Conceptual art: an oxymoron?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
3uGH7D4MLj

Re: Conceptual art: an oxymoron?

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Hereandnow wrote: February 1st, 2018, 10:32 pmNow the question I am raising is whether this discussion about art qua discussion is art. I mean, it would be something like, "observe this chair. Now in the calling it a chair, have I by my word implied a hierarchy of the visual over the spoken, and......." I say, look at this conversation that the work is not simply about, but IS. The work is this conversation. And since, of course, it is not about chairs but about objects in general and their respective hierarchies then this particular conceptual work of art invites similar discussion about anything, like a shoe on the sidewalk. And putting the chair in the exhibition hall serves only remind the observer that one must acknowledge the objects contained therein as art. But then, this BEING art is exactly what is at issue, so that doesn't help. Thus, my reason for putting the shoe into the inquiry, or a smelly sock, for that matter.
Except that it is not a discussion, it is an art work. You can bark your shin on it. It's standing in the room occupying space. I think it's fascinating. It may be unsettling to the observer, or puzzling. This is its power. And like most art, it can't be encompassed by language. You experience it in real space with your sensing equipment. It is ineffable. It causes people to see something that they have seen a million times in a completely different way, and raises questions about perception and representation and language. What more could you want from an art piece?
Hereandnow wrote: February 1st, 2018, 10:32 pmThen the matter is not settled, for if talk about the chair and its implied hierarchy among the representation and the printed word IS the art work, then how is this different from any, let's say, analytical conversation? It being about art: does this matter? I think it is presumptuous to claim that this analysis is art. It begs the question, How can analysis of art be art? And how does the fact that it is simply about art, even if this is granted, qualify this as art? Danto discusses art in long drawn out theses. Is he an artist, therefore?
There is so much "art about art." This tactic falls flat.
fair to say
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Hereandnow wrote: February 1st, 2018, 10:41 pm I should quickly add: the claim that the point is not the iteration is disingenuous. I would say no one observing the exhibition without the proper theoretical preparation could understand it. The understanding is not the existential engagement. If it were, it would not be conceptual. In fact, calling it conceptual and saying it is not the iteration is itself oxymoronic.
From an earlier post: "If an artwork delivers a concept, your art experience shuts down somehow? Art appreciation doesn't involve thought and concepts? Isn't appreciating form and visible features conceptual, thoughtful, cognitive? When you think of Van Gogh's painting of St Paul's Asylum, and you imagine him living there, and being out on the lawn laying on the paint, you've stopped appreciating art? When you notice the tortured trees, aren't these concepts?"

"One and Three Chairs" is rather audacious. How dare someone consider a folding chair? What is he getting at? What could this artist mean by this? These questions are the beginning of an art experience. Thank you Joseph Kosuth.
fair to say
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Greta:
To speak about "what is art" without considering intent is to miss the crux. However, sometimes the chaotic can be "a great work of art" in the colloquial sense, but not technically unless an artist changes or contextualises it. Also consider how engaging with non-art effectively turns it into art in a subjective sense, eg. scenery. Practically, it simply depends on where, or if, people want to draw that line. For some, every element of life is art and for others, none.
I say, look at this conversation that the work is not simply about, but IS. The work is this conversation.
This conversation could be turned into a work of art with some imaginative alterations or contextualising, but in itself it's not art unless you are one to view life through a romantic imaginative lens.
I think intent is important only to the extent that it illuminates the object as art. It could be the artist's "intent" is not as insightful as the critic, that is, the critic may identify aesthetic possibilities never conceived by the artist. The right of wrong of it then rests with appreciation and analysis, the kind of which takes the work up as art, of course (rather than, per above, epistemology and so forth).
But as you say, contextualizing it is important; more than this: contextualizing separates art from non art, if it is understood that there is such thing as a context of art appreciation. I think form and aesthetic rapture are what define the context of art.

What an interesting thing to say, but right on the money: if I take a conversation, of any kind whatever, and consider it AS art, then the context turns away from analysis (though analysis discloses aesthetics, as in, look at that bird's plumage, the way it reflects the light, isn't it beautiful?) toward something else. The question is, what is this? If it is just a conversation, I would think of it as part of a stage production with dramatic impact? Or perhaps the form, the analogue as opposed to digital nature of the spoken word, the rise and fall of intonation or emphasis, and so on.

Meredith Monk! Now she makes conversation into art. Literally!
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Greta wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 12:47 am To speak about "what is art" without considering intent is to miss the crux. However, sometimes the chaotic can be "a great work of art" in the colloquial sense, but not technically unless an artist changes or contextualises it. Also consider how engaging with non-art effectively turns it into art in a subjective sense, eg. scenery. Practically, it simply depends on where, or if, people want to draw that line. For some, every element of life is art and for others, none.
I say, look at this conversation that the work is not simply about, but IS. The work is this conversation.
This conversation could be turned into a work of art with some imaginative alterations or contextualising, but in itself it's not art unless you are one to view life through a romantic imaginative lens.
I don't know. In my view art is a category of objects: paintings, drawings, sculpture, installation, etc., made by artists, hung on walls, in galleries, museums, some good, some bad. I accept the usual definition.
fair to say
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

3uGH7D4MLj wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 4:54 pm
Greta wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 12:47 am To speak about "what is art" without considering intent is to miss the crux. However, sometimes the chaotic can be "a great work of art" in the colloquial sense, but not technically unless an artist changes or contextualises it. Also consider how engaging with non-art effectively turns it into art in a subjective sense, eg. scenery. Practically, it simply depends on where, or if, people want to draw that line. For some, every element of life is art and for others, none.

I don't know. In my view art is a category of objects: paintings, drawings, sculpture, installation, etc., made by artists, hung on walls, in galleries, museums, some good, some bad. I accept the usual definition.
What of poetry and literature?
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

And theater and music, photography... I know, but usually when someone says art, they mean the gallery stuff.
fair to say
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Or dance. It's all art. I don't know why people will accept all the performing mediums, theater, music, and dance, but if a painter or poet decides to do a performance or a conceptual work -- that won't be allowed, it's not art. There are plenty of art forms where no lasting object or work is ever produced.

Think of Samuel Becket's little plays, pretty conceptual I would say.
fair to say
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

3uGH7D4MLj wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 11:16 pm Or dance. It's all art. I don't know why people will accept all the performing mediums, theater, music, and dance, but if a painter or poet decides to do a performance or a conceptual work -- that won't be allowed, it's not art. There are plenty of art forms where no lasting object or work is ever produced.

Almost, but no cigar, maybe a cigarette. Music is MUCH more conservative than the visual arts, at present at least a century behind.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Greta wrote: February 4th, 2018, 2:25 am
3uGH7D4MLj wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 11:16 pm Or dance. It's all art. I don't know why people will accept all the performing mediums, theater, music, and dance, but if a painter or poet decides to do a performance or a conceptual work -- that won't be allowed, it's not art. There are plenty of art forms where no lasting object or work is ever produced.

Almost, but no cigar, maybe a cigarette. Music is MUCH more conservative than the visual arts, at present at least a century behind.
A misunderstanding, I see what you mean. I just meant that a lone musician standing in a subway tunnel, or a dancer, makes sense to people. But If there's a guy wearing a harness thing around his shoulders with 150# of stones hanging down handing out instructions on how to make one for yourself, that's performance or conceptual art, and it shouldn't be recognized.
fair to say
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

3uGH7D4MLj wrote: February 5th, 2018, 4:43 pm
Greta wrote: February 4th, 2018, 2:25 am
A misunderstanding, I see what you mean. I just meant that a lone musician standing in a subway tunnel, or a dancer, makes sense to people. But If there's a guy wearing a harness thing around his shoulders with 150# of stones hanging down handing out instructions on how to make one for yourself, that's performance or conceptual art, and it shouldn't be recognized.
:lol:

I'm acutely aware of the disparity because, as a musician, I gave up gigging due to the musical conservatism of audiences. Generally art and music are increasingly not interesting to people in their own right. So audiences demand that music either provide strong visuals or be something they can dance to or sing along with. Music at home is increasingly the background to work, TV or movies. Art in the home is increasingly bland and often colour matched with decor, not a piece in its own right but, as with music, an atmosphere setter and social lubricant.

Each is being rendered impotent in the eyes of the young by 3D, surround sound multimedia entertainments that contain art and music contained in and a narrative. Both the art and the music in themselves are diminished in themselves (as compared with the great dedicated artworks and compositions of the past) so as to fit neatly into the broader narrative, that is usually more rich in visceral impact than depth.

Multimedia is still in an early, largely exploratory, mode where the buzz of its technical achievements is seemingly yet to wear off enough to allow for more mature and rich (multimedia) art to emerge.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream