How would you Design a Humanoid ?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
SteveKlinko

Re: How would you Design a Humanoid ?

Post by SteveKlinko »

AverageBozo wrote: May 31st, 2022, 3:03 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: May 31st, 2022, 1:52 pm
AverageBozo wrote: May 31st, 2022, 12:07 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: May 31st, 2022, 11:54 am
AGI is nothing without Consciousness. Consciousness is what we are and all we are. We use our Bio Forms (Brains) as Tools to be able to move around in the Physical World. We will be Connected to AGIs someday. We will become the AGIs as the next step in Evolution. This is because Consciousness is Not the Physical Brain (Bio Tool) or any kind of Electronics (Electronics Tool). But according to Connectism, Consciousness can Connect to these various Tools if they are Designed the right way.
Ah, but there’s the rub—how do you define consciousness v how others might define it?
Yes, I don't like talking about general Consciousness either. You probably have not read much of my stuff, because I always try to immediately explain why I don't like to just say Consciousness. It is precisely because of what you say. I always like to talk about a Conscious Experience of some kind like the Experience of Redness, the Standard A Tone, the Salty Taste, etc. But a lot of times when I think everybody already knows my view on what Consciousness means to me, as stated above, I will just say Consciousness. In fact, I don't believe there really is any such thing as some generalized Consciousness that is not some sort of Conscious Experience. I ask people if they can think of anything that is not a Conscious Experience but yet is part of Consciousness and have never gotten anything back that was not a Conscious Experience after all. Can you think of anything?
No, I cannot. But the concept of CE makes me wonder why couldn’t an AI have an experience of some sort—even, say, the experience of redness—and be aware of the experience
by means of self-checking status circuits.

Mind you I am not adamant about this position. Intuitively I don’t believe that AIs can possess the capability for Conscious Experience. Yet I wonder by what reasoning is my belief correct.

Yes, I’ve been reading your posts and other’s throughout this thread. I realize now that I asked you a question when I meant to state that the rub is how you define consciousness v how others define it. I have noted your use of “Conscious Experience” where others—myself included—might be thinking about something more general and accordingly vague. But thanks for the recap.
I don't see how a Machine can have CEs, but I also don't see how the Human Brain can have CEs. There is no Scientific Explanation for how the Brain is Conscious. Let's narrow this down and just consider the Experience of Redness in the Visual Experience. Neurons Fire and we Experience Redness. This is basically an Incoherent cause and effect. Redness Exists in the Conscious Mind but Neural Activity Exists in the Physical Mind (Brain). There is no Expert or Genius on the Planet that can Explain how the Neural Activity ends up with the Experience of Redness. There is a new point of view called Connectism that helps with this problem: https://theintermind.com/#ConnectionPerspective. With Connectism, Brains as well as Machines can have CEs.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 1st, 2022, 6:54 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 31st, 2022, 8:46 am
SteveKlinko wrote: May 31st, 2022, 8:12 am My Certainty is the only Certainty there should be.
Do you really mean to claim that you are in possession of the One and Only Truth, as it appears from your text? 😮😟
SteveKlinko wrote: May 31st, 2022, 11:56 am Do you Doubt?
I doubt many things, don't you?

If you mean 'do I doubt that you are in possession of the One and Only Truth'?, then the answer is an unequivocal "yes!".

I also wonder, if not doubt, whether you are serious in what you write here, or just 'joking', and I'm failing to recognise it. 🤔
I think Connectism is a point of view that can help with the whole Consciousness problem. So I try to promote Connectism. I Question everything and Doubt many things. I also like to mess around a little bit with people.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

SteveKlinko wrote: June 1st, 2022, 7:43 am I also like to mess around a little bit with people.
Sometimes I do too. But when I do, I try my best to make it clear what I'm up to. Otherwise, they might think my 'jokes' (which are not always as funny as I hoped 😢) are to be taken seriously. This is a philosophy forum. Jokes are 'allowed', of course, but it is only fair, I think, to make their 'jokiness' clear.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

SteveKlinko wrote: June 1st, 2022, 7:36 am
AverageBozo wrote: May 31st, 2022, 12:07 pm

Ah, but there’s the rub—how do you define consciousness v how others might define it?
Yes, I don't like talking about general Consciousness either. You probably have not read much of my stuff, because I always try to immediately explain why I don't like to just say Consciousness. It is precisely because of what you say. I always like to talk about a Conscious Experience of some kind like the Experience of Redness, the Standard A Tone, the Salty Taste, etc. But a lot of times when I think everybody already knows my view on what Consciousness means to me, as stated above, I will just say Consciousness. In fact, I don't believe there really is any such thing as some generalized Consciousness that is not some sort of Conscious Experience. I ask people if they can think of anything that is not a Conscious Experience but yet is part of Consciousness and have never gotten anything back that was not a Conscious Experience after all. Can you think of anything?
No, I cannot. But the concept of CE makes me wonder why couldn’t an AI have an experience of some sort—even, say, the experience of redness—and be aware of the experience

Mind you I am not adamant about this position. Intuitively I don’t believe that AIs can possess the capability for Conscious Experience. Yet I wonder by what reasoning is my belief correct.

Yes, I’ve been reading your posts and other’s throughout this thread. I realize now that I asked you a question when I meant to state that the rub is how you define consciousness v how others define it. I have noted your use of “Conscious Experience” where others—myself included—might be thinking about something more general and accordingly vague. But thanks for the recap.
I don't see how a Machine can have CEs, but I also don't see how the Human Brain can have CEs. There is no Scientific Explanation for how the Brain is Conscious. Let's narrow this down and just consider the Experience of Redness in the Visual Experience. Neurons Fire and we Experience Redness. This is basically an Incoherent cause and effect. Redness Exists in the Conscious Mind but Neural Activity Exists in the Physical Mind (Brain). There is no Expert or Genius on the Planet that can Explain how the Neural Activity ends up with the Experience of Redness. There is a new point of view called Connectism that helps with this problem: https://theintermind.com/#ConnectionPerspective. With Connectism, Brains as well as Machines can have CEs.
Your link to Connectivism and its explanation of essentially the mind/body problem leaves me wanting an explanation.

If only I accepted one of the arguments for the existence of an Intermind, I might not have any trouble with the way that the IM works.

As I understand it, it’s tautological that the CM/PM Connection is the IM. So the IM, on one side, connects to the CM, and on the other side to the PM.

This leaves me unsatisfied regarding what goes on at each end of the Connection.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

If you were to design a humanoid, then it should be taught kindness.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

AverageBozo wrote: June 1st, 2022, 5:07 pm

Your link to Connectivism and its explanation of essentially the mind/body problem leaves me wanting an explanation.

If only I accepted one of the arguments for the existence of an Intermind, I might not have any trouble with the way that the IM works.

As I understand it, it’s tautological that the CM/PM Connection is the IM. So the IM, on one side, connects to the CM, and on the other side to the PM.

This leaves me unsatisfied regarding what goes on at each end of the Connection.
Much of philosophy is rhetorical - An attempt to explain things {consciousness, etc., etc.} by using as many words and concepts as possible so as to obscures any real truths, that may in fact be starring the so called philosopher in the face.

First, the question of whether an AI can be conscious, experience conscious experience etc. is ridiculous.

In the reality of the Pan Psychic Universe {ie. the real World, where all is, was, and always will be conscious}, not only is The AI conscious, but all that exists is, was, and always will be conscious - There is no such thing as not conscious, as there is no such thing
as non-existence, non-existence does not exist.

Am I trying to say that your computer is experiencing the World as you are? Of course not - But for anyone to say the computer is not
experiencing consciousness because of experience is false - Consciousness and experience are everywhere, always, and can not be
turned off no matter how much philosophical jargon you try to bury the existent state in - the existent state will not turn off
- And it is always conscious :idea: :arrow: :!:

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
― Max Planck

“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change”
― Max Planck
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Another thought: what would you design a humanoid for?

If space exploration is the aim, then robots capable of scientific reporting back home would seem ideal. Given that humans are ill-suited to space, cyborgs might be better, say with just enough organic brain matter to provide motivation, but no so much that it can't be protected by a synthetic body. That seems a long way off.

If designing a humanoid to perform medical or legal consultations, then a text processor or a digital avatar would be more practical than creating an intelligent robot.

If designing humanoid companions, be they platonic or erotic, then realism will matter.

Re: the OP's question:

"Can you design a Human that is better suited for the future? Can you alter the internal death wish that drives Humanity to destructive self and social tendencies to destroy his own kind - fix the evolutionary paradigm that will drive the Human species to extinction?".

UniversalAlien's vision strikes me as being further up the road, past the time when machines have usurped humans, and are themselves designing beings capable of more cooperation and grounded ethics.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 1st, 2022, 8:49 am
SteveKlinko wrote: June 1st, 2022, 7:43 am I also like to mess around a little bit with people.
Sometimes I do too. But when I do, I try my best to make it clear what I'm up to. Otherwise, they might think my 'jokes' (which are not always as funny as I hoped 😢) are to be taken seriously. This is a philosophy forum. Jokes are 'allowed', of course, but it is only fair, I think, to make their 'jokiness' clear.
I don't feel the need to continuously disclose where the jokes are. You either get it or you don't. No big deal.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

AverageBozo wrote: June 1st, 2022, 5:07 pm

The actual Mechanism is of course not known. All I can do is offer some reasons why an Inter Mind must exist. The Connectism link was a little out of context if you haven't read the website from the beginning. If you haven't already done so, try the website from the beginning at https://TheInterMind.com.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Having read much of the rest of the paper, I can now explain how the IM makes connections with the PM and CM.

There exist 2 IMMMs (InterMediate InterMind Models), IMMM-1 at one end of the IM and IMMM-2 at the other. These 2 IMMMs, respectively, convert PM to CM and CM to PM.

I can also explain how the IMMMs make their conversions by positing the existence of IIMMMs (InterInterMediateMind Models. These, of course, depend on the IIIMMMs for their functionality.

Beyond that, I can only say that IMMMs, IIMMMs and IIIMMMs deserve as much credibility and explanatory weight as anything else.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

AverageBozo wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 1:31 pm Having read much of the rest of the paper, I can now explain how the IM makes connections with the PM and CM.

There exist 2 IMMMs (InterMediate InterMind Models), IMMM-1 at one end of the IM and IMMM-2 at the other. These 2 IMMMs, respectively, convert PM to CM and CM to PM.

I can also explain how the IMMMs make their conversions by positing the existence of IIMMMs (InterInterMediateMind Models. These, of course, depend on the IIIMMMs for their functionality.

Beyond that, I can only say that IMMMs, IIMMMs and IIIMMMs deserve as much credibility and explanatory weight as anything else.
You could look at it as two Inter Minds like that, but the most important function of an Inter Mind is to convert the Neural Activity to Conscious Experience. So for me, keeping the Inter Mind as one thing that Interfaces between the PM and the CM makes more sense. But Thank You for your point of view and Thank You for taking time to read about it.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

SteveKlinko wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 9:17 am
AverageBozo wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 1:31 pm Having read much of the rest of the paper, I can now explain how the IM makes connections with the PM and CM.

You could look at it as two Inter Minds like that, but the most important function of an Inter Mind is to convert the Neural Activity to Conscious Experience. So for me, keeping the Inter Mind as one thing that Interfaces between the PM and the CM makes more sense. But Thank You for your point of view and Thank You for taking time to read about it.
So related to the nuts and bolts of the state of the art - What do you think of this :?: :

Short YouTube video on 'AI News':

Google's Terrifying Path to Artificial General Intelligence (Pathways AI)
see it here:
https://youtu.be/pBrEQThHpSI?list=PUI8g ... ILLPBrExMA
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 4th, 2022, 6:45 pm

So related to the nuts and bolts of the state of the art - What do you think of this :?: :

see it here:
Fun stuff, but what's so Terrifying? It was mostly Marketing Hype about working towards AGI.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

SteveKlinko wrote: June 5th, 2022, 7:26 am

see it here:
Fun stuff, but what's so Terrifying? It was mostly Marketing Hype about working towards AGI.
I'm not terrified either. Humans have hardly covered themselves with glory in their attempts to administer our increasingly complex societies, with increasingly complex relationships with other countries, climate change, resource scarcity, extinctions, ecosystem loss and the subsequent loss of arable lands.

I think the complexity is too much for humans, hence their increasingly poor efforts at leadership, and they could clearly use any help they can get from advanced tech. IMO, the prospect of AGI not being developed is more worrisome, because then there would seem to be little hope of alleviating the ever increasing political, social and environmental decay.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Sy Borg wrote: June 5th, 2022, 9:45 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: June 5th, 2022, 7:26 am

see it here:
I'm not terrified either. Humans have hardly covered themselves with glory in their attempts to administer our increasingly complex societies, with increasingly complex relationships with other countries, climate change, resource scarcity, extinctions, ecosystem loss and the subsequent loss of arable lands.

I think the complexity is too much for humans, hence their increasingly poor efforts at leadership, and they could clearly use any help they can get from advanced tech. IMO, the prospect of AGI not being developed is more worrisome, because then there would seem to be little hope of alleviating the ever increasing political, social and environmental decay.
I agree, we need AGI. I think AGI with a Conscious aspect would make it even better.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream