Blood Sports

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Ecurb

Blood Sports

Post by Ecurb »

The Hay Day of blood sports, I suppose, was also the prime of the Romnan Empire, when gladiators battled to the death for the delectation of the crowds. During the lunch break separating the fighting, executions were held, generally involving people being burned alive or devoured by wild beasts. The Romans loved these entertainments, and I think if we can withhold our squeamishness, we can see the attraction. In days when all men were soldiers (or potential soldiers) watching skilled gladiators must have been dramatic and educational.

Of course we still thrill to boxing and martial arts matches which, if less deadly, remain dangerous and dramatic.

Bull fighting, dog fighting and cock fighting also remain popular. I believe cock fighting is still legal in Louisiana (it was 20 years ago -- perhaps that has chnaged). Bull fighting, with its pageantry and drama and its faint resonance of mythic origin was beloved by Hemmingway and Michner. Dog fighting attracts violent anarchists, but also dog lovers, who admire the strength, courage and "gameness" of the combatants. Cock fighting is popular world wide. George Washington once invited Thomas Jefferson to cock fights at Mt. Vernon. Abraham Lincoln may have been less approving, and is reported to have said, "As long as the Almighty permits intelligent men created in His image to fight in public and kill each other while the world looks on approvingly, it is not for me to deprive chickens of the same privilege." Anthropologist Clifford Geertz described Balinese fighting cocks as "detachable, self-operating penises."

It's easy to deplore this taste for violence and death, but perhaps we should also try to understand it. Maybe it belongs to a time when physical courage was more important to us humans; when it was dulce et decorum to die for your country. It is facile to decry the blood lust of the afficianados, but if you listen to them, or read about them, they admire the gameness and courage of the combatants as a moral virtue, tested and displayed by violence and death.
JDBowden

Re: Blood Sports

Post by JDBowden »

Interesting post. Let me take a swing at this...

From my personal understanding, the gladiator games were far, far less bloody than what we have in mind. Why? They were highly trained, specialized athletes. That means, extraordinarily expensive to train, house, maintain, etc. Of course we cannot go back in time to see what it was truly like, but having a modern day romantic idea of it, as seen by the 2000 film, would be described as fiction.

Here is another thought. Whereas we do not (normally) have public spectacle of blood sport. Have we given thoughts to current video games? We are talking head-to-head face ripping, sniper shooting, head cut off, stabs, rapes, gangbangs, skin burning, gore of the earth and we do what? We give it to little 4 year old Johnny to play with his day care friends up to and including working professionals to the point where we now have "professional gamers." Literally. They are paid to be as violent as possible in a 1-on-1 or team vs. team competition. These gamer pros now attract audiences in a circular formation which could be argued as resembling the Colosseum. Not to mention, highly paid.

https://cdn1.dotesports.com/wp-content/ ... 33ed_k.jpg

"As for the best-paid eSports pros, they can expect to earn as much as $35,000 a month, which is a massive $420k per year, according to AFKGaming."

So it seems our classical blood sport has diminished, but our new "eSports" in terms of intensity has far outpaced anything similar to the point where individuals have trouble understanding what is "real" anymore.

jdb
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I recently read an entire book about gladiators. It is true that many gladiator battles did not end in death -- but many did and the public executions at half-time were gory and dramatic.

I don't know much about e-sports, but perhaps you are right.

I've never been to a dof fight or a cock fight, but I have been to a bullfight. My favorite part is the very start, when the noble and vicious beast enters the arena, proud and fierce, looking for something to fight. The nobility and courage of the buil is essential to the drama and beautiful to see.
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

A dog and cock fight I see as a "fair" fight. As both are equal in terms of general ability. Not to mention, same species.

Let me guess. The matador won vs. the bull at the show you saw, yes? Of course.

Man vs. bull however, is hardly even defined as a fight. I see it as only ego and arrogance. Let me explain.. seeing how the matador is dressed up like a fairy prancing around with a cape to hide behind, trick, deceive. Not to mention swords and hooks. I find it hard to see any said beauty or drama in a one-sided taunting show. Now, if you put a guy in the ring with literally, nothing, only bare hands. Then sure, we could argue a sort of fight is taking place.

It is equal to "hunting" deer/etc... Shooting a deer from 500 meters out using a state-of-the-art high-powered scope, rifle and round hardly classifies as hunting. It is a 100% one-sided activity where your target has absolutely zero chance.

Need to get some old school deep south red neck boar hunting tactics back into rotation. Wait in a tree, and jump on top of the boar using your hands, MAYBE a knife. LOL ... and yes, I have seen this actually done before.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I don't think hunting was ever meant to be a "fair fight". I mean, it isn't fair for those lions and leopards, either, with their fangs and claws.

Bull fighting is a ritual; bulls were sacred in ancient times. And the Spanish fighting bull is a beautiful animal, both in it's form and movement, and in its courage. I'm not a bullfighting fan; I've seen two bullfights in Spain. But I've also read "Death in the Afternoon" and Michener's chapters on bullfighting and I can appreciate why they loved it so much. Anyone interested should read "Death in the Afternoon", Hemmingway's non-fiction book about bullfighting.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Bullfights are, I think, very Spanish. The Spanish admire a certain kind of hostile but honorable masculinity. Think of Flamenco. Compared to Broadway tap dancing (which it resembles), Flamenco portrays love as a battle: aggressive stomping first from the man, then the woman. Tap dancing shows love as, perhaps, more "light weight". Fancy free, and free for anything fancy (as the song goes).

The bull, it reminds us of the Bull from the Sea, that Poseiden sent to torment Crete. The queen, Pasiphe, fell in love with the magnigficent white bull. She had a bronze cow built, and got inside it and, well, it's hard to put this delicately, "knew" the White Bull. The offspring (you guessed it) was the Minotaur, man eating monster eventually slain by Theseus, the most problematic of all Greek heroes.

The bullfight echoes some of these themes: the sexual imagry of both the matador being gored, and the Bull being stabbed is obvious. So is the effeminate but highly masculine ritual behavior of the toreros. I'm not sure what's going on: but simple cruelty doesn't explain it.
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

At the end of the day, it is nothing but a cow. We can call it sacred or special etc. but it just isn't. It's a cow.

Yet to have a trained swordsman stabbing it for a show and spectators echos nothing more than machísmo, which the Spanish (and the rest of Latin America) crave. Why? Ego.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Ecurb wrote: August 4th, 2022, 10:48 pm Bullfights are, I think, very Spanish. The Spanish admire a certain kind of hostile but honorable masculinity. Think of Flamenco. Compared to Broadway tap dancing (which it resembles), Flamenco portrays love as a battle: aggressive stomping first from the man, then the woman. Tap dancing shows love as, perhaps, more "light weight". Fancy free, and free for anything fancy (as the song goes).

The bull, it reminds us of the Bull from the Sea, that Poseiden sent to torment Crete. The queen, Pasiphe, fell in love with the magnigficent white bull. She had a bronze cow built, and got inside it and, well, it's hard to put this delicately, "knew" the White Bull. The offspring (you guessed it) was the Minotaur, man eating monster eventually slain by Theseus, the most problematic of all Greek heroes.

The bullfight echoes some of these themes: the sexual imagry of both the matador being gored, and the Bull being stabbed is obvious. So is the effeminate but highly masculine ritual behavior of the toreros. I'm not sure what's going on: but simple cruelty doesn't explain it.
It may be more than simple cruelty for the spectators or human participants, but not so to the bull. I don't know whether you want to romanticize this to justify it or to dissect it or judge the morality of the "game". I don't think anything justifies cruelty that is not necessary, which would include bullfighting or sport hunting, to me. I think we (humans) can do a little better than that (most of us, we should hope).
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I actually meant to analyze the attraction, not to either condemn or justify. However, bullfighting is not much more cruel than any other method of attaining beef. The fighting bulls probably lead better lives (until they are killed) than beef cattle. It is reasonable to decry the blood lust that is doubtless part of the attraction for spectators, though.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 8:05 pm It's easy to deplore this taste for violence and death, but perhaps we should also try to understand it. Maybe it belongs to a time when physical courage was more important to us humans; when it was dulce et decorum to die for your country. It is facile to decry the blood lust of the afficianados, but if you listen to them, or read about them, they admire the gameness and courage of the combatants as a moral virtue, tested and displayed by violence and death.
I think you have it here: this blood-lust is an anachronism, perhaps one that we should've grown out of by now?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 5th, 2022, 11:39 am
Ecurb wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 8:05 pm It's easy to deplore this taste for violence and death, but perhaps we should also try to understand it. Maybe it belongs to a time when physical courage was more important to us humans; when it was dulce et decorum to die for your country. It is facile to decry the blood lust of the afficianados, but if you listen to them, or read about them, they admire the gameness and courage of the combatants as a moral virtue, tested and displayed by violence and death.
I think you have it here: this blood-lust is an anachronism, perhaps one that we should've grown out of by now?
The flip side is that blood-lust celebrates our atavistic nature. Sport hunting is another example.

We have distanced death. Modern medicine, hospitals, and hospice care allow us to do so. In the past, by the time a child grew up he had probabluy seen people die in his own house. In a way, this distance is a good thing. It has shielded and protected us. But it also allows us to ignore reality.
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:00 pm
The flip side is that blood-lust celebrates our atavistic nature. Sport hunting is another example.

We have distanced death. Modern medicine, hospitals, and hospice care allow us to do so. In the past, by the time a child grew up he had probabluy seen people die in his own house. In a way, this distance is a good thing. It has shielded and protected us. But it also allows us to ignore reality.

I think death has not distanced, but rather the opposite. Back to the video games I mentioned earlier. We "relax" after work now by playing games and killing thousands of people with an arsenal of weaponry. We blow off, chew off, rape off their faces. It is now normal to snipe someone and throw grenades. We even have a term for it: desensitization... Far more extreme than playing dress-up and sticking a sword into some cow.
mahfouz

Post by mahfouz »

JDBowden wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:17 pm
Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:00 pm

I think death has not distanced, but rather the opposite. Back to the video games I mentioned earlier. We "relax" after work now by playing games and killing thousands of people with an arsenal of weaponry. We blow off, chew off, rape off their faces. It is now normal to snipe someone and throw grenades. We even have a term for it: desensitization... Far more extreme than playing dress-up and sticking a sword into some cow.
Wait a minute.

People playing violent video games at home are no more killing people than those who are playing soccer games are exercising.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I see no problem with combat and body contact sports. Consenting parties who enjoy it, or who hope to make money, willingly engage in high powered battles as entertainment. For audiences, each bout is a journey that tells a simple character tale.

The ethical problem only comes to me when when innocents - poultry, dogs and cattle - are exploited for entertainment. To that end, I liked JD Bowden's comment:
At the end of the day, it is nothing but a cow. We can call it sacred or special etc. but it just isn't. It's a cow.
In prehistory, human mastery over other animals would have felt like an achievement. Ancient humans lived in a dangerous world, where apex predators and other powerful species were serious competitors and peers. There can be no ethical justification of modern humans exploiting weak animals as entertainment. Yes, we know that humans can easily defeat any animal, if the scene is set to our advantage.

How about a genuine test? The matador is placed in the arena with a bull, but without helpers or weapons, only body armour and food needed to tempt the animal. The challenge would be to tame the bull, not to kill it, to win its trust so it would eat from the matador's hand.

Ethical cock fighting could be replaced by feeding wars, where punters bet on the rooster that finishes its food bowl first. Weirdly, seeing animals being happy does not draw a crowd in real life, but millions enjoy seeing happy animals on the internet.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Ecurb wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 8:05 pm The Hay Day of blood sports, I suppose, was also the prime of the Romnan Empire, when gladiators battled to the death for the delectation of the crowds. During the lunch break separating the fighting, executions were held, generally involving people being burned alive or devoured by wild beasts. The Romans loved these entertainments, and I think if we can withhold our squeamishness, we can see the attraction. In days when all men were soldiers (or potential soldiers) watching skilled gladiators must have been dramatic and educational.

Of course we still thrill to boxing and martial arts matches which, if less deadly, remain dangerous and dramatic.

Bull fighting, dog fighting and cock fighting also remain popular. I believe cock fighting is still legal in Louisiana (it was 20 years ago -- perhaps that has chnaged). Bull fighting, with its pageantry and drama and its faint resonance of mythic origin was beloved by Hemmingway and Michner. Dog fighting attracts violent anarchists, but also dog lovers, who admire the strength, courage and "gameness" of the combatants. Cock fighting is popular world wide. George Washington once invited Thomas Jefferson to cock fights at Mt. Vernon. Abraham Lincoln may have been less approving, and is reported to have said, "As long as the Almighty permits intelligent men created in His image to fight in public and kill each other while the world looks on approvingly, it is not for me to deprive chickens of the same privilege." Anthropologist Clifford Geertz described Balinese fighting cocks as "detachable, self-operating penises."

It's easy to deplore this taste for violence and death, but perhaps we should also try to understand it. Maybe it belongs to a time when physical courage was more important to us humans; when it was dulce et decorum to die for your country. It is facile to decry the blood lust of the afficianados, but if you listen to them, or read about them, they admire the gameness and courage of the combatants as a moral virtue, tested and displayed by violence and death.
Watching the news from the People's Republic of Uncle Sam-istan, physical courage will be more and more taking on some genuine urgency.
"Mankind has no destiny. Only some men do: to recover lost divinity."---Miguel Serrano

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream