Cosmolosophy: What carries on after a self no longer associa

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Jeff Vale

Cosmolosophy: What carries on after a self no longer associa

Post by Jeff Vale »

The Tenets of Cosmolosophy Continued:
What carries on after a self no longer associates?

I have been much perplexed on this question these last few weeks. There has been a number of considerations swirling around in my head that involve it. At least one has seemed quite contradictory.

Consider, for instance, the situation of a self no longer functioning because the meat underneath can no longer replicate. If we accept the notion that this self started a vector of association that created another reality for a new universe which, one would assume, eventually creates the loving structure for a growing population of new singular associators, wouldn't its cessation suddenly stop the reality that the new associators were creating their new realities in? And if that were the case, wouldn't you suddenly have a geometrically expanding, cascade of cessation? One would think, if that were the case, that the recursive question-answer engine the entirety is would collapse to a complete halt fairly quickly. It hasn't of course, so that leaves the question of how to reconcile the logical inconsistency.

In thinking about this I kept going back to the idea of momentum. What is momentum in the bigger picture? Sure, we think in terms of applying a force to an object so that it's velocity changes relative to us, thus giving it momentum. Apply another quantity of force in a vector directly opposite of the first and the momentum can be reduced to zero again. In the bigger picture, though, momentum is more complicated. How could it not be when it and energy and mass are so interrelated.

Sometimes, when you come upon a seeming contradiction, you just have to put the various elements up on the old white board and see what your mind can link together. So let's review: Energy is neither created nor destroyed. Energy, mass and momentum are different expressions of the same thing. Structure is energy and energy is structure. Even space-time is structure, therefore space-time is also energy. The whole thing exists as a means to transfer meaning; at least in essence. It has to be thus because of the need for bounded elements and gap to make information possible in the first place. And of course, for the information probabilities to be realized, there needs to be a singular point of association. This singularity starts the expansion of association along a new vector of space-time; a new vector of structured energy if you will. Does that expanding structure cease simply because the original point of reference is no longer directly associating in its source reality?

You can probably see what has been a common viewpoint in this. If energy is neither created or destroyed, and our consciousness is energy, then we never really die, right? Something carries on and it is usually referred to as spirit. People usually make the previous statement, though, with little deep conviction (at least in my experience). It has, I think, been a hard thing to connect to viscerally; energy and consciousness being so abstractly connected most of the time. I believe, however, that Cosmolosophy gives us a way to understand spirit in a whole new way.

And this, of course, is where momentum comes in. It is more than just momentum though. Momentum in the bigger picture is the never ending process of transfer. We can see this in our original example. Applying force to an object is simply transferring structure from the object to space-time. And when we do that we change the meaning of the object relative to us (a meaning we just happen to call velocity at this scale of consideration). We change the meaning again when we transfer structure in the opposite direction. We have the expansion of this space-time structure in the first place because of the many different structural transfers taking place in the conceptual frame work of the associator whose consciousness forms our reality. As new ideas and object relationships take form in this consciousness, more and more space-time structure is created. This occurs at different scales of consideration, naturally, and along quite significantly different asynchronous time lines (they are, after all, different association vectors). The important point to remember, however, is that there must be, in my opinion, influence of one scale to another. There must also, in my opinion, be a point where the new associations, and their meanings, within the scale of the now expanding new reality, take on a continuing impetus of their own.

Does this not create a wondrous conundrum? How much of what we think, do and feel, transfers to the reality our consciousness creates at this other scale of consideration? How much of what occurs within that new reality transfers back to us? If we are full of wonder, imagination, openness and engagement, do we create a reality where magic really does happen? If we are closed, narrow in viewpoint, and bitter in general nature, do we create a much more cold and bleak sort of reality? I ask these questions because I can't help but feel that it imparts (or at least suggests) a great deal of what our spirit consists of. It also might explain not only why spirit continues on, but why some spirits actually come back to a singularity again.

I think this is why Meleagar's take on Story, Theme and poetic expression had such an effect on me. It presents an excellent metaphor for explaining spirit. One could easily think in terms of our lives being a story that is told indirectly to the reality at this different scale of consideration. And the way we live our lives forms the Theme that reality will take on as a guiding principle to its norms of association. And the amalgam of stories that reality then shapes will become the expression of our spirit going forward after we stop associating ourselves. Our spirit can then be seen both as what we where, but also the possibility for ongoing story that we shaped in very real terms. In this sense, having your story retold takes on a significant new meaning and importance.

In as much as structure interacting with structure creates more structure. And that structure and mass are the same thing, the more engaging and interactive a universe is, the more likely it will accumulate the mass necessary to counter limitless expansion after the initial singularity; coming back to that same (but still a bit different I suspect) point of reference. In this vein perhaps the Hindus have it wrong. Perhaps living a good (as in loving, nurturing, imaginative and open) life isn't meant to get us to any kind of final ascension; whereupon we exist in some more refined plane of existence. Rather it is that we are meant to come back and keep the possibility of good stories going. Perhaps it is precisely those kinds of Themes that make not only the best realities, but the best way to transfer meaning and momentum.

Transfer, meaning and momentum. I can't help but think that they form another important trinity. Perhaps it is that Love is one form of this trinity. Or maybe it's that Love is only one or two of them. I have already stated that Love and Mind form essential elements of the entirety. Certainly Mind could encompass the Question-Answer engine part of things. I have to believe, however, that it is Love that keeps at least transfer going (through the elemental embrace and the need to exchange). It is also why my faith lies in the hope that the telling of my story will keep these kinds of links together.
Dewey
Premium Member

Re: Cosmolosophy: What carries on after a self no longer ass

Post by Dewey »

Jeff Vale wrote:The Tenets of Cosmolosophy Continued:
What carries on after a self no longer associates?

I have been much perplexed on this question these last few weeks.

Jeff, you’re perplexity is nothing compared to mine. Yours, however, is excusable. Mine is not. It’s probably my own fault that I have virtually no idea of what you folks are talking about. Allow me and perhaps others to catch up a bit. A suggestion or two, perhaps?

Should I start by studying the Tenets of Cosmolosophy to which you refer? If so, where is this collection of principles? I have searched the philosophic literature and found nothing, not even in the field of metaphysical science (to this novice, an oxymoron). I can't even find any mention of the term “cosmolosophy”.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Jeff Vale

A Reply to Dewey

Post by Jeff Vale »

Dewey:

I hope you can forgive the fact that I have not made it more clear that Cosmolosophy is an idea that I have been formulating in "E-Time." (as to say internet realtime). It is a distilation of over forty years of considering the why's and what for's of our existence. I called it Cosmolosophy because I wanted a clear indication that it attempts to employ cosmology as its foundation. The tenets that you see presented in the various Philosophy of Science topics are insights finally crystalizing in my mind. I write them down as soon as the words come to me and then post them. I am hoping that, both individually, and as a mosaic, the expressions presented provide a useful, and engaging, framework with which to think about the why's and what for's of our existence. Something that a questioning mind can have to hang a spiritual and faith based hat on without there necessarily being a deity involved.

I should also point out that there will soon be a Cosmolosophy web page. I want to emphasize, however, that this page will never have advertisements on it. Nor will it ever ask for donations of any kind. I want there to be no doubt or confusion about what motivates me to do this. The bottom line is simply that I have to do it. I am going to keep it up as long as I am both materially and spiritually able. I stumble over what feels to me to be meaningful insights and I simply have to express them. I am hoping that this new page will be an ongoing forum for asking good questions about what constitutes Loving Structure. Much as this good site is, only more focused I think.

In any case, if ever there is a question you have about Cosmolosophy, ask it here, on the new site, or send me a personal email. I love questions and I look forward to getting a lot of them.
prodygi

Post by prodygi »

wouldn't its cessation suddenly stop the reality that the new associators were creating their new realities in? And if that were the case, wouldn't you suddenly have a geometrically expanding, cascade of cessation? One would think, if that were the case, that the recursive question-answer engine the entirety is would collapse to a complete halt fairly quickly. It hasn't of course, so that leaves the question of how to reconcile the logical inconsistency.
Perhaps that would tip that universe into Big Crunch mode and causality would run in reverse as entropy decreased as time passed...

I really think I'm in the same boat as Dewey on this subject but it sounds fascinating. I have just now found your posts and am enjoying them tremendously. Please could you explain more on Loving Structure? And if you ever get your Cosmolosophy site active please be sure to let me know.
He so buried himself in his books that he spent the nights...and the days...[reading]; and so, from little sleep and much reading, his brains dried up and he lost his wits. ~~~Don Quixote

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream