When Will Science End?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Typist

When Will Science End?

Post by Typist »

When will science reach it's conclusion?

How long will be until the leading scientists hold a press conference to say...

"Ok, we're done, we've learned it all."

When will science end?

100 years?

1,000 years?

10,000 years?

Longer?
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Re: When Will Science End?

Post by A Poster He or I »

There is the apocryphal story of Lord Kelvin--Britain's premier spokesman for science of the late 19th century--pronouncing that science had discovered all that there was to be discovered in terms of fundamentals--nothing was left to be done except refinement. Yet even he later mentioned the "two black clouds" on the horizon of physics, but he was certain that they would be cleared up before long.

Those two black clouds, namely, the failure of the Michelson-Morely experiment to find the luminiferous aether, and the black-body radiation problem, led to Relativity theory and quantum theory respectively, revolutionizing physics and subsuming everything that came before.

Science will only end when the sponsors of science declare scientists to be priests and begin presenting science as dogma. Until then, the pursuit of science will yield an ever broadening Unknown, exactly as it should, spurring science onward. Only dogma ends the Unknown, replacing it with the Unknowable.
Vaishak Nambiar
Favorite Philosopher: Arthur schopenhauer

Post by Vaishak Nambiar »

Hi,

I wish it won't end till the world and the monkeys who inhabits in this earth end together! Scientists and great filmmakers/comic book writers/visualizers are two genre of people who are responsible for the good things in the world ! I don't want them to end that fast ! that's my wish
Philohof
Favorite Philosopher: Jose Ortega y Gasset

Post by Philohof »

Hasn't science already ended?

I mean, in every brochure of science foundations I read in the forewords that science is important to strenghten the competitiveness of our national economy. What I never read is, that we are doing science because we want to know more.

This is why I deduce that science has already ended. It has been replaced by "research and development of new products".
"The only thing I want is that things should be there for people, and not people for things." (Theodor W. Adorno) Philosophers (people) are there for (the discipline of) philosophy (thing), forgetting about the questions of the people.
Typist

Post by Typist »

If you will pardon this thread bump...

The reason I asked the question was is that it speaks to the relationship we have to what we already know.

Consider two assertions:

1) Knowledge development accelerates as it progresses. That is, the more pieces of a jigsaw puzzle one has in place, the faster the rest of the puzzle can be completed.

2) Science won't end for a very long time. We will keep learning new things for centuries at the very least.

If we multiply accelerating knowledge development over a very long period, we can see that what we know now is a tiny almost immeasurable fraction of what can be known.

Imagine that I've just read the first paragraph of the Physics 101 textbook. Am I in a position to start coming to conclusions about physics? I'm proposing that is the position we are currently in, in relationship to what can be known.

If this is true (feel free to argue otherwise) what are the implications?
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I loved this question, very interesting. I believe scientific advancement can be viewed as a tree pattern, the more topics that are uncovered, the more topics will then spring afresh from that. Until every single one of these avenues of discovery if 'discovered' and then understood... Science will not end, just the other day, new evidence for the higgs boson particle was discovered in the hadron collider, the idea of a 'god particle' was ridiculed by many and now it's being proven to exist. I wonder how many new ideas and theories will emerge from this?
Typist

Post by Typist »

TheMonk wrote: I believe scientific advancement can be viewed as a tree pattern, the more topics that are uncovered, the more topics will then spring afresh from that. Until every single one of these avenues of discovery if 'discovered' and then understood...
Yes, it's hard to imagine the end of knowledge development, isn't it? Well, of course, assuming we don't kill ourselves off, get hit by an asteroid etc. As you say, the more we learn, the more it seems there is to learn. Science isn't crossing things off the list, but adding things to the list.
Science will not end, just the other day, new evidence for the higgs boson particle was discovered in the hadron collider, the idea of a 'god particle' was ridiculed by many and now it's being proven to exist. I wonder how many new ideas and theories will emerge from this?
I need to learn more about the Higgs. The label "god particle" is surely intriguing.

Everything we think we currently know, we may not know at all. That seems fascinating. As example, at one time we were absolutely certain that the Earth was flat and at the center of all reality. It was so obvious, anybody could literally see it for themselves. And it was utterly wrong. One wonders how many more of these kind of changes in understanding are coming.
stormy phillips

Post by stormy phillips »

I will give this a guess....at the beginning, where the end is....I guess.
Men are not disturbed by things, but the view they take of things.....Epictetus
Hypedupturtle
Favorite Philosopher: John Berger + Nietzsche +Jung

Post by Hypedupturtle »

How can we say? Even if we learn everything about this universe, what's to say there aren't more mysteries in distant/alternate universes? If the cosmos are expanding limitlessly, who's to say they can't be potentially limitless? Who's to say there is an end to anything? What if science proves that there can never be an end of anything (string theories, etc.)?

The answer is impossible to give, and I'm personally of the belief that if the same question is asked in 10,000 years time, the answer will be the same.
Typist

Post by Typist »

Hypedupturtle wrote:The answer is impossible to give, and I'm personally of the belief that if the same question is asked in 10,000 years time, the answer will be the same.
Thanks for your reply Hypedupturtle. If science is still hard at work in 10,000 years, what does that say about what we know now? Do we actually know anything?

As just one example....

We assume that science will continue for a very long time. But what occurs upon more thought, is that science as a knowledge development system will likely be replaced by other systems of thought. Religion used to be the recognized authority on everything, and has been largely replaced by science, really only in the last 500 years or so.

So, just as science replaced religion as the main method of inquiry, it seems reasonable to guess science too will be replaced in time.

Do you see what I'm getting at? We assume science is "the way", but it may be only an early step in a series of steps, which are incomprehendable to us now. These subsequent stages may reveal that everything we think we know now is a joke, just as we discovered that the earth is not flat and at the center of the universe, even though that seemed blatantly obvious at one time, for a very long time.

If our imagination can carry us that far, then a different perspective may emerge. Everything we're arguing about now may be pointless. Imagine earlier people's arguing about how far away the edge of the earth is. For centuries people probably sat around the campfire saying stuff like....

"The edge is 100 miles away!"

"No, it's 50 miles!"

"It could be as much as 500 miles!"

"No, that's ridiculous, nobody could walk that far, you're a moron."

And so on....

And it was all over nothing.

How much of what we debate today is all over nothing?
Hypedupturtle

Post by Hypedupturtle »

I think you're thinking more about the word itself than the actual connotations behind it. No matter what we believe in, we call it science. The word science actually derives from the original Latin "scrire" which means literally "to know". To say that what we believe, we think we know is obvious. Therefore no matter whether it's religion, right, wrong, unimportant - it's still a form of science. Therefore I'd have to argue that no matter what perspectives emerge, it's still a pursuit for knowledge and therefore still "science", or the concept is the same at least. Whether science becomes "scieg", "scintos" or even "blargh" in the future evolution of language is unimportant because the concept will still be "the search for/study of knowledge."

For example, you say that we discovered that the earth is not flat. Regardless of universal truth, that, to the majority of people at the time of common belief was still assumed to be correct "science", just as when it was disproved by another "truth", that was equally just another example of science changing. And so this continual wheel of discovery, re-discovery, correction and proof-searching has rolled ever-on throughout humanities' brief stay on the planet, and I can quite honestly see it continuing indefinitely.

I think the real question here is "can knowledge ever end" to which I'd answer no. Even if one human theoretically managed to divine and empirically catalogue every single fact and possibility that there ever has or shall be (in itself unlikely), things will still be forgotten to the mists of time as the generations roll on and miss various facets of the previous generations' learnings (be they correct or incorrect.)

How much we debate over nothing actually made me laugh, because ironically in itself, a lot of the things I spend my time debating or pondering never will actually affect my life, and are to all intents and purposes "nothing" :P
Typist

Post by Typist »

Therefore no matter whether it's religion, right, wrong, unimportant - it's still a form of science. Therefore I'd have to argue that no matter what perspectives emerge, it's still a pursuit for knowledge and therefore still "science", or the concept is the same at least. Whether science becomes "scieg", "scintos" or even "blargh" in the future evolution of language is unimportant because the concept will still be "the search for/study of knowledge."
Well, ok, this is sort of a semantic argument.

1) I'm not passionate about this, but to me, it's helpful that words have commonly recognized meanings. To call religion science, is to call science religion, and so on.

2) The search for/study of knowledge can not be assumed as a permanent enterprise. Thousands of years is a very long time, especially given that everything is speeding up. Assuming the search for data is to remain within the scientific mindset, which can not be assumed to be a permanent enterprise.
And so this continual wheel of discovery, re-discovery, correction and proof-searching has rolled ever-on throughout humanities' brief stay on the planet, and I can quite honestly see it continuing indefinitely.
That's what interests me, indefinite continuation of development.

If we could reasonably state the this development would only last another 150 years and then be complete, then we could state with some confidence that the procedures we use now would remain in place and be used to complete the job.

But when we begin to contemplate indefinite development, seemingly without a conceivable end. a different larger picture emerges.
I think the real question here is "can knowledge ever end" to which I'd answer no.
What if what we think of as knowledge development, the collection and analysis of data etc, is just one phase in a long line of emerging procedures? As example, to some degree at least, knowledge development has replaced the earlier system, religious faith.
How much we debate over nothing actually made me laugh, because ironically in itself, a lot of the things I spend my time debating or pondering never will actually affect my life, and are to all intents and purposes "nothing" :P
What a perfect statement! That's part of what I'm trying to get at. If we use reason to conclude that we probably currently don't really know much of anything, then laughter is the only logical outcome of intellectual debate. All the deadly seriousness may melt away, and be replaced with joy. Talking, just for the fun of talking.

If intellectually oriented forum users were to come to this conclusion, then all the nothing, would become a significant something.
Hypedupturtle

Post by Hypedupturtle »

Typist wrote: 1) I'm not passionate about this, but to me, it's helpful that words have commonly recognized meanings. To call religion science, is to call science religion, and so on.
I'd generally agree, but I had to call that out because you were coming ever so close to stating that religion was somehow nugatory by comparison to modern science. However in philosophy I've learned that the best way to debate is to see all language as irrelevant and de-construct it to its separate concepts. I still do feel that science is just the search for knowledge, and therefore is totally synonymous, would you not agree?
2) The search for/study of knowledge can not be assumed as a permanent enterprise. Thousands of years is a very long time, especially given that everything is speeding up. Assuming the search for data is to remain within the scientific mindset, which can not be assumed to be a permanent enterprise.
Why can it not? Why can it not be limitless? Why can knowledge not be limitless? Why does it have to have a cap, end, completion? Surely in every-day life, you learn one thing that leads you on to ponder other intricate possibilities which you then study and deduce before adding to your collection of "knowledge". Without having learned the original fact, you would never have been prompted to consider the following possibilities, and could quite easily have stood there and told me that you had reached the end of that "line of thought" which to your mind would have been completion of knowledge. Knowledge, and therefore science is totally causal, dependant on prior findings and ideas that can then be critiqued, proven, dis-proven or expanded upon. Look at the recent example of Neutrinos travelling faster than light. Until that point, we hadn't ever seriously considered the possibility of another dimension, yet here we are with it being presented as a realistic possibility. My point, if you'll excuse the warbling is that how can we ever know where something is until we have evidence, or stimuli of it? The same is very much true of knowledge - how can it ever end, for always humanity will find another question that piques their interest and so drives them to begin the scientific study of it and it's connotations, which in turn lead to another idea which quite possibly conflicts with the first, which in turn calls into question everything previously assumed.
Thousands of years is a very long time.
I'd personally disagree :) A somewhat peurile and jejune example is the Bible - after nearly 2000 years millions of people worldwide still radically believe in a book that encourages the blasphemic cannibalism of a (to my mind) fictional character (during the eucharist ritual.) All of our "scientific advancement", and still a major portion of our populace believe that as truth (which I don't condemn, merely disagree with.)
If we could reasonably state the this development would only last another 150 years and then be complete, then we could state with some confidence that the procedures we use now would remain in place and be used to complete the job.
I don't think we can ever do that for reasons I've mentioned above. If we're not exploring the distant pastures of the universe, we're tampering with what we already have or seeking to re-discover that which has been lost to us. Development is a very broad word, and definitely doesn't just point chronologically forwards.
But when we begin to contemplate indefinite development, seemingly without a conceivable end. a different larger picture emerges.
I totally agree with that - those are my personal feelings. An example could be given of viruses, which are constantly evolving and changing. Can we ever "complete" science in order to master them? I personally think not, unless we find some way to eradicate them (which may do more biological harm than good to the ecosystem of the planet.) Also, as I referenced in an earlier post, if the universe is constantly expanding, or constantly changing, then how can we ever know everything about it/them and therefore have "completed" our developmental understanding of science?
As example, to some degree at least, knowledge development has replaced the earlier system, religious faith.
Not totally however, and as a budding psychologist I tremulously assert my belief that it never will (though I'm afraid that's another debate altogether.)
If intellectually oriented forum users were to come to this conclusion, then all the nothing, would become a significant something.
Whilst joy can unite, I don't think even a united body could ever "fill in all the blanks". I personally see the "nothing" in my life as great fun, not only because it gives me a reason to use my noggin but also because it allows me the ability to think and talk and debate in the search for truth. Even, hypothetically, if humanity did reach a state of scientific completion, the majority of people need something to work towards and believe in, and would likely turn to religion or merely continue searching the "nothingness" for truths in the unprovable maelstrom of faith.
Typist

Post by Typist »

I still do feel that science is just the search for knowledge, and therefore is totally synonymous, would you not agree?
Well ok, yes, both science and religion at their heart are an attempt to understand reality. Is that what you mean? They use different methods in their inquiry, thus the different names. Fair enough?
Why can it not? Why can it not be limitless? Why can knowledge not be limitless? Why does it have to have a cap, end, completion?
I'm not arguing it must end. I'm suggesting the scientific method, collecting and analyzing data with reason etc, may be replaced by some other system of development, which we can't imagine now.

Pick any religion. Will it last forever? History says no.

Pick anything at all. Will it last forever. History tells us no.

So why would science, as we understand it, go on forever?

So I'm raising the wild speculation :D that science may be a phase, which leads to something else in time. I say this because, everything is a phase which leads to something else in time.

Just as we shouldn't assume we know anything now, that would include not knowing the best development system, at this very young age in our civilization career.
My point, if you'll excuse the warbling is that how can we ever know where something is until we have evidence, or stimuli of it? The same is very much true of knowledge - how can it ever end, for always humanity will find another question that piques their interest and so drives them to begin the scientific study of it and it's connotations, which in turn lead to another idea which quite possibly conflicts with the first, which in turn calls into question everything previously assumed.
You could of course be right. My crystal ball generally only works about 48 hours forward. :D However, you are proposing something seemingly permanent. As we stretch the time scale out in to the future, this becomes an ever shakier proposition. If we're talking hundreds of years, ok, I can see it. But thousands of years?
A somewhat peurile and jejune example is the Bible - after nearly 2000 years millions of people worldwide still radically believe in a book that encourages the blasphemic cannibalism of a (to my mind) fictional character (during the eucharist ritual.) All of our "scientific advancement", and still a major portion of our populace believe that as truth (which I don't condemn, merely disagree with.)
The stability of Christianity is indeed a fascinating topic. But given that you believe as you do, you probably don't envision this religion continuing forever, right? After all, no religion ever has.

What I'm arguing is that science too, while being incredibly useful to us today, is also likely not perfect, not permanent.
Also, as I referenced in an earlier post, if the universe is constantly expanding, or constantly changing, then how can we ever know everything about it/them and therefore have "completed" our developmental understanding of science?
Oh, that one is easy. Just step in to the time machine, due to be released in June of 2367. (Except by then it will be called Narg of 34987.)
Not totally however, and as a budding psychologist I tremulously assert my belief that it never will (though I'm afraid that's another debate altogether.)
Never is a long time, but I'm in general agreement. Religion has proven itself to be very durable.
Hypedupturtle

Post by Hypedupturtle »

Typist wrote: Well ok, yes, both science and religion at their heart are an attempt to understand reality. Is that what you mean?
Yep :)
I'm not arguing it must end. I'm suggesting the scientific method, collecting and analyzing data with reason etc, may be replaced by some other system of development, which we can't imagine now.
Definitely a possibility, but one that I can't see catching on; Humanity is cynical - it always looks for proof, and only reverts to faith if it can find none or its proof is consistently attacked for being unreliable yet still wants to believe. That may possibly change, I don't pretend to know enough to state that it definitely won't, but I personally believe it's ingrained upon our genetic make-up. We search for a cause to every effect - even on a biological level (our nerves tell us that damage has occured and we therefore seek the cause, being an example.) There is very little I can think of besides basic primal instincts (hunger, sexual arousal, etc.) that we seek no cause for and merely accept without question. I think science is a part of that need to find the stimuli for every event and visa versa.
So I'm raising the wild speculation :D that science may be a phase, which leads to something else in time. I say this because, everything is a phase which leads to something else in time.
Sure, I can go with the possibility, yet I don't necessarily think the probability is that high.
You could of course be right. My crystal ball generally only works about 48 hours forward. :D
Don't they all? :P
However, you are proposing something seemingly permanent. As we stretch the time scale out in to the future, this becomes an ever shakier proposition. If we're talking hundreds of years, ok, I can see it. But thousands of years?
I don't know, I think due to "time erosion" and the number of new questions/theories that every single current scientific discovery inspires, combined with the fact that we honestly don't know how finite or otherwise the universe is, and there's great potential there for thousands if not potentially limitless years of study and intellectual questing. Frankly the idea of reaching the end of that quest is a sad proposition, for where would the adventure be? :)
The stability of Christianity is indeed a fascinating topic. But given that you believe as you do, you probably don't envision this religion continuing forever, right? After all, no religion ever has.

Religions morph, borrow from each other, steal and evolve. I don't envision is staying time-locked in its current form for ever, but I'm sure elements of current Christianity will survive well into the future, or become part of future religions. I'm very into the studies of Paganism, and find it fascinating how Christianity was only adopted by a Roman Emporer so that he could turn his war into a "Holy War" and wreak more havoc upon his Pagan foes with frothing, screaming zealots on his side, whom he also envisioned as being calmer and easier to deal with and keep peaceful. Christianity caught on, and so helped the Romans better fight their enemies and spread new ideals, one of them being Christianity which incorporated various ideas and borrowed certain elements from the existing, conquered religions such as the Pagan tribes to become an early form of what it is now.

Even in Christianity's current form, Adam and Eve's son, Seth, also happens to be an Ancient Egyptian deity, a country which the pillaging Romans just happened to pass through and incorporate whilst building their Empire only a couple of hundred years before that very same Emperor (Constantine I) is believed to have compiled the forefather of our modern day version of the Bible with his council. Ahh but I digress.
Oh, that one is easy. Just step in to the time machine, due to be released in June of 2367. (Except by then it will be called Narg of 34987.)
Is this where I'm supposed to spuriously and totally spontaneously provide the answer to 42?

In seriousness though, how do we know that they'll know? :)

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream