Conscious Artificial Intelligence

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
SteveKlinko

Conscious Artificial Intelligence

Post by SteveKlinko »

Artificial Intelligence is primarily implemented by a class of computer programs that can accomplish tasks that mimic Human Intelligence. Examples are things like Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Cars. With the improved computers and algorithms that we have today these kinds of computer capabilities have become increasingly more useful. But the Hype over all this is astounding. Marketing departments are trying to imply that these kinds of capabilities mean that there is an actual Conscious entity involved in the Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Car. But these are all just computer programs performing a specific task. These would have to be classified as Non-Conscious Artificial Intelligence. If Consciousness can be added to Machines then full Conscious Artificial Intelligence will be achieved.

According to the Inter Mind Model (IMM) the Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Car capabilities would reside in the Machine Physical Mind (PM) which is the computer Hardware and Software. The Machine PM serves the same purpose as our Human PM. But it seems that there is no capability for a Conscious Mind (CM) to have any Volitional effect on the Machine PM like occurs with a Human PM. The Machine PM is just mindlessly executing computer programs.

There is speculation that the Human CM might interact Volitionally with the Human PM using Quantum Mechanical effects. The Wikipedia page for Quantum Consciousness says: The Quantum Mind or Quantum Consciousness group of hypotheses propose that Classical Mechanics cannot explain Consciousness. It posits that Quantum Mechanical phenomena, such as Quantum Entanglement and Superposition, may play an important part in the Brain's function and could form the basis of an explanation of consciousness.

So we might speculate that a CM could also interact Volitionally with a Machine PM using Quantum Mechanical effects. But current technology does not allow for this in computer designs. The special connections are just not designed into the hardware at this time. We basically are not sure how to do this yet. But we have to start somewhere and the Machine Consciousness Experiment is an attempt to make such a Quantum Mechanical connection from a CM to a Machine PM.

The Quantum Mechanical connection between the CM and the PM must be a two way street. Volition allows a CM to affect a PM in order to do things in Physical Space (PSp). So in this case the connection is from the CM to the PM. A CM also needs to perceive what's going on in a PM, and therefore in PSp, so this connection must be from the PM to the CM.

For Humans, Neurons contain structures called Microtubules that operate based on Quantum Mechanical principles. If a CM (through an IM) is able to sense the state of a Human PM by sensing the state of the Microtubules then the CM might have the ability to sense all Neurons in the Human PM at the same time. For Vision the CM might be able to sense the state of the Visual Cortex areas in order to Experience what the Visual areas are currently Seeing. The CM would Experience it's own Personal Conscious Light (CL).

Maybe these Microtubules could be influenced by Quantum Fluctuations in Space-Time. So if a CM could cause a Quantum Fluctuation near a Microtubule then the CM might be able to influence the Brain in a large way if enough Microtubules are affected. This is very hypothetical but it is a logical avenue to explore.

For Machines, there are no Neurons but there are Transistors which operate on Quantum Mechanical principles. What if a CM (through an IM) could sense the state of the Transistors in an electronic circuit? A TFT Display Monitor has a Transistor at each pixel location. Maybe a CM can sense the state of all these Transistors in order to See what is currently displayed on the monitor. This is similar to how the CM senses the Visual Cortex in Humans. The Machine might then Experience it's own Personal CL similar to the Human Experience.

This situation could also work for camera chips and CMs. It may be the case that millions or billions of CMs have been experiencing what's going on in the world through Transistors for many years already. But these CMs have not had any way to affect anything in PSp because we have not designed the Volitional interfaces yet. Manufacturers are not making Androids (Robots with Consciousness) yet, just mindless Robots. But fully Conscious Androids are conceptually possible and could be a reality some day.

Since a transistor operates at the Quantum level of Physics to some extent, then maybe it could be influenced by Quantum Fluctuations in Space-Time. So if a CM can cause a Quantum Fluctuation near the device then the CM might be able to influence a circuit that is connected to the device and this circuit through amplification might be able to affect the behavior of a Machine. This would be a Volitional Interface.

The problem with Artificial Intelligence today is that Scientists are working on the Computer Processing side of things while denying that a Conscious Visual Experience, for example, would greatly improve the operation of their Machines with respect to Visual Processing. Consider that billions of years of evolutionary development produced the Conscious Visual Experience in the life forms on this planet so why do we want to deprive our Machines from using this kind of Data?
UniversalAlien

Re: Conscious Artificial Intelligence

Post by UniversalAlien »

Let's go with state of the art today:

Brain-Computer Interface: With These Devices You Can Control Machines with Your Mind | BCI explained

See YouTube video here:

https://youtu.be/6QcY7v9Kio4
Brain-computer interfaces can make a dream come true. They could help us communicate directly with machines. This technology offers fascinating possibilities. Especially in the medical field this technology can help many people. But there are also downsides. Can everyone then get access to our thoughts? We have taken a closer look at brain-computer interfaces. What do you think about brain-computer interfaces?

So we see that consciousness {remember there is no universally accepted definition of consciousness} can communicate directly
with computer machines now - How long before consciousness can stand alone in the machine :?:

In your opinion 'possible' or 'inevitable' :?:
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

UniversalAlien wrote: May 27th, 2022, 6:19 pm Let's go with state of the art today:

Brain-Computer Interface: With These Devices You Can Control Machines with Your Mind | BCI explained

See YouTube video here:

https://youtu.be/6QcY7v9Kio4
Brain-computer interfaces can make a dream come true. They could help us communicate directly with machines. This technology offers fascinating possibilities. Especially in the medical field this technology can help many people. But there are also downsides. Can everyone then get access to our thoughts? We have taken a closer look at brain-computer interfaces. What do you think about brain-computer interfaces?

So we see that consciousness {remember there is no universally accepted definition of consciousness} can communicate directly
with computer machines now - How long before consciousness can stand alone in the machine :?:

In your opinion 'possible' or 'inevitable' :?:
But Consciousness is not communicating Directly to the Machines. Consciousness needs to make the right Neurons Fire and then the Machine detects the Neurons Firing and then can do things. So Consciousness, by way of the Neurons, is Communicating with Machines. Neurons are not Consciousness. I want to skip the Neurons and have Consciousness directly Communicate with the Machines. But I think BCI is a great technology that will be a tremendous aid for the handicapped. I'm a little skeptical that it will be anything more than a novelty for non handicapped applications. But I am open minded about that.

Yes, Science does not know what Consciousness is yet, so you need to make some Speculations and go from there. I Speculate (I call it Connectism) that there is a separate Physical Mind (Brain) and a separate Conscious Mind, each existing in there own Realms, of Physical Space and Conscious Space respectively. For Consciousness to stand alone in the Machine, Science will need to have a change of perspective on the problem. They need to first understand Connectism. If you are interested please visit: https://theintermind.com/#ConnectionPerspective
User07
New Trial Member

Post by User07 »

This is interesting. I have come across several similar articles that speak about conscious AI and its spread.
Ever since I was introduced to the ai services and their applications, in my job domain, I was on the edge of my seat. I wish to share some other video URLs here that I came across related to the same topic.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

User07 wrote: June 14th, 2022, 3:01 am This is interesting. I have come across several similar articles that speak about conscious AI and its spread.
Ever since I was introduced to the ai services and their applications, in my job domain, I was on the edge of my seat. I wish to share some other video URLs here that I came across related to the same topic.
Here's another one that is related to the OP: https://theintermind.com/#ConsciousnessTransfer.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

:idea: :arrow:
THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS:

1. What happens when our computers get smarter than we are? | Nick Bostrom

See 16min Ted Talks video here:

https://youtu.be/MnT1xgZgkpk
Artificial intelligence is getting smarter by leaps and bounds — within this century, research suggests, a computer AI could be as "smart" as a human being. And then, says Nick Bostrom, it will overtake us: "Machine intelligence is the last invention that humanity will ever need to make." A philosopher and technologist, Bostrom asks us to think hard about the world we're building right now, driven by thinking machines. Will our smart machines help to preserve humanity and our values — or will they have values of their own?
"OR"

The Borg:
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS :idea: :arrow: :!:
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 20th, 2022, 5:15 pm :idea: :arrow:
THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS:

1. What happens when our computers get smarter than we are? | Nick Bostrom

See 16min Ted Talks video here:

https://youtu.be/MnT1xgZgkpk
Artificial intelligence is getting smarter by leaps and bounds — within this century, research suggests, a computer AI could be as "smart" as a human being. And then, says Nick Bostrom, it will overtake us: "Machine intelligence is the last invention that humanity will ever need to make." A philosopher and technologist, Bostrom asks us to think hard about the world we're building right now, driven by thinking machines. Will our smart machines help to preserve humanity and our values — or will they have values of their own?
"OR"

The Borg:
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS :idea: :arrow: :!:
Consciousness is the missing element in all these discussions. Our different Conscious Minds already exist in the same collective Conscious Space. We already are the Borg and we don't realize it. Super AI will also get it's Consciousness from the same Conscious Space. There is no separate Evil Super AI Conscious Space, there is only Conscious Space. Also, without Consciousness AI is nothing but a Machine. No Desires, no Evil Anger, no Nothing, but mindless code running.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

So all the Hype about faster and faster Computers and bigger and bigger Neural Nets and Billions and Billions of Computations is Irrelevant without Consciousness. When they start talking about how they are going to Connect with Consciousness then I'll be more impressed. The general attitude of the researchers (if they even think Consciousness is a real thing) is that Consciousness is just automatically going to appear by virtue of the Physical Hardware and Computations. This is completely Naïve and Incoherent. Consciousness must be intentionally Connected to the AI. This means no Conscious AI before we know more about Consciousness. Consciousness is the thing Science should be Studying and Researching.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

SteveKlinko wrote:
Consciousness is the missing element in all these discussions. Our different Conscious Minds already exist in the same collective Conscious Space. We already are the Borg and we don't realize it. Super AI will also get it's Consciousness from the same Conscious Space. There is no separate Evil Super AI Conscious Space, there is only Conscious Space. Also, without Consciousness AI is nothing but a Machine. No Desires, no Evil Anger, no Nothing, but mindless code running.
So all the Hype about faster and faster Computers and bigger and bigger Neural Nets and Billions and Billions of Computations is Irrelevant without Consciousness. When they start talking about how they are going to Connect with Consciousness then I'll be more impressed. The general attitude of the researchers (if they even think Consciousness is a real thing) is that Consciousness is just automatically going to appear by virtue of the Physical Hardware and Computations. This is completely Naïve and Incoherent. Consciousness must be intentionally Connected to the AI. This means no Conscious AI before we know more about Consciousness. Consciousness is the thing Science should be Studying and Researching.
That research and speculation has been going on long before the age of modern AI and its hyper ability to compute and 'play games'
even without any consciousness.

And of course AI in science - already used to analyze data - Could you now program your unconscious machine to analyze consciousness,
to analyze you :?:

Aren't we priming a super calculating machine to think for itself :?:

I understand you are saying it does not have a self like you do - Probably true for the moment.

But again I ask what stops this machine from awareness - And if it is aware {meaning it can perceive like all Human type senses} and can
calculate all Human type thinking- And once aware then becoming conscious :?:

The machine today can mimic most all aspects of Human consciousness - as a reflection,
What, if anything, stops it from using its power :?:

I know what you are saying its inert matter without desire, no will to be, no wants.

"But what stops the machine from 'self awareness' :?: Where did your self come from :?:

You weren't born with much conscious awareness were you? - And yet through programming you have become much more conscious.

With computers and Ai You know and I know, because there is ego, money and power involved, there are people tryiing to do this right now {wake the machine up, so to speak}
- Are you sure it is impossible :?:

And what us soothsayers of the apocalypse are trying to convey is once the cat is out of the bag, it may be impossible to stop :?: :!:

And if Humans think they are playing with a cat, it may be too late when they find out it was a Dragon in disguise :idea:
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 3:36 am SteveKlinko wrote:
That research and speculation has been going on long before the age of modern AI and its hyper ability to compute and 'play games'
even without any consciousness.

And of course AI in science - already used to analyze data - Could you now program your unconscious machine to analyze consciousness,
to analyze you :?:
The Machine would need to be Connected to Consciousness in order to analyze Consciousness.
You cannot Program any aspect of Consciousness.
UniversalAlien wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 3:36 am Aren't we priming a super calculating machine to think for itself :?:

I understand you are saying it does not have a self like you do - Probably true for the moment.

But again I ask what stops this machine from awareness - And if it is aware {meaning it can perceive like all Human type senses} and can
calculate all Human type thinking- And once aware then becoming conscious :?:
Awareness is a Conscious Experience. Simulating Sense Perceptions does not create Conscious Experiences of the Senses.
UniversalAlien wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 3:36 am The machine today can mimic most all aspects of Human consciousness - as a reflection,
What, if anything, stops it from using its power :?:
Mimicking Consciousness does not create Consciousness. No matter how realistically a Robot laughs, there is no Experience of humor going on inside.
UniversalAlien wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 3:36 am I know what you are saying its inert matter without desire, no will to be, no wants.

"But what stops the machine from 'self awareness' :?: Where did your self come from :?:

You weren't born with much conscious awareness were you? - And yet through programming you have become much more conscious.

With computers and Ai You know and I know, because there is ego, money and power involved, there are people tryiing to do this right now {wake the machine up, so to speak}
- Are you sure it is impossible :?:

And what us soothsayers of the apocalypse are trying to convey is once the cat is out of the bag, it may be impossible to stop :?: :!:

And if Humans think they are playing with a cat, it may be too late when they find out it was a Dragon in disguise :idea:
These kind of questions always puzzle me. I would counter by saying: What on Earth would give you the thought that Machines can have Self Awareness? I do software and I know that there is nothing more happening inside a Computer than Shift Left, Shift Right, Add, Sub, Mult, AND, OR, XOR, Move Data, Compare, Jump, and a few more. Which one of those instructions is Conscious? There is no Coherent argument that Executing a sequence of these real fast makes Consciousness happen. I reject the pure Religious Belief that executing these Instructions in any sequence or speed creates Consciousness. How? Why would it? It does not even make Sense. What would be the Logic of expecting it?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream