Mach-Zehnder Interferometer

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Xris

Re: Mach-Zehnder Interferometer

Post by Xris »

Cronos988 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

That claim is, however, a means of explaining the observation of particle characteristics in a photon. That explanation supposes that the observation is caused by an illusion, but that makes it no less of an observation. I don't know if you conflate observing with seeing, or just using "seen" as just another way to say "observe". If it's the first, you are misunderstanding "observations" as an epistemological category, if it's the latter your argument is factually incorrect.

A quick look into wikipedia will give you all properties of photons that have so far been observed.
You are making the enormous mistake that your observations are indicating the characteristics of a particle and no other explaination is possible. Even when the concept of particles are found to be conflicting with any logical reasoning, it is still maintained. Trying to support this theoretical concept has produced the most outrageous arguments even among those who support the concept. How can you support a theory that indicates the observer some how effects the experiment when nothing in our previous experiences of nature or science has shown this? How can the idea of particles in an experiment indicate the only explaination is that there are thousands of other worlds? It may well be correct but do you not ever doubt that there may be something crucially wrong with the fundamental concepts science insists on supporting?

The properties of a photon. None of them indicate the characteristics of a particle. If there are please tell me what they are.

-- Updated Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:11 am to add the following --
Syamsu wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

The multi universe theory is superficially rational, but deeper down it has problems, like it would not be possible to know there are other universes since no information can pass between them.

Mostly quantum mechanics follows a logic of freedom, except the alternatives don't seem to be in the future. The observer in qm is then = the decider, the superposition collapse = decision, the entangled photon states = alternatives. It has also been proven that the logic that "things could have turned out differently" applies to the photon state not chosen.
If something appears irrational or the experiment does not support the concept why are we pursuing the concept beyond any logical reasoning?
Cronos988

Post by Cronos988 »

Xris, I don't actually think there is that much disagreement between us. It just seems that I am still calling an "observation" what you already label an "explanation".

You say "particle characteristics" is a (wrong) explanation for the behaviour of the photon, and I say the behaviour of the photon can be calles "particle characteristics", and we need to explain that. Again, if you watch the video in the OP, the Mach-Zehnder Interferometer shown there is actually a device that would show us the wave-like characteristics (namely interference) of photons. However, as the experiment progresses, it becomes obvious that the photon doesn't behave wave-like anymore. Do we agree that this is the case?

If so, then the question is only how we explain that behaviour. And from there, there is nothing illogical about supposing Multiple worlds. Quite the contrary, that theories that at first glance seem outright fantastic can be entertained shows that science is not dogmatic and open to new solutions.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Cronos988 wrote:Xris, I don't actually think there is that much disagreement between us. It just seems that I am still calling an "observation" what you already label an "explanation".

You say "particle characteristics" is a (wrong) explanation for the behaviour of the photon, and I say the behaviour of the photon can be calles "particle characteristics", and we need to explain that. Again, if you watch the video in the OP, the Mach-Zehnder Interferometer shown there is actually a device that would show us the wave-like characteristics (namely interference) of photons. However, as the experiment progresses, it becomes obvious that the photon doesn't behave wave-like anymore. Do we agree that this is the case?

If so, then the question is only how we explain that behaviour. And from there, there is nothing illogical about supposing Multiple worlds. Quite the contrary, that theories that at first glance seem outright fantastic can be entertained shows that science is not dogmatic and open to new solutions.
If you consider there is no photon particle, the need to explain the characteristics with relation to a particle, becomes redundant. I never believed it travelled as a wave function.If it is not a particle and the wave function is an illusion then something else has to be considered.

I object to the conclusion not because they need to be considered but because of the reasons they need to be considered. The obstinate determined view that we are looking at particles. It is never ever suggested that the basic concept could be wrong.If religion suggests another world, a heaven, it is immediately laughed at and rightly so but if science recommends thousands we are expected to be excited and find it acceptable.
Cronos988

Post by Cronos988 »

But both "particle" and "wave" are just names. There is no "obstinate determined view that we are looking at particles". Science doesn't make statements about the "true nature" of anything, thats the subject of philosophy.

"particle characteristics" is just another word for "when we send light through apparatus A we see X". Calling X "particle" is just a convention to enable communication. The conclusion you object to just isn't there.

You may find the many-worlds hypothesis ridiculous, but can you make a philosophical argument against it?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Teh:
Actually, I believe frogs eyes can detect single photons, and I was under the impression that cats eyes can too. Certainly photomultipliers can detect single photons. Unfortunately, human eyes can't detect single photons, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Yes, but not far off: I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that it takes at least 7 photons to stimulate a rod in the most sensitive part of the human eye enough to be visible. I don't know how true that it is. Seven sounds suspiciously like one of those numbers that is always used in phoney statistics. (Like the "seven signs of aging" in cosmetics commercials.) It must depend on the frequency, and therefore energy of the photons, but even if it's only a rough order-of-magnitude truth, it still makes the human eye surprisingly sensitive.

When Rutherford and Geiger were doing their alpha particle scattering experiments they used a device called a spinthariscope to observe the scintillations caused by the impact of single alpha particles. It was horribly sensitive work, involving half an hour of getting accustomed to complete darkness before staring without blinking to see the flashes. But each flash was the result of an individual alpha particle collision - just two protons and two neutrons - quite a "quantumy" object - although it would have been composed of several thousand photons.

So perhaps our direct perception is not so far from the quantum world as we might think.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Cronos988 wrote:But both "particle" and "wave" are just names. There is no "obstinate determined view that we are looking at particles". Science doesn't make statements about the "true nature" of anything, thats the subject of philosophy.

"particle characteristics" is just another word for "when we send light through apparatus A we see X". Calling X "particle" is just a convention to enable communication. The conclusion you object to just isn't there.

You may find the many-worlds hypothesis ridiculous, but can you make a philosophical argument against it?
Particles are one moment essential and then become characteristics. If they are not particles, photons, do they exist? The simple statement that photons exist does not fulfill their purpose. Ghosts exist as a concept but simply accepting the concept does not give them credibility. Accepting them as a concept has generated the need to invent many worlds. You do not give heaven reason to exist simply because you believe in god. If I do not believe in god how can I be presumed to debate heaven? BUT if you tell me heaven exists without the need of god I could give you an argument. Just debating many worlds does not give photons credibility. Apart from quantum particles giving rise to this belief there is no argument for them. Many worlds have no more substance than gods heaven.
Cronos988

Post by Cronos988 »

Xris wrote: Particles are one moment essential and then become characteristics. If they are not particles, photons, do they exist?
That depends on your definition of "existance". If you differentiate between "exists" and "essentially is", then photons do exist, whether they essentially are, I do not know.
Xris wrote: The simple statement that photons exist does not fulfill their purpose.
That purpose being what, exactly?
Xris wrote: Ghosts exist as a concept but simply accepting the concept does not give them credibility.
Not in any menainfull interpretation of the word "exist". "Ghosts" isn't a name for any known observation, so "ghosts exist" is nonsense.
Xris wrote: Accepting them as a concept has generated the need to invent many worlds.
There is no need to "accept" anything. Light exists, and light behaves in a certain way. There is nothing more to it.
Xris wrote: Just debating many worlds does not give photons credibility. Apart from quantum particles giving rise to this belief there is no argument for them. Many worlds have no more substance than gods heaven.
I can only repeat myself. "Photon" is the name for an observation. No credibility and no belief is required. Again: Do you agree that the experiment shown in the OP constitutes an observation of how light behaves?
Xris

Post by Xris »

And I can only repeat what I have already stated. Making the claim that photons exist is in itself a profound utterance. It indicates that light consists of a preconceived concept that can not be adjusted. Light has certain characteristics that does not essentially require the theory of photons. Light is not the problem it is how we conceive it. Everything that confuses us about the concept of particles has huge repercussions in science and philosophy.just read any post. They exist till they are questioned and then they become an enigma, a myth that demands belief.

Sorry I did not answer your last question. Light acts in certain way that is not explained by our understanding. I do not deny the experiments that show how light acts or behaves. That would be silly, but because we do not understand it, does not require us to make further assumptions. We can not invent to support a false theory.
Last edited by Xris on January 14th, 2013, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cronos988

Post by Cronos988 »

Xris wrote: Light has certain characteristics that does not essentially require the theory of photons.
Ok, so what theory would you use?
Xris

Post by Xris »

Cronos988 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Ok, so what theory would you use?
Not one theory is adequate to understand the EM transmission of energy. I have read and argued for Bill Gaedes EM ropes but trying to associate them with other radiation I find it is beyond my comprehension or ability to fully argue his case. I have read alternatives that give the idea of a spiders like web where the universe is constructed of electrical energy, bunched to form mass in places and by EM filaments where mass is not expressed. But the truth is I have no real idea, does that fact make what we do accept, acceptable? Any strange alternative does not come any where near the idea that photons require. Human altering reality or a multitude of alternative worlds.
Teh

Post by Teh »

Xris wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Not one theory is adequate to understand the EM transmission of energy. I have read and argued for Bill Gaedes EM ropes but trying to associate them with other radiation I find it is beyond my comprehension or ability to fully argue his case. I have read alternatives that give the idea of a spiders like web where the universe is constructed of electrical energy, bunched to form mass in places and by EM filaments where mass is not expressed. But the truth is I have no real idea, does that fact make what we do accept, acceptable? Any strange alternative does not come any where near the idea that photons require. Human altering reality or a multitude of alternative worlds.
That photons are massless, chargeless, spin 1, particles, that do not decay and have no internal structure (i.e. they are fundamental) is an experimentally and theoretically established fact of nature.

The wave-theory of light is easy to disprove. Solve Maxwell's equations for a dim light source viewed through a double-slit. According to wave-theory, you will obtain a dim interference pattern, but that is not what happens in reality. What you observe are specks of equal brightness appearing on the detector - what changes as the source is dimmed is how often the specks arrive.

All physicists know that, at a fundamental level, the wave theory of light is wrong. Feynman wrote in his book QED:

"I want to emphasize that light comes in this form - particles. It is very important to know that light behaves like particles, especially for those of you who have gone to school, where you were probably told something about light behaving like waves. I'm telling you the way it does behave like particles. You might say that it's just the photomultiplier that detects light as particles, but no, every instrument that has been designed to be sensitive enough to detect weak light has always ended up discovering the same thing: light is made of particles."

The Bill Gaede EM Rope nonsense isn't even funny.
Xris

Post by Xris »

You are asking me to accept that photons exist but in the same breath tell me they don't. Expect me to believe the outrageous conclusions they create while dismissing anything else that might require investigation. I was wondering why is it that only recently, certain well informed posters argued that photons could be seen travelling as a wave function. If that is the case then we can dismiss the delayed split slit screen experiment. Now we only need to understand how photon particles can be assumed to be capable of being created ravelling at their maximum speed, do not experience acceleration, can be slowed, do not experience time, without mass can be effected by gravity,have length but no width, can not be seen travelling only arriving, can be assumed to move from one reality to another and can be influenced by observation? And Gaedes ropes are not worthy of a simple laugh.Well here is one ignorant observer laughing his head off.
Teh

Post by Teh »

Xris wrote:You are asking me to accept that photons exist but in the same breath tell me they don't. Expect me to believe the outrageous conclusions they create while dismissing anything else that might require investigation. I was wondering why is it that only recently, certain well informed posters argued that photons could be seen travelling as a wave function. If that is the case then we can dismiss the delayed split slit screen experiment. Now we only need to understand how photon particles can be assumed to be capable of being created ravelling at their maximum speed, do not experience acceleration, can be slowed, do not experience time, without mass can be effected by gravity,have length but no width, can not be seen travelling only arriving, can be assumed to move from one reality to another and can be influenced by observation? And Gaedes ropes are not worthy of a simple laugh.Well here is one ignorant observer laughing his head off.
What do you mean by "photons could be seen travelling as a wave function"? Could you please explain!
Xris

Post by Xris »

Teh wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

What do you mean by "photons could be seen travelling as a wave function"? Could you please explain!
Well I understood that the double slit experiment indicated the supposed dual nature of light. What exactly are you saying it indicates?
Teh

Post by Teh »

Xris wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Well I understood that the double slit experiment indicated the supposed dual nature of light. What exactly are you saying it indicates?
You claim that "photons could be seen travelling as a wave function". What do you mean by that statement? The reason I ask, is that I don't understand what you mean. I try to avoid making statements that I don't understand, and I presume you do the same. Please explain.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream