All Day I Hear- James Joyce

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Mayanka

Post by Mayanka »

I'm looking to analyse it in a unique way.

All day I hear the noise of waters

Making moan,

Sad as the sea-bird is when, going

Forth alone,

He hears the winds cry to the water's

Monotone.

The grey winds, the cold winds are blowing

Where I go.

I hear the noise of many waters Far below.

All day, all night, I hear them flowing To and fro.
Dolphin42

Re: All Day I Hear- James Joyce

Post by Dolphin42 »

Like a lot of people, I suspect, I have several works of James Joyce on my bookshelf and one day I'm definitely going to read one of them past the first page.

I've never heard this poem before and the first thing that strikes me is the contrast between black-and-white and full-colour. The winds are monotone and grey. But the sound of waves is white noise - i.e. full colour.

But that's probably too physicsy an interpretation. And even if it was the intention of the author, I can't see why.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Making moan,

Forth alone,

Monotone.

Where I go.

The first stanza of the poem evokes the loneliness and desolate beauty of the sea environment, the melancholy solitude of the sea-bird in the blind and ancient trinity of bird, water and wind. This is the macrocosm of waking life, pregnant with hidden danger.

The second stanza speaks of the journey down into the microcosm, falling in to the chasm of sleep, where the poet is followed by the echoes of the distant sea and hears the voice of the Unconscious "many waters Far below". The "flowing to and fro" is the underlying tapestry of both sleep and waking.
Mawileonhihe
New Trial Member

Post by Mawileonhihe »

It was the curry I tell you! :D
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Hmmmmm: First the word choice. this is obvoiusly not a celebration of the sea or any possible metaphorical interpretation. It is solitary and plaintive testament of one who is afficted and bears the suffering privately. the poem gives the reader a brief glimpse into the world of a abiding suffering and isolation. The poem is written in the third person and uses a variety of imagery, especially auditory imagery, to convey a sense of isolation and misery. The title's first words 'All day' suggests a condition that is continues without pause and is thus, in its constancy, uninterrupted in its effect on the poet. The poet imagines himself a seagull, a bird noted especially for its long excursions out to sea with the threat of not having enough strength to return. The sea itself is, of course, a standard symbol of the unknown, the abyssal, suggesting a lostness or an estrangement from the "shore" of engaging events. (The sea was for Melville's Ahab and dangerous place where the familiar, moral, structured world is abandoned for, if you will, evil possibilities beyond the grace of God.) For the seagull, the 'wind cries', the noise of the water 'moans' and the cold wind blows. Imagery here is clear: ........................Sorry, no time to finish. A little help?

-- Updated January 15th, 2014, 3:52 pm to add the following --
Hereandnow wrote:Hmmmmm: First this is a solitary and plaintive testament of one who is afficted and bears the suffering privately. the poem gives the reader a brief glimpse into the world of a abiding suffering and isolation. The poem is written in the third person and uses a variety of imagery, especially auditory imagery, to convey a sense of isolation and misery. The title's first words 'All day' suggests a condition that is continues without pause and is thus, in its constancy, uninterrupted in its effect on the poet. The poet imagines himself a seagull, a bird noted especially for its long excursions out to sea with the threat of not having enough strength to return. The sea itself is, of course, a standard symbol of the unknown, the abyssal, suggesting a lostness or an estrangement from the "shore" of engaging events. (The sea was for Melville's Ahab and dangerous place where the familiar, moral, structured world is abandoned for, if you will, evil possibilities beyond the grace of God.) For the seagull, the 'wind cries', the noise of the water 'moans' and the cold wind blows. Imagery here is clear: ........................Sorry, no time to finish. A little help?

Hereandnow wrote:Hmmmmm: First this is a solitary and plaintive testament of one who is afficted and bears the suffering privately. the poem gives the reader a brief glimpse into the world of a abiding suffering and isolation. The poem is written in the third person and uses a variety of imagery, especially auditory imagery, to convey a sense of isolation and misery. The title's first words 'All day' suggests a condition that is continues without pause and is thus, in its constancy, uninterrupted in its effect on the poet. The poet imagines himself a seagull, a bird noted especially for its long excursions out to sea with the threat of not having enough strength to return. The sea itself is, of course, a standard symbol of the unknown, the abyssal, suggesting a lostness or an estrangement from the "shore" of engaging events. (The sea was for Melville's Ahab and dangerous place where the familiar, moral, structured world is abandoned for, if you will, evil possibilities beyond the grace of God.) For the seagull, the 'wind cries', the noise of the water 'moans' and the cold wind blows. Imagery here is clear: ........................Sorry, no time to finish. A little help?

Edison Maxwell
New Trial Member

Post by Edison Maxwell »

There's was a nice musical interpretation of this poem (Joyce was consciously writing lyrics during that time) by Jan Steele in 1976:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8SpYnYe77s

My interpretation is that the "seagull" flying above the "waters far below" is a metaphor for an individuated consciousness maneuvering, buffeted by "grey winds", while recognizing a deep ocean of subconsciousness - the "monotone" of "many waters" - far below.
cavacava

Post by cavacava »

Mayanka wrote: October 1st, 2013, 11:59 pm I'm looking to analyse it in a unique way.

Making moan,

Forth alone,

Monotone.

Where I go.

A few thoughts:

Well the poem is not typically organized as presented at least the way I'm seeing it. The second stanza is where I see a difference. The copies I found run it as follows:
Where I go.
I hear the noise of many waters
Far below.
All day, all night, I hear them flowing
To and fro.
The overall structure of the poem mirrors wave sets, one long line over a following shorter line (so perhaps in a sense one line crashes into the next). The rhyme scheme changes from 1st stanza to second. The echoing "moan", "alone" and "monotone", give way to "go", "below" and "fro...these round sounds. The poem's rhyme:
a,b,c,b,a,b
c,d,a,d,c,d

I wonder about Joyce's use of the word "noise" in the first line "All day I hear the noise of waters", 'Noise' suggests the sound is not appreciated by the lyrical narrator.
Oxford dictionary says "Middle English (also in the sense ‘quarrelling’): from Old French, from Latin nausea ‘seasickness’ (see nausea)."
Seasick nausea perhaps.

"The grey winds", suggests fog to me, where we can easily become lost, and we are only orientated by the sounds we recognize.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Perhaps the poet, the narrator is dead: time has no place, nor does space, for it is day and night that the wretched experience continues--he doesn't sleep, and therefore, time is suspended; and space is without definition as the winds blow cold, that is, without distinction (wind of any description is not spatially defined) save the discomfort of the cold. The grey, cold winds blow where he goes, implying he is going up and away, as a spirit might exiting the body, leaving the noise of the water far below. Of course, heaven is nowhere in sight. His is a kind of aerial purgatory??
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

That's a really beautiful poem.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

I read Ulysses by Joyce and concluded that it needed serious editing.

One day in the life of an Irishman in Ireland culminating in you-know-what to a leggy babe in a dress with her legs spread.

Not my idea of literature. Maybe a vain attempt at writing a graphic novel.

Certainly no comparison to the author of the Odyssey, who was probably originally Penelope, but who became cast as "Homer" in ancient Greek literature.

If you think about it, only Penelope could have written/told the story of Odysseus.

Just as only Helen could have written/told the story of Troy.

Homer was like a pseudonym.

Now … back to Joyce.
cavacava

Post by cavacava »

The following poem is thought to have inspired Joyce's "All Day I Hear".

“Autumn Song” by Paul Verlaine (1866)

When a sighing begins
In the violins
Of the autumn-song,
My heart is drowned
In the slow sound
Languorous and long

Pale as with pain,
Breath fails me when
The hours toll deep.
My thoughts recover
The days that are over,
And I weep.

And I go
Where the winds know,
Broken and brief,
To and fro,
As the winds blow
A dead leaf.

Some of the wording is strikingly similar to Joyce's, it too projects feelings into nature, and it too concentrates on sound. Verlaine's poem appears to be about getting old, and reminiscing about life, perhaps Joyce's poem also has some of this in it.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

The last verse of the Verlaine poem could stand alone. This poem is clearer than Joyce's, with its direct references to nostalgia of autumn, thoughts recovered, sighing and so forth--it is clearly a poem of plaintive departure. Joyce's poet is more tortured and lost, but about departure, and more purgatorial departure.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

cavacava wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 11:53 am The following poem is thought to have inspired Joyce's "All Day I Hear".

“Autumn Song” by Paul Verlaine (1866)

When a sighing begins
In the violins
Of the autumn-song,
My heart is drowned
In the slow sound
Languorous and long

Pale as with pain,
Breath fails me when
The hours toll deep.
My thoughts recover
The days that are over,
And I weep.

And I go
Where the winds know,
Broken and brief,
To and fro,
As the winds blow
A dead leaf.

Some of the wording is strikingly similar to Joyce's, it too projects feelings into nature, and it too concentrates on sound. Verlaine's poem appears to be about getting old, and reminiscing about life, perhaps Joyce's poem also has some of this in it.
Well that's by Paul Verlaine not by James Joyce.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Hereandnow wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 1:09 pm The last verse of the Verlaine poem could stand alone. This poem is clearer than Joyce's, with its direct references to nostalgia of autumn, thoughts recovered, sighing and so forth--it is clearly a poem of plaintive departure. Joyce's poet is more tortured and lost, but about departure, and more purgatorial departure.
"... purgatorial departure." -- Do you mean that I will need to pay in Purgatory for all those evil things I did?

Jes' I hope not. I hope the blood of Jesus will simply forgive me for being stupid when I was younger.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Joyce started his book Ulysses with a story about himself frying a calf's kidney and savoring the aroma and taste of urine in the meat for his breakfast.

Like everything else in the book there is a sexual double meaning to it.

I have tried calves' kidneys and they taste nasty. So does liver. Any liver.

Right now I am roasting half a chicken in my stove and it has a delightful aroma which fills the home. I'll have the dark meat parts and wing for dinner now and save the breast for homemade chicken noodle soup tomorrow. Out of my USD $6.00 chicken I therefore get four complete $1.50 meals -- better pricing than even McDonalds !! And certainly better than Chick-Fil-A.

I froze the other half for another time.

That beats James Joyce's calf's liver don't you think ?!

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream