What is Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Chadwhat

Re: What is Art?

Post by Chadwhat »

Art is the ability to cause emotion indirectly through a visible or obvious medium. Rather than through what is commonly understood as direct living, such as person to person interactions, or watching strangers. The medium can be aesthetic and invisible, but it has to be there. One can cause direct fear with a camera just like with a gun, so showing some innocent kids violent images obviously isn't artistic, even though it is realistic emotion based on something real happening. Nature isn't art, because it is direct. Another way to phrase it is that art doesn't have to be, but life does. Yet they remind one of the other such to the fact that it becomes the chicken or the egg question. I like what Hilda said about art being virtual reality over reality. It, art, is preferable to life because it is safe even when it is severe.

On more abstract levels, people will say about someone that so and so has turned their profession into an art, by which they understand an aesthetic medium or structure of some kind has been built invisibly as a filter for so and so's doings. They are not living directly without style, which is a certain organization (structure, crystalization) of thought, and the ability to live in such a way that it causes emotion with style and form as much as substance, is artistic living.

Bad art inspires despair and boredom, not indirectly, but directly as ugliness. It is itself repulsive, as if it were alive. As if Frankenstein was in your living room rather than in your mind. Whether that's art, who cares? Run.

Nature, life, and art produce similar emotions, but they are not the same. Some people are wired so as to need all three of them desperately, or one more than the other. Since people are complex, art deepens itself in many directions as it seeks to make them feel, but essentially, it's just that naked production of emotion, indirectly but certainly.
Last edited by Chadwhat on October 18th, 2011, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groktruth

Post by Groktruth »

Xris,

This quote seems, well, hypocritical:

"...but lets not make out that god is some great artist."

If I get your drift, you do not want to preached to, or pressured into becoming a Christian, or pagan Venus worshipper, because you admire religious art. Nor do believers, who are enjoying the notion that God is, indeed, some great artist, want to be lumped into some "lets" that is forbidden to do so.

Appreciating the art of the gardener, precisely because, as you stressed, the gardener was intending to create meaningful art, to communicate the wonderful, "Do you see what I see?" moment, broadens the positive impact of art on our lives. The believer who takes it a step farther, and senses God wanting to communicate with them the same way, ought to be encouraged to "make out that God is some great artist." Anyone appreciating an artistic moment is a better person for it, to all our prosperity.

And, who knows, maybe God is a great artist. Be good if it was true.

As for the negative stuff around, I now get it that you were being facetious when you attributed it to the devil. Now, why would that be? What would keep the devil, if he was a real person out there able to work in such media as tsunamis, from getting his message across artistically?

My grandmother used to say to me, when I was a piece of (devilish art?)work, "I don't know what has got into you!"

You wouldn't be opinionated about the hypothesis that the world is haunted, would you? Not a sound philosophical attitude, that.
Xris

Post by Xris »

The gardener is not creating art he is tending his garden. Nature creates the beauty but it's not art. Even if you believe in god, the purpose of god is not defined in some act of art. If you see god in autumn leaves, I will ask will , do you see him in the fire that destroys a forest? Your confusing a pretty or beautiful scene with art. Art is a human act to relate the artists with the viewer. If the artist paints a picture of god he is trying to relate his god or some other feeling to the viewer. I can appreciate that message or feeling without believing in god. What a strange god that creates to impress us with his artistic skills.
MJA

Post by MJA »

Natural Art

Does not a gardener design his garden?
Is not a garden designed?
Is not a design art?
Is not art designed?
And is not a gardener nature?
Is not a garden nature?
Are we not all nature?
Is not nature artistic?
Is not nature designed?
Is not nature art?
Surely Nature is everything,
And everything art.

=
MJA
Xris

Post by Xris »

MJA wrote:Natural Art

Does not a gardener design his garden?
Is not a garden designed?
Is not a design art?
Is not art designed?
And is not a gardener nature?
Is not a garden nature?
Are we not all nature?
Is not nature artistic?
Is not nature designed?
Is not nature art?
Surely Nature is everything,
And everything art.

=
MJA
Design is not art. Nature is not art. Everything is not art.
Chadwhat

Post by Chadwhat »

hilda wrote:In a queendom men (I mean heterosexual men not gaydom "hetrosexuals") have only two options which are either anarchism or art.
What is a queendom?
Apeman

Post by Apeman »

Design is not art. Nature is not art. Everything is not art.
Yes, so as I strain to keep my grammar, punctuation, syntax, spelling, typographical errors and originality in alignment with the good moderators of this forum, I can only be in kind and friendly support of Xris' refined and unadorned comment above. Those three things mentioned are indeed NOT art at all ever. I will now bid a momentary farewell with good grace and politeness lest I carry-on and submit myself to further deleting and excluding (by the great fault of my challenging, addressing or contradicting of some of the retorts here-in).
"Take it an' GO!"
Groktruth

Post by Groktruth »

Truth being as painful as it usually is, I can understand the fervent limitations on what art may be, that are expressed here. For, in my experience, art, inspiring art, anyway, is a key part of knowing what is true. Like trustworthy authority, it helps in deciding what ideas are worth investing in, in order to appaise their truthfulness.
All truth, of course, must be confirmed by several sources. Art is one of these.

But, those, how do they say it? "with their heads in the sand" to avoid seeing what scares them need to marginalize, if not kill, the messenger. So, for them, true art becomes some random, meaningless event.

Three cheers for free will.
Remana Liply

Post by Remana Liply »

Art is Creation. Creation is Art.
Apeman

Post by Apeman »

Sorry, my bad. I seem to file every response under the "what is art?" question. As I see it as the most urgent matter to the human experience.
Last edited by Apeman on October 24th, 2011, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take it an' GO!"
Xris

Post by Xris »

Apeman wrote:I suppose those athletes noted above would indeed be better at their "sport" on a non vegan diet. They are not at the "top" of their game, or anywhere near the elite members of their game...so yes, they could be better. But by the strength of their convictions regarding the treatment of (seemingly only furry?) animals, they have overcome a diet that is not as densely nourishing as one welcoming the vastness of nutritional possibilities. The "experts" on the internet will contradict each other - and diet fads come and go. Veganism seems to be suited over a primarily moralist skeleton. And it has yet to be agreed-upon just what exactly is "right" and what exactly is "wrong". Vegans (and other groups, religion and trend-ridden) indeed decidedly NOT to eat the greater amount of food available. Our physiologies have evolved to eat MANY things to be able to perform the function of a vitalized survival - but yet, we may be too smart or too aware (or too gullible) for our own good; finding plenty of esoterica and etherea and ideology to get in the way of a proper meal.

Me, I eat as well-rounded a diet as possible, containing lots of everything; and I suppose "health" is decided by the amount of energy and intensity and vigor one can present when it is needed. Also, good nutrition permits attained "strength" that has much to do with how one interacts with the demands of the physical world; which can, in turn, affect outlook, worldview self-confidence and general potency. Everyone possesses a variation of "conscience" which continually puts up for considering the "way" of nature. But Nature doesn't care, and the animals and bugs and plants and organisms (and all of THOSE possess equal amounts of "life") have no such concerns. Our bodies tell us that we should eat what we CAN eat, and to eat what FUELS us - nothing more, nothing less.
We need the art of good moderator here friend to move your post to the correct thread.
Aestheticaddiction
New Trial Member

Post by Aestheticaddiction »

To me, art is possibly everything and nothing at the same time. I tend to think of art as an idea or concept that is not tangible that is conveyed by something that is tangible. If you show something like Starry Night to a kid in today's age that has yet to learn about Van Gogh - the reaction is vastly different from the period in which it was made, and also the reaction over the years that has made it as famous as it is today. The painting, the physical existence, to me, is not art. What it stands for is art, and I think that what it stands for can be built upon over time.

Continuing with this piece as an example, there are a number of reasons its held in such regard. The most talked about one is that it was very different stylistically, short quick brush strokes, compared to other works at that time. While style sometimes can seem to be a superficial quality, it is not always just about aesthetics. It introduced an entirely different way of thinking. What may make it art is not only the fact that no one before him really painted like that, but why did no one paint like that? What is it that inspired Van Gogh to paint in such a way? Its a very mind boggling question. There are a lot of people that look at Starry Night and go "I could paint that". And sure, you probably can, but you didn't think of it first.

This is a fraction of how I regard art, I may come back and expand on other ideas later. But generally I regard it as a way for people to put something out there that cannot be said in words, or in the case of poetry and writing, cannot be stated matter of factually. But I don't think that art stops when the piece is complete, and I also don't think art has to be intentional either.
Groktruth

Post by Groktruth »

Aestheticaddiction wrote:To me, art is possibly everything and nothing at the same time. I tend to think of art as an idea or concept that is not tangible that is conveyed by something that is tangible. If you show something like Starry Night to a kid in today's age that has yet to learn about Van Gogh - the reaction is vastly different from the period in which it was made, and also the reaction over the years that has made it as famous as it is today. The painting, the physical existence, to me, is not art. What it stands for is art, and I think that what it stands for can be built upon over time.

Continuing with this piece as an example, there are a number of reasons its held in such regard. The most talked about one is that it was very different stylistically, short quick brush strokes, compared to other works at that time. While style sometimes can seem to be a superficial quality, it is not always just about aesthetics. It introduced an entirely different way of thinking. What may make it art is not only the fact that no one before him really painted like that, but why did no one paint like that? What is it that inspired Van Gogh to paint in such a way? Its a very mind boggling question. There are a lot of people that look at Starry Night and go "I could paint that". And sure, you probably can, but you didn't think of it first.

This is a fraction of how I regard art, I may come back and expand on other ideas later. But generally I regard it as a way for people to put something out there that cannot be said in words, or in the case of poetry and writing, cannot be stated matter of factually. But I don't think that art stops when the piece is complete, and I also don't think art has to be intentional either.
I was told once that to become a great artist, I needed to do what other great artists had done before me, as well as they had done it. And then to move on, looking for the "first" or timely way of doing things in this moment. Discipline, then tune into my "muse." My muse, they said, would wait in the wings until I had proved my receptivity, by submitting to the masters.

I took the lesson with me into science, but if still helped me find today's great art.
Nazreen
New Trial Member

Post by Nazreen »

I do believe that art is creation made from tools that forms one thing into a greater or another thing that which pleases the beholder who sees what he/she wants to see or feel at the time.
Groktruth

Post by Groktruth »

Nazreen wrote:I do believe that art is creation made from tools that forms one thing into a greater or another thing that which pleases the beholder who sees what he/she wants to see or feel at the time.
I imagine someone with a really good radio, tuning into some sort of cosmic programming, and so either clarifying, or amplifying, a message that others are also getting, but with static and poor reception. Artists have better spiritual antennae. Which is why we call great art "inspired!"

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream