Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

All Day I Hear- James Joyce

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Re: All Day I Hear- James Joyce

Post by h_k_s » December 4th, 2018, 10:02 pm

On the list of critical needs of humankind, food is definitely near the top of it, beaten only by air, warmth, water, and sleep.

And sumptuous delicious food is a topic of Epicureanism in Philosophy. This is the opposite of Stoicism.

Is anyone here an Epicurean? A Stoic?

Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow » December 4th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Don't forget the urine. And perhaps it is not best to take the lives of authors as a model for living. After all, Hemingway "taught" his children to drink at the age of thirteen drank himself to suicide. Joyce's daughter was insane, or leaning that way. Robert Frost's family was largely suicidally depressed. There is something about this strange world of looking closely at what we are that can drive one to drink or damnation. Heidegger said questioning is the piety of thought and I almost literally think he was right. But crossing the literary Bardo to Grace can be treacherous.

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s » December 5th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Hereandnow wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 10:27 pm
Don't forget the urine. And perhaps it is not best to take the lives of authors as a model for living. After all, Hemingway "taught" his children to drink at the age of thirteen drank himself to suicide. Joyce's daughter was insane, or leaning that way. Robert Frost's family was largely suicidally depressed. There is something about this strange world of looking closely at what we are that can drive one to drink or damnation. Heidegger said questioning is the piety of thought and I almost literally think he was right. But crossing the literary Bardo to Grace can be treacherous.
Speaking of drinking (alcohol) there are rules that one should follow if one is going to imbibe:

- never drink on an empty stomach

- only drink with your food consumption

- remember the main benefit of alcohol is to aid digestion and all others are simply on the fringe

- never drink after midnight and before sundown

- give yourself a weekly detox day of no drinking at all

- know your limits and stay within them

- never drink and drive -- take a nap in your car for an hour or more after drinking before driving

Anyone who follows these rules of drinking will not fall victim to alcohol addiction.

cavacava
New Trial Member

Post by cavacava » December 6th, 2018, 9:38 pm

The narrator is walking home looking at the sea, listening to its moaning refrains, and notices a sea bird. The narrator imagines the bird's sad never ending labor, the birds sad cry becomes one with the wind. As the person climbs the hill home, s/he goes where "The grey winds, the cold winds are blowing" at the top of the hill where all the sounds of the sea flowing far below, can be heard day and night, moving to and fro.