Graffiti & Girls

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Graffiti & Girls

Post by Hereandnow »

When we talk we agree to basic body of assumptions regarding what is what: I say 'chair', you hear it and are familiar with the convention of using those verbal noises to associate with certain sensory intuitions, their form, contexts of menaing,etc. and we have agreement. Most of this, of course, is vast and tacitly acknowledged only. The accepted wisdom on this agreement is that it is only possible if we actually have the same kind of experiences. The complexity of the language and its success in making for agreement suggests there is a great deal that is held is common. So, since the the art world, whatever field the same is true: there isa lot of aesthetic communication on among afficionados, professionals, suggesting that judment has, if not strictly speaking, objective(of course, this spills over into everything since objectivity in communication is actually only intersubjective agreement, is true objectivity even possible? That is why I am such a fan of Husserl, Kierkegaard, et al; these guys put truth at the center of subjectivity, where verifiability is direct and intuited, There are arguments against this, obviously) very solidly intersubjectively in tact. If aesthetic evaluative language is like this, it must be the case that there are shared aesthetic experiences that can be evaluated in like ways.
Pastabake

Post by Pastabake »

I'm not disputing whether or not we can agree on what a chair is ... I agree that we can dissect art into things such as tone, timbre, melody, brush stroke, colour etc ... the problem is that art is not the sum of its parts.

I don't see where the inter-subjective agreement comes in when as I pointed out earlier many great novelists have fallen out of favour ... dropped from being great art to landfill.

I feel that pronouncements on what constitutes 'good' art are a fiction, at best the story of a democracy with a very narrow franchise, constantly being rewritten by its fleeting constituents. At worst the dictatorship of oligarchs.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

I'm not disputing whether or not we can agree on what a chair is ... I agree that we can dissect art into things such as tone, timbre, melody, brush stroke, colour etc ... the problem is that art is not the sum of its parts.

I don't see where the inter-subjective agreement comes in when as I pointed out earlier many great novelists have fallen out of favour ... dropped from being great art to landfill.

I feel that pronouncements on what constitutes 'good' art are a fiction, at best the story of a democracy with a very narrow franchise, constantly being rewritten by its fleeting constituents. At worst the dictatorship of oligarchs

But the agreement we have about the world is the basis for a belief that we have similar experiences. Technically, even ordinary objects cannot be reduced to language any more than aesthetic emotions. You never witness the phenomenon of a chair in my head; rather you depend on the system of sounds and signs that we have an evolved agreement on to point to, if you will, things "out there". It is the details and the consistency that make it work, but never an actual sharing of what has been called qualia, the subjective raw feels. These remain entirely beyond the reach of others. So, just as the consistency and specificity of talk of chairs (clouds, mountains, pens, and all empirical items) gives rise to an inference that there is considerable similarity in the way we experience things, the same consistency in our aesthetic judgments provides for a similar inference here.

As to aesthetic judgments changing in time (things dropping from being art) you argue that such change indicates a failure of the world to provide a consistent basis for the same kind of objectivity you find in things standardly considered to be objective, like chairs and the rest. But rather than a lack of agreement, it is simply the failure for things to endure in their acknowledged value. We get tired of a genre, or, the genre wears itself out, becomes repetitive;it would appear that our tastes, people's in general, that is, are not as relentless as Picasso's, which never tired of painting the same bottle over and over. One could argue that since this occurs to society as a whole, as one movement, the loss of interest in a particular art form is actually indicative of a shared art experience.

If judgment in art were a fiction, then statements like "that interpretation/performance really did not work at all" would be meaningless and resting on the error tht one can be better than another. But, of course, there are perfectly horrible wroks of art out there and jdgment against them can be well explained and validated. Now, there is not perfect agreement on this, but then, your example of the color blind goes to removing objectivity from even simple perceptual objects. Do you want to claim there is no objectivity (intersubjectivity) here?
Pastabake

Post by Pastabake »

I think there's a fundamental difference between objects and ideas so I'm not so sure it's helpful to appeal to any agreement that we may have about such things and then extrapolate from one to the other.
Hereandnow wrote:the loss of interest in a particular art form is actually indicative of a shared art experience.
I think that this is where we differ most, I feel that such transient connections are better explained by factors extrinsic to the artwork itself. What does it mean to call something great art if a few weeks later it could be considered otherwise?

In using the word fiction I wasn't trying to say it was false but rather a story of the time. I'm not so sure that there are perfectly horrible works of art, sure there are plenty that I don't personally like but who am I to suggest that someone else's opinion is wrong?

Colour is a secondary attribute of perceptual objects ... I think we can all agree on the primary attributes of shape etc.

Any way it's clear that I should do a bit more reading on the subject so do you have some book suggestions?
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Funny how this issue pulls one this way and that. My greatest interest in aesthetics is not about agreement of standards of judgment. I already know that value, once taken up into the complexity of human affairs is very messy and inconsistent. But I want to know what value is. It's a metaethics/metaaethetics question. I remember reading Wittgenstein's Lecture on Ethics and his Culture and Value; these and others made me aware of the question of value: What is it? Why do things matter. Even Wittgenstein had a great respect for the suggestion of the mystical because it is at the front of our priorities but it is never seen, never witnessed in the observable world. Anyway, that is why I think ethics is the most important issue in philosophy. We can talk about meanings, but what meaning has meaning itself?

"Art" by Clive Bell; "Art as Experience" by Dewey; "The Art World" by Danto; "Defining Art" by Dickie.

These are the works remember most. I have in my soft library many, many works-books, articles, guides. It's enormous. If you could figure out how to have access of these withot using this web site (some are not strictly legally gotten, I think). I would be happy to give you as much as you like. More than ten gigs of philosophy.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream