How Do You Judge Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Invictus,variety of positions on the X and Y axes for aesthetic appeal and depth of meaning is very good.This sorts a problem for me: I had been thinking of both form and meaning being subsumed under aesthetic appeal. I think I may now be more able to tell some others what I mean regarding aesthetic experiences.I have now taken on board your idea. Thanks.

Please tell me, given that religious expression and aesthetic expression are the same, could very high aesthetic appeal be what is sometimes called mystical experience?
willowtreeme

How to judge art

Post by willowtreeme »

Belinda:

Good morning.

Here is one definition of what a mystical experience is, with certain criterion.

..."upheaval of the total personality" to Greeley's (1974) "spiritual force that seems to lift you out of yourself" to Scharfstein's (1973) "everyday mysticism." A definition of mystical experience both congruent with the major theoretical literature and clinically applicable is as follows: the mystical experience is a transient, extraordinary experience marked by feelings of unity, harmonious relationship to the divine and everything in existence, as well as euphoria, sense of noesis (access to the hidden spiritual dimension), loss of ego functioning, alterations in time and space perception, and the sense of lacking control over the event....

I am not quite sure just "how" you are relating aesthetic expression with religious expression -- what exactly you mean by that.

As far as art goes, a painting, etc. it's possible that you might view it and perhaps it awakens something within you that gives you that experience described above -- or perhaps holding the image in your mind, at some point later something might "click" and you have a "mystical experience".

I sort of feel, and this is just my opinion, perhaps one of the criterion for a mystical experience is
that there has to have been something going on within a person, some problem being worked on, whether consciously or subconsciously, or some kind of emergence about to take place within a person.
Perhaps what I am speaking more of here is an epiphany.

One might be looking at the beautiful night sky with the stars (I use that a lot because I so love the starlit night sky);

or a beautiful giant oak tree.

In other words, anything that one might find "beautiful" from their perspective. I think it simply takes one "moment" for everything in the universe to be "arranged" within that person and everything simply stands "still", everything is "one" and "whole", whether someone views this as "God" or simply the universe. Total unity.

I gave the definition above, but isn't it so difficult to describe an experience, Belinda.

I think one could actually have a mystical experience "stepping into a pile of mud" for that matter (hee hee) I think so though.

I have no idea of whether this answers your question at all. Dealing with facts is easy; dealing with the mystical is "mystical" .
Peace
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

willowtreeme, good evening to you. Thank you for the helpful definition of a mystical experience. Works of art do not affect me,personally, in that way, and even a grand oak tree does not affect me in that mystical way, as described. I suppose my habit of analysing what is going on gets in the way.The best I for me is what nameless has called the finding of similarites betwen perspectives although in a more immediate way than the purely cognitive. Cognitive value too.

I am currently trying to understand how an otherwise articulate person may insist that an artistic experience is not suitable material for analysis, or even of comment, because such an experience just is. I wondered if such an experiencer could be having mystical experiences caused by contemplating some works of art. Also I think that art is related to spiritual experience. As a way to picture the nature of both cases, art and the sacred, I am very taken with the possibilities of invictus's graph.

I mentioned it to someone who suggested that there may be more axes than just the X and Y axes for describing a work of art, although I for one cannot imagine what the other axes might represent.

I know that invictus's idea of the X and Y axes is just a metaphor, and I find it to be particularly fertile metaphor, well worth working on. :)
willowtreeme

Art

Post by willowtreeme »

Belinda,

And a good morning to you...

You said: "Works of art do not affect me,personally, in that way, and even a grand oak tree does not affect me in that mystical way, as described".

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that works of art and oak trees wouldn't affect you in a mystical way. Correct? So.... There are many ways in which a person can have a mystical experience. I just mentioned those two. It's possible that Einstein had a ME in formulating his equation on relativity -- then again, maybe not. Always to be open. And -- MEs aren't an everyday occurrence.

Can works of art and an oak tree affect you in an aesthetic way/have meaning for you, Belinda? Can you feel something of beauty when you look at them? Again, if not so....

It doesn't have to be the above-mentioned. That's why the saying -- "one man's meat is another man's poison (or woman's).

It could be a philosophical question you've been playing with for months, and suddenly, there you go, Belinda. The whole universe swirls around you and you are one with it -- perfect Unity. I am ignorant when it comes to your speaking of the X and Y axis, I have to say. Is X aetthetic appeal and Y depth of meaning? Also, one does not have to believe in a Creator to have a mystical experience, I feel.

Belinda said: "I am currently trying to understand how an otherwise articulate person may insist that an artistic experience is not suitable material for analysis, or even of comment, because such an experience just is.

I don't get the full meaning of what you try to say here but one comment, or two (hee hee).

First, I feel that one "may" analyse an artistic experience, if it's more a "mental" awareness. If you are using the word "experience" as having a deep meaning within you because of "some thing", I feel that when we try to analyse an "experience" we lose the real meaning of it. A true experience to me is something "felt", it's wholeness in a moment, it changes us -- when we analyse it, we pull it "apart", it is not whole. Words again cannot explain what I am trying to say. So, it's really a matter of choice. I would say if we analyze something, perhaps there wasn't depth of experience and meaning there -- although aesthetic appeal, yes.

Analyzing is part of our nature -- it helps bring us towards the answers we seek -- and to more questions. Isn't it lovely?

Belinda said: I wondered if such an experiencer could be having mystical experiences caused by contemplating some works of art.

I feel YES. If not at that moment, the catalyst is there to "bring it all together" at some point in time.

Belinda said: Also I think that art is related to spiritual experience.

I feel that it can be -- though not in the sense of "spiritual" being "religious" although it can -- but "spiritual" in the sense of Man experiencing a oneness with the universe within himself.

Having said all of this, I can admit that I "know" nothing. *__-

Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space." ~ Orson Scott Card

Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before. - Joseph Campbell

Enjoy your weekend, Belinda ----
Peace
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

Belinda wrote:Invictus,variety of positions on the X and Y axes for aesthetic appeal and depth of meaning is very good.This sorts a problem for me: I had been thinking of both form and meaning being subsumed under aesthetic appeal. I think I may now be more able to tell some others what I mean regarding aesthetic experiences.I have now taken on board your idea. Thanks.

Please tell me, given that religious expression and aesthetic expression are the same, could very high aesthetic appeal be what is sometimes called mystical experience?
I would count the most maximal examples of beauty as a religious experience, yes.
What we find this beauty in varies between individuals, but these cases of indescribable beauty do touch us in a way that is - for me - fully fitting of description as religious experience.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

What we find this beauty in varies between individuals,
9invictus)

Yes indeed,invictus. However, if a statistical analysis were done, and it was found that , cross culturally, certain visual forms, smells, touches or musical intervals were judged high on the aesthetic axis, would this provide evidence that humans are evolved to find specific things aesthetically appealing?

If the analysis did so find this would give aesthetic appeal a certain objective reality.

Invictus, does your thesis about the X and Y axis have an academic source in either philosophy or psychology?If so ' I would like to read more about it.
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

Such an analysis could be evidence for an evolutionary cause for the things we find aesthetically appealing, though I am not certain that it could be taken as a strong argument in itself and without deeper study. Evolutionary explanations can be a bit circular, and it is easy to forget that purely sociocultural causes can appear to be evolutionary even when they are not.

Some evolutionary preferences exist (preference here used generally, and not in an aesthetic sense), but they are usually only very strong negative preferences. A biological repugnance when faced - for example - with human fecal smells, or the taste of foul egg or meat, is a clear evolutonary trait quite divorced from social influence. To suggest that something so subtle and (it seems to me) divorced from survival and procreation may have evolutionary foundations seems improbable.

I'm quite fond of my X/Y Beauty/Meaning model. I've no idea if anyone has thought of it before, but I can only assume they have done. I'm just a second year undergraduate philosophy student, and it is not usual for us to find things that are totally new.

So although I arrived at it myself, and I am very proud of it, I am quite certain that someone, somewhere, will have published it already.
Last edited by Invictus_88 on October 17th, 2009, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Invictus, have you investigated personal construct psychology? PCP is being used by e.g. supermarkets to determine what personal constructs customers use when they are choosing what to buy. One personal construct may be based on a need for security and belonging: another PC may be based on a need to understand and make some order in life. An individual not limited to one PC amd sometimes the PC's conflict within the one person. The PC's are designated as axes. This is similar to your X and Y axes for form and meaning in art.

Would you say that for any one work of art as appreciated by one individual, the X and Y axes intersect at some point, unless the work of art is appreciated as either X or Y exclusively?

I think you have a really good idea here. I first met up with the idea of analysing a work of art as form and meaning in my undergraduate course for Humanities, but not expressing it as X and Y axes. I remember that you prefer to dichotomise as 'aesthetic' and meaning. On second thoughts, I think I prefer 'form' because it seems to me to point to further analysis into rhythm, tone, dynamics etc.

I accept what you said about evolutionary preferences. However,on the positive side, I am not sure but that certain rhythms directly influence heart beat, and that the musical intervals of a mother's lullaby , or the characteristics of her baby talk ,are the same cross-culturally.

Best wishes for your work.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

would count the most maximal examples of beauty as a religious experience, yes.
What we find this beauty in varies between individuals, but these cases of indescribable beauty do touch us in a way that is - for me - fully fitting of description as religious experience
(Invictus)

Given that art expresses truth as well as beauty, would you say that the most maximal examples of truth are experienced as religious? (BTW 'religious' is a 'family of meanings' word that depends for any precision on its context, so let's substitute 'mystical' for 'religious'?)
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

I haven't investigated any philosophy at all, let alone PCP - and the Wikipedia page for it baffles me. I can't deduce much more from it than that he may or may not have a lot of axes on a sort of grid.

The X and Y do not necessarily have to intersect, but in all but the most extreme cases (or, perhaps more accurately, the most extreme critics!) they will do. There are only very few works which anyone could reasonably suggest are absolutely without meaning or absolutely without beauty. They are more likely to suggest that the meaning is shallow or corrupted in some way, that the technique is in some way weak, or that given the meaning the aesthetic is ill-used. The emphasis being always on the relativity or interplay of the two rather than any idea of dichotomy.

Examples of exclusive X or exclusive Y seem to exist only in such things as flowers and data-sheets, and these are not art.
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

Mustical works just as well, though I haven't yet found a word I have no reservations over. Religious sounds like the Church, mystical sounds a bit new-age. We both know what we mean, though.

I find that as much as there is a clear disctinction between the nature of meaning and the nature of beauty, the two combined burn too brightly at their extremes to be clearly judged.

Taken alone, however, I would resist the suggestion that beauty can be powerful without any meaning, or that absolute truths can be powerful without beauty. The interesting thing though is not that this looks impossible, but that it would appear the maximal beauty acquires truth, and that maximal truth acquires beauty.

To try and understand them most maximally and singularly is impossible, I find.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

There are only very few works which anyone could reasonably suggest are absolutely without meaning or absolutely without beauty.
(invictus).

I agree.I cannot think of a single one. I wish I could. Perhaps this is because mankind is a species that tries to make meaningful patterns out of all events, so that even a nonsense poem like

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimbel in the wabe'
etc

acquires meaning and makes me see pictures.

I suggest that only those works that are absolutely X or absolutely Y are those in which the X and Y axes don't intersect at some point. I cannot think of any work of art that is entirely without aesthetic appeal.('Formal merit'?)

However, I can think of at least a stage in composition when the author is thinking about rhythm, or hue, or contrasts, or some other abstract form.

I remember reading that the poet Wordsworth started on a new composition from the rhythm. A Lake district shepherd reported that W would be seen and heard walking in the hills 'Bumbumbumin' to himself.

I also think that there is intrisic beauty in the Elvish language in Lord of the Rings, whereas the language of the Orcs is intrinsically ugly.

The language of the King James version of The Bible is widely regarded as stately and feeling, even by those who despise many of the religious messages.Intrinsic beauty again.

http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabb ... wocky.html
NameRemoved

Post by NameRemoved »

Scott I can only speak for myself on how I judge my art. I was trained in singing dance and drama..degree level a few years ago now..strangely I ended up doing music. after i left my studies and uni..I was visiting a friend who could play guitar and basic keybard chords. He told me he could teach me to play Let it be by the Beatles in a matter of a few minutes. He did, I played it as the chord progression is quite easy to play. From then I was hooked on learning and self taught myself the basic chords and sharps and flats and add 9s etc.. I loved playing the keyboards. Yamaha and Korg synths being my favorits. Since then i have found myself composing songs and tunes accompanied by my keyboards and although my friends loved my compositions..if I listened back to them I was my toughest critic. I wanted it perfect. tighter better quality, sounds I could hear in my head I wanted added etc..So artists are more self critical than most think. But when the whole thing comes together there is a great sense of accomplishment and finishing something so precious and worked for with the love of doing it mixed with the anguish of getting there.
Haller

Post by Haller »

Why you judge it with your heart... and the set of beliefs instilled in you by your environment and genealogy...
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
ape

Re: How Do You Judge Art?

Post by ape »

Scott wrote:How Do You Judge Art?
How I judge art is just as I, as a jugde or juror or critic, wd judge art as in Buchwald or Mooney or etc:

With a heART full of Love and Respect of the good and bad for whatever art is good or bad art in my opinion in any and in all aspects of life.

This Frame of Mind or Heart is the only proper and right way to make a fair judgment of any art in any sphere of the Universe.

Example: The only fair and righteous way to judge art drawn by any racist named Art is with Love in heART for hatists and lovers, for the good and bad, for black and white, for etc and etc and for every kind of art and all kinds of art. :idea:

"I tell you, the more I think, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people."
Vincent Van Gogh

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream