The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Children and Music

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Misty
Contributor

Re: Children and Music

Post by Misty » June 24th, 2012, 7:26 pm

A Poster He or I wrote:Love of pop music and love of Mozart don't necessarily represent any kind of developmental spectrum. And they certainly don't preclude each other.

I grew up with 60's pop and The Beatles were my favorite. I was exposed to classical music haphazardly but was mostly intrigued by the orchestra, not the music (which I didn't understand).

At age 13, I heard the opening of Beethoven's 6th Symphony in a movie I was watching and it blew my mind. A real epiphany. I spent the next few months listening to every classical record I could get from my local library and have loved classical ever since (though not opera).

My love of pop and rock never suffered for this. I love Abba as much as Mozart. They are apples and oranges to me: comparing them is merely an academic exercise. When I hear one I respond to its musical language alone, whichever it is.
Have you heard 11 yr. old Jackie Evanko sing opera? A pure voice. I never liked opera until I heard her. If you have not heard her you can go to you tube - Type her name and Susan Boyle ' A Mother's Prayer' (singing together) then listen type PBS concert Jackie Evanko singing alone - unbelievable!
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.

Jklint

Re: Children and Music

Post by Jklint » June 25th, 2012, 1:57 am

For those of you who don't like opera, you have to start at the bottom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jv3lL6imzU