THE STORYTELLER Some of the story in 1936 and from 1913 to

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
RonPrice
Favorite Philosopher: Plato

THE STORYTELLER Some of the story in 1936 and from 1913 to

Post by RonPrice »

Part 1:

This prose-poem is a personal analysis of some of the ideas of Walter Benjamin(1892-1940). Benjamin was a German literary critic, philosopher, social critic, translator, radio broadcaster and essayist. In his writing he combined elements of romanticism, historical materialism and Jewish mysticism, Benjamin made enduring and influential contributions to aesthetic theory and Western Marxism. He was associated with the Frankfurt School, a school of interdisciplinary social theory.

The ideas I am most concerned with here are found in his essay, The Storyteller, published in 1936.(1) He was concerned, among other things in that essay, with the incommunicability of experiences in the modern world. The storyteller, said Benjamin in that essay, had served the role as the guardian of tradition, part of a chain of tradition which passed a happening on from generation to generation.

“Through the storyteller,” writes Miguel Santos-Neves, “memory leaves the past to be morphed into and in the present.”(1) That is no longer the case or, it is more accurate to say, that there are dozens, even hundreds, of traditions, which are being preserved for modern man in a cacophony of languages, voices, myths and traditions. In some ways, the storyteller has only begun his journey through the lives of the billions of people who have and who now inhabit the planet.

In the 20th century the theme of incommunicability, though, is often found in such places in the literary and philosophical world as: the theatre of the absurd, nihilism, deconstruction and post-modernism, as well as some varieties of existentialism, inter alia. Benjamin’s essay attributes the fall of the storyteller in the last century, the years after WWI, to the problem of sharing experiences.

While I find the writings of Benjamin provocative, and often reflect my own experience and views, I often find that what he says is, when viewed from another perspective, an inaccurate perception of the society I now live in. If what he says is accurate, it is often only a partial truth, a partially accurate reflection and analysis of the world I live in, analyse and observe. This is especially true of the storyteller and storytelling.

Part 2:

His essay, The Storyteller, is an example of what for me is one of Benjamin’s partial truths. Benjamin states that after WWI people became unable to reflect accurately upon their experiences, in part because of the dramatic influx, and rapid distribution of information. He asserted that the rise of information, the information overload, was incompatible with storytelling, and contributed to the diminished efficacy of the storyteller. Before World War I, people received information locally. Rumours and information were spread verbally, from person to person, not read or watched. People’s knowledge of the outside world in 1913, compared with 2013, was scarce and nowhere near as graphic.

Benjamin asserted that World War I crystallized a change in the perception of many things.(2) He believed that societal norms were transformed, not suddenly but progressively, slowly, over time, as knowledge seeped into people’s lives, as technology expanded and events like WW I took place. After World War I, people struggled to communicate their experiences. World War I was one of the most traumatizing events in human history. It had significant cultural, political, and social ramifications. Traumatizing events have continued, seemingly unabated into the 21st century, and communication has remained a problem.

Part 3:

In The Storyteller Benjamin focuses mostly on the social consequences of the Great War. According to Benjamin, when the soldiers returned from World War I, they were simply unable to communicate their experiences. They returned to a world transformed by the war. This transformation, of course, has been happening, a fortiori, as the decades of the 20th and 21st centuries have succeeded one another. For millions, modern technology, the mass media and mechanical warfare have changed everything. This was not true for large segments of our global society whose lives remained relatively unchanged until the last decades of the 20th century since most of modern technology did not reach many of the hunting and gathering communities and much of the third world, and when it did reach them it was oh so slowly.

Benjamin communicates his conception of the changes as follows: “A generation that had gone to school on a horse-drawn streetcar stood under the open sky, after WWI, in a countryside in which nothing remained unchanged but the clouds, and beneath these clouds, in a field of forces of destructive torrents and explosions, was the tiny, fragile human life.” Many soldiers had grown up knowing a slow-paced, effectively unchanging lifestyle. But after the war, this kind of lifestyle was ripped from their grasp. The world was immediately affected by the great quantities of information and this led to a metamorphosis of the greater society. Life became fast-paced and information-driven. While some were reaping the so-called benefits of the new age, many were left behind and this dichotomy between rich and poor, advanced and underdeveloped, peoples is still with us.

Part 4:

Benjamin correlates the dramatic increase in the dissemination of information with the quick decline of the storyteller. According to Benjamin, the beauty of the storyteller was his ability to communicate a story and allow the audience to integrate that story into their own experience. Critic Peter Brooks expands on this idea, stating that the storyteller gave the narrative “a chaste compactness that commended it to people’s memory.”(3) The story sank into the listener, and the experience made the storyteller and the reader one. In turn, according to Brooks, a type of wisdom was imparted to the listener. Through narrative and discourse, people were able to reflect upon experiences and share them with others. Ultimately, it was the integration of experience by the use of open narrative, of storytelling, that led to wisdom.(2)–Ron Price with thanks to (1) Miguel Santos-Neves, Reflections on Walter Benjamin’s The Storyteller in Texas Theory Wiki, (2) Leo Hall, The Modernism Lab, Yale University; and (3) Peter Brooks, Psychoanalysis and Storytelling, Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 1994, p. 81.

Well, Walter, 80 years after your essay, I think the picture is so very different from the one you saw far1 back in the 1930s….People are now drowning in stories, & sharing them with millions-billions; and integrating more wisdom than ever in history…

The world has been transformed just about out of all recognition except for those clouds in the sky and the ground beneath our feet over those 100 years.2

Back in 19361 the Plan was activated and systematically, for that world, that field of forces and their destructive torrents, all the explosions, on the tiny, fragile human lives… You got that right Walter-yes sir-ee-bob!!!

The world of the story-teller has just begun; he has returned to us with a vengeance in so many more ways than one: read that thesis of Areti Dragas, his PhD thesis at Durham Uni.3

1 In 1936, Benjamin’s essay was published and the Baha’is of North America were asked to implement Abdu’l-Baha’s teaching Plan for the extension of His Father’s faith throughout the world. See Shoghi Effendi, 30/5/’36, in Messages to America: 1932-1946, Baha’i Pub. Committee, Wilmette, 1947, p.7.

The translation series Selected Writing contributes to an effort, intensified in recent years, of presenting unfamiliar facets of Benjamin's work in the English language. This third volume of the series presents selected writings from the years 1935-38.--Howard Eiland, Michael W. Jennings, eds.: Walter Benjamin: Selected Writing: Vol.3 1935-1938, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 2002.

2 1913 to 2013

3 Areti Dragas, The Return of the Storyteller in Contemporary Literature, Durham theses, Durham University. Available at Durham E-Theses Online: http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/2877/ , 2007.

Ron Price 13 & 14/1/’13.
married for 46 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 14, and a Baha'i for 54(in 2013)
RonPrice
Favorite Philosopher: Plato

Re: THE STORYTELLER Some of the story in 1936 and from 1913

Post by RonPrice »

Sorry, Dirty Universe, I have no idea what your message means.-Ron Price, Australia
married for 46 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 14, and a Baha'i for 54(in 2013)
Logic_ill

Post by Logic_ill »

I'm not sure how to comment on this post. I like that thought and consideration has been given to the storyteller. I might imagine there were far less then there are today, who have discovered the power of their own storytelling. Even so, it serves as an awakening of who we are or who we might possibly be.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

No expert, but I'm more familiar with Benjamin in his Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. He posits that the work of art has something which cannot be reproduced, an aura, and attention must be paid to it. He worries about art becoming ubiquitous, having less worth, he is afraid that some harm is coming from reproduction of artworks. It seems like he takes the same stance with the Storyteller.

Things change, things are lost and gained, not to worry. No need to whine or long for the way things were.
fair to say

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream