Is there anything beautiful?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Vita
Favorite Philosopher: Dostoevsky

Is there anything beautiful?

Post by Vita »

I know it is pointless to argue about something we do not know, but I wonder if our idea of beauty was drawn from somewhere. All cultures have different “art”, per se, but regardless of religion we must have gotten our idea of beauty/art somewhere, something that was 100%.
stevie

Re: Is there anything beautiful?

Post by stevie »

Vita wrote: April 4th, 2022, 12:05 am I know it is pointless to argue about something we do not know, but I wonder if our idea of beauty was drawn from somewhere. All cultures have different “art”, per se, but regardless of religion we must have gotten our idea of beauty/art somewhere, something that was 100%.
"Beauty" is a cognitive feature etched in biochemical structures of the human brain so that a combination of sense stimuli is experienced as "beautiful".
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Vita wrote: April 4th, 2022, 12:05 am I know it is pointless to argue about something we do not know, but I wonder if our idea of beauty was drawn from somewhere. All cultures have different “art”, per se, but regardless of religion we must have gotten our idea of beauty/art somewhere, something that was 100%.
Isn't 'beauty' just a judgement we make of something we see (or hear, etc)? It (the 'beautiful' thing) is out there, but our perception of it being likeable is internal to ourselves; a human value-judgement? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Vita
Favorite Philosopher: Dostoevsky

Post by Vita »

stevie wrote: April 4th, 2022, 4:55 am
"Beauty" is a cognitive feature etched in biochemical structures of the human brain so that a combination of sense stimuli is experienced as "beautiful".
So there should be a biochemical combination that is so beautiful everyone loves it.
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Astronauts report to experience pure beauty when they view earth from space. Astronauts describe a transcendental experience called 'Overview effect on Earth' which is an intense emotional experience that can best be described as "interconnected euphoria".

Perhaps it provides a hint. The experience of beauty may be caused by an experience of a part of the interconnected euphoria of earth, of 'Gaia on earth' (life on earth).

Topic: 👨‍🚀 Astronaut's 'Overview effect on Earth' (interconnected euphoria)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17693

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_philosophy
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 4th, 2022, 7:00 am Isn't 'beauty' just a judgement we make of something we see (or hear, etc)? It (the 'beautiful' thing) is out there, but our perception of it being likeable is internal to ourselves; a human value-judgement? 🤔
How could it be when Gaia is overreaching the meaning in which an individual is to find itself a part? With the idea of Gaia, one is logically to have the idea of beauty existing and originating beyond oneself.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

psyreporter wrote: April 4th, 2022, 11:37 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 4th, 2022, 7:00 am Isn't 'beauty' just a judgement we make of something we see (or hear, etc)? It (the 'beautiful' thing) is out there, but our perception of it being likeable is internal to ourselves; a human value-judgement? 🤔
How could it be when Gaia is overreaching the meaning in which an individual is to find itself a part? With the idea of Gaia, one is logically to have the idea of beauty existing and originating beyond oneself.
Just for the record, I didn't intend to insinuate that Gaia philosophy is necessarily valid. My reply was based on the knowledge that Pattern-chaser advocates Gaia philosophy and is a self-proclaimed Gaian Daoist.
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 12:22 pm I believe God exists, and She is an emergent property of life, the Universe and Everything. Thus, She is not a creator-God. She is more like the soul of Everything, just as the Universe is the 'body' of Everything. She is Gaia, extended to embrace all that is, not just this tiny planet. No? OK, it makes sense to me. 😉 When asked, I describe myself, religiously or spiritually, as a 'Gaian Daoist'. Make of that what you will. 😉
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Kant thought that aesthetics is objective in a realm outside of human values. Others, including the postmodernists saw the way in which values are based on meanings, and deconstructed these. The emphasis became on the subjective aspects of beauty and art. However, there is probably basis for seeing intersubjective aspects of beauty with culturally shared aesthetics.

There are certain measures of beauty but the division between beauty and ugliness is a questionable area. That is not simply because of the subjective aspects but in the clearcut distinction between beauty and ugliness.
The two are binary distinctions which have cultural significance, but especially sociologically in the way people are perceived. This is partly in relation to the media and also how there are specific rankings of beauty. That is probably more true in relation to women because people are more likely to use the term to describe women. However, the issues of beauty, especially looks also applies to men. More teenage boys are beginning to experience eating disorders as well as girls, which is likely related to body image and ideals about beauty and ugliness.

The extreme depiction of the idea was in the writing of the story of 'The Elephant Man', who was based on the life of a real man. One interesting aspect which I found in reading the story of the man was that in spite of what were regarded as 'deformities', he was described as having beautiful hands. So, there may be aspects of beauty in those who are often perceived as ugly as well as ugly parts of those most commonly described as beautiful. Of course, tastes in human beauty vary and it may be that seeing beauty in appearance alone is rather shallow.

However, the reason why I am speaking of beauty specifically in connection with humans is that the way in which it is seen can be detrimental sometimes, especially if the term is used as a sweeping judgement. It is likely that most people have concepts of beauty in their mind which influence their likes and dislikes but it may be worth thinking about the applications of the ideas in relation to life in relation to philosophy.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Vita wrote: April 4th, 2022, 9:19 am
So there should be a biochemical combination that is so beautiful everyone loves it.
"biochemical structures" refers to brain regions and their neuronal networks. If an excitation is conducted along particular neuronal paths and combinations thereof due to sense stimuli then the subjective experience "this is beautiful" arises. There seems to be a commonality among humans as to these "biochemical structures" but this commonality is no perfect fit, i.e. what different individuals and individuals from different cultures experience as "beautiful" may be not exactly the same. Also due to so called "plasticity" of the brain the "biochemical structures" may change in the course of time due to external and internal conditions. Nevertheless to a certain degree there seems to be a common sense of "beauty" which is specific for human species due to the human brains they have.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

psyreporter wrote: April 4th, 2022, 11:37 am How could it be when Gaia is overreaching the meaning in which an individual is to find itself a part? With the idea of Gaia, one is logically to have the idea of beauty existing and originating beyond oneself.
In religious/spiritual terms, I have long referred to myself as a 'Gaian Daoist'. I can see no reason to believe or assume that Gaia is compatible or incompatible with external beauty. How or why do you think that Gaia supports the idea of beauty being in the thing, and not in the 'eyes' of the beholder?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Exactly. As in most subjective assessments, the labelling reveals much more about the one doing the labelling, than what is being labeled.
"As usual... it depends."
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:42 am In religious/spiritual terms, I have long referred to myself as a 'Gaian Daoist'. I can see no reason to believe or assume that Gaia is compatible or incompatible with external beauty. How or why do you think that Gaia supports the idea of beauty being in the thing, and not in the 'eyes' of the beholder?
The idea of Gaia would imply that Gaia is in the essence of what can be considered beautiful. The spirit and product of life as a whole is in which a thing or individual is to find meaningful existence, and thus beauty would reside within, or be a product of Gaia. Without Gaia, there would be no meaning and thus no beauty.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

psyreporter wrote: April 9th, 2022, 6:50 am The idea of Gaia would imply that Gaia is in the essence of what can be considered beautiful. The spirit and product of life as a whole is in which a thing or individual is to find meaningful existence, and thus beauty would reside within, or be a product of Gaia. Without Gaia, there would be no meaning and thus no beauty.
I'm afraid I can't make head or tail of this. Why/how is Gaia "in the essence of" beauty?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Not the essence of beauty but "the essence of what can be considered beautiful" when Gaia is to be considered an embodiment of fulfilment of what can be considered 'good' when it concerns earth and life as a whole. The human as a part of Gaia would only be able to acquire meaning through Gaia.

What do you think of the 'Overview Effect' in which astronauts report to experience a transcendental experience purely by looking at earth?

The Case for Planetary Awareness
But first we should understand why we don't already know of this profound experience, despite decades of astronaut reports.
http://overview-effect.earth/

The Overview Effect
It’s hard to explain how amazing and magical this experience is. First of all, there’s the astounding pure beauty of the planet itself, scrolling across your view at what appears to be a smooth, stately pace... I’m happy to report that no amount of prior study or training can fully prepare anybody for the transcendental experience this causes.
https://www.psychologyinaction.org/psyc ... iew-effect
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

psyreporter wrote: April 28th, 2022, 10:08 pm Not the essence of beauty but "the essence of what can be considered beautiful" when Gaia is to be considered an embodiment of fulfilment of what can be considered 'good' when it concerns earth and life as a whole. The human as a part of Gaia would only be able to acquire meaning through Gaia.
This doesn't mesh with my own understanding, although that understanding is a spiritual one, so contradiction is not an issue here. But I see Gaia as the 'soul' of Life, the Universe and Everything, just as the physical Universe is its 'body'. As such, Gaia is not really the epitome of beauty, or of the opposite, but just a representation/representative of Life? I would definitely quarrel with Gaia being 'good' but not 'evil', for such terms are meaningless without careful qualification. Even then, they serve no useful purpose that I can see. I think Gaia is a sort of distillation of Life, not an embodiment of the 'good' bits only.

psyreporter wrote: April 28th, 2022, 10:08 pm What do you think of the 'Overview Effect' in which astronauts report to experience a transcendental experience purely by looking at earth?
I think it's just an extreme version of what many people feel just by looking out at the world. It is wholly understandable, and I would be surprised if most of us did not share this same feeling if we also were able to gaze down upon our world as astronauts have done.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream