, and I don't think I am (report me if you think I am). I think your tactics are terrible.

I wouldn't even feel strongly enough to engage you on any of these ideas if they were not so dangerous, though. I have lost friends and co-workers who bought into the pseudo-science about covid and did not do the things they should have done to protect themselves. If people were not spreading misinformation, as I believe you are, some of those folks would still be alive. If you saw me post something that might get your friends or family killed, would you feel the need to speak up? If I said that motorcycle helmets caused more deaths than they prevented, and urged everyone not to wear a helmet, should the rest of you just let that pass so my feelings wouldn't be hurt?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
RJG

Post by RJG »

chewybrian wrote:You try to get us to accept wild unproven claims as the foundation for a chain of logic, and also have repetitive and deceptive 'style' in which you are posting.
"Wild unproven claims"??? Please look at what I wrote. The first 4 questions reveal obvious truthful premise statements. These are all accepted truths of science.

If you think any of these science facts are not true science facts, then don't be shy, point out the science fact that is not fact, and tell us (using logic, not insults) why this fact of science is "wildly unproven".

And the same goes with the 3 logical conclusions below that are drawn from these facts of science. If you need me to put this all in syllogism form to help you better see the valid and sound logical conclusions, then I will.

Your claim that my topic here consists of "wild unproven claims", is itself a very wild unproven claim. Again, if you think I'm wrong somewhere, point out the 'specific' error (my actual words!) and show the error in logic.

chewybrian wrote:I wouldn't even feel strongly enough to engage you on any of these ideas if they were not so dangerous, though. I have lost friends and co-workers who bought into the pseudo-science about covid and did not do the things they should have done to protect themselves.
"Dangerous"? It is "dangerous" to follow Bad Science with total disregard to simple logic and rationality. You've lost friends and co-workers specifically because you and others are 'blindly' adhering to this very Bad Science!!! We are stupidly self-destructing ourselves by following this Bad Science.

chewybrian wrote:If you saw me post something that might get your friends or family killed, would you feel the need to speak up?
That is WHY I am speaking up!!! I'm trying to make people look at this from a sound rational view. But we are emotionally (fear-driven to) following very Bad Science. You and others refusal to even look at this from a rational perspective and follow Sound Science is what has perpetuated this virus (into multi-mutations) and caused the massive destruction to lives.

Chewy, we need to keep this 'non-personal', and just argue rationally and logically. I would love to be proven wrong, but again, you got to use logic, not insults. Just because you don't like the logical conclusion does not mean that it is false. You gotta show why it is false. Prove me wrong!
Gee

Post by Gee »

@chewybrian

The flaw is that you seem to think that science and logic are the same thing -- they are not.

Logic is an internal linear examination of facts. If you do not have enough of the facts or the "facts" are wrong, then logic will draw the wrong conclusion.

Example: Since we knew that witches consort with the devil and have the ability to float, throwing them in water to test whether or not they were witches was a sound logical experiment. If they drowned, it was "Oh, sorry madam."

Example: A young boy watches the road in front of his house for a few days. His mother states that the road is dangerous and he should stay away from it. He has heard his father state that his mother is overly emotion. Since he has watched the road for days and nothing has happened, he logically concludes that his mother is too, emotional seeing danger everywhere -- the road is safe.

In both the examples above, there was missing or wrong information, so logic failed. Covid is still too new, so we do not have all the information, certainly not enough to use logic to attack scientists, who are trained to try to find answers.

Gee
stevie

Post by stevie »

RJG wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:32 pm
stevie wrote:To differentiate "bad science" and "sound science" isn't appropriate. Science is science. But those persons who call themselves or are called "scientists" may be applying science and deserve to be called "scientists" or may not be applying science and not deserve to be called "scientists".

Ok but then you have to specify "logic" and based on that specification define "logically sound".
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:32 pm

Then you are using a terrible definition. Science isn't advanced through logic, it is advanced through experimentation. Logic is to determine hypotheses (or educated guesses) which are either proven or disproved by the results of experimentation.

As long as you harp on logic in the absence of experimental proof, you haven't done any science, you're making hypotheses (guesses).
"As usual... it depends."
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

RJG wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:25 pm
chewybrian wrote:You try to get us to accept wild unproven claims as the foundation for a chain of logic, and also have repetitive and deceptive 'style' in which you are posting.
"Wild unproven claims"??? Please look at what I wrote. The first 4 questions reveal obvious truthful premise statements. These are all accepted truths of science.

If you think any of these science facts are not true science facts, then don't be shy, point out the science fact that is not fact, and tell us (using logic, not insults) why this fact of science is "wildly unproven".
https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-shifts-pande ... p_catchall

“Thinking that we’ll be able to achieve some kind of threshold where there’ll be no more transmission of infections may not be possible,” Jones acknowledged last week to members of a panel that advises the CDC on vaccines.
So, on #1, real scientists are saying that herd immunity is not a realistic goal, at least for now, and that we need to focus on what is achievable, like saving lives.

On #3, you are the only one I've seen make the claim that there is a benefit from exposing yourself to as many vaccinated people as possible. It is quite possible that vaccinated people can catch the virus and carry and spread it at any time. The danger of them being unwittingly infected and giving you the virus far exceeds the possible benefit of the shop vac effect which you evidently just made up. Get off the logic pedestal and find one source that says this claim is true. It goes beyond the bounds of imagination that you alone have stumbled upon this magic cure to the most pressing problem facing humanity while the scientists who have devoted their lives to the work have missed it. I can find a source to back up all sorts of wild unproven theories, but I could not even find one saying what you say. When you put up a wild unproven theory, it is a reasonable request to ask you to provide a source, and reasonable to disbelieve your claim if you cannot or will not.

It is not possible to teach someone what they are convinced that they already know, so I hold no hope of changing your mind about this or anything. I would point out all the other folks trying to show you that you have misplaced your faith in logic and forgotten that it is a "if..then" proposition in every case. All the logic in the world will convince nobody who can think for themselves of anything. You first must show that the premise at the bottom of the pyramid is proven true, at least beyond a reasonable doubt, before the logic means anything.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

@chewybrian

This is yet another thread that pushes your belief that covid can only be combatted by herd immunity. You assert this in your OP as if it is axiomatic, leaving no room for discussion or disagreement. It is hardly surprising that you see some reticence in accepting your unproven assertions, especially as you have presented them so many times before. The "flaw in your logic" is that you assert stuff that is not widely accepted, and which cannot easily be proven or disproven. Finally, I disagree that we, your forum fellows, must prove you wrong. In time, I dare say you might do this by yourself; no-one else can do it for you, I don't think.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Bad Science = Science that disregards or contradicts logic.
gee wrote:The flaw is that you seem to think that science and logic are the same thing -- they are not.
Not so. Science and Logic are different disciplines.

stevie wrote:Ok but then you have to specify "logic" and based on that specification define "logically sound".
"Logic" refers to deductive logic.
"Logically sound" refers to logical conclusion drawn from true premise statements with a valid argument structure.

LuckyR wrote:Then you are using a terrible definition. Science isn't advanced through logic, it is advanced through experimentation.
Science is not Logic. Logic provides us with truths (and falses). Science provide us with the premise statements (empirical data). Logic draws logical conclusions from these premise statements.

chewybrian wrote:So, on #1, real scientists are saying that herd immunity is not a realistic goal, at least for now, and that we need to focus on what is achievable, like saving lives.
You are mixing apples with oranges. You are talking about the herd immunity "threshold" value, not herd immunity "protection".

It is not "me" making claim #1, this is a well known, established fact of science.

Note: Herd immunity "protection" is not like a light switch that turns on at a prescribed level. Herd immunity "protection" is immediate protection with any number of immune people participating. The greater the participation, the greater the protection. [Refer to the Mosquito Analogy to understand the mechanics of this protection].

chewybrian wrote:On #3, you are the only one I've seen make the claim that there is a benefit from exposing yourself to as many vaccinated [vulnerable] people as possible.
Again, it is not "me" making this claim. This is a well known scientific fact. The protective effect of herd immunity (and how we get herd immunity protection) is a fact of science.

Pattern-chaser wrote:This is yet another thread that pushes your belief that covid can only be combatted by herd immunity.
Again, it is not "me" making this claim. Virtually ALL legitimate scientists and medical experts agree that 'herd immunity' is the ONLY way to stop the continuous perpetuation (mutations) and resulting deaths.

Remember, vaccinations do NOT give us herd immunity. Vaccinations help get us immune people. And immune people that "participate" in achieving herd immunity (via unmasked socialization) help gets us herd immunity.

THEREFORE, if we draw logical conclusions from well established scientific facts (premise statements) we will then see the very Bad Science that is dictating our government's covid policy.

Blindly adhering to Bad Science has created this mess; the perpetual self-destructive cycle that we are in.

It's time to wake up. And let Logic be our guide. Bad Science will doom us all.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

What part of vaccination is the best route to herd immunity you do not understand?
And why is it you fail to understand that limited health systems cannot take the accelerated route to herd immunity that you seem to think has to be sought.
IN spring of 2021when Brits were dying at the rate of 1500 per day, health services were under such pressure that backlogs for other procedures and operations are still way behind.
Without restrictions it simply would have collapsed.

Bad science is ignoring the numbers in front of your face.

Bad science is failing to recognise the impact of your choices.

Bad science is pressing on with an idea regardless of the deaths it will cause.
Last edited by Sculptor1 on January 25th, 2022, 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream