The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Post Reply
User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 363
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Good porn is art. It takes skill and technique to act, direct, and set scenes in any type of film art. I do not see why you would want to exclude pornography from this category.
The thread started by placing porn as "voyeurism". Surely if you are going to categorise porn from the perspective of the end user, then surely ALL narrative film is voyeuristic. Film gives us all a view into activities of people dramatised in ways impossible to see in normal circumstances.
What people do with porn does cannot be used to denigrate the efforts it takes to make it.
Diogenes famously wanked over a statue of a naked female. His act did not make the statues any less art. If a person were to wank over the Mona Lisa that too would not change the fact that it was art.

User avatar
UniversalAlien
Posts: 1167
Joined: March 20th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by UniversalAlien » May 22nd, 2019, 1:19 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm
Good porn is art. It takes skill and technique to act, direct, and set scenes in any type of film art. I do not see why you would want to exclude pornography from this category................
TRUE! - In my opinion - And what people do with it does not change it.......

When I was younger, much younger, I may have watched this genre of art and been highly stimulated by it
in a very sexual sense - But today I find it more stimulating to my mind - so called porn 'erotica' can be a
very philosophical stimulant to philosophers with open minds - It is at the root of the creative force that
generates all - My opinion.

Of course it an be a dangerous force, not only because it is addictive to many people, but because it
generates an open mind - More dangerous to some of the powers that be than anything else.
- But when Liberal justices on the Supreme Court admitted that 'obscenity' is in the mind of the beholder,.
and then virtually legalized the entire genre - the Word changed, freedom triumphed.

But the 'so-called' conservative creeps of the past have not given up - Now that they have a Conservative Supreme Court not only are they trying to overrun 'Roe v. Wade', the ruling that gave women the right to own their own body - But with a little luck, and the truly dirty corruption that drives than - maybe they can
now again outlaw all the erotica that they consider to be filth - And as spirituality decadent as these
moralist really are...........All creative freedom, and the very Constitution of the United States is
under a very dangerous attack - More dangerous than any foreign power.

User avatar
Hereandnow
Posts: 2213
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by Hereandnow » July 11th, 2019, 9:47 am

Scultor1
Good porn is art. It takes skill and technique to act, direct, and set scenes in any type of film art. I do not see why you would want to exclude pornography from this category................
But because it takes skill and technique does it therefore qualify as art? Isn't it that the art of the thing lies in one's ability to receive it AS art? This rug is a utility and nothing more as I walk from the living room to the bedroom. But if I attend to its patterns and colors and, perhaps, historical context and take in all the significant form As art, it becomes art, otherwise it is at best latent art. Pornography, as it is "used" by a person is not art at all. But if, as you say, attention is put to the skills and the rest, there is art the production's artistic dimensions that come forth, though this would be a rather loose interpretation of art. Not so much, I would argue, in the production's techniques in the human form, the curves, movements, etc., like appreciating a Rodin. But then again, it could be that this is what the technical appreciation is about. And yet again, though: These "artists", photographers and others, are not intent on creating aesthetic form, but erotic form, and the art in what they do is usually accidental.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3435
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by LuckyR » July 15th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Hereandnow wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 9:47 am
Scultor1
Good porn is art. It takes skill and technique to act, direct, and set scenes in any type of film art. I do not see why you would want to exclude pornography from this category................
But because it takes skill and technique does it therefore qualify as art? Isn't it that the art of the thing lies in one's ability to receive it AS art? This rug is a utility and nothing more as I walk from the living room to the bedroom. But if I attend to its patterns and colors and, perhaps, historical context and take in all the significant form As art, it becomes art, otherwise it is at best latent art. Pornography, as it is "used" by a person is not art at all. But if, as you say, attention is put to the skills and the rest, there is art the production's artistic dimensions that come forth, though this would be a rather loose interpretation of art. Not so much, I would argue, in the production's techniques in the human form, the curves, movements, etc., like appreciating a Rodin. But then again, it could be that this is what the technical appreciation is about. And yet again, though: These "artists", photographers and others, are not intent on creating aesthetic form, but erotic form, and the art in what they do is usually accidental.
Very true, but by definition if something is usually something then it is occasionally something else. Thus pornography is art on occasion.
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
UniversalAlien
Posts: 1167
Joined: March 20th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by UniversalAlien » July 15th, 2019, 2:04 pm

LuckyR wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:03 pm
Hereandnow wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 9:47 am

But because it takes skill and technique does it therefore qualify as art? Isn't it that the art of the thing lies in one's ability to receive it AS art? This rug is a utility and nothing more as I walk from the living room to the bedroom. But if I attend to its patterns and colors and, perhaps, historical context and take in all the significant form As art, it becomes art, otherwise it is at best latent art. Pornography, as it is "used" by a person is not art at all. But if, as you say, attention is put to the skills and the rest, there is art the production's artistic dimensions that come forth, though this would be a rather loose interpretation of art. Not so much, I would argue, in the production's techniques in the human form, the curves, movements, etc., like appreciating a Rodin. But then again, it could be that this is what the technical appreciation is about. And yet again, though: These "artists", photographers and others, are not intent on creating aesthetic form, but erotic form, and the art in what they do is usually accidental.
Very true, but by definition if something is usually something then it is occasionally something else. Thus pornography is art on occasion.
But, and then again, to the artistic mind, everything is art, and its duplication and technique is the

artists work - focus on an aspect of a World that is creative art in play.

So pornography {sex} is art, making horror movies, mystery, sci-fi, etc., all of it art.

Even good philosophy is an art - What makes Nietzsche so interesting, even today, is not so much his
ideas, many or which go back to the Ancient Greeks, but the way he expressed them, he made
many classical ideas in philosophy come to life - that too ia an art.

And the film maker as pornographer, making Human sexuality seem more exciting than it actually
is - definitely an art.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3435
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by LuckyR » July 15th, 2019, 3:38 pm

UniversalAlien wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 2:04 pm
LuckyR wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:03 pm


Very true, but by definition if something is usually something then it is occasionally something else. Thus pornography is art on occasion.
But, and then again, to the artistic mind, everything is art, and its duplication and technique is the

artists work - focus on an aspect of a World that is creative art in play.

So pornography {sex} is art, making horror movies, mystery, sci-fi, etc., all of it art.

Even good philosophy is an art - What makes Nietzsche so interesting, even today, is not so much his
ideas, many or which go back to the Ancient Greeks, but the way he expressed them, he made
many classical ideas in philosophy come to life - that too ia an art.

And the film maker as pornographer, making Human sexuality seem more exciting than it actually
is - definitely an art.
I agree that the label of art is applied by the audience, not the producer.
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
Hereandnow
Posts: 2213
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by Hereandnow » July 16th, 2019, 1:09 am

UniversalAlien
And the film maker as pornographer, making Human sexuality seem more exciting than it actually
is - definitely an art.
It does raise an interesting question: art is not assessed any longer by the beautiful, the sublime or any of those classical aesthetic ideas. It has become truly open as to what an aesthetic response to art is. Is Piero Manzoni's Can of Human **** art. I guess so. I was appalled to hold it in my hand. Was that the point and was that an "artistic" response, being appalled?
What a weird world the art world has become. So, I wonder after all if having a sexual response to something can qualify as an artistic response. Is erotica as such aesthetic? Is being appalled as such aesthetic? I have always thought we make art by conceiving something AS art, the same way we see a cloud and call it a camel or a poodle; but then, camels and poodles are not problematic concepts, aesthetics is. The only way to understand this is to think as George Dickie did: that art is an institution with no boundaries at all, save the associative gathering of things called art. The principle of their association is now entirely open. If someone is an artist and s/he calls X art, then it is art. The only grounding i can see in historical.

I don't agree with this AT ALL. But this is what art has become.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3435
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by LuckyR » July 16th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Hereandnow wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 1:09 am
UniversalAlien
And the film maker as pornographer, making Human sexuality seem more exciting than it actually
is - definitely an art.
It does raise an interesting question: art is not assessed any longer by the beautiful, the sublime or any of those classical aesthetic ideas. It has become truly open as to what an aesthetic response to art is. Is Piero Manzoni's Can of Human **** art. I guess so. I was appalled to hold it in my hand. Was that the point and was that an "artistic" response, being appalled?
What a weird world the art world has become. So, I wonder after all if having a sexual response to something can qualify as an artistic response. Is erotica as such aesthetic? Is being appalled as such aesthetic? I have always thought we make art by conceiving something AS art, the same way we see a cloud and call it a camel or a poodle; but then, camels and poodles are not problematic concepts, aesthetics is. The only way to understand this is to think as George Dickie did: that art is an institution with no boundaries at all, save the associative gathering of things called art. The principle of their association is now entirely open. If someone is an artist and s/he calls X art, then it is art. The only grounding i can see in historical.

I don't agree with this AT ALL. But this is what art has become.
Of course you could turn the thought experiment around. If someone gets sexually aroused from the Venus de Milo, does it change from art to merely erotica?
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
UniversalAlien
Posts: 1167
Joined: March 20th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Does Pornography Qualify as Art?

Post by UniversalAlien » July 16th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I think what has been mostly overlooked in this entire discussion, is how religion has influenced the art concept.

From the Western Judaeo-Christian view the open depiction of sexuality is usually viewed as vulgar and obscene
- hence the old laws banning 'so-called' pornography and actually sending people to jail for making or displaying it.

But the World has changed, and maybe in some ways is returning to its original pagan roots.

Among Pagans of the past licentiousness, bacchanals, and orgies were often practiced as part of certain
pagan religious rights and celebrations.

And let us never forget Witchcraft - in fact the term Witch has many meanings from practitioners of the
religion of Wicca to women who are prostitutes - And pornography, more than any other medium, allows
for certain Witches to express themselves.

And in today's World the battle between these ideologies continues - A battle between right wing so called
conservative religions of the Western World vs. the Eastern {mainly Hindu] and Pagan / Witch philosophy of
its adepts.

Pornography art? - Yes, it is art - But it is a lot more than art - Today's pornography is a war for freedom
of expression and for a religious ideology that goes back to the Ancients :!:

Post Reply