Art, Imagination and 'Truth': How May Romanticism and Realism Be Understood Philosophically?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
JackDaydream

Art, Imagination and 'Truth': How May Romanticism and Realism Be Understood Philosophically?

Post by JackDaydream »

This question is one which I think of frequently as I have a strong interest in the arts, including both visual arts and literature. I have been thinking about it in relation to John Higgs' ' William Blake Vs the World' (2021). In this book Higgs looks at the idea of imagination in the widest sense, in relation to the way in which William Blake draws upon imagination in the widest sense. He says, 'we take imagination for granted, we rarely stop to imagine what a strange phenomenon it is...It is the realm of daydreams when we sleep, or daydreams when we are bored, and those fantasies and nightmares are frequently little help in paying the mortgage. Imagination, as intellectuals claim, can appear to be a lesser thing than intelligence or reason. Yet when you examine those higher, more celebrated forms of cognition, you realise that they too are dependent on imagination.

It could be said that Blake as a visionary poet and painter was at the extreme end of the spectrum in drawing upon the creative imagination in the arts. He was a visionary but may be considered in relation to the movement of romanticism, which incorporated a love of nature, as expressed in the writings of Wordsworth and Coleridge.

Within the arts, it seems that the philosophy of realism has had a large impact, as well as the movement of postmodernism in understanding the construction of symbolic reality. I wonder where this leaves the art of fiction and visual art. It may be that fiction has gone more in the direction of psychological narratives, but aspects or exploration in magical realism, as well as fantasy, cyberpunk and steampunk may show the importance of symbolism, similarly to movements such as surrealism.

One key aspect which I see is are the arts are about the imitation of nature or something more? Realism in the form of the arts may be about imitation, with photography as one technical representation. However, it may be that the artistic portrayal of truth goes much deeper, incorporating aspects of psychological and mythical understanding. How may realism, based on the external world or romanticism, which incorporates the human imagination, be considered philosophically in relation to 'truth' and human meaning?
JackDaydream

Re: Art, Imagination and 'Truth': How May Romanticism and Realism Be Understood Philosophically?

Post by JackDaydream »

I am just reading through what I have written and as I can't edit on the site, I simply wish to say that the quote from HIggs ends at the end of the first paragraph, although he does consider the romantic movement in the arts in relation to that of realism within his book, saying 'A mental model of the real world can extremely useful. It allows us to make predictions and help us decide how to act' So, it is not about seeing the imaginary as an alternative to the everyday 'real', but more about seeing aspects beyond the physical and naturalistic representations.
JackDaydream

Re: Art, Imagination and 'Truth': How May Romanticism and Realism Be Understood Philosophically?

Post by JackDaydream »

I just wish to add Higgs' description of imagination as a starting point for considering the artistic approach to reality,
' For Coleridge, there was an important difference between imagination and simple fantasy. Most people in the twentieth- first century assume that "imagination " means simply making stuff up. This is not what Coleridge meant when he talked of the imagination, although he would have thought this was a fair description of fantasy. For Coleridge, fantasy was essentially a form of mental collage that took existing ideas and put them together, in a way that was unrelated to the real world of time and space.'

So, in this way the idea of imagination is about greater levels of awareness than everyday awareness. It may be that the arts facilitate an awareness of such perspectives as an alternative, but possibly complementary understanding picture of truth, revealing subjectivity and deeper layers of the self and the subconscious aspects of human understanding.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: June 13th, 2022, 11:55 am This question is ...
... whether you are suffering from restlessness ... considering the regularity you start new threads.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:23 pm
... whether you are suffering from restlessness ... considering the regularity you start new threads.
I start a lot of threads and I am sure it is related to something missing in my life. However, part of the reason I started this thread today was my fascination with the poetry of William Blake and, in doing so, I was hoping to start a thread which may be a little different from some of the areas of philosophy which are being discussed repeatedly in so many threads. However, it is likely that no one will be interested in my discussion of Blake and the imagination. Eventually, I will probably give up posting on the forum if no one is interested in the areas which interest me, and go back to reading and thinking about philosophical alone, and leave the people who think that they are the 'experts' to carry on here.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

JackDaydream wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:34 pm
I start a lot of threads and I am sure it is related to something missing in my life. However, part of the reason I started this thread today was my fascination with the poetry of William Blake and, in doing so, I was hoping to start a thread which may be a little different from some of the areas of philosophy which are being discussed repeatedly in so many threads. However, it is likely that no one will be interested in my discussion of Blake and the imagination. Eventually, I will probably give up posting on the forum if no one is interested in the areas which interest me, and go back to reading and thinking about philosophical alone, and leave the people who think that they are the 'experts' to carry on here.
Just out of interest, I know that you see science and commonsense thinking as the only ones worth considering. On this basis, I wonder if you see imagination and the arts, including visual arts, fictional literature and music, as having any value at all, especially in relation to understanding the nature of 'truth'.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Just out of interest, I know that you see science and commonsense thinking as the only ones worth considering.
If you understand "considering" as "public talk about" then yes, I "see science and commonsense thinking as the only ones worth considering" but if you understand "considering" as "thinking about privately" then no, because I use to think about non-scientific and non-commonsense verbal expressions of others, too.
JackDaydream wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:42 pm On this basis, I wonder if you see imagination and the arts, including visual arts, fictional literature and music, as having any value at all, especially in relation to understanding the nature of 'truth'.
"imagination and the arts, including visual arts, fictional literature and music" certainly don't have any bearing on "truth", since "truth" is an epistemological category.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:54 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Just out of interest, I know that you see science and commonsense thinking as the only ones worth considering.
If you understand "considering" as "public talk about" then yes, I "see science and commonsense thinking as the only ones worth considering" but if you understand "considering" as "thinking about privately" then no, because I use to think about non-scientific and non-commonsense verbal expressions of others, too.
JackDaydream wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:42 pm On this basis, I wonder if you see imagination and the arts, including visual arts, fictional literature and music, as having any value at all, especially in relation to understanding the nature of 'truth'.
"imagination and the arts, including visual arts, fictional literature and music" certainly don't have any bearing on "truth", since "truth" is an epistemological category.
I come from an entirely different angle and see the arts as an essential aspect of 'truth'. However, it is not as if I wish to disregard the sciences, because they are about the basis of reason as a source of explanation. It may be complementary to the emotional and imagination as connecting understanding. Surely, the sciences have value but understanding without any understanding of the senses, and the inner aspects of human life is an extremely flat picture of the universe and reality. It is likely that a writer, like Blake, or artists such as Dali, are at the extreme end of the spectrum of creating symbolic universes, but if the arts and imagination are removed from the picture of philosophy entirely, what may be left is a very flat worldview.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

I just wish to steer my thread back.on track because I would imagine that it is unlikely that most people on the forum would disregard imagination and the arts completely in seeing 'truths'. Therefore, I will say that Higgins, in his critique of Blake, understood imagination in the following way,
'The French poet Charles Baudelaire called it "the queen of the faculties" and insisted that , 'Imagination created the world. " Pablo Picasso told us that , " Everything you imagine is real".'

I am not wishing to undervalue science, but it may be that philosophy is going in the direction of seeing the descriptions of science in an extremely concrete way. That is not to say that they are not important, in establishing explanations on the basis of reason. However, certain aspects of the 'truths' of human life may be bound up in metaphors and stories. In thinking about one's own narrative life stories, a lot of it is grounded in what happened literally, or what is constructed of this in memories and imagination, as a starting point for depictions of 'truth' as realised by each person. Even those who see 'truth' as an epistemological reality, depending on science, may do so on the basis of interpretation of experience. Whether one becomes a visionary dreamer like Blake, or someone who sees the world in the barest structure of realism is a perceptual mode, and, even the most materialist scientific picture contains a certain amount of artistic imagination, even if those who formulate such models wish to deny any artistry of description. Words and theories may be important, but images, which have a basis in the sensory aspects of perception, are unlikely to be superseded entirely as human beings have sense organs, as a basic feature of sentience.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream