what is beauty?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
LuckyR

Re: what is beauty?

Post by LuckyR »

arjand wrote: December 31st, 2020, 8:09 am
LuckyR wrote: October 25th, 2018, 2:23 am

Cuteness is not equivalent to beautiful
It depends on what the nature of Beauty entails. As it appears to me, the universal nature of Beauty is derived from the perception of success (value) relative to the purpose of life, the finality of the discovery of "good".

When one views a cute puppy dog, the aspect that may be perceived as Beauty would not be the cuteness property of the dog but it's finality on behalf of what can be considered "good", in which cuteness could be a major aspect.

The finality of the dog relative to what is "good" cannot be defined because "good" cannot be defined. One can merely feel it (pleasure or delight) while one knows that success (value) relative to the serving of the purpose of life is universal (objective).

The reason that "good" cannot be defined is the simple logical truth that something cannot be the origin of itself which implies that "good" cannot be valued and cannot be proven to exist using empirical science.

The realness of emotions such as pain proves that "good" is real.

The reason that Beauty is perceived as objective and universal, is that it is based on value relative to the purpose of life which origin is undefinable but common sense.

The purpose of life is "good". If the purpose of life were to be other than "good", it would imply that it can be valued by which the concept 'purpose' would lose its meaning.

Valuing must precede the senses and thus valuing must precede the human, animal and plant alike. The reason that valuing must precede the senses is that valuing requires a distinguish ability which it appropriates from what can be indicated as "good". Since "good" cannot be valued itself due to the simple logical truth that something cannot be the origin of itself, valuing cannot originate in the individual.

A purpose of life is essential for value to be possible because for value to be possible, it is required that "good" existed beforehand.

Value follows from the discovery of "good" and thus the valuer (the human, animal or plant) can find purpose in the serving of life by discovering what is "good".

Based on this logic, Beauty would originate from the potential to perceive the intrinsic value in the world relative to what is "good".

What is "good" in a human? What is perceived as ugly by some, is perceived as great beauty by others. As an example, some find Stephen Hawking truly beautiful. This could be explained when one finds beauty in the success relative to the purpose of life, the value that has been created by the discovery of "good", in others.

It also explains why people can find Beauty in poetry, philosophy and other intellectual performances.

From the perspective of a professor, a philosophy study that breaks boundaries in insights and knowledge and is constructed in such a way that it delights professors, may be perceived as truly beautiful. For others, it could be something small, for example a subtle writing style that hints at a certain care that provides inspiration for eternity.

Conclusion: Beauty is not merely in the eye of the beholder. The Universal element is derived from the value relative to the purpose of life which origin is undefineable, but common sense.
Anything is possible but your posting is far from Universal. Many would find Angelina Jolie "beautiful" in her role as Maleficent.

"As usual... it depends."
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

According to my logic, the result of artistic innovation can be perceived as beauty. The ability to perceive success in a result relative to the pursuit of "good", can be considered common sense. It cannot be defined, but it isn't purely subjective.

Angelina Jolie is considered one of the most beautiful woman in the world. Her look is an artistic extension of her natural beauty. Perhaps when viewing the film and seeing her in an emotional context, the beauty of her specific look is intensified by the meaning (purpose) that would provide significance to her look.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Jklint wrote: October 25th, 2018, 4:09 am
Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 3:22 am Can something “ugly” be “cute”?
As usual, it's all in the eye or ear of the beholder or listener.
By that logic a apple can be a banana ... it is all merely subjective!

I think it’s fair to say that something ‘cute’ is not viewed with any hint of repulsion whereas something ugly possesses (by definition) an element of repulsiveness, ergo ‘cute’ cannot be ‘ugly’ and neither can an apple be a banana (even though we can agree that they are both fruits).

Muddled semantics merely makes something sound profound and/or intriguing, but once you use our rational nature you’ll find it’s a vacuous/lazy stance.

Note: I’m not saying words are rigid empirical devices ... but ‘empirical’ is a word fashioned to suit a certain agreed purpose in communication. In colloquial speech terms can be used more fluidly and creatively, but in philosophical discussions it pays to be more wary of the exactitude of the ‘tools’ we use to communicate complex thoughts and ideas (ie. select and use word concepts within the limits of common technical usage rather than deflect any question by questioning the specific meaning of well worn terms like ‘cute’ or ‘ugly’.
AKA badgerjelly
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

Perhaps it might be helpful in defining the beautiful to compare in the same experience the ugly, the monstrosity, for art is experience. I somehow think there is a relation to the celebration of being, to the disorder, chaos, and decay of non-being. Disorder, imbalance, disharmony all head in this direction. Something about the beauty of being in its highest degree, it highest refinement is rapturous. The rhythms of life in a fine painting can be almost overwhelming.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

If I had to use one word as a synonym for beauty it would be symmetry. It doesn't completely explain what we regard as beautiful but it nevertheless remains a fundamental factor in how beauty is defined. This doesn't imply that whatever is symmetric is therefore beautiful.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Tegularius wrote: April 17th, 2021, 11:32 pm If I had to use one word as a synonym for beauty it would be symmetry. It doesn't completely explain what we regard as beautiful but it nevertheless remains a fundamental factor in how beauty is defined. This doesn't imply that whatever is symmetric is therefore beautiful.
There are tons of examples of asymmetrical beauty. Symmetry cannot be a synonym of beauty, but just a potential form of beauty.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 18th, 2021, 10:49 pm
Tegularius wrote: April 17th, 2021, 11:32 pm If I had to use one word as a synonym for beauty it would be symmetry. It doesn't completely explain what we regard as beautiful but it nevertheless remains a fundamental factor in how beauty is defined. This doesn't imply that whatever is symmetric is therefore beautiful.
There are tons of examples of asymmetrical beauty. Symmetry cannot be a synonym of beauty, but just a potential form of beauty.
Symmetry in the natural world by way of color, form, design can make quite a potent impression on one's sense of harmony, aka, beauty.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Tegularius wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:15 pm
Symmetry in the natural world by way of color, form, design can make quite a potent impression on one's sense of harmony, aka, beauty.
That goes to my point, that symmetry can be beautiful does not mean that symmetry is beauty. There can be beauty in asymmetrical forms.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:39 pm
Tegularius wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:15 pm
That goes to my point, that symmetry can be beautiful does not mean that symmetry is beauty. There can be beauty in asymmetrical forms.
I agree that beauty can exist asymmetrically; It depends on what it's applied to. That's the reason I added it does not imply whatever is symmetric must be beautiful. I should have expressed it better. But as mentioned, symmetry is definitely a powerful means of creating it though not the only one. Nevertheless, it is still regarded as the norm for aesthetics.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Tegularius wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:15 am I agree that beauty can exist asymmetrically; It depends on what it's applied to. That's the reason I added it does not imply whatever is symmetric must be beautiful. I should have expressed it better. But as mentioned, symmetry is definitely a powerful means of creating it though not the only one.
Symmetry is one of many possible ways to achieve a good aesthetic result in combination with other factors. Most classical architecture was symmetrical, but there are many other periods where asymmetry was very common and produced beautiful works. And not all art forms relied that much in symmetry: painting and sculpture have always exploded the freedom that asymmetry allows.
Tegularius wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:15 am Nevertheless, it is still regarded as the norm for aesthetics.
I disagree, it has never been THE norm for aesthetics, but one tool of composition among many.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Beauty is the perfection of being.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

popeye1945 wrote: April 25th, 2021, 12:53 am Beauty is the perfection of being.
Ha ha, nice one. There's way more beauty than perfection, just sayin'.
"As usual... it depends."
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Ha ha, nice one. There's way more beauty than perfection, just sayin'.
[/quote]

Good point, but little worry since there is no such thing as perfection. I do get your point though!!!
remy
New Trial Member

Post by remy »

I believe beauty is when someone or something fulfills your wishes and needs at the point in your life that you're at when you consider it beautiful. It also could strongly depend on what the person/object does for you as a whole whilst contributing to your emotional health, physical health, mental health, etc. and if it is attractive to you in any way.
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

Beauty is not subjective at all.

Beauty is an objective "element" like hot or cold.

Beauty is beauty is beauty. Hot is hot is hot.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream