what was the cause of the Big Bang?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
1i3i6--

Re: Why did the Big Bang happen?

Post by 1i3i6-- »

Thinking critical wrote:Why is not the correct question to be asking, as it appears your asking why as in what is the reason.
That question can never be answered.

If the BB theory is in fact the correct explination for the origin of our Universe, the questions to ask are what was the initial cause that sparked the chain of events as descried in the theory? How did something come from nothing? What is the NOTHING?
More true to the seeming reality :
"[/i] How did something come from infinity? What is infinity?[/quote]

and seemingly that is a hard cookie to crack from a finite frame that has a beginning and end.
1i3i6--

Re: what was the cause of the Big Bang?

Post by 1i3i6-- »

Anthony Edgar wrote:Before this alleged Big Bang event, were the laws of physics already in place? I mean, without any laws of physics, maybe no explosion at all could have occurred. Or did the laws of physics arrive after this Big Bang? My brain hurts when I contemplate these things.
It shouldn't. In the beginning was the 'word'.
Consider the 'word' as an infinite detail of all that can occur to an infinite degree.

With cause, a segment of possibility came to be. If you want to get into 'causation', A good coverage is provided at plato-stanford-edu under 'causation-metaphysics'. I can't link as I am too new a member.

So, let me just provide you with an example :
An infinite ether of possibility exists :
[infinity, - , -, - , - , - ,.. infinity]
I decide as a infinite creator to pick 3 hypothetical units of it {-,-,-}.

Laws, events, space, time, etc exist in this subset.
Then I manifest them.
Time/space/matter/energy/etc unroll or go boom.
Laws are made manifest as well.

The show gets going...
I grab popcorn.

What was the cause? Maybe it provides me glory and satisfaction to do it.
Why do you do what you do? Sometimes you do things simply because it makes you happy and gives you pleasure to do so.
Not saying this is the reason, but it could be and that would be sufficient.
1i3i6--

Post by 1i3i6-- »

Renee wrote:
Instead of "feeling" what others are trying to do, why don't you just simply explain what others ask of you? I ask also, because there is no doubt about it, I lack the wisdom that you have, which wisdom tells you how an infinitely long thing has had a beginning.

All we need of you, Fanman, is to explain that. No other argument is needed for my satisfaction that you are right, but this explanation by you is very needed. Please supply.
It's not a matter of not having 'wisdom'. It's a matter of accepting it.
That which has a beginning and an end is not infinite.
The universe seemingly has a beginning per this theory and heat death is the end.
So, the self-evident truth is right there for you to accept.

Given the near infinite sea of possibility that surrounds us, people seemingly have a hard time accepting this.
This would appear to be a 'feature' and in a weird way you are faced ultimately with what a creator is faced with.
Given every range of possibility surrounding you, what do you chose to create/believe/manifest.

So here we are, given a mini-god world and universe.
Look what we do/have done with it and to each other.

What an ultimately 'creation'...
To be given a diverse kaleidoscope of experience and capability and given the capability to decide what we create.

As for consequences, all creations come with this caveat.
Maybe mathematicians/scientist will one day come up with a satisfying proof for this self-evident truth.
Anthony Edgar
Favorite Philosopher: Paula Haigh

Post by Anthony Edgar »

Renee wrote:A brief explanation, without going into specifics, to what laws of physics were in place and what were not:
Some laws of physics are decided by the ratio of different kinds of electromagnetic quantums.
Ah ... electromagnetic quantum ratios. Yes, well, it's interesting that initially Mr. Spock, Doctor Who and Darth Vader believed these ratios to be very important, but now they all think they're overrated.  Vader, in his paper, "WTF?", goes so far as to suggest that EQRs may be a flawed theory and that Pandaemonium Continuities offer a much better explanation. 
The Bing Bang theory should make clear sense to you with regard to the specifics if you at least, for crying out loud, finally made us all happy and took a four-year intense physics honour degree course at a better university.
If I chose to study at university for four years I wouldn't waste my time on theoretical physics for Space Cadets.  This would be as useless to the progress of science as studying speciation in evolutionary biology or theology.  No, instead I would study something tangible and productive.
Incidentally, if governments want to save tax-payers' money, they could start by telling academics who do nothing but produce pseudo-scientific fairy tales, "You're fired!"  Professional philosophers are also a waste of money.
"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe in them." - George Orwell
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Anthony: I'm curious about something. Is your mockery just due to Renee's slightly clumsy use of technical language, or do you regard all parts of physics that you haven't personally studied to be science fiction? For example, if I started going on about Quantum Electrodynamics, would you return to the Star Trek references? How about if somebody talked about Newton's Laws?

Would you apply the same principle to other subjects? For example, Geography: Would you regard the existence of any country that you haven't personally visited as a fairy tale?
Anthony Edgar
Favorite Philosopher: Paula Haigh

Post by Anthony Edgar »

Dolphin42 wrote:Anthony: I'm curious about something. Is your mockery just due to Renee's slightly clumsy use of technical language, or do you regard all parts of physics that you haven't personally studied to be science fiction? For example, if I started going on about Quantum Electrodynamics, would you return to the Star Trek references? How about if somebody talked about Newton's Laws?

Would you apply the same principle to other subjects? For example, Geography: Would you regard the existence of any country that you haven't personally visited as a fairy tale?
Neither.  My mockery stems from the childlike faith many people place in unverified and even untestable theories.   Such credulity is most apparent amongst atheists, to whom theoretical science is theology.  They have a psychological need to believe Space Cadet theories - and it shows. I suspect that many scientists are arrogant and deluded enough to believe that can figure out what happened billions of years ago, regardless of the distinct possibility that their untested theories could be dead wrong.

Newton's Laws are verified by the fact that they have multiple uses in applied science.

Has Quantum Electrodynamics been verified?  Better still, has it found a use in applied science?  If not, then my next question is, which episode of Star Trek did these theories feature in?  

-- Updated November 28th, 2016, 3:00 am to add the following --
Dolphin42 wrote:Anthony: I'm curious about something. Is your mockery just due to Renee's slightly clumsy use of technical language, or do you regard all parts of physics that you haven't personally studied to be science fiction? For example, if I started going on about Quantum Electrodynamics, would you return to the Star Trek references? How about if somebody talked about Newton's Laws?

There seems to be considerable evidence that Iceland, for example, exists.  I can verify it definitively by catching a flying machine or two and going there myself.  (Flying machines exist - I observed one once.)
"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe in them." - George Orwell
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Once contemplated it's curiously simple. The big bang is the inflating into existences of two 3D (4D, if time is included) universes from the mouth of a 4D wormhole connecting two infinite 4D spaces. The turmoil of virtual particles on the mouth of the hole, a state fluctuating in time, is the cause of the inflation, which is triggered again by a two previous universes accelerating away on the 4D spaces.
Dr Jonathan Osterman PhD
Favorite Philosopher: The BUDDHA

Post by Dr Jonathan Osterman PhD »

Simplecyx wrote: June 11th, 2013, 12:38 am
I am certainly curious about what is "nothing".
The whole and complete "Nothing" is nothing that you would need to worry about, because otherwise you would make much ado about nothing.

Dr. Bernardo Kastrup — Materialism is baloney!!! :D
Youtube. com/watch?v=FcPyTgLILqA

Dr. Jonathan Österman, Ph.D., ETH Zürich, Switzerland

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream