The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

What's the point of art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Philosophy Explorer

What's the point of art?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » August 31st, 2013, 5:38 am

Some further questions will help you see what I'm driving at.

1) Does art help me live longer? - no

2) Does art make me healthier? - no

3) Does art make me happier? - no

I've just asked three of the most basic questions one can ask and I'm sure my negative answers would be shared by many. To clarify this thread further, the kind of art I'm referring to would be paintings, sculptures and handcrafts. So again, what is the point of art?

Rez

Re: What's the point of art?

Post by Rez » September 1st, 2013, 10:11 pm

Different forms of art effect different people in different ways.

As for a single point to it, I don't think there is one. For me it can be used to interpret something differently, make you see something in a different light. It can be to balance the feeling of a space. It makes me appreciate things that I may not normally see. It makes me feel certain ways. It makes me happy.

As for physical benefits, there are many. Practicing arts like dance can not only increase physical health but also keep the mind healthy, instead of being bogged down with stress and such, of course all art forms can do the latter.

So for most people I think they'd answer "Yes" to all of the above questions. As for you, I pity someone who cannot appreciate art.