Art vs. Work Of Art

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
gad-fly

Re: Art vs. Work Of Art

Post by gad-fly »

Consul wrote: September 11th, 2022, 5:33 pm The big problem is to formulate a general definition of "art(work)" which covers all kinds of art and historically everything from cave paintings to Duchamp's ready-mades, from traditional naturalistic&realistic art to abstract art and conceptual art.

Kinds of art (with "art" and "craft" not used synonymously):

1. architecture
2. cinema
3. conceptual art
4. culinary art/art of cooking (haute cuisine) [ordinary cooking is just a craft]
5. dance
6. drawing
7. fashion/art of clothing (haute couture) [the ordinary making of clothes is just a craft]
8. literature
9. music
10. opera
11. painting
12. performance art (happenings)
13. photography
14. printmaking [e.g. lithography and woodcut – ordinary printmaking such as the printing of newspapers is just a craft]
15. sculpture
16. theater
17. video art

Your mentioned "big problem" can be reduced by defining art as:
The glow of non-functional and non-physical significance, following creation of works.

In this respect, art may be found even if the creation does not arise with art in mind. Conversely, a creation with art in mind, which is a work of art, may not be art if it does not carry the glow. In layman term, a work of art may not be artistic, as can be seen in drawings by kids.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Consul wrote: September 11th, 2022, 5:33 pm The big problem is to formulate a general definition of "art(work)" which covers all kinds of art and historically everything from cave paintings to Duchamp's ready-mades, from traditional naturalistic&realistic art to abstract art and conceptual art.

1. architecture
2. cinema
3. conceptual art
4. culinary art/art of cooking (haute cuisine) [ordinary cooking is just a craft]
5. dance
6. drawing
7. fashion/art of clothing (haute couture) [the ordinary making of clothes is just a craft]
8. literature
9. music
10. opera
11. painting
13. photography
14. printmaking [e.g. lithography and woodcut – ordinary printmaking such as the printing of newspapers is just a craft]
15. sculpture
16. theater
17. video art
I'm not sure about the distinction between art and crafts that you apply to these practices. Some of them I would surely categorize as crafts, but then: what are your definitions of arts and crafts?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 12th, 2022, 7:01 pm

1. architecture
2. cinema
3. conceptual art
5. dance
6. drawing
8. literature
9. music
10. opera
11. painting
13. photography
15. sculpture
16. theater
17. video art
I'm not sure about the distinction between art and crafts that you apply to these practices. Some of them I would surely categorize as crafts, but then: what are your definitions of arts and crafts?
To many art is distinguished from craft in that an artist creates a new (to him, at least) creation, whereas a craftsman produces a piece that is a copy of an already existing original.
"As usual... it depends."
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

LuckyR wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:37 am

1. architecture
2. cinema
3. conceptual art
5. dance
6. drawing
8. literature
9. music
10. opera
11. painting
13. photography
15. sculpture
16. theater
17. video art
To many art is distinguished from craft in that an artist creates a new (to him, at least) creation, whereas a craftsman produces a piece that is a copy of an already existing original.
This doesn't seem to explain the distinction. Although many craftsmen reproduce identical copies of the same piece, there's ample room for variation and even small innovations, without leaving the world of crafts. On the other hand, following the same criteria, the performance of a piece following the instructions of its author (such as a musical score or a theatrical script) could never be considered the work of an artist. All videos, even those of the news, are different creations. Are they all art? All of photography?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 13th, 2022, 7:55 pm
LuckyR wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:37 am

1. architecture
2. cinema
3. conceptual art
5. dance
6. drawing
8. literature
9. music
10. opera
11. painting
13. photography
15. sculpture
16. theater
17. video art
This doesn't seem to explain the distinction. Although many craftsmen reproduce identical copies of the same piece, there's ample room for variation and even small innovations, without leaving the world of crafts. On the other hand, following the same criteria, the performance of a piece following the instructions of its author (such as a musical score or a theatrical script) could never be considered the work of an artist. All videos, even those of the news, are different creations. Are they all art? All of photography?
So what do you think is the difference? I'm saying a craftsman possesses the skills of production, an artist also possesses the skill of creation.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

LuckyR wrote: September 15th, 2022, 3:04 am So what do you think is the difference? I'm saying a craftsman possesses the skills of production, an artist also possesses the skill of creation.
To clarify this, it would be nice if you could answer the following question: is the creator of the latest iPhone an artist? Is it the designer of the newest Ferrari?
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 15th, 2022, 11:17 am
LuckyR wrote: September 15th, 2022, 3:04 am So what do you think is the difference? I'm saying a craftsman possesses the skills of production, an artist also possesses the skill of creation.
To clarify this, it would be nice if you could answer the following question: is the creator of the latest iPhone an artist? Is it the designer of the newest Ferrari?
The latest iPhone? No, it's just a rework of a design. Not an innovation, an evolution.

The original Movado watch OTOH is part of the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art.

The newest Ferrari might be a brand new model, but is likely to be an evolution of the Pininfarina 308GTB design from 1975. So it is unlikely to be considered art (and it's designer an artist) by those outside of the sportscar community.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 13th, 2022, 7:55 pm Are they all art? All of photography?
For example, I wouldn't call ordinary holiday snapshots works of art.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

LuckyR wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:09 pm
The latest iPhone? No, it's just a rework of a design. Not an innovation, an evolution.

The original Movado watch OTOH is part of the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art.

The newest Ferrari might be a brand new model, but is likely to be an evolution of the Pininfarina 308GTB design from 1975. So it is unlikely to be considered art (and it's designer an artist) by those outside of the sportscar community.
That was not very convincing. The Movado watch, as interesting and original as it was, was still based on the manufacturing practices of preexisting wrist watches, to which some innovations were added. You could perfectly call that an evolution on wrist watches. Its creator is usually regarded as an industrial designer, the same type of creator that is responsible for designing things like iPhones or cars. All industrial designs are creations, and many of them are designed to look different, to be distinct from each other, so why aren't they all considered the work of artists?
Consul wrote: For example, I wouldn't call ordinary holiday snapshots works of art.
The point is what makes them "ordinary".
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 16th, 2022, 7:18 pm
LuckyR wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:09 pm

That was not very convincing. The Movado watch, as interesting and original as it was, was still based on the manufacturing practices of preexisting wrist watches, to which some innovations were added. You could perfectly call that an evolution on wrist watches. Its creator is usually regarded as an industrial designer, the same type of creator that is responsible for designing things like iPhones or cars. All industrial designs are creations, and many of them are designed to look different, to be distinct from each other, so why aren't they all considered the work of artists?
Consul wrote: For example, I wouldn't call ordinary holiday snapshots works of art.
The point is what makes them "ordinary".
Well part of the problem with your commentary is you're ignoring the role of the audience in determining whether they find the work "artistic".
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

LuckyR wrote: September 16th, 2022, 10:51 pm Well part of the problem with your commentary is you're ignoring the role of the audience in determining whether they find the work "artistic".
I'm not ignoring it, since it is understood that you and me, as members of an audience, are discussing how to determine whether something is a work of art or a craft. Maybe you agree with some audiences about their criteria to determine that something is a work of art, but that's precisely what I'm asking: what is that criteria? As I have shown, the criteria that you mentioned first, doesn't seem to be consistent, something must be missing.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:10 pm
LuckyR wrote: September 16th, 2022, 10:51 pm Well part of the problem with your commentary is you're ignoring the role of the audience in determining whether they find the work "artistic".
I'm not ignoring it, since it is understood that you and me, as members of an audience, are discussing how to determine whether something is a work of art or a craft. Maybe you agree with some audiences about their criteria to determine that something is a work of art, but that's precisely what I'm asking: what is that criteria? As I have shown, the criteria that you mentioned first, doesn't seem to be consistent, something must be missing.
Actually there are two related yet separate topics, I addressed one, now you're shifting to the other. I addressed artists vs craftsmen, you're discussing what makes art, art. I was taking about creators, you're talking about creations.

Obviously a creator can create many things, some might be art, others not. If some of it is art, he's an artist (pertaining to that particular piece). If other creations aren't art, he's still an artist, by label, though pointing out his non artistic pieces adds no additional information to that label.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

LuckyR wrote: September 17th, 2022, 1:25 pm
Actually there are two related yet separate topics, I addressed one, now you're shifting to the other. I addressed artists vs craftsmen, you're discussing what makes art, art. I was taking about creators, you're talking about creations.

Obviously a creator can create many things, some might be art, others not. If some of it is art, he's an artist (pertaining to that particular piece). If other creations aren't art, he's still an artist, by label, though pointing out his non artistic pieces adds no additional information to that label.
I asked Consul what were his definitions of arts and crafts to find a distinction. You said that the distinction was the creation of something new vs the reproduction of something previously created. I've been staying within these boundaries set by yourself, so I don't see how I could be addressing different topics. One should assume that artists make art (pertaining to a particular piece), while craftsmen make crafts (also pertaining to a particular piece), and therefore, keeping within your definitions, a person is an artist when he/she creates something new, while a craftsman or a craftwoman when he/she reproduces something previously created.

I gave you examples of both things created as new and reproduced, yet your distinctions between creation and reproduction, between art and craft, between artist and craftsman, don't seem to apply. There are many new designs, that is, innovations, in everyday life, yet they are not treated as art objects. OTOH, there are many reproductions, such as performances, which are said to be instances of art.There's something missing in your definitions.

For many centuries, there was no distinction between an artist and a craftsman in relation to the novelty of what they produced. People that made objects for practical everyday life or rituals were praised as highly skilled if they produced (or reproduced) things perceived as beautiful or technically correct (as in the art of hunting or speaking in public). During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the guilds of painters or sculptors were not different in conception than the guilds of carpenters and barbers. Many of such associations had a master and disciples which worked with the reproduction of the same designs, which is why sometimes many praised works of Rembrandt or Tintoretto are found to be made by their pupils. The emergence of art in its modern conception of artists as individual genius and their work as made exclusively for aesthetic contemplation, art for art's sake, began during the Romantic period. That conception, however, has slowly being on decline. Most of what you see in art galleries today is nothing but craft, at best.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Consul

Post by Consul »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 18th, 2022, 1:47 pmI asked Consul what were his definitions of arts and crafts to find a distinction.
I'm sorry, I have no definitions of these terms yet that are ripe for presentation. :oops:
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 18th, 2022, 1:47 pm
LuckyR wrote: September 17th, 2022, 1:25 pm

I asked Consul what were his definitions of arts and crafts to find a distinction. You said that the distinction was the creation of something new vs the reproduction of something previously created. I've been staying within these boundaries set by yourself, so I don't see how I could be addressing different topics. One should assume that artists make art (pertaining to a particular piece), while craftsmen make crafts (also pertaining to a particular piece), and therefore, keeping within your definitions, a person is an artist when he/she creates something new, while a craftsman or a craftwoman when he/she reproduces something previously created.

I gave you examples of both things created as new and reproduced, yet your distinctions between creation and reproduction, between art and craft, between artist and craftsman, don't seem to apply. There are many new designs, that is, innovations, in everyday life, yet they are not treated as art objects. OTOH, there are many reproductions, such as performances, which are said to be instances of art.There's something missing in your definitions.

For many centuries, there was no distinction between an artist and a craftsman in relation to the novelty of what they produced. People that made objects for practical everyday life or rituals were praised as highly skilled if they produced (or reproduced) things perceived as beautiful or technically correct (as in the art of hunting or speaking in public). During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the guilds of painters or sculptors were not different in conception than the guilds of carpenters and barbers. Many of such associations had a master and disciples which worked with the reproduction of the same designs, which is why sometimes many praised works of Rembrandt or Tintoretto are found to be made by their pupils. The emergence of art in its modern conception of artists as individual genius and their work as made exclusively for aesthetic contemplation, art for art's sake, began during the Romantic period. That conception, however, has slowly being on decline. Most of what you see in art galleries today is nothing but craft, at best.
That is a nice summary. Given that context it seems my original comment is directed at the distinction between art and craft among what is classicly appreciated as art. Say a poster vs an original oil.

In modern times, certain industrial products have crossed the line into art. You're right, there are industrial designers who create new nonartistic, functional pieces routinely. Let's take the rake In Advance of the Broken Arm who's the artist? (Assuming that it is art, which is not universally accepted). It's not the worker who made that exact rake, it isn't even the original designer of that rake, or even the inventer of the first rake, it's the artist who had the (new) idea to give it a name and hang it in his gallery.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream