What is Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: What is Art?

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 5:35 amYou are confusing art with the EXPERIENCE of art, which as you say can be similar to experiencing nature.
That's what I have been speaking about with Conte - the EXPERIENCE of art. I have been parsing the experience of art from created art.

Trouble is, you broke my post into pieces without context and thus exactly missed the point.

I will be pleased when the toxic habit of breaking up posts to remove context is gone from this forum.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 6:45 am
Sculptor1 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 5:35 amYou are confusing art with the EXPERIENCE of art, which as you say can be similar to experiencing nature.
That's what I have been speaking about with Conte - the EXPERIENCE of art. I have been parsing the experience of art from created art.

Trouble is, you broke my post into pieces without context and thus exactly missed the point.

I will be pleased when the toxic habit of breaking up posts to remove context is gone from this forum.
You are being somewhat disingenuous here.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 6:45 am I will be pleased when the toxic habit of breaking up posts to remove context is gone from this forum.
What I'd said was.
"Except that there is no art very little art in nature. Art is culture. It's the result of conscious praxis."

If there is nothing wrong with that, then why attack it with your repeated fallacy that...

Art is in the observer's head. ...

Which was your immediate response.
In a thread about What Is Art. It is simply not helpful to conflate the purely solipsistic experience of art and/or nature. This says nothing about art at all.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 1:42 am
Count Lucanor wrote: April 12th, 2020, 1:09 am
I would say that at some levels, there is a difference in the experience. Anyway, that will only tell about the experience itself, not what triggered it in the first place, which is what the question of what is art is looking for. Besides, finding something pleasant to the senses has not always being identified with art, sometimes it was meant to produce exactly the opposite reaction.
Sure there's a difference. There is a difference between being inspired by the form of clouds and being inspired by the forms of microbes too. Simply, different things trigger different thoughts. However, the situation is still basically a matter of forms that trigger dopamine release in some brains. I am not aware of the production of extra brain chemicals released by humans in response to human-made forms, as opposed to forms produced by environment. Maybe oxytocin in love songs? Then again, I'd say the Yosemite double rainbow guy is enjoying an oxytocin hit too :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI
Again, you seem to be focused in qualifying general sensory experiences in individuals that could be related to aesthetic enjoyment, but that tell us very little about art itself, as a cultural phenomenon in societies. It is very likely that at physiological and cognitive levels, general faculties that are present in many individual transactions with the environment, including basic experiences as tasting food, will be also present in our dealings with other pleasures, such as aesthetic ones. And no doubt that a feeling of awe at the presence of a unfamiliar natural phenomenon, such as a double rainbow, could be assimilated into our understanding of the possible conditions of art, but it does not suffice.
Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 1:42 am "Being identified with art" is not actually related to what I was speaking about. Classifications of art made by external consensus need not be related to what one experiences. A good example is John Cage, who interpreted everyday sounds as music. He loved the sound of many amusical noises that occurred incidentally around him in much the same way as one might love the sound of a well-played cello.
Even the most individualistic, personal conception of art, which necessarily involves a categorization, will be inscribed in the social environment where this person grew up.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Count Lucanor

Correct. It says little about the art itself. I never meant for my observation to be considered a be-all-and-end-all position. I was just pointing out that the experience of art is entirely reliant on the observer and that an "artistic experience" can be had through nature and other things that are not art. This says nothing about what we define as art, and is not meant to. That's another layer that tends to be more closely tied to social and egoistic concerns.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 5:43 am
Count Lucanor wrote: April 12th, 2020, 1:12 am

Not really. Not after centuries of highly developed forms of artistry. Can we compare a good cook with Bach's art in the Mass in B minor? Hardly.
Absolutely we can - unless you are a complete snob.
You might want to look into some examples of high cuisine.
I'd place my home made lemon meringue way over The Fountain.
I'd place a the artistry in a good chippendale way over any piece of music to come out of the charts in the last 20 years.
Well, if you want to put your lemon dessert in the same category as a work extensively recognized as a work of art, that is your personal choice and preference, to which you are entitled. However, it doesn't say anything about what the rest of us should categorize as art and on what basis.

On the other hand, it can be categorically asserted that no good cooking or simple craft can stand in the same category of artistic value as a good work of art. If evoking the great masters like Bach of whomever might sound snobbish, we could restrict our comparison to any other less renowned artist, anyone endowed with artisan capabilities, for example Juan Francisco Casas, the hyper realist that only draws with a Bic pen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DcWIRuJG8

Anyone can make a good pudding.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 7:31 pm @Count Lucanor

Correct. It says little about the art itself. I never meant for my observation to be considered a be-all-and-end-all position. I was just pointing out that the experience of art is entirely reliant on the observer and that an "artistic experience" can be had through nature and other things that are not art. This says nothing about what we define as art, and is not meant to. That's another layer that tends to be more closely tied to social and egoistic concerns.
I guess that can be explained by the long term association of art with beauty, and beauty, we are told, is in the eye of the beholder. That relation has become more problematic now.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 12th, 2020, 8:05 pm
Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 7:31 pm @Count Lucanor

I guess that can be explained by the long term association of art with beauty, and beauty, we are told, is in the eye of the beholder. That relation has become more problematic now.
How so?
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Count Lucanor wrote: April 12th, 2020, 8:05 pm
How so?
I guess it started with the European avant-garde movements of early 20th century, as a reaction against bourgeois standards of taste, mostly concerned with imitating nature (that scene in Titanic where Kate Winslet gets thrilled by looking at a Picasso just couldn't happen). The new artists obviously were not simply creating ugly art, but a new conception of beauty that rested on new principles of composition and the place of art in society. It had to be revolutionary and cause shock, scandal. Also, mechanization in industry had made it easier to reproduce and standardize everyday objects and decorations. Photography and graphic design, mechanically reproduced, were having a heyday, so anyone wanting to be a good artist, at least in the traditional fine arts, didn't find enough motivation in producing what already was widely accessible. Eventually the gap between mass culture and elitist artists became wider, and the long tradition of what Xavier Ventos called "arte ensimismado" (I could only translate it as "self-absorbed art") began, then came pop art, then conceptual art and then here we are now.

You mentioned John Cage. He was one of many who contributed to this process.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Count Lucanor
Thanks for that detailed description. So, in summary, you feel that the blend of mass cultural movements and technology has lead to a dropping of standards, at least in the mainstream.

I see this as more the result of economic rationalisation than postmodernism. It appears to me that, in all areas of human endeavour, there are two major tranches - that of experts and of the masses. Popular culture is cheapening all the time as makers become ever more formulaic and risk averse in an ever more competitive market with ever fewer second chances available after failure. For instance, imagine a wonderful piece and arrangement like Classical Gas being a #1 hit today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREi_Bb85Sk. It's unimaginable. Meanwhile artistic masters an virtuosos are ever more common in elite levels due to the broader availability of high quality instructional material.

Olympians break ever more records while the masses become fatter. Scientists know more than ever before as the masses embrace anti-science conspiracy theories. Medical knowledge and medicines are always improving while patient care - which so much relies on a doctor knowing a patient and the way their bodies usually operate - becomes rationalised and fragmented.

The bifurcated state of the arts appears to be reflective of the increasing schism appearing in many in societies, the natural effect of decades of neoliberalism, with resources "trickling down" while gushing upwards.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 12th, 2020, 7:48 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 5:43 am
Absolutely we can - unless you are a complete snob.
You might want to look into some examples of high cuisine.
I'd place my home made lemon meringue way over The Fountain.
I'd place a the artistry in a good chippendale way over any piece of music to come out of the charts in the last 20 years.
Well, if you want to put your lemon dessert in the same category as a work extensively recognized as a work of art, that is your personal choice and preference, to which you are entitled. However, it doesn't say anything about what the rest of us should categorize as art and on what basis.

On the other hand, it can be categorically asserted that no good cooking or simple craft can stand in the same category of artistic value as a good work of art.
How absurdly wrong you are. Art is an empty exercise in vanity without the craft to make it.
Cite; "The Fountain". This is anti art. Drag a pit of pot out of a skip and sign it "Mutt". This is not art. There is more art in the original design of the piss pot.
If evoking the great masters like Bach of whomever might sound snobbish, we could restrict our comparison to any other less renowned artist, anyone endowed with artisan capabilities, for example Juan Francisco Casas, the hyper realist that only draws with a Bic pen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DcWIRuJG8

Anyone can make a good pudding.
No. Not everyone can make a good pudding. That's why I do the cooking in my home - because I am the best at it.
Bach had craft. He had to devote his entire life to the craft of making music. World standard chefs are no different.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 12th, 2020, 11:30 pm
Greta wrote: April 12th, 2020, 9:49 pm
How so?
I guess it started with the European avant-garde movements of early 20th century, as a reaction against bourgeois standards of taste, mostly concerned with imitating nature (that scene in Titanic where Kate Winslet gets thrilled by looking at a Picasso just couldn't happen). The new artists obviously were not simply creating ugly art, but a new conception of beauty that rested on new principles of composition and the place of art in society.
This is where art ended and the cynical exploitation of the so called "art market" began in earnest. Poor artists who resented the masters of their past and simply could not compete to do anything new, decided to do anti-art. The result was expensive mediocrity, which characterises the 20thC and "modern art".
There is more artistry in a brick wall that most of the 20thC's modern art.
It had to be revolutionary and cause shock, scandal. Also, mechanization in industry had made it easier to reproduce and standardize everyday objects and decorations. Photography and graphic design, mechanically reproduced, were having a heyday, so anyone wanting to be a good artist, at least in the traditional fine arts, didn't find enough motivation in producing what already was widely accessible. Eventually the gap between mass culture and elitist artists became wider, and the long tradition of what Xavier Ventos called "arte ensimismado" (I could only translate it as "self-absorbed art") began, then came pop art, then conceptual art and then here we are now.

You mentioned John Cage. He was one of many who contributed to this process.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 10th, 2020, 4:28 pm If The Fountain is art, then art is deception of the weak minded
...or a provocation of the mind
Sculptor1 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 5:43 am I'd place my home made lemon meringue way over The Fountain.

Your meringue however will not be upsetting people in a century.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Count Lucanor wrote: April 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm
According to your definition, Duchamp is an artist (because he made art) and Fountain (signed R. Mutt) was a work of art (because it was made by an artist).
There is one other factor - intention. We are not puzzling over chickens and eggs here.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 3:27 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 10th, 2020, 4:28 pm If The Fountain is art, then art is deception of the weak minded
...or a provocation of the mind
Sculptor1 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 5:43 am I'd place my home made lemon meringue way over The Fountain.

Your meringue however will not be upsetting people in a century.
It has given many pleasure, several people have asked for the recipe and have tried to copy it. That is enough.

Duchamps was as surprised as anyone about the reaction, originally intended more as a joke.
For my money, comedy is an art, but the Fountain is poor comedy. The lowest art possible.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream