How compilers work

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
EMTe
Favorite Philosopher: Jessica Fletcher

How compilers work

Post by EMTe »

A couple of days ago my friend asked me this question. Basically, he couldnt understand how it happens that English words, commonly used in high programming languages turn into machine code. I got a little interested in the topic and asked my friend, who codes, and what I received is this message:

"From a philosophical standpoint, the first thing to be aware of is that everything is Data. Both data (an MP3 file for example) and a program (Firefox browser) are Data and stored in computer's Memory (not to be confused with storage, like hard drive) indistinguishable from each other. This is called Von Neumann architecture, after the genius who came up with a lot of really great stuff. This is also why viruses and other hacks are possible and why programs sometimes crash. The computer is fooled to execute data as a program when they accidentally or on purpose read Data from Memory from a wrong place.

In essence, what a compiler does is translate a piece of data that somewhat resembles English (a text file having source code in it) to instructions for a computer to do things. A while ago there was a nice Turing machine as Google's front page, which nicely illustrates some aspects of this. The paper is Data and the Computer reads the next icon and executes whatever is there and it has. However, here the memory and code are isolated from each other.

So, taking the Google Turing machine example the compiler converts English sentences "Read the next bit. If it's 0 go down" to symbols for the computer. Why this conversion does need to happen is beyond me. Probably because the CPU ultimately works on 0s and 1s and the compiler knows exactly the best order of those 0s and 1s so that the program as written (but, not necessarily, as intended) by the author runs best.

The closest programming language to the "metal" is Assembly language, which is literally just instructions to the CPU to read certain part of memory and jump to certain point of memory and write to certain point of memory. In Assembly language, each instruction from the programmer translates 1:1 to a operating instruction for the CPU.

In more traditional programming languages, I'm quite sure what the compiler does is to turn the semi-English sentences like (if x>0 then print "hello world") to operating instructions for the CPU. How it happens is way beyond my understanding."

As I said above I got a little interested in the topic and found myself immersed in the magical world of kernels, hardware abstraction layers and similar stuff, eventually finishing as far as reading how teleprinter works. I don't understand a half of what I read, regardless of language I read article in, but I noticed that even experts don't fully understand the nature of this all. I asked another of my friend, who also codes and his explanation was a bit more clear.

What he said is that the first ever compiler was simply coded in machine language (according to Wikipedia the first ever compiler is A-0 System). Whether next compilers were also coded in machine language or used the technology of the first compiler I don't know, but I felt interested enough to gather more informations from available sources.

Several Wikipedia entries may be useful if you become interested in the topic:

FLOW-MATIC, History of compiler construction, Abstraction layer and many more.
The penultimate goal of the human is to howl like the wolf.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: How compilers work

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Interesting topic!

Here is something to consider: If you open up a basic text-editor like notepad and click 10 keys on your keyboard, then save the file. It will be a file made up of a series of 80 ones or zeros, each one or zero physically made up of a circuit being on or off. Each letter, number or other character you type is simply an 8-digit binary number up to 8 digits.

Programmers have to code this way, even though it is less efficient in binary terms, because it is easier on the programmer. He can remember a word like 'if' easier than a string like 0101011101000110 even though that isn't optimal since the set of possible commands and the binary syntax could be much smaller, but that would require the programmer to be able to distinguish 0101011101000110 from 0101000101100110 or any other series (or the odd characters they would give you when not looking at them in binary) as well as he can distinguish a word like 'if' from another word like 'not'. So we create an inefficient syntax for the programmer to write in, but then at some point convert it into a more efficient binary representation for whatever purpose it is needed.

My point is, all the computer ever gets is the binary, all it saves is the binary. I don't think the idea that the text entered by a programmer is converted into more computer-understandable languages is exactly correct, at least not in a philosophical sense, because it implies the computer is able to understand something at that level. But it's a mechanical process through-and-through. It's just circuits being on or off, and simple mechanical instruments dumbly reacting to streams of binary data with little processing power. The compilers and conversions are just dumb processes that change one binary string or group of strings to another according to an algorithm which was designed by humans to get a binary string that when used as the input to a device gives the desired result.

I suspect human reliance on inefficient verbal language is symptomatic of one of the ways modern computers are superior to humans.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
EMTe

Post by EMTe »

This is my friend's answer to your post. It's not my point of view, since I am not a coder and certainly don't possess enough, even theoretical knowledge on subject, but I'm simply interested in reading similar discussions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott wrote:"Here is something to consider: If you open up a basic text-editor like notepad and click 10 keys on your keyboard, then save the file. It will be a file made up of a series of 80 ones or zeros, each one or zero physically made up of a circuit being on or off. Each letter, number or other character you type is simply an 8-digit binary number up to 8 digits.
This isn't actually true, one character can actually be multiple bytes, but that's nit-picking.
Scott wrote:So we create an inefficient syntax for the programmer to write in, but then at some point convert it into a more efficient binary representation for whatever purpose it is needed.
It's not true that a programming language has to be "inefficient". In an Assembly language, each instruction maps exactly to one instruction to the processor. Basically the programmer writes "decrease value in register 1" which is the exactly same thing as "00000101" so no efficiency is lost. However, the modern computer architecture is so complex that working on such low level would be the same thing as (quoting Hofstadter) trying to look at DNA by atom by atom.
Scott wrote:My point is, all the computer ever gets is the binary, all it saves is the binary. I don't think the idea that the text entered by a programmer is converted into more computer-understandable languages is exactly correct, at least not in a philosophical sense, because it implies the computer is able to understand something at that level.
Ah, but it is. In machine code, your instruction set mostly consist of doing stuff to memory or jumping to another instruction. Even a simple high level programming code "echo "Hello world."" has so many things that the processor does not understand or even care about. For the computer to understand the task of displaying "Hello world" on display, it's broken down to many simple instructions that have very little to do with displaying stuff on screen.
Scott wrote:I suspect human reliance on inefficient verbal language is symptomatic of one of the ways modern computers are superior to humans.
I'll just leave this 64kb intro here. The computer is a big-ass calculator and is subject to the laws of mathematics. Saying that modern computers are superior to humans is the same as saying mathematics is superior to humans, but really, they are just our tools.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Scott wrote:So we create an inefficient syntax for the programmer to write in, but then at some point convert it into a more efficient binary representation for whatever purpose it is needed.
It's not true that a programming language has to be "inefficient". In an Assembly language, each instruction maps exactly to one instruction to the processor. Basically the programmer writes "decrease value in register 1" which is the exactly same thing as "00000101" so no efficiency is lost.
"decrease value in register 1" is a 28-character command. At a byte per character, that would give us a 224 digit binary number not an 8 digit one. To open up a text-editor and write that code and then have it "mapped to" a single byte is the kind of conversion to which I referred.

A more efficient system would be to go in and write a single character instead of any given 28-character command which represents a single byte of data according to some conversion mechanism. Needless to say, human beings are not capable of such efficient communication namely because of the very different way our memory works, such as that is is much more vague but much more powerful for many practical 'intelligent' applications.
Scott wrote:My point is, all the computer ever gets is the binary, all it saves is the binary. I don't think the idea that the text entered by a programmer is converted into more computer-understandable languages is exactly correct, at least not in a philosophical sense, because it implies the computer is able to understand something at that level.
Ah, but it is. In machine code, your instruction set mostly consist of doing stuff to memory or jumping to another instruction. Even a simple high level programming code "echo "Hello world."" has so many things that the processor does not understand or even care about. For the computer to understand the task of displaying "Hello world" on display, it's broken down to many simple instructions that have very little to do with displaying stuff on screen.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. Are you saying the computer actually understands -- in the philosophical sense -- what it is doing or are you agreeing with me that it does not and if anything it is less like the human-like consciousness required to have understanding in a philosophical sense at that lower-level.
I'll just leave this 64kb intro here. The computer is a big-ass calculator and is subject to the laws of mathematics. Saying that modern computers are superior to humans is the same as saying mathematics is superior to humans, but really, they are just our tools.
Interesting video and contest. I didn't say computers were superior to humans in general and I'm not sure what that would even mean. I said that efficient communication is one of the ways in which computers are better than humans. Solving math equations is another. There are plenty of ways in which humans are superior to computers. Philosophically speaking, I think we can agree that saying anything is superior to something else without qualification at least implicit qualification is nonsense. Indeed, any superiority can be reversed by using the inverse qualification. If Joe is superior in tallness to Jane, then Jane is superior to Joe in shortness.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
EMTe

Post by EMTe »

Scott wrote:A more efficient system would be to go in and write a single character instead of any given 28-character command which represents a single byte of data according to some conversion mechanism. Needless to say, human beings are not capable of such efficient communication namely because of the very different way our memory works, such as that is is much more vague but much more powerful for many practical 'intelligent' applications."
As it happens, there is the aptly-named f*** [[see Wikipedia link for the English vulgar word beginning with "F"]]. Eight one byte-length instructions. I would not say that it's really that powerful language, yet everything is possible in it.
Scott wrote:You seem to be contradicting yourself. Are you saying the computer actually understands -- in the philosophical sense -- what it is doing or are you agreeing with me that it does not and if anything it is less like the human-like consciousness required to have understanding in a philosophical sense at that lower-level."
I probably shouldn't have used the verb "understand". What I meant by it was that the processor mostly just modifies its memory as instructed by the program. It's an arithmetical engine, there is no sentience or no understanding. What I meant was that languages like f*** and Assembly do not introduce any concepts (like "print to screen") that are beyond these memory operations, which most other higher level languages reduce the code into.
DanLanglois

Post by DanLanglois »

How compilers work turns out to be a rather high-tech subject, naturally. If you get some exposure to Noam Chomsky's work on syntax, it's very high-tech. The syntax of programming languages is specified. Chomsky described four classes of grammars that define four classes of languages, and two of these grammar classes turn out to be useful. You may get to the point of understanding parse trees, which are hierarchical structures, but my main point is that there is a whole field to discuss, here.
EMTe

Post by EMTe »

*bump!*

I wonder if there's anyone alive here, from the past, or a new member, eager to enlighten me with his views.

I've been observing Wikipedia article about "abstraction layers", from time to time, but I'd learned nothing new from the changes. I think the issue we're talking here is one of the most mysterious, philosophically-wise, and interesting in the same time.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

I'm interested in the topic, but I'm not sure what issue(s) you would like addressed. Do you have a specific question?

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

EMTe:

Interesting to hear from you again after all this time. As I recall, you always had quite a curious writing style but I can't remember right now the particular way in which it was curious. Perhaps if you speak again I'll remember.

I'm interested in DanLanglois's comment from over 5 years ago about Chomsky's descriptions of the grammar of programming languages. I'll have to look it up.

Anyway, back to Christmas day for now. God bless us one and all. And all that.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Thought I'd respond to this thread. Apparently I cannot easily participate in active discussions where there is a 24 hour delay to my newbie posts.
EMTe wrote: July 30th, 2012, 5:06 pm The closest programming language to the "metal" is Assembly language, which is literally just instructions to the CPU to read certain part of memory and jump to certain point of memory and write to certain point of memory. In Assembly language, each instruction from the programmer translates 1:1 to a operating instruction for the CPU.
Assembly language has a 1-1 correspondence to machine language, but only machine language is at the 'metal' level. Assembly is still human readable, symbolic, and requires an assembler (not a compiler) to generate machine code. The first assemblers had to be programmed in machine language, not assembly language. Now, new architectures can quickly be programmed with cross assemblers/compilers, but on day 1, none of that existed.
In more traditional programming languages, I'm quite sure what the compiler does is to turn the semi-English sentences like (if x>0 then print "hello world") to operating instructions for the CPU. How it happens is way beyond my understanding.
Seems simple enough. It translates to perhaps 4-6 machine instructions plus a 12 byte chunk of memory to hold the "hello world" constant string. The compiler has a lot of work to do to generate those few instructions, having to parse each of the tokens out and discern from them what 'x' and 'print' is, and then generate appropriate instructions.
What he said is that the first ever compiler was simply coded in machine language (according to Wikipedia the first ever compiler is A-0 System).
An assembler is a compiler for assembly language, so while I didn't find this quote, I accept it.
Whether next compilers were also coded in machine language or used the technology of the first compiler I don't know, but I felt interested enough to gather more informations from available sources.
Once the assembler exists, it seems pointless to continue to code in machine language. It is almost impossible to edit in a bug-free manner.
Other things need to be written as well. How about the editor that lets you write the assembly language? Does that yet exist? How was the machine language input? Certainly not by writing 0's and 1's in some text file. Those didn't yet exist.
EMTe

Post by EMTe »

Halc wrote:Assembly language has a 1-1 correspondence to machine language, but only machine language is at the 'metal' level.
There's something illogical here.

If assembly language is 1 to 1 to machine language, but only machine language is at the metal level how assembly level can understand metal level? Does it need machine level all the time? And what does it mean?
Halc wrote:Assembly is still human readable, symbolic, and requires an assembler (not a compiler) to generate machine code. The first assemblers had to be programmed in machine language, not assembly language. Now, new architectures can quickly be programmed with cross assemblers/compilers, but on day 1, none of that existed.
Now, let's assume you're trying to explain to your parents or grandparents what you just said in here. Because I am trying, for years, to find a language that will link all living generations. What's assemblers, what's compilers, what's machines.

As long as we won't agree to common understanding of things (and I don't believe our grans are more stupid than we are!) we're in deep ship/sheet/sheat. That's my opinion.

Imagine I'm your grandma. Talk to me.
Halc

Post by Halc »

EMTe wrote: March 27th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Halc wrote:Assembly language has a 1-1 correspondence to machine language, but only machine language is at the 'metal' level.
There's something illogical here.

If assembly language is 1 to 1 to machine language, but only machine language is at the metal level how assembly level can understand metal level? Does it need machine level all the time? And what does it mean?
The CPU reads and executes machine language. Assembly language is in human readable alphanumeric for. I'm just saying there is a 1-1 correspondence between the two. One assembly language instruction (typically a line of text, maybe commented) is translated to one machine instruction (variable size, but anywhere from 8 to maybe 48 bits).
An assembler does not understand (does not take as input) metal level (machine) instructions. A disassember would do that, a program that translates in the opposite direction.
Halc wrote:Assembly is still human readable, symbolic, and requires an assembler (not a compiler) to generate machine code. The first assemblers had to be programmed in machine language, not assembly language. Now, new architectures can quickly be programmed with cross assemblers/compilers, but on day 1, none of that existed.
Now, let's assume you're trying to explain to your parents or grandparents what you just said in here.
Snort! You have a high opinion of them then. Let's try you instead, with a presumption of interest. Learning assembler language is a university course.
Because I am trying, for years, to find a language that will link all living generations. What's assemblers, what's compilers, what's machines.

Imagine I'm your grandma. Talk to me..
You want a glossary of the terms?

Machine language encodes binary instructions for a central processor unit (CPU) of a computer. Each kind of chip might have a different set of valid instructions, so it is CPU architecture dependent. A program that runs on one chip will not run on another.

Assembly language is a human-readable form of machine language. Again, there is an assembly language for each machine language. More than one in fact, since perhaps I'd prefer a French flavored one. Assembly language is human readable text.

General purpose language like Ada is machine-independent. The same program can be run on multiple machines. To do this, a 'compiler' is used to translate the general-purpose language into assembler or machine code for a specific target machine.

That's about as far as I go for the the grandma talk. I don't think she'd understand the example below.

So a snippet of general language might look like this, an example used in prior posts was the cheap hello-world program.
I flushed it out to a runnable program with minimal code and ran it through my type-strict C compiler on my x64-based windows 7 box from a cygwin prompt (for the benefit of any who know these products).

The entire C program (in "foo.c") is this:

<code>
extern int puts(char *); // A declartion that does not produce machine code
int main(int x) // The x is passed in here, and happens to be a count of arguments, including the program invocation.
{ if (x > 1) // Count is 1 if invoked with no additional arguments, and > 1 if extra arguments are provided.
puts("hello world"); // Writes this string to the output.
}
</code>

Run the compiler:
> cc foo.c

Run the program twice, the 2nd time with the extra argument 'something'.
> a

> a something
hello world

Great! It works.
Let's look at assembly code that the compiler generated, with most symbol directives removed since they don't generate machine language:

<code>
.LC0:
.ascii "hello world\0"

main:
pushq %rbp <-- First four instructions set up stack frame for main
movq %rsp, %rbp
subq $32, %rsp
movl %ecx, 16(%rbp)
call __main <-- I actually don't know why this is here, but it seems to wipe the x that was in ecx
cmpl $1, 16(%rbp) <-- Tests 'x' against 1, not optimized.
jle .L2 <-- Jump past the print code if it is less than or equal to that 1
leaq .LC0(%rip), %rcx <-- LCO is the address of hello-world string above. Put that in rcx (pass by value)
call puts <-- Call the puts function, which prints the string
.L2:
movl $0, %eax <-- 3 instructions to take down the frame set up at the top
addq $32, %rsp
popq %rbp
ret <-- return to caller
</code>

Only 4 instructions to do the code in the example above.
A more primitive machine language would have at least needed a push instruction above the call, but this is x64.
Halc

Post by Halc »

EMTe wrote: March 27th, 2018, 8:01 pmwhat's machines.
Not sure if I covered that one well.

A machine is a CPU architecture, like say a Pentium or something. Pentiums have a specific machine language that they understand, and only pentium (and pentium compatible chips) can execute machine code in that language. My first machine was a Z-80 machine with a MC-68000 slave processor, so the computer actually ran two different machine languages. I had no compiler on that computer, so the machine had to interpret a high-level language directly, which made it quite slow.

My current machine is x64, so the assembly language in my prior post was specific to x64 machine language. The x64 assembler will translate that assembly language into x64 machine code (only 13 instructions) and puts it into an 'object' file.

An additional program is the linker, which is invoked by the compiler, but is not really part of it. The linker combines the object file with other object files into a workable runnable program. The other object files are kept in some library of them somewhere, and include, for our purposes, the implementation of the 'puts' function that prints a string to the output. The compiler does not know how to write code to print things. It just lets the linker find a pre-written object that does that already.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Halc: Z80 eh?

My first machine, as a kid, was an Acorn Atom with a 6502 processor. I tried a little bit of machine language programming on that but my first proper machine language programming was on the Z80 in a ZX Spectrum. Not having an assembler to start off with, programming (apart from programming in BASIC) meant writing out the assembly language on paper, looking up the op codes in a book and poking those op codes directly into memory. Eventually I got an assembler. I think it was called the "Zeus" Z80 assembler. I still have the Z80 assembly language book. Completely useless as anything except a doorstop now.

Memories, eh?
Halc

Post by Halc »

EMTe,

Some comments on what your friend said:
EMTe wrote: July 30th, 2012, 5:06 pm In essence, what a compiler does is translate a piece of data that somewhat resembles English (a text file having source code in it) to instructions for a computer to do things. A while ago there was a nice Turing machine as Google's front page, which nicely illustrates some aspects of this. The paper is Data and the Computer reads the next icon and executes whatever is there and it has. However, here the memory and code are isolated from each other.
While a Turing machine can be implemented with a programming language, the model itself is not such a thing, and involves no compiler.
Strictly speaking, a Turing machine has a linear tape of binary digits, a current position, and a fixed set of numbered possible states. Each state has two lines (for reading 0 or 1 on the tape), and an output which is the number of the next state (or 'halt' which is in addition to the numbered states, and causes the machine to stop), what to write to the tape, and then which way (left or right) to move.
So a 10 state machine would have 20 lines each consisting of 3 values: Next-state, write 0 or 1, and move left/right.

The algorithm is to read the tape, look up the table line for state X,0 or state X,1, and use that line to determine what to do.
There is no programming language to that, and no compiler, no machine language. It is not a von-Neumann architecture machine that almost every computer is, which is an address space and a CPU that runs instructions in sequence. Compilers are only for the latter.
EMTe wrote: August 2nd, 2012, 4:19 pm This is my friend's answer to [Scott's] post.
It's not true that a programming language has to be "inefficient".
Scott said more efficient, not more inefficient. Machine language is much more space efficient for instance. That page of human readable assember code I posted yesterday translates to about 40 bytes of machine language, perhaps 10x less space, although not much different than the space taken by the C program that generated that assembly code.

As for efficiency of high vs low level language, I doubt I could have written the function much more efficiently by had, except for that seemingly extraneous call to __main which seemed to serve some kind of statistics book-keeping function. But C is not a very high level language. It is a systems-programming language designed to be close to the metal. Other languages have different priorities. Java for instance is designed for portability, not necessarily speed.

In an Assembly language, each instruction maps exactly to one instruction to the processor. Basically the programmer writes "decrease value in register 1" which is the exactly same thing as "00000101" so no efficiency is lost. However, the modern computer architecture is so complex that working on such low level would be the same thing as (quoting Hofstadter) trying to look at DNA by atom by atom.
This is not really correct. Text entered into a computer might be recognizable by some program (say the compiler), but the computer itself has no idea what the text means. The compiler translates that text into something that the processor (which is effectively 'the computer') actually does understand.
The friend's reply to Scott wrote:Ah, but it is. In machine code, your instruction set mostly consist of doing stuff to memory or jumping to another instruction. Even a simple high level programming code "echo "Hello world."" has so many things that the processor does not understand or even care about. For the computer to understand the task of displaying "Hello world" on display, it's broken down to many simple instructions that have very little to do with displaying stuff on screen.
Correct, but a compiler doesn't do these parts. Somebody wrote a program (or several of them that interact actually) that are invoked by a request to print something. The compiler example I posted managed to print "hello world" in just 2 machine instructions. The job of the compiler is complete after that fairly trivial effort.
Scott wrote:I suspect human reliance on inefficient verbal language is symptomatic of one of the ways modern computers are superior to humans.
Ouch... Human reliance on inefficient verbal language instead of more efficient chemical signals is symptomatic of one of the ways ants are superior to humans. Doesn't seem to follow. We just speak different languages, and it takes effort on the part of either of us to communicate with the other. There is no implication of superiority one way or the other just because of that.

Steve3007 wrote: March 28th, 2018, 3:33 am Halc: Z80 eh?

My first machine, as a kid, was an Acorn Atom with a 6502 processor. I tried a little bit of machine language programming on that but my first proper machine language programming was on the Z80 in a ZX Spectrum. Not having an assembler to start off with, programming (apart from programming in BASIC) meant writing out the assembly language on paper, looking up the op codes in a book and poking those op codes directly into memory. Eventually I got an assembler. I think it was called the "Zeus" Z80 assembler. I still have the Z80 assembly language book. Completely useless as anything except a doorstop now.

Memories, eh?
Them was the days, yea. I remember 6502, but didn't have a general purpose one. Played with somebody else's Comodore64, and had an Atari 2600, which is not programmable, but was 6502 powered.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream