Imagine

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Imagine

Post by Sy Borg »

Misrepresentations are no help at all
No help at all
No help at all
Misrepresentations are no help at all
And repetition is boring.

How can anyone (aside from conservative politicians with fossil fuel interests) NOT know the problems? It's akin to not noticing that there's a lot of technology around these days.

When did I ever claim that the biosphere's reformation would be pleasant, convenient or safe? Yup, we might all die pointlessly and horribly tomorrow. It's possible. There's always a risk that supervolcanoes, asteroids and other rogue objects, or nukes will prevent the Earth from being able to reproduce itself on other worlds via intelligent species.

Not all organisms get to reproduce either, and one can't presume that biology on living planets will reach its potentials and more than it can be presumed of a child. There are no guaranteed happy endings, only possibilities.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Action follows understanding. It's quite obvious, from the lack of very energetic response, that most of the world does not accept that the end of everything is rapidly approaching. Until real panic becomes ubiquitous over this growing monstrous inevitability nothing effective will be done. Perhaps you are aware and are satisfied to accept the end of life on the planet as impossible to confront and struggle against but my reaction is quite different. I delight in being alive and believe there is still some possibility to stop this idiotic juggernaut that is set on killing us all. To know and accept that a fight is necessary is the first step and that is important. To be alive means to recognize that the enemy of life is simply death and to know that we all die at end does not imply that the fight is useless.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

All of this was predicted half a century ago. I did my panicking and agitating up to around 2001, and around that time I noticed that the opinions of little people didn't matter any more, no matter how many there were. So why should I start panicking now when I've seen this coming since the 80s? Mmm? I've been there done that, it didn't work, and I figure that 25 or so years of ineffectual panicking is enough for me thanks very much. I hand over the baton.

Feel free to keep bailing cupfuls of water out of the sinking Titanic. I left that daisy chain a while ago so you'll now find me jamming with the band as it takes last requests.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

To give up to death is to deny the struggle to stay alive. There is still energy to be utilized. The fight is not done and I will not concede defeat. At 92 there s still much joy in the morning cup of coffee and a roll and the energies of evolution are not in defeating death but in the fight itself to remain alive. There is nothing more.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I also enjoy coffee and eating, among other things. Being in a panic tends to dampen the enjoyment of those things, though, so I prefer not to panic if I can swing it.

But how can you justify spending a single moment self-indulgently relaxing with coffee when there is a planet to save! Yikes! You should be out there every waking moment, fighting the good fight! To do otherwise is to give up! Don't stop now, Jan! Do you think being a mere 92 gives you the excuse to slacken off and start enjoying yourself for no good reason when the world is in such a state?? Tsk tsk tsk indeed. Alas, they don't seem to make old people like they used to :D
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

I have no idea how old you might be, but just restocking my kitchen is stretching my physical limits so the least I can manage is to inspire bright people like yourself not to throw in the towel. Panic is quite energizing when properly directed.And unnecessary deprivation by not eating breakfast is just a weird form of useless torture. If nothing else, I might inspire second thoughts in you.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

There is a talk by Noam Chomsky which covers much of this current discussion. He is as disturbed as I am but he is far better informed on the inevitabilities and presents in a far better way what might be done. It is well worth the time to listen to. It is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yc-30_Dnx4
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Jan Sand wrote: May 4th, 2018, 6:40 amI have no idea how old you might be, but just restocking my kitchen is stretching my physical limits so the least I can manage is to inspire bright people like yourself not to throw in the towel. Panic is quite energizing when properly directed.And unnecessary deprivation by not eating breakfast is just a weird form of useless torture. If nothing else, I might inspire second thoughts in you.
I was just teasing, of course - you have surely paid your dues :)

Theists on other forums have often tries to inspire or shame me into being religious, and they regularly point out the great efficacy of their faiths to convince me to switch to "their side". Such efforts meet similar stony ground because they assume that others attend these forums for the same reasons as they do. People come to these forums for various reasons, with many hoping to promote their little causes or brainwaves.

I don't chat about life's deeper issues to save my soul or the world - I'm just curious, not much keen on small talk, enjoy having people test and question my ideas, plus a side interest in being more accepting of death and other things I can't control.

More than anything I want to know what is going on in the big picture - what is becoming and what stage we are at in that journey. For all we know, the Earth's life might be akin to an embryo, a foetus, a baby, a child, a teenager, a young adult, a mature adult, in decline or on death's door. In terms of potential growth and development, humanity could be any of these things.

So my attitude could probably be encapsulated as "Yes, we are all doomed, but that's okay in the long term". In terms of morality, I have simple tenets - to try to be kind and to operate with a light touch.

The dinosaurs were doomed and that turned out well, for nature is structured so that growth relies on destruction. Naturally, there are no guarantees. Wondering whether this current extinction event will turn out as positively in the long term as the Cretaceous–Paleogene event is akin to wondering whether any living system will manage to grow to maturity. Sometimes things works out, sometimes not.

I'll see the Chomsky video later.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

As has been said, life is a crapshoot. But as long as we can throw the dice it's worth the try. Don't write off the dinosaurs. They lived for many millions of years while we have been around for only a couple of hundred thousand. Their great cities have crumbled into dust and there remains no evidence of the successful mass flight of their rocket fleet which moved the best of them to some more accommodating solar system but if we survive this current disease of idiots who have learned the delights of masturbating with finance to kill everything we may get to shake hands with their descendants.

My latest blog on the brain game at https://jansandhere.wordpress.com/ is an attempt to discern what we are about.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

The dinos were a dead end. Size became the main advantage, but it's a terrible disadvantage when resources are tight. If they were abstractly intelligent like humans, they would not have lasted so relatively stably for millions of years, and long ago would have used up too much of nature and fled to safer places.

Humans will encounter a similar problem in that they are accustomed to high energy lifestyles. The masses that brought humanity its initial empowerment in nature are the ones in danger. The elites plus their circles are obviously at some risk, but FAR less. Imagine the scale of event needed to make Trump think twice about ignoring environmental concerns. It would need to be so many disasters of such magnitude that his own formidably insulated existence was impacted.

Nice blog and poetry. Your Coming Out poem reminds me of a thought that occurred to me - that we are thrown into this world confused, kicking and scream and not so much changes afterwards :)
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Admittedly the fragmented bones incarcerated in rock that testify to monstrous killing machines and some of their victims are persuasive but probably preservations of our current times, after millions of years, might , as well, testify to the dominance of cows and chickens which we produce in the billions and have a high probability of becoming fossilized. Nature is not very democratic in this type of rare preservation and, like the presence of a universal intelligence that might have clumsily assembled our universe out of an advanced hobby kit, we still need some actual evidence to accept firmly that possibility. There is much we do not know.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

We are yet to find signs of dino technology :)
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Even a hacksaw or a hammer becomes interesting dust in a million years or two. Perhaps they were skilled in genetic engineering and created birds or our own small furry ancestors. Probably took their computers with them when they left.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Steve3007 wrote:But is there a role in life for this kind of hopeless idealism?
It seems much more hopeless now than it did back then. "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" is becoming less true all the time.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

It is hard to determine when and how a critical upsurge in mass awareness of an immense change in world opinion may arise but the possibilities of total obliteration from the most odd idiocies of those now in control of the world but it might be triggered by something well within the realm of expectations. The longer it is delayed, the more fierce the reaction will be. The anesthetics of information corruption will not withstand reality when it arrives in force.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream