The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Is there a major difference between visual and auditory art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Greta
Site Admin

Re: Is there a major difference between visual and auditory art?

Post by Greta » January 10th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 8:11 am
Greta wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:33 am
I have explained myself clearly enough and don't need to labour the point. You either understand what was said or you don't.
But you didn't even directly answer simple questions I was asking.
As you did not try to understand what I was saying, taking a rather odd and unexpected angle that made no sense to me. We cannot help expressing ourselves in everything we do.

So I see no point pushing forward until I have a sense of how you see what I think is a basic and obvious premise. Otherwise it'll just be just back-and-forth babble running at ephemeral cross-purposes.

Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station » January 10th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Greta wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Terrapin Station wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 8:11 am

But you didn't even directly answer simple questions I was asking.
As you did not try to understand what I was saying, taking a rather odd and unexpected angle that made no sense to me. We cannot help expressing ourselves in everything we do.

So I see no point pushing forward until I have a sense of how you see what I think is a basic and obvious premise. Otherwise it'll just be just back-and-forth babble running at ephemeral cross-purposes.
The whole reason that I'm asking you the questions I am is that I'm trying to understand exactly what you're claiming. They're clarification questions.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » January 11th, 2020, 12:21 am

Don't you agree that we cannot help but to express ourselves in everything we do? That everything we do to some extent is influenced by our morphology and mentality? Simply, we cannot help but to be ourselves.

Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station » January 12th, 2020, 10:15 am

Greta wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 12:21 am
Don't you agree that we cannot help but to express ourselves in everything we do? That everything we do to some extent is influenced by our morphology and mentality? Simply, we cannot help but to be ourselves.
Yes, I agree with that, but "All art represents something" doesn't say the same thing as what you're saying above. "Representationalism," with respect to visual art, music, etc. refers to a much more specific idea than the fact that the art at hand is going to be influenced in some ways by the artist's particular body, including the mental aspects of our particular body.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » January 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Okay, it's a matter of language.